CA CA - Matthew Weaver, 21, Santa Monica Mountains, 10 Aug 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats truly unfortunate. Provided the troubling and questionable circumstances of Matthew's disappearance and given great consideration to all the crime that has occurred in this area, i think it would be necessary to explore other possibilities, a criminal investigation should be implemented at this point in time.

I agree, I do feel the general public will need to apply more pressure on LE that just our family though. We have been asking about that since the beginning with no results. LE has been very helpful but seem reluctant to pursue a criminal investigation for whatever reason.

I agree, I do feel the general public will need to apply more pressure on LE that just our family though. We have been asking about that since the beginning with no results. LE has been very helpful but seem reluctant to pursue a criminal investigation for whatever reason.
There really is no harm in searching every avenue of possibility with a case like this.
Are there any suggestions or thoughts on how we as a community can motivate LE to investigate the criminal aspect of this spectrum? Not sure if it will work but what about a petition of some kind?

The security camera footage has been written over. I believe it was looked at in the very beginning and was determined the story checked out. I will follow up with this to make sure. There has been so much information exchanged it is difficult to remember if everything was followed up on.

MalibuBarbie79 has not contacted me, we (family) do not know who that person is.

Paycheck was not that much really, he could not have had much cash. I can only speculate on the exact amount.
Was MW possibly upset with his Dad?
Maybe he was unhappy the amount of the check was so low. Why was it so low? Did he work sporadically? Did his work ethic change after moving in with roommates?
From what I've gathered, the car was in his Dad's name. Was MW making payments on it or had he in the past?
Or was the car a gift from his dad? Maybe he was making payments to his Dad which might explain why his check was small.

I’m an old fogey, so when it has been said that Matthew was “partying” during the time he was with the female friend, may I get a more precise definition for that? Is that going to a nightclub, a house party, his apt, or something else? I’m trying to picture the likelihood of others seeing him during those hours with the woman.

I think others may have suggested this as well, but if Matthew drove up the trail thinking it (mistakenly) a possible thing to do, but then car parts such as the bumper were falling off along the way due to the rough, rocky path—-odd he didn’t pick up the parts, which would seem the normal thing to do.

I don’t know those hills, so might I get clarification, if possible, to orient myself better on the area the car was located? Do we know exactly where the SnapChat video by Matthew was taken? Was it from the Lois Ewen Overlook, which is at the junction of Stunt, Schueren & Saddle Peak? And this is also where the white metal gate is for the short 1-mile walk up to Rosas Overlook, correct? And is Lois Ewen Overlook the area where people normally park to do this hike?

In the NBC Dateline article, it stated, that after the 7:12am spotting of the car driving near the gated area,
A couple of hours later, Brooke says phone records show he exchanged a few text messages with the girl he’d been partying with earlier.
“A couple of hours later” would mean about 9am, right? What were these texts about?

I think someone mentioned a while back in this thread about the caves in the area? I’m wondering if these caves have been considered more as a focus in any searches? I have heard about these caves and that people might be living in them and now after seeing the armed man disappear into the wilderness I would think it might be a good idea to investigate.

I think someone mentioned a while back in this thread about the caves in the area? I’m wondering if these caves have been considered more as a focus in any searches? I have heard about these caves and that people might be living in them and now after seeing the armed man disappear into the wilderness I would think it might be a good idea to investigate.

I was waiting for a reply hopefully from someone that is familiar with the caves and could show us where they are, either in person or on a map. We are more than willing and able to investigate any leads at this point.

I was waiting for a reply hopefully from someone that is familiar with the caves and could show us where they are, either in person or on a map. We are more than willing and able to investigate any leads at this point.

I found 2 articles about the subject. The first was posted 22 hours ago and 2nd was about where the guy was when shot at.

Armed Survivalist Sought In Malibu Creek State Park Slaying

Malibu Canyon Area Shootings Continue: Resident Targeted in Carbon Canyon Hillside - The Local Malibu

Topanga Lookout Trail. Topanga, California.

This article talks about an abandoned car and natural caves below the tower (with pictures)
Very cool, hike below the fire tower leads to abandoned car and natural caves!
23300 Saddle Peak Road, Topanga Canyon, CA 90290

LE is treating this as a missing persons case, so no criminal investigation at this time.

Does anyone have some insight into when LE might change a case from missing person to criminal investigation? I would have thought the abandoned, damaged vehicle was perhaps enough to look into this as more than just a MP case. Is there a period of time LE typically waits? Or will some new evidence have to be found to turn this into a criminal investigation?

The backbone trail is very long and travels through this whole area. From what I heard I think there are more caves but deeper in the wilderness. I have a friend that knows the trails better than I do. I’m going to ask him tonight if he knows of any other caves in the area.

The security camera footage has been written over. I believe it was looked at in the very beginning and was determined the story checked out. I will follow up with this to make sure. There has been so much information exchanged it is difficult to remember if everything was followed up on.

MalibuBarbie79 has not contacted me, we (family) do not know who that person is.

Paycheck was not that much really, he could not have had much cash. I can only speculate on the exact amount.

He worked for his dad right? Can you find out if his check was cashed, how much, what time, and where? It would be one more piece to add to the puzzle. And banks have cameras.

Also, do you know the nature of his last financial transaction?

Does anyone have some insight into when LE might change a case from missing person to criminal investigation? I would have thought the abandoned, damaged vehicle was perhaps enough to look into this as more than just a MP case. Is there a period of time LE typically waits? Or will some new evidence have to be found to turn this into a criminal investigation?

It turns into a criminal investigation once they uncover evidence pointing to a criminal. If you are asking when homicide detectives get involved, usually its by day 10-30. It is almost certain they are pursuing suspicious death angles in this case, IMO

Your guess is as good as mine. IIRC, the Mc Stay case was a missing person case until their bodies were found.

It turns into a criminal investigation once they uncover evidence pointing to a criminal. If you are asking when homicide detectives get involved, usually its by day 10-30. It is almost certain they are pursuing suspicious death angles in this case, IMO

Probably not. I've dealt first hand with this. It will stay MP most likely until a body is found or solid proof of a crime.

They are not pursuing suspicious death angles according to the Detective assigned to the case. We are trying to convince them to open it up, hopefully some more time and pressure will get us there if necessary.

He worked for his dad right? Can you find out if his check was cashed, how much, what time, and where? It would be one more piece to add to the puzzle. And banks have cameras.

Also, do you know the nature of his last financial transaction?

He works for an acquaintance of his fathers. He was being paid cash and has no bank account or credit cards.

He works for an acquaintance of his fathers. He was being paid cash and has no bank account or credit cards.
I am sorry if you find my questions non sensical but there is a reason I ask them. If MW was paying for the car and it was "his" it seems more likely that he wouldn't want it damaged.
That the moment the driving got tough on the trail, he would have reversed himself other than going as far as he did. (Unless he was out of his head).
If he and his Dad have issues and the use of the car held over his head, he may not have cared that he was tearing up the bumpers and the underbelly. Just trying to get a feel for familial relationships.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grumpie13