CA - Massive fire at Oakland warehouse party, 36 dead, 2 Dec 2016 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This video gives an overview of the neighborhood and the reporter gives some insight into why so many people were probably illegally living in the building:

[video=youtube;w7DF5rKLm5g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7DF5rKLm5g[/video]

The District Attorney's Office has criminal investigation teams actively looking at the fire with the other law enforcement agencies involved in investigating the fire, according to a statement from the City of Oakland.
Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf told ABC News that she has ordered an investigation into the building's troubled history, including a complete review of all records of complaints. Libby also told ABC that she ordered an independent analysis into the city’s handling of this building and others like it.
The Oakland Fire Department responded to reports of a structure fire at the warehouse known as the "Ghost Ship" on 31st Avenue at around 11:32 p.m. on Friday night. Oakland Fire Chief Teresa Deloach Reed said Ghost Ship appeared to function as a residential building that hosted a makeshift artists' studio, as well as parties like the one that took place on Friday night.
It's unclear if the building was equipped with smoke alarms, the fire chief added. http://abcnews.go.com/US/33-bodies-recovered-oakland-warehouse-fire-search/story?id=43964350

This is an example of the advertisements. Posted on the now memorial page last night. I have removed the phone numbers. Also posted at that site by someone familiar with the building and it's occupants was a post relating to a third secret exit on the second floor. An exit made through the cement into the auto building next door. I hope that posting this is not against TOS...if so...my apologies.

Someone was posting his phone number and an address for him all over his Facebook post. I think that was taking it a little far. I get that people are angry, but safety should still be taken into consideration. Everyone deserves the right to a fair trial and I hope that fair trial will produce some serious prison time for this guy.

Oakland warehouse fire: Who is the man behind the ‘Ghost Ship’?
http://www.mercurynews.com/2016/12/04/oakland-warehouse-fire-who-is-the-man-behind-the-ghost-ship/

This caught my attention.
Danielle Boudreaux, a former friend of the couple, told the Associated Press she had a falling out with Almena when she persuaded Allison’s parents and sister about a year ago that the warehouse was a dangerous place for the couple’s three children to live.

“Oh my God, the children,” Allison’s relative Claudette Selvin, of Gardena, said Sunday upon hearing about the fire but learning the children were safe.

Almena’s Facebook posts, under the account Derick Ion, hinted at what some described as his growing instability. Others say drug use was widespread at the warehouse.

EXCLUSIVE: The 'arrogant' man behind illegal artist enclave where at least 33 died in fire checks into a hotel - as friends claim he LAUGHED at warnings that his condom-littered commune popular with drug users was a DEATH TRAP
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ed-commune-popular-drug-users-DEATH-TRAP.html

And DailyMail.com has also spoken to the nanny who worked for Almena and his wife Micah who tells how the couple would disappear to wild parties for five nights at a time leaving her to care for their three children.

And the mother-of-two, who has a son who attended school with Almena's children, said she and others had become increasingly alarmed about living conditions at the Ghost Ship.

She said the property became more and more squalid as time went on.

'There were piles of wood with nails sticking out, cat faeces, tall piles of laundry of mildewed clothes, there would be food all over the place,' she said.

Very tragic for Oakland. I read the warehouse was a tinderbox. That warehouse should of never been used for any party venue. I wonder what caused the fire.

I have read Derick Ion Almena is a questionable person.

I feel so devastated for Gitana. We could not get hold of my sister. We could not find her. Never thought I would be calling a coroner's office. We found her. You guys, it was a horror. The fear we felt is not something I cannot even understand. I am so sorry for Gitana. I cannot even express in words how awful it is and how sorry I am. So sorry for everyone. It's a tragedy. I am so angry. So damn angry.

Oakland warehouse fire: Who is the man behind the ‘Ghost Ship’?
http://www.mercurynews.com/2016/12/04/oakland-warehouse-fire-who-is-the-man-behind-the-ghost-ship/

This caught my attention.
Danielle Boudreaux, a former friend of the couple, told the Associated Press she had a falling out with Almena when she persuaded Allison’s parents and sister about a year ago that the warehouse was a dangerous place for the couple’s three children to live.

“Oh my God, the children,” Allison’s relative Claudette Selvin, of Gardena, said Sunday upon hearing about the fire but learning the children were safe.

Almena’s Facebook posts, under the account Derick Ion, hinted at what some described as his growing instability. Others say drug use was widespread at the warehouse.

Very tragic for Oakland. I read the warehouse was a tinderbox. I wonder what caused the fire.

I have read Derick Ion Almena is a questionable person. That warehouse should of never been even used for any party venue.

I have heard a lot of people speculate that the fire was started by the electrical wires. He was stealing electricity from the auto shop next-door and there were faulty wires everywhere. TOTALLY PREVENTABLE! So many things could have been done differently and there wouldn't be all this heartache. Ugh! I'm so angry!

This was not a legitimate club - it was just a crash pad for people and they held a party there.

That warehouse should of been torn down period. The stairs are just wooden pallets.That is beyond appalling!

I feel so devastated for Gitana. We could not get hold of my sister. We could not find her. Never thought I would be calling a coroner's office. We found her. You guys, it was a horror. The fear we felt is not something I cannot even understand. I am so sorry for Gitana. I cannot even express in words how awful it is and how sorry I am. So sorry for everyone. It's a tragedy. I am so angry. So damn angry.

Blue, your sister was in this fire too??

This is an example of the advertisements. Posted on the now memorial page last night. I have removed the phone numbers. Also posted at that site by someone familiar with the building and it's occupants was a post relating to a third secret exit on the second floor. An exit made through the cement into the auto building next door. I hope that posting this is not against TOS...if so...my apologies.

Atrocious. That is just plain out tangential! I had to read it twice to try and keep up! Smoking is fine?

I have read the same thing about an exit that was blocked off cause it goes into the auto building, I assumed to steal utilities,

Pretty clear he is seeking "residents"-- the ad is just all over the place.

I am sorry to say this, but I think we may have some humm humm humm issues - posting a YT running around in a circle??

Not in mood now, but am starting to wonder if we are heading into Austin on YT - tomm I will see if he has more posts on YT.

The other one was pretty out there as well. No clue what he was talking about. While watching it occurred to me that the guy sitting next to him appears not to have a clue what he is talking about either!!

And it struck me as he was talking to himself out loud (!) when I saw it!!

I have heard a lot of people speculate that the fire was started by the electrical wires. He was stealing electricity from the auto shop next-door and there were faulty wires everywhere. TOTALLY PREVENTABLE! So many things could have been done differently and there wouldn't be all this heartache. Ugh! I'm so angry!

I am surprised he did not get stopped for that right there. I wonder if that auto shop was aware of it and reported it.

The joint had 48 complaints guys
there are exterior shots I have not seen unreal a pig sty

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/oakland-warehouse-dangerous-prior-fire-43963717

Atrocious. That is just plain out tangential! I had to read it twice to try and keep up! Smoking is fine?

I have read the same thing about an exit that was blocked off cause it goes into the auto building, I assumed to steal utilities,

Pretty clear he is seeking "residents"

Looney is the only word that is coming to mind the more we learn

Smoking could cause a fire right there along with the wires used to steal electricity.

The wooden pallet stairs and exits being blocked.

Appalling is not even a good way to describe it.

This is a perfect storm of disaster!

We are 2500 miles away from my sister. Her phone was left behind. She was shocked and couldn't remember phone numbers. Her friend found my dad's email from his employment website and got our numbers. She checked into a facebook page before the email, and my friend called me to tell me. (We don't facebook.) That's how we found her. We are heading to be with her. All she could would say about it was "there were *advertiser censored**ing pegs for stairs.

Please forgive me if this has been asked and answered but why the different names for the victims? Seems like some have a name and then another name in parentheses. I do not understand this.

Blue, your sister was in this fire too?? My condolences on your loss.:rose::rose::rose:

I'm sorry, I'm going on an incredible lack of sleep. My sister is alive. We could not get a hold of her for some time. It was a nightmare. Her friend who has no family in the US also made it out.

Text I received from Gitana: Can you please tell them all I've seen their prayers and posts of support and they've made me cry. And that the mayor has been incredible. Sitting with us. Holding our hands. So professional and incredible. And the community has been intense with their support.

Gitana and blue22, sending (((vibes))) of strength and comfort to you and your families. I cannot even imagine. This is horrifying and so damned unnecessary. ♡♡♡

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

We are 2500 miles away from my sister. Her phone was left behind. She was shocked and couldn't remember phone numbers. Her friend found my dad's email from his employment website and got our numbers. She checked into a facebook page before the email, and my friend called me to tell me. (We don't facebook.) That's how we found her. We are heading to be with her. All she could would say about it was "there were *advertiser censored**ing pegs for stairs.

There is a Facebook page for Oakland residents to check in and say they are safe. 2 of my friends checked in, but I really wasn't worried that they would be going to raves.

'Ghost Ship' One of Country's Deadliest Building Fires in Half-Century
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...deadliest-building-fires-half-century-n691766

Deadliest public assembly and nightclub fires
http://www.nfpa.org/public-educatio...deadliest-public-assembly-and-nightclub-fires

Deadliest fires and explosions in U.S. history
http://www.nfpa.org/news-and-resear.../deadliest-fires-and-explosions-in-us-history

This is one of the deadliest fires in US history. It would be the deadliest nightclub fire since The Station Nightclub fire on February 20, 2003. The deadliest fire is on September 11, 2001 when two hijacked airplanes crashed into the World Trade Center towers setting them ablazed. The building crashed to the ground and claimed nearly 2,800 lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliver