CA CA - Matthew Greene, 39, Mammoth Lakes, 16 July 2013

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This note from Matthew's brother was posted a few hours ago on the Find Matthew Greene Facebook page:

Last summer, while I was in Mammoth Lakes, we received word that a couple camping adjacent to Matt saw our poster upon their annual return and called the number for the PD, stating they spoke with Matt and offered for him to join them on a hike, which he declined.
I know this is a long shot, but if you are that couple or know them, can you please have them reach out to me? I just want to review what is recollected, however big or small, in an effort to aid some investigation and possible searches for later this year.
I am sorry for the lack of posts; there simply is no news. We still have individuals voluntarily working diligently to investigate and/or search for Matt. Any information helps. Thanks to all still thinking of us.

https://www.facebook.com/findmattgreene?fref=ts

Another year gone by. I really hope that this family is able to get answers someday and is able to find closure.

Haven't had a chance to read this yet, but I still follow the Supertopo thread and wanted to share a new longform article recently posted there:

http://www.climbing.com/people/vani...appearance-of-a-climber-in-the-sierra-nevada/

"The first snowfall of the year is usually a beautiful and joyous celebration in the small ski town of Mammoth Lakes in California’s Eastern Sierra, but the early October snow in 2013 was disheartening for the searchers of a missing Pennsylvania man. Hope was fading with the inevitable change in season, and those close to Matthew Greene were starting to understand the grave reality that he may never be found. From more than 2,500 miles away, his loved ones experienced a tug of war between despair and optimism, feeling helpless across the country as they went through the motions of their daily lives. . . . "

I was in Mammoth in August 2013, and I've been following Matt's story since that time. I hope that he is found one day.

I know this reply was from years ago, but mammoth is like 20 min from Yosemite.

wa
That is crazy that it took them over two weeks to figure out he was missing. I was a bit confused as to why they originally thought he was in Yosemite as Yosemite is close to 100 miles away from Mammoth. Just read on the Facebook site listed above that SAR don't believe he had anything with him that would indicate he was planning on going hiking overnight. So sad. Hope he is found.

No it isn't, I was there in July. I drove from the Bay Area. You drive across Yosemite (which is huge) the eastern gate is like 20 -30 min tops from mammoth lakes.

Yosemite is about a two hour drive away from Mammoth.

I still check in to see if Matthew or any sign of him has been found yet. I ran across a book published by a SAR member who has been searching for him. It's called The Shortest Straw by Dean Rosnau. I just finished reading it and learned so much from it. I'm glad that Matthew has not been forgotten.

I still check in to see if Matthew or any sign of him has been found yet. I ran across a book published by a SAR member who has been searching for him. It's called The Shortest Straw by Dean Rosnau. I just finished reading it and learned so much from it. I'm glad that Matthew has not been forgotten.

Sounds like an interesting book!

I have been following Matthew's case from the beginning...

Even camped at the campgrounds in Mammoth he camped at before he went missing..

I am glad he has not been forgotten too!

How cold anyone forget those eyes..? Such rich color.

I just learned about this case on one those terrible robot voice creepy YouTubes, but I knew he'd have a thread here. Thinking of him. [emoji170]

Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk

Some climbers recently found remains but they don't think it is Matthew (BBM):

Because the body was so decomposed, investigators believe it’s possibly been there for decades.

They have ruled out that it’s 1st Lt. Matthew Kraft, a Marine from Connecticut who vanished in February during a nearly 200-mile (320-kilometer) ski trek through the Sierra. Derr also doubts it’s Matthew Greene, a Pennsylvania climber last seen in the Mammoth Lakes area — nearly 70 miles (112 kilometers) north — in 2013.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...6ec632-f075-11e9-bb7e-d2026ee0c199_story.html

UID Thread: CA - CA - Skeletal Remains Buried w/Leather Belt/Shoes, Btw Mt Tyndall & Mt Williamson, 7 Oct 2019

A story I started in 2014, about Matthew Greene and it’s finally out in this magazine.

greene_matthew.jpg
greene_matthew2.jpg
greene_matthew4.jpg
greene_matthew8.jpg

greene_matthew_gear.jpg

Greene, circa 2013; Gear resembling Greene's gear
  • Missing Since 07/13/2013
  • Missing From Mammoth Lakes, California
  • Classification Lost/Injured Missing
  • Sex Male
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 09/08/1973 (49)
  • Age 39 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'11, 170 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description A black t-shirt over a long-sleeved green shirt, a blue baseball cap with the letters "OR" in white on the front, and mountaineering approach shoes. Carrying his wallet, a digital camera, a Verizon Blitz cellular phone, a large black and white Mountain Hardwear backpack, a Petzl Quark ice axe, Black Diamond crampons. He was also either carrying or wearing yellow La Sportiva mountaineering boots. Photos of items similar to some of his gear are posted with this case summary.
  • Distinguishing CharacteristicsCaucasian male. Brown hair, blue eyes. Greene wears eyeglasses. He has severe astigmatism and without his glasses his vision is very poor.

Details of Disappearance​

Greene was last seen in Mammoth Lakes, California on July 13, 2013. He was vacationing in California with friends, climbing in the Sierra Nevada mountains. His car developed mechanical problems and he dropped it off at a repair shop. He planned to drive to Colorado to join other friends for more mountain climbing when the car was repaired.

Greene last spoke to his parents on July 16. He said he was going to go out in the mountains for one more long day and that he expected to get his car back on July 18. He never picked up his car, never returned home to Pennsylvania and has never been heard from again.

Since his disappearance, his credit cards and phone have not been used. The last ping from his phone was on July 16; the ping indicated the phone was in the vicinity of the Ansel Adams Wilderness.

On July 21, the host of the campground where Greene was camping reported a "missing or overdue person" to the police; Greene had not paid for his campsite for three days. His camping equipment, food and clothes were still there, but some climbing gear was missing. The items left at the campsite were packed and put in storage. Greene wasn't actually reported missing until July 29.

Based on what was missing from Greene's belongings, it was possible to determine what he was probably wearing and what gear he had with him when he went missing. He didn't have any overnight gear on him.

Authorities found his copy of High Sierra: Peaks, Passes, and Trails, a mountaineering guidebook. Two pages, from the chapter about titled "The Minarets and June Lake", were missing. Greene often tore pages out of guidebooks for places he wanted to go, then replaced the pages in the book after his trip.

His destination may have been Mount Ritter, which was covered in the pages torn out of the guidebook. The trailhead is eight miles from the road, and phone service in the area is limited. If he had in fact tried to climb Mount Ritter and gotten lost or injured, he probably could have only survived three to five days without shelter.

Nearly a month after Greene went missing, a hiker found a pair of glasses resembling his in the Inyo Craters region. The glasses, however, did not match Greene's prescription; they were not his.

At the time of his disappearance, Greene worked as a math teacher at Nazareth Area High School in Pennsylvania. He attended Clemson University and graduated from Pennsylvania State University, and went on to serve as a Peace Corps volunteer in Papua New Guinea. He's described as an experienced, skilled and cautious mountaineer.

He has since been declared legally dead; investigators believe he met with an accident in the mountains, possibly a fall. His remains have never been found.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LDowden72
Back