CA - Massive fire at Oakland warehouse party, 36 dead, 2 Dec 2016 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know if the owners of the building ever came by and inspected it? My DH heard their daughter interviewed on the radio yesterday, but he wasn't sure if she mentioned if they live in CA or someplace else. I am sure this has already been answered, but can someone please tell me if the man who was renting out the spaces was allowed to sublet as per his lease? TIA!

I believe the building owner knew what the building was being used for. I'm sure she was perfectly happy as long as she got her check every month.

Owner of Oakland warehouse says no one lived in building, daughter says

The warehouse is owned by Chor N. Ng, said her daughter, Eva Ng, 36. She said the warehouse was leased as studio space for an art collective and not used as a dwelling.

"Nobody lived there," she told The Times, adding: "It was an art collective."

She said she had asked her leaseholders about the issue and been reassured nobody lived in the building. "They confirmed multiple times. They said sometimes some people worked through the night but that is all," she said.

Owner of Oakland warehouse says no one lived in building, daughter says

Such a tradgedy for so many families! But, if the tenants were told to hide when the owner was coming by, that just tells us that the people renting the property are not honest people. What had they told the owner they were renting it for? So far I've heard (news) and read that people lived there, but also a concert was going on? Also it was an artist loft/studio? How many things can one place be? I saw that terrible interview on TV this morning with one of the renters and his attitude was horrific! I'm just dumbfounded on how they are handling this! I'm sure they are scared due to the issues that they will be held liable for, but for goodness sake, they seem to only be concerned with themselves. Does anyone know of any renters that were currently living there that has given any interviews about these 2 men? Conditions? What were they charging people to live there? So many questions and I'm sure after this morning, there is an attorney with them now.

Not sure how often, but according to this article Ng (parent or daughter?) did come by sometimes. (BBM):

The Ghost Ship was run by a married couple, Derick Ion Almena — also known as Derick Ion — and Micah Allison, whom residents described as the master tenants who rented the building and sublet parts of it to others. The building was owned by Chor Nar Siu Ng, who lives elsewhere in Oakland. It is unclear what Ms. Ng, who could not be reached for comment, knew about conditions inside.

Current and former tenants said that when Ms. Ng or her daughter came by, Mr. Almena and Ms. Allison told tenants to pack away bedding and cooking supplies. Justin Manchester, who lived in the building for six weeks in 2014, said that the master tenants told other residents to hide in a nearby Wendy’s restaurant when Ms. Ng visited.

“They would usually prepare for days,” he said, and they would tell tenants to “make your space look like nobody had been staying there.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/05/us/oakland-fire-ghost-ship-warehouse.html?_r=0

Wow, thank you very much.

I feel very sorry for Micah's and Derick's parents and grandparents of their children. Can you imagine the worry they have lived with?! They got the kids removed, but they were later returned. Michael Allison has said that Derick's mother and sister are good people and he hopes the kids can go back to them.

His description of DA is chilling, including DA's self description. No wonder we see Manson in his eyes.

Almena’s father-in-law, Michael Allison, agreed — saying he wanted the self-described “thriller love child of Manson, Pol Pot and Hitler” to be punished to the fullest extent.
“[Almena] needs to be sent away to prison for a long time because he’s a menace, he’s an absolute menace — a plague, a danger,” the dad told the Daily Mail. “He’s crazy, I mean the guy’s completely crazy.”

http://nypost.com/2016/12/05/owner-of-oakland-rave-cave-was-a-negligent-father-and-drug-addict/

so what we have been thinking has been put to words by family member! BBM

who would clean up after the bands and party? wasn't afraid of noise if owners came by?

She's there at the Sherriffs Center for the victims. I'm with her for the moment.

I'm so embarrassed I missed this post! Bless you, lots of gentle hugs to you both. :hug:

Jennifer's mother posted about an hour ago on the FB page devoted to remembering Her.

"Her father and I just got back from Oakland from giving our DNA so Jen could be Identified."

This just keeps hurting more and more. :tears:

so awful :(

Jennifer's mother posted about 3 hours ago on the FB page devoted to remembering Her.

"Her father and I just got back from Oakland from giving our DNA so Jen could be Identified."

This just keeps hurting more and more. :tears:

BBM

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ghost-ship-oakland-fire-20161204-story.html

Who owns the building?

The Oakland warehouse is one of several properties owned by Chor N. Ng, according to her daughter, Eva Ng, 36. She was adamant that the warehouse was being leased as studio space for an art collective and not used as residences.

Eva Ng said she had been reassured by the lease holder that nobody lived in the building. "They confirmed multiple times. They said sometimes some people worked through the night, but that is all," Ng said.

Still, one former tenant told The Times that he remembered at least 10 people living inside the warehouse. Bradley Evans, who moved out in August 2015, said the man who collected the rent lived in the building with his wife and three children.

The man instructed tenants to tell the landlord they were working on art projects and not living there full time, said Evans, 21. The landlord “came by once a month to collect the money and didn’t ask any questions,” he added.

Ng said she believed the building had smoke detectors and two second-floor exits, both wooden stairs. She was not familiar with a report that one of the stairs was at least partly made of pallets. But she was aware that there had been parties in the building.

"It's Christmas, after all," she said.

Only just found this thread. Gitana, I am so sad to hear about the loss of your beloved family member, thoughts with you from across the pond. And bless you, Linask, for being with her x

BBM

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ghost-ship-oakland-fire-20161204-story.html

Who owns the building?

The Oakland warehouse is one of several properties owned by Chor N. Ng, according to her daughter, Eva Ng, 36. She was adamant that the warehouse was being leased as studio space for an art collective and not used as residences.

Eva Ng said she had been reassured by the lease holder that nobody lived in the building. "They confirmed multiple times. They said sometimes some people worked through the night, but that is all," Ng said.

Still, one former tenant told The Times that he remembered at least 10 people living inside the warehouse. Bradley Evans, who moved out in August 2015, said the man who collected the rent lived in the building with his wife and three children.

The man instructed tenants to tell the landlord they were working on art projects and not living there full time, said Evans, 21. The landlord “came by once a month to collect the money and didn’t ask any questions,” he added.

Ng said she believed the building had smoke detectors and two second-floor exits, both wooden stairs. She was not familiar with a report that one of the stairs was at least partly made of pallets. But she was aware that there had been parties in the building.

"It's Christmas, after all," she said.
Oh goodness whatever. Christmas parties in places where people live don't generally charge a cover. Ugh.

Eta: and there were parties before this one. Well it is Columbus Day...?

She's there at the Sherriffs Center for the victims. I'm with her for the moment.

Okay guys, I wasn't really able to post from there on my phone. I'm back home now, and Gitana appears to be headed home for the time being. Still no ID yet on her SIL, but the waiting was unbearable. I met her and picked her up at her hotel, we drove by the building- it looks way different to see it in person. Then we went to the Sherriffs Center. They have been absolutely wonderful to the victims- tons of food, blankets, chaplains, mental health counselors. Then Mayor Schaaf and the sherriffs gave a briefing. The victims families get the news first. I want to emphasize that there are still about 90 names on the missing lists on the wall- and they are updated often, but some are duplicates- like her SIL was also listed by her alias.
I missed the press conference set for 3:00 on my way home, but hopefully they released these facts: 117 people have been located safe- that doesn't mean they were actually at the party, but that people have reported they might have been. 90% of the building has been cleared. They had to stop work again because of the danger of the wall collapse. And the mayor has been completely transparent about the housing complaint violations- she ordered release of all of them on the property (30 pages worth). Also the A.C.S.O is being sensitive to trans-gendered victims. They can list whatever gender they prefer on their certificates, even if it wasn't the sex of their birth.
Gitana's brother and mother met us there and they are wonderful, sensitive people. My heart goes out to them. They were taking Gitana to the airport- she wanted to fly home this evening, and they may join her tomorrow. Still no word on Jennifer, but tomorrow may bring more definitive news. And even if it's not being said, they are treating the warehouse as a crime scene.

the warehouse was in a shady area and Oakland is pretty big. I wouldn't go there late at night.

I would definitely not want to be in this area of Oakland at night. It's in a heavily gang area. A block from Bart.

This fire has got me this about my own personal fire safety.

I had already been planning to replace my smoke detectors because I recently learned that life expectancy of smoke alarms is only about 10 yrs, after that their sensors can lose sensitivity. Even though I replace the batteries and test my smoke detectors twice a year but I saw where the test button only confirms that the battery, electronics, and alert system are working; it doesn’t mean that the smoke sensor is actually working.

And my son had been bugging me as to what I wanted for Christmas. Last night I told him new fire extinguishers as mine are over 10 yrs old too.

Please everyone check your own safety equipment too!

If you have a multi story home also make sure you have fire ladders in each bedroom. We have them under every kids bed and ours in our house.

I read that all the victims in Oakland died of smoke inhalation. I'm not sure if that brings any comfort to me, personally. I'm still raging mad that they were subjected to the horror in the first place. So much life left to live. It's tragic. It shouldn't have happened.
That's not accurate.

I just learned of this from another thread, and I am just heartbroken for those loved ones of the victims. Gitana1, you are such an asset to WS, and you are so giving to share your knowledge and opinions with us. Know that we are thinking of you and your brother in this terrible time and sending you much love. LinasK, thank you for being there and sharing your insight. It is much appreciated. I don't know what else to say, but I am glad to have learned about Jennifer and what a bright light she is to her family, friends, fellow artists and colleagues. So very sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kellieshoes