CA - Massive fire at Oakland warehouse party, 36 dead, 2 Dec 2016 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This fire has got me this about my own personal fire safety.

I had already been planning to replace my smoke detectors because I recently learned that life expectancy of smoke alarms is only about 10 yrs, after that their sensors can lose sensitivity. Even though I replace the batteries and test my smoke detectors twice a year but I saw where the test button only confirms that the battery, electronics, and alert system are working; it doesn’t mean that the smoke sensor is actually working.

And my son had been bugging me as to what I wanted for Christmas. Last night I told him new fire extinguishers as mine are over 10 yrs old too.

Please everyone check your own safety equipment too!

Have just been checking out the rentals in Oakland...WOW...outrageous. How anyone can afford to live there is beyond me. A two bed/one bath older type plain jane apartment...700sq.ft. $1500. plus $1500. deposit. That's $1989. CAD. On top of that one would have their utility bills. This was about the cheapest available. I can certainly understand how some people are having to live in warehouses and why the slum landlords and predators like Derick Ion have taken advantage of this situation.

I have a much better appreciation of where I live now. I have had a $15.00 rent increase in eleven years. I live in a two bedroom townhouse, on the ocean, million dollar view, hot water heat system and hot water included, maintenance and yard work all covered as well....this for $615. per month, $463.USD, deposit here is half the rent. A three bedroom/two bath, full basement house rental goes for about $1500.
Where?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I agree. but in all fairness, I think anyone that entered that place would know it was not a legal, coded place.

Public safety...........when we go into a dance hall, we take it for granted that every code is up to date.
Personally I hardly ever looked for exists etc, when I was young we just went out for fun.
Never dreaming something horrific like this would happen.
Just trying to wrap my head around this.

Gitana, I am extremely sorry for your loss. I am sending my deepest condolences to you and your family. :heartbeat:

I live in SF and sadly, there are many more of these "collectives" throughout the Bay Area. The outrageous rent prices and lack of affordable housing do play a part. It's devastating to watch the constant news coverage on something so tragic. My heart goes out to those victims and families. And I think anyone who has ever attended an "underground party" or "rave" in the past 25 years have probably and unknowingly been subject to similar places. Truly tragic.
I have absolutely NO comment on who is ultimately responsible. I like to not be in time out...! :)

I said as much yesterday. I live close by and that plce is dirt cheap and probably in a very bad area. a studio in a safe area is about that much.

Have just been checking out the rentals in Oakland...WOW...outrageous. How anyone can afford to live there is beyond me. A two bed/one bath older type plain jane apartment...700sq.ft. $1500. plus $1500. deposit. That's $1989. CAD. On top of that one would have their utility bills. This was about the cheapest available. I can certainly understand how some people are having to live in warehouses and why the slum landlords and predators like Derick Ion have taken advantage of this situation.

I have a much better appreciation of where I live now. I have had a $15.00 rent increase in eleven years. I live in a two bedroom townhouse, on the ocean, million dollar view, hot water heat system and hot water included, maintenance and yard work all covered as well....this for $615. per month, $463.USD, deposit here is half the rent. A three bedroom/two bath, full basement house rental goes for about $1500.

Hi, Hmm I tried quoting and it disappeared, trying again...
I am not sure what area of Oakland you were looking in, but $1500 is very cheap for the East Bay. In a nicer area (near to Berkeley) you will expect to pay around $3500 a month before utilities, this is for a 2 bed. 1 1/2 bath house. There are many young artists who have been forced out of the city (SF) and moved over here, only to find that it is just as expensive. I have heard that they are now forming communities in Vallejo for the more affordable rent. HTH!

@debbiegarcia - Where? The place in Oakland? http://ohapd.gosection8.com/default.aspx

Here? BC coast Canada. Far from the maddening crowd. Small town/pop. about 3000. I grew up in cities from Inverness/Glasgow/Coventry/Vancouver/Toronto etc. Never want to live in another. Love the fresh air, artesian water and open spaces. Mind you there are the disadvantages as well.

As sad as it might be, I hope this incident brings awareness and perhaps some day saves some of us or our loved ones.

It clearly got me thinking.

A lovely heartfelt post CARIIS...there really are no words....only feelings of an overwhelming sadness, pain and anger.

My heartfelt condolences to Gitana, her family, and all the others that have lost loved ones.

Oakland Art Space Founder Refuses to Answer Interview Questions as DA says Charges Are Possible in Blaze

by Inside Edition11:44 AM EST, December 6, 2016

Anger continues to rage as the man who founded the “Ghost Ship” artists’ colony, where 36 people lost their lives in a warehouse inferno, tries to distance himself from any blame.

Derick Almena spoke to the Today show outside the Oakland warehouse Tuesday morning in a volatile interview...

http://www.insideedition.com/headli...-interview-as-da-says-charges-are-possible-in

I said as much yesterday. I live close by and that plce is dirt cheap and probably in a very bad area. a studio in a safe area is about that much.

My nephew lives down the street from the Ghostship in another artist loft that probably isn't up to code either. His rent is $600 per month and he can barely afford that as a starving musician. We spent a harrowing Saturday morning tracking him down. My thoughts and prayers are with Gitana, all the families and loved ones of those beautiful souls who are no longer with us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My nephew lives down the street from the Ghostship in another artist loft that probably isn't up to code either. His rent is $600 per month and he can barely afford that as a starving musician. We spent a harrowing Saturday morning tracking him down. My thoughts and prayers are with Gitana, all the families and loved ones of those beautiful souls who are no longer with us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

so glad another person was found .... I am sure it was a very anxious time for you. :hug:

Does anyone know if the owners of the building ever came by and inspected it? My DH heard their daughter interviewed on the radio yesterday, but he wasn't sure if she mentioned if they live in CA or someplace else. I am sure this has already been answered, but can someone please tell me if the man who was renting out the spaces was allowed to sublet as per his lease? TIA!

http://www.ktvu.com/news/221889635-story

According to Alameda County Sheriff Greg Ahern, evidence at the scene of the deadly warehouse fire suggests the source of the fire may have been a refrigerator. One of the people who escaped the fire told authorities there were flames coming from the refrigerator. "On that back wall, there's a significant 45 degree angle burn," said Sheriff Ahern, which could indicate it was the source of the fire.

Does anyone know if the owners of the building ever came by and inspected it? My DH heard their daughter interviewed on the radio yesterday, but he wasn't sure if she mentioned if they live in CA or someplace else. I am sure this has already been answered, but can someone please tell me if the man who was renting out the spaces was allowed to sublet as per his lease? TIA!

Not sure how often, but according to this article Ng (parent or daughter?) did come by sometimes. (BBM):

The Ghost Ship was run by a married couple, Derick Ion Almena — also known as Derick Ion — and Micah Allison, whom residents described as the master tenants who rented the building and sublet parts of it to others. The building was owned by Chor Nar Siu Ng, who lives elsewhere in Oakland. It is unclear what Ms. Ng, who could not be reached for comment, knew about conditions inside.

Current and former tenants said that when Ms. Ng or her daughter came by, Mr. Almena and Ms. Allison told tenants to pack away bedding and cooking supplies. Justin Manchester, who lived in the building for six weeks in 2014, said that the master tenants told other residents to hide in a nearby Wendy’s restaurant when Ms. Ng visited.

“They would usually prepare for days,” he said, and they would tell tenants to “make your space look like nobody had been staying there.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/05/us/oakland-fire-ghost-ship-warehouse.html?_r=0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cliff77