CA - Massive fire at Oakland warehouse party, 36 dead, 2 Dec 2016 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My sister in law was at the rave. We cannot find her. She's not answering her phone which is dead. The coroner said she's on the unaccounted list. Please
pray for us. I'm on the plane to Oakland. Her name is Jennifer Mendiola. My brother is flipping out.

Prayers for you and your family and virtual hugs.

My brother lives in Oakland. He is okay, physically. Emotionally, not so much.

Death Toll in Deadly Warehouse Fire Rises to 30 as Search Goes On

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/04/us/warehouse-party-fire-oakland-search.html?_r=0

<snipped from article>
The building, which they described as “a labyrinth of artist studios,” had been under investigation for several months. Officials said escape from the building, which had only two exits, might have been complicated because the first and second floors were linked by an ad hoc staircase made of wooden pallets.

On Sunday, the authorities said that three families of victims had been notified, but that other names would be released “in the coming hours.” On Saturday afternoon, a list of those missing, compiled by friends and family, had grown to about 35 people.

Firefighters arrived just before midnight Friday, and the fire was still smoldering more than 12 hours later.

One survivor, Aja Archuleta, 29, a musician, was scheduled to perform at the electronic music party with her synthesizers and drum machines around 1 a.m. and was working at the door when the fire broke out around 11 or 11:15 p.m.

“There were two people on the first level who had spotted a small fire that was growing quickly,” she said. “It was a very quick and chaotic build, from a little bit of chaos to a lot of chaos.”

"Due to the Chimney affect caused by the open stairwell built with wooden pallets. It would have been virtually impossible to escape the Ghost Ship fire trap from the second floor using this route, imo'..

Example of how rapid a fire can spread; Live burn shows just how quickly #Christmas tree fires can turn devastating and deadly.
National Fire Protection Association - Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/theNFPA/videos/10153389168292753/

Prayers from Appalachia for gitana1.

Death Toll in Deadly Warehouse Fire Rises to 30 as Search Goes On

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/04/us/warehouse-party-fire-oakland-search.html?_r=0

<snipped from article>
The building, which they described as “a labyrinth of artist studios,” had been under investigation for several months. Officials said escape from the building, which had only two exits, might have been complicated because the first and second floors were linked by an ad hoc staircase made of wooden pallets.

On Sunday, the authorities said that three families of victims had been notified, but that other names would be released “in the coming hours.” On Saturday afternoon, a list of those missing, compiled by friends and family, had grown to about 35 people.

Firefighters arrived just before midnight Friday, and the fire was still smoldering more than 12 hours later.

One survivor, Aja Archuleta, 29, a musician, was scheduled to perform at the electronic music party with her synthesizers and drum machines around 1 a.m. and was working at the door when the fire broke out around 11 or 11:15 p.m.

“There were two people on the first level who had spotted a small fire that was growing quickly,” she said. “It was a very quick and chaotic build, from a little bit of chaos to a lot of chaos.”

__________________________________________________ ________________

"Due to the Chimney affect caused by the open stairwell built with wooden pallets. It would have been virtually impossible to escape the Ghost Ship fire trap from the second floor using this route, imo'..

Example of how rapid a fire can spread; Live burn shows just how quickly #Christmas tree fires can turn devastating and deadly.
National Fire Protection Association -

[video=youtube;xr6b9b8FYKk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xr6b9b8FYKk[/video]

Here is a map to the building that was linked in the story Traceyrita posted. Link to the page where the image is bigger:

http://www.eastbaytimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/sjm-oakfire-1204-92-012.jpg

View attachment 105578

I was just looking at that

makeshift kitchen: camp stove with butane tanks

Sigh

This place looks cool in theory, I mean it's like having a treehouse but for grown ups. I see the appeal, but....

Health and safety was clearly not a priority, In reality it's a death trap

My sister in law was at the rave. We cannot find her. She's not answering her phone which is dead. The coroner said she's on the unaccounted list. Please
pray for us. I'm on the plane to Oakland. Her name is Jennifer Mendiola. My brother is flipping out.

Thank you. I'm on the plane. Helpless afraid to look up more info on Facebook. Trying to get to my brother. He's out of his mind. He just had two friends have their spouse and girlfriend die and said, "I'm so lucky." I can't handle this.

Gitana does have internet access, but she doesn't feel up to posting yet, so she's asked me to convey that they are hanging in there and she's going to go to the next press conference. I was happy to find that 5 Bay Area sports teams have made large donations in the tens of thousands of dollars to the families. They will need it.

Thank you so very much for keeping us as updated as you possibly can, LinasK. I imagine many of us are feeling so helpless in wanting to do more than post our support/prayers/hopes/hugs, but it is all we know to do right now. It is understandable that our Gitana is not able to post herself, but she has made many friends (even some she did not realize) here. We are all sending love her way. I do hope all these families have as much support as they will need during this awful time. It has me on-edge, I can not even imagine the pain and sadness they are dealing with.

:grouphug: :praying:

I read on reddit a comment by a firefighter about how they use pallets in training because they are the best source of kindling. He said they throw them behind couches, in trunks of cars, etc. Can't believe that guy constructed stairs out of them.. and horrible stairs you could barely go up and down. Those poor people had no escape. He created a death trap. A horrible death trap. This is so terribly upsetting.

One of the experts on TV (I think is was MSNBC) said of the pallets "they are fuel and air".

What a horrible horrible (avoidable) tragedy.

So many lives lost and many more risked due to...greed.

CNN and FOX NEWS are saying they will carry press conference. Scheduled for 5 minutes from now.

I assume ktvu will carry also.

http://www.ktvu.com/live

I was just looking at that

makeshift kitchen: camp stove with butane tanks

Sigh

This place looks cool in theory, I mean it's like having a treehouse but for grown ups. I see the appeal, but....

Health and safety was clearly not a priority, In reality it's a death trap
BBM
It would have definitely drawn me, especially in my younger years. I've been to my fare share of less than safe situations.

CNN now claims 30 deceased found, man was talking about art from all over the world, presser at 6 pm EST
Prayers to all, thinking of you and yours GITANA!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela