Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
helpful post Ty

A whistleblower in all this, with regard to the hazards of the building, was a neighbor and friend of Almena and Allison, Danielle Boudreaux, whose kids go to school with their kids. She says she had a falling out with the couple after alerting Child Protective Services as well as Allison's parents that the children were living in unsafe conditions. The kids were removed for six months, as the Chron reports, in early 2015, sent to live with their grandparents in Southern California, but returned by July 2015 and had been continuing to live there ever since.

I am sorry I am getting uneasy feelings with this - living there since 2015 and the family is staying in a local hotel the night the building burns to the ground.

If, for that long neither parent cared that their children lived in that environ since 2015 why on Friday were his wife and kids in a hotel??

It will be interesting to see about insurance?

moo
BBM

Just to clarify, according to Ion's FB the kids were not returned until May 2016. They came back to the warehouse in early June. The Chronicle got it wrong. I assume that they stayed in a hotel on party nights to avoid further CPS problems.

Did you get any sense of how many where there and how many got out? maybe the numbers will be soothing.

That video from the guy in there an hour before was comforting it did not look like there were many there.

Maybe there were less in there than thought - would that not be wonderful

This AM when the death toll jumped brought back intense feelings of the news conference on Pulse when it went from 20 to 50 - it was a moment I will never forget.

I have not asked. She said there were not many people outside. :(
She stayed pretty briefly, which is probably what saved them. The crowd was much younger than her, so they called it a night. She said they were headed down the palates (I'm guessing that's stairs...?) when they heard and felt downstairs. That's all she has said. I'm not asking questions right now. She is not offering more. We are communicating by phone currently, as our flight is tomorrow.

Gitana just called me.

She was adamant that you all know how much she appreciates all your kind words and love. It means so much to her during this awful time.

Gitana also asked that no one set up any sort of fund for her family. While she greatly appreciates the thought she would rather try and help her brother get the funds from the fundraising sites going on now for the families.

She needs your help with something else. She needs your incredible sleuthing skills.

Gitana wants to find out how her brother can go about applying for funds and making sure no one else tries to claim they are the next of kin and are the ones giving her sister-in-law the funeral.

https://www.youcaring.com/firevictimsofoaklandfiredec232016-706684

Here is another fund set up for the families. While Gitana did not mention this particular fund why don't you try and find out the same things.

http://grayarea.org/initiative/fire-relief-fund-ghostship-oakland-fire/

1- Find out exactly what her brother has to do to apply for the funds

2-How does the fund make sure the money is going to the proper next of kin. Proper being the legal next of kin who has the right to hold the funeral.

Post what you find out here and I'll make sure she sees the information.

Thank you for all your help.

Tricia

It doesn't appear that the answers to the two questions are available yet on either youcaring or grayarea sites. It seems that they will be consulting with city officials about how to distribute the money. Perhaps Gitana and her family could designate a local friend to keep in touch with both sites for answers to those very valid questions as they become available.

From the Gray Area site:

The fund will be held and administered by Gray Area Foundation for the Arts, as a 501c3 we can accept tax-deductible contributions for causes that support our community mission.

http://grayarea.org/initiative/fire-relief-fund-ghostship-oakland-fire/

Gray Area is using YouCaring to collect donations. From the YouCaring site:

We are forming an oversight committee, talking with Oakland authorities, and will be sure the funds are allocated appropriately to fire victims and with due diligence
. There will be public disclosure through the fund page and via Gray Area disclosing how these funds are spent, while also maintaining anonymity for the grieving friends and family members affected by this event. We are waiting on official word from authorities prior to making further decisions but our hope is to provide relief for Funeral, Medical and Health related expenses first and foremost.

We as collective community are in mourning, many people are immediately impacted by this horrific event, not only in the region, but internationally. In these times of divide, it is critical that we band together.
--- The above message was updated as of Sunday December 4th, 2016 9:32pm to help alleviate some of the inquiries we are receiving as we are also grieving.

https://www.youcaring.com/firevictimsofoaklandfiredec232016-706684

Anyone who is in the position of building inspector or fire marshall for this city is being paid to do a job. To have let this situation go, to close one's eyes to one's legally required duties can and often does result in harm. As we have seen in this sad case.

There will likely be plenty of blame to go around, but somebody had ultimate responsibility for preventing this kind of a thing. That person will have to take a goodly amount of the blame for this.

Looks like DI deleted his Facebook page. I think he probably should have done that yesterday.

Gitana, have had you in my thoughts since you shared your tragic news. I'm so sorry.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

A few ideas for Gitana's brother so he can prove he is the one who should receive donation money for burial...:( (I hate writing that.)

Make sure he has a marriage license from whatever county they were married in. I realized just before our 50th anniversary this year that we had never bothered to send for ours. :doh: So I ordered it online from Alameda county (we were married in Oakland). I think it costs about $18.

Proof of a joint checking account and/or a contract both have signed, such as a rental agreement or mortgage.

Gitana may have ideas since she has mentioned that she specializes in family law, but it might save time to gather these things soon.

Sending more hugs. :heartbeat:

I am sending virtual *hugs* and support to Gitana's family, and blue's. In no way can I fathom your fears, pain and loss. This devastating tragedy is beyond my scope of comprehension. I am just so sorry. Hugs. Hugs. Hugs. Hugs. Hugs.

I will think about important ways to secure proper donation distribution so predators can't take advantage. In the interim, other than Lilibet's list above a few things popped in my head immediately: their mutual children's birth certificates (I didn't read the whole thread so I apologize if I have this wrong), a will, a life insurance policy with beneficiaries listed, and pretty much just any legal documents and contracts that they might have both signed and had notarized could help build a case in his favor.

You know what really blew my mind -- when I found poster ads on line for concerts, with a $5 cover ........again please................!!!

OT:

CARIIS, please don't scare us all by disappearing for too long like a week back.

You are on our " mia posters" thread........!!

Love your posts.

I can't begin to imagine the horror the people in that building went through. :tears: My heart is breaking for Gitana. And Blue, so good to hear your sister made it out. :heartbeat: Both of you are in my thoughts.

Warning! Mildly graphic comment follows.

I was looking at the photos of the pallet stairway. IMO that was a big factor in the high death count. Survivors described the stairway as a ramp and then just pallets stacked up willy nilly, not like real steps. If you go to this link:

http://www.oaklandghostship.com/

and count down to the 17th photo, you can see the pallets. In the very next photo you can see the ramp part of the stairway, which I guess it the part where there were only pegs for footholds. You can see the handrail behind the blue bike. See how steep it is? Between the two parts was a 90 degree turn. The stairway was wide enough for one person.

Imagine trying to get down that stairway in pitch darkness through billowing smoke and flames. And those pallets probably caught fire within minutes. For that stairway alone Derick Ion should be charged with 33 counts of manslaughter.

I can't begin to imagine the horror the people in that building went through. :tears: My heart is breaking for Gitana. And Blue, so good to hear your sister made it out. :heartbeat: Both of you are in my thoughts.

Warning! Mildly graphic comment follows.

I was looking at the photos of the pallet stairway. IMO that was a big factor in the high death count. Survivors described the stairway as a ramp and then just pallets stacked up willy nilly, not like real steps. If you go to this link:

http://www.oaklandghostship.com/

and count down to the 17th photo, you can see the pallets. In the very next photo you can see the ramp part of the stairway, which I guess it the part where there were only pegs for footholds. You can see the handrail behind the blue bike. See how steep it is? Between the two parts was a 90 degree turn. The stairway was wide enough for one person.

Imagine trying to get down that stairway in pitch darkness through billowing smoke and flames. And those pallets probably caught fire within minutes. For that stairway alone Derick Ion should be charged with 33 counts of manslaughter.

Thank you so much. I linked 17 earlier but didn't notice 18.

It makes me sick to think about people trying to escape this deathtrap.

I keep remembering the comment made by an expert earlier today regarding pallets, "They are fuel and air".

http://68.media.tumblr.com/0eaf75ddc31949b894411849fce058bf/tumblr_oafs8qOKlx1ucsb75o1_1280.jpg

http://68.media.tumblr.com/d0e8df299cfdb9ad01ed1082723ede97/tumblr_oafs8qOKlx1ucsb75o2_1280.jpg

Gitana, you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers during this awful time of tragedy.

Gitana, I am so thankful that your brother is not alone and has you and your Mother to be with him during this devastation.:rose: These will be rough Holidays but you have each other and all the prayers from those that love and care for you. :grouphug:

Former tenant: Run-down Oakland warehouse was a 'death trap'

A former tenant says the Oakland warehouse known as the "Ghost Ship" was a treacherous, makeshift living space

http://www.usnews.com/news/us/artic...t-run-down-oakland-warehouse-was-a-death-trap

Boudreaux said she had a falling out with Almena after telling Allison's parents and sister a year ago that the warehouse was a dangerous place for the couple's three children to live."I had told her parents explicitly that the warehouse conditions were not safe," Boudreaux said. "Half the time they didn't even have running water, let alone heated water. They were using little electric heaters. There was cat (feces) everywhere. Piles and piles of random driftwood that had nails sticking out of it."

She said Almena continually moved pieces of wood around the space.

"Two weeks later it could be a completely different configuration," she said. "Even people who knew the building would have a hard time getting out."

[
I'm sorry, I'm going on an incredible lack of sleep. My sister is alive. We could not get a hold of her for some time. It was a nightmare. Her friend who has no family in the US also made it out.

I feel so devastated for Gitana. We could not get hold of my sister. We could not find her. Never thought I would be calling a coroner's office. We found her. You guys, it was a horror. The fear we felt is not something I cannot even understand. I am so sorry for Gitana. I cannot even express in words how awful it is and how sorry I am. So sorry for everyone. It's a tragedy. I am so angry. So damn angry.

Blue, this has been a tremendously stressful time for you and your family. I am so glad to know your sister has been found alive. Go to her, hold her close, and be grateful for this bit of joy amongst such horror. :hug: Will keep you in my thoughts.

Text I received from Gitana: Can you please tell them all I've seen their prayers and posts of support and they've made me cry. And that the mayor has been incredible. Sitting with us. Holding our hands. So professional and incredible. And the community has been intense with their support.

Caught up here, and sad that we have no confirmation of Girtana's SIL. Sending out continuing prayers and emotional hugs for her and all who are with her. I cannot imagine the pain and confusion of having to deal with such a tragic event. My heart just aches to hold her close. :praying:

My sister in law was at the rave. We cannot find her. She's not answering her phone which is dead. The coroner said she's on the unaccounted list. Please
pray for us. I'm on the plane to Oakland. Her name is Jennifer Mendiola. My brother is flipping out.

Oh no :(

Will keep her in my prayers, Gitana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members