CA - Mass shooting at Gilroy Garlic Festival, 3 dead up to 11 injured, 28 July 2019

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I don't think anyone accepts it as normal.

Apparently they just increased their security at the festival for the first time this year because of other recent shootings but the guy went through a creek and cut through a fence to get in.

It seems LE acted very quickly and took him down within minutes.
Since the suspect was just spraying bullets everywhere there could have been many more casualties if they had not acted so quickly.

There has been a lot of debate over how to stop shootings like this but apparently it's not that simple. It seems if there is some determined lunatic out there they are going to find a way to kill people. Imo

I think what has become the "new normal" is the gleeful finger pointing that happens afterwards. I've never seen that frenzy to hate when shootings first started (and I recall school shootings happening when I was a kid, and remember when "going postal" was a thing - the shootings aren't necessarily new.). People seem happy, actually happy and satisfied, to finger point. That's new, imo.

I remember people pulling together after tragedies. Now it's a like a scorecard that is kept to show how awful "the other side" is.

jmo

Unfortunately, it happens all over the world. I’m not going to get in a discussion about gun control but the crazies find a way to kill people no matter how they have to do it. Look at the bombings all over the world, people running other people down on sidewalks, people running through crowds slashing others with knives.

IMO we are not treating it as a new normal, but people who want to kill always find a way in free countries.

Putting all that aside, I feel terrible when anyone experiences these things, for the victims of yesterday’s shooting and others we’ve witnessed. And hope they find the second suspect quickly if that person exists.

Agree, to disagree.

More victims to come if the second suspect is not apprehended I am sure.

I think what has become the "new normal" is the gleeful finger pointing that happens afterwards. I've never seen that frenzy to hate when shootings first started (and I recall school shootings happening when I was a kid, and remember when "going postal" was a thing - the shootings aren't necessarily new.). People seem happy, actually happy and satisfied, to finger point. That's new, imo.

I remember people pulling together after tragedies. Now it's a like a scorecard that is kept to show how awful "the other side" is.

jmo
Yes, the debates, the hate and the blame has certainly become very common after a tragedy like this.
I'm sure the internet has contributed to that. Imo

Last edited:
What a brilliant business model. One that needs to go away, jmo. o_O

What could possibly go wrong with teaching impressionable young people these skills? :oops: Let them join the military, instead.

That's kind of irony isn't it? Not to start a gun debate but you learn far more in the military, and if he's gonna do something like this, he's gonna do it, whether he learned it in the military or wherever.

I think the root cause, is hatred. His own quote;

Legan also posted about a fringe white supremacist book written in 1890. Noted indivualist anarchist, revisionist historian and Holocaust denier James J. Martin called, the book, “…one of the most incendiary works ever to be published anywhere.”

Legan quoted from the book in a post accompanied by a Smokey the Bear sign about fire danger. He wrote: “Read Might Is Right by Ragnar Redbeard. Why overcrowd towns and pave more open space to make room for hordes of mestizos and Silicon Valley white tw@ts?”

Santino William Legan: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

"Moments ago
@GilroyPD
searched this sedan Nissan out front of the home on Churchill Place in #Gilroy where the 19-year-old shooter is suspected of living. Apparently, this is a family home. Santino William Legan's grandfather is a well known veteran. More details on
@kron4news"

Sara Stinson on Twitter
Quoting myself.

Looks like Churchill Place is a short street in Gilroy, not far from Christmas Hill Park where the festival was.

Google Maps

Edited to add: Street view on Google maps show a neighborhood of middle-class single-family homes.

jmo

THIS right here. Something the USA is doing is not working. I guess it has become a normal thing. Shrug your shoulders and go on your day. So very sad.

We have 327 million people here, the third largest nation in the world. China and India top us. I'll stay here. Yes, there are problems, but there are problems with violence all over the world.

We have 327 million people here, the third largest nation in the world. China and India top us. I'll stay here. Yes, there are problems, but there are problems with violence all over the world.
True, violence is everywhere. There are massive shooting everywhere every 3-5 days. Daily when school starts.
To each their own. Whatever the USA is doing it must be working, so continue doing it. While the world watches and wonders when they will see the light.

True, violence is everywhere. There are massive shooting everywhere every 3-5 days. Daily when school starts.
To each their own. Whatever the USA is doing it must be working, so continue doing it. While the world watches and wonders when they will see the light.

The other parts of the world best focus on their own problems. They don't have over 300 million people to CONTAIN,(as it seems they'd wish), yet they feel they can solve other nation's problems. Not sure what "light" you speak of. It seems those seeking dark are the ones who perpetrate these crimes. and we, as a people, can't wipe out their darkness, and "fix" everyone.

Last edited:
i can't see which house that one in linked report is....doesnt match on churchill pl on google maps

Snips from article just released at link at bottom:

The gunman who police say opened fire at a California festival, killing three and injuring 15 others, has been identified as 19-year-old Santino William Legan, CBS News has learned.

Some witnesses said he suddenly appeared from behind a stage before beginning to shoot.

Police at the scene found a backpack belonging to Legan that contained rifle ammunition, CBS News has learned.

"It was random," said witness Cheryl Low, who was working a vendor booth at the festival. "He shot one shot, then he put the clip in, and he just started moving shooting back and forth, walking towards our tent because that's where most of the people were in that area, and he started just shooting."

The ATF is tracing the ownership history and origins of the weapon and has canine units searching the area for shell casings, CBS News' Jeff Pegues reports.

A woman who lives across the street said Santino Legan had not lived there for at least a year, and SWAT officers came to the home Sunday night. Jan Dickson called the Legans "a nice, normal family."

What we know about California festival shooter Santino William Legan

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
azouheir
Back