CA - Massive fire at Oakland warehouse party, 36 dead, 2 Dec 2016 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Still watching KTVU. They were just interviewing a fire expert, didn't catch his name or qualifications. He pointed out in one video that there was an aluminum ladder against a window and it had melted. Aluminum melts at 1,221 degrees, and that was outside the building. I know nothing about fires but that must be unusally hot or fire departments wouldn't even have aluminum ladders, right? Good heavens I don't know where I'm going with this...I just hope those poor people went quick and didn't suffer. Bottom line, of course, this should never have happened.
Devastating.

I was on my zoning board for years. I imagine it is the same everywhere. There is no enforcement power with a zoning board. The zoning board makes plans and hears petitions for variances or conditional use permits.

If there is a permit violation, the building inspector is asked to check. If it is a violation, then working with the owner and if no compliance, then the legal system is put into play with law enforcement giving citations and then court orders. These things can take years.

I imagine there may have to be a court order in order to enter a building. Not sure of that.

Thanks human. Anyone who thinks the city should have taken action sooner is not being realistic. Even with complaints and clear evidence of people living there, it's a legal nightmare. We have laws the government has to follow that can make enforcement extremely difficult. I know of a closed down nursing home in Eureka, CA that was overrun by squatters. Neighbors were extremely vocal about the blight. Before they could be moved, a homeless advocate group filed a lawsuit. That delayed the removal. I have a feeling the same thing would have happened here. JMO

The fire and deaths were caused by Derick Ion using the building improperly. Any other blame is miniscule in comparison.

Yes, and apparently one of the FB invites had the incorrect location marked which likely saved many lives.

I posted this earlier, but I think it deserves repeating.

Some people may have had their lives saved by a typo.

One man who had planned to attend Friday’s show, who asked that his name not be used, said friends he intended to meet there didn’t make it because of a mapping error on a Facebook listing.

The map on the Facebook event page marked the site on 31st Street instead of 31st Avenue, sending the friends to the wrong place.

“There’s a bunch of people who didn’t show,” he said. “There could have been a lot more casualties.”

I wonder if the owner had insurance on the ramshackle structure? I doubt there will be enough to cover the lawsuits that will be forthcoming from this tragedy.

I was on my zoning board for years. I imagine it is the same everywhere. There is no enforcement power with a zoning board. The zoning board makes plans and hears petitions for variances or conditional use permits.

If there is a permit violation, the building inspector is asked to check. If it is a violation, then working with the owner and if no compliance, then the legal system is put into play with law enforcement giving citations and then court orders. These things can take years.

I imagine there may have to be a court order in order to enter a building. Not sure of that.

I'm guessing the owner never inspected her property. She took the renter at his word and he flat out lied. But even for a warehouse, aren't sprinklers still required at a minimum?? Not to mention smoke detectors, fire extinguishers, metal stairways, marked exits, windows not blocked.

I wonder if the owner had insurance on the ramshackle structure? I doubt there will be enough to cover the lawsuits that will be forthcoming from this tragedy.

Even if it was insured, there had to be misrepresentations on how it was used. Not an insurance expert, but seems like that would void the policy.

I'm guessing the owner never inspected her property. She took the renter at his word and he flat out lied. But even for a warehouse, aren't sprinklers still required at a minimum?? Not to mention smoke detectors, fire extinguishers, metal stairways, marked exits, windows not blocked.

The requirement for sprinklers probably depends on whether the warehouse was built before sprinklers were required. The same with smoke detectors, fire extinguishers, etc. A building intended for storage, not as a workplace or living place, probably has fewer standards. I haven't searched through the Fire Code, but that seems logical to me. If the owner changed the intended use, she would have to retrofit the building to comply with the code for its new uses. JMO

Regarding the owner inspecting the warehouse. We rented a house for three years from a property management company representing an out-of-state owner. Not once did the manager inspect our home. The owner did a drive-by once a year, and we were notified. But I don't believe she could ring the doorbell and ask to come in and check things out. For all they knew, we could have been cooking meth (it happens). Renters have legal rights, which is great if you're a renter, but not so much if you're an owner who doesn't want their property destroyed (I've never been a landlord, but I've talked to people who are). It's quite a dilemma.

From all accounts, the owner of the warehouse is a "nice lady" (quote in early article). I expect she's both devastated for the lives lost and consulting her attorney, as anyone should.

Live statement:

"Getting into an area where we are finding more bodies."

Live statement:

"Getting into an area where we are finding more bodies."

My thoughts and prayers are with Gitana and the other families of possible victims. :heartbeat:

Jax please keep updating, not getting local coverage here and I'm passing on info to Gitana. She & her family have gone to a hotel to get some rest.

What channel?

I was watching KTVU FOX2 online. Instead of the briefing that was supposed to be on the hour, two people came to microphones 5 minutes early and said the next briefing would be at 2 PM (5 PM Eastern).

The new time and the statement I posted were the only things I heard.

ETA: That was the end of their coverage, but I have the window open whenever they come back.

Slight update: 24 bodies recovered, 20% of warehouse searched. Further updates will release names. 3 identified and notified.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Houndgirl2003