CA CA - Matthew Weaver, 21, Santa Monica Mountains, 10 Aug 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is an overhead view (Google earth) of Rosa's Overlook and the roads going to it including the road MW was on. You can zoom down to were his car was and it is truly frightening.

Follow the route back (as maybe he was doing). There is the tower parking lot to the left. Maybe he waded through the brush there (it doesn't look like a huge mass of shrubs) as it would have given him a shorter route.

https://earth.app.goo.gl/?apn=com.g...0FAIeSMF8G1qF3AKg5Sb3NhcyBPdmVybG9vaxgBIAEoAg

If you look again, it is there already.
Yes, but it says 11:53am which is the time the text messages were exchanged. His phone call to her according to his aunt was at 11:30am. (23 minutes earlier) I feel like this is significant since no other phone activity was shown between his call at 11:30 and the text message exchange 23 minutes later.

Sorry, not trying to be annoying about this at all. I really like the timeline..it helps to check up on things quickly.

Last edited:
Yes, but it says 11:53am which is the time the text messages were exchanged. His phone call to her according to his aunt was at 11:30am. (23 minutes earlier) I feel like this is significant since no other phone activity was shown between his call at 11:30 and the text message exchange 23 minutes later.

Sorry, not trying to be annoying about this at all. I really like the timeline..it helps to check up on things quickly.
Yes, I see now. You're not being annoying. I just checked my paper notes and rechecked what I typed in the timeline. I typed 11:53 twice instead of 11:30 when he called her.

Not sure how to change it. I think edit options are not available after a certain time. Any suggestions? I do everything on my phone and it's difficult navigating.

More than a dozen LA County Sheriff's deputies Saturday combed Malibu Canyon with the aid of three helicopters after a park worker reported talking to a man who fit the description of a rifle-toting burglar spotted in the area last Sunday.

Bloodhounds were being brought in to search the canyon south of the Malibu Creel State Park campgrounds, where 35-year-old Irvine resident Tristan Beaudette was shot to death in his tent June 22 while camping with his two daughters.

Sheriff's Enforcement Bureau deputies used a helicopter to ferry more than a dozen crates of surveillance gear and other tactical items for a search that may extend into the night.

Dozens of squad cars were spotted in the canyon between Calabasas and Malibu by a reporter from KBUU radio.

So sorry again about the mistype.

Maybe in that 20 minute gap he continued driving and took the right fork around the Rosa's Overlook.
Maybe she didn't respond right away because she's not allowed to have her phone out at work. He may have known that and didn't attempt to call anyone else because he didn't have their numbers and he may have been too frightened to call home knowing they'd be upset and worried.

If you look at the Google earth shot (and dang, my link didn't work) you can zoom down to the path where he ended up. I don't know how accurate the picture is of that path is but it was very narrow with the drop off on the one side.
He may have continued to think this was a "legitimate" road and thought it would lead him out eventually. Instead, his wheel went over the side and he was stuck.
So the next question (if you believe this scenario) is what would he have done next.

Maybe in that 20 minute gap he continued driving and took the right fork around the Rosa's Overlook.
Maybe she didn't respond right away because she's not allowed to have her phone out at work. He may have known that and didn't attempt to call anyone else because he didn't have their numbers and he may have been too frightened to call home knowing they'd be upset and worried.

If you look at the Google earth shot (and dang, my link didn't work) you can zoom down to the path where he ended up. I don't know how accurate the picture is of that path is but it was very narrow with the drop off on the one side.
He may have continued to think this was a "legitimate" road and thought it would lead him out eventually. Instead, his wheel went over the side and he was stuck.
So the next question (if you believe this scenario) is what would he have done next.

Used his phone to call for help? If phone was dead and he had no charger in his car maybe hike up to the platform to look for someone, or hike to the microwave tower. From what I've read the microwave tower is now private property and was being turned into a private residence.

Used his phone to call for help? If phone was dead and he had no charger in his car maybe hike up to the platform to look for someone, or hike to the microwave tower. From what I've read the microwave tower is now private property and was being turned into a private residence.
Yes. I thought perhaps he hiked away from the car to where the 2 paths join, hike a bit down that main trail until he could diagonally go through the brush to the tower place.

What happened inbetween the phone call and the texts...that is exactly what I'm trying to figure out. I did at first think that maybe he was driving inbetween, however it sounds like @joeconejo said his car was on the video from the tower going up the hill early in the morning (7.12am). So if something happened at 11:30 that triggered him to call his new female friend and to talk while he still can as he said...then why didn't he call or text anybody else when she didn't answer the phone? I don't know it seems fishy to me.
@joeconejo Did your family hear the 911 call? Were you able to find out whether the female friend mentioned anything about them using drugs that night? Was she able to give information about MW's plans after he dropped her off? Have you considered a private investigator?

What happened inbetween the phone call and the texts...that is exactly what I'm trying to figure out. I did at first think that maybe he was driving inbetween, however it sounds like @joeconejo said his car was on the video from the tower going up the hill early in the morning (7.12am). So if something happened at 11:30 that triggered him to call his new female friend and to talk while he still can as he said...then why didn't he call or text anybody else when she didn't answer the phone? I don't know it seems fishy to me.
@joeconejo Did your family hear the 911 call? Were you able to find out whether the female friend mentioned anything about them using drugs that night? Was she able to give information about MW's plans after he dropped her off? Have you considered a private investigator?

That's what the is for. To hire a private investigator.

Yes I also heard the microwave tower is privately owend and has construction trucks in and out of the road.

This video shows the situation at the microwave tower.

IIRC, the tower changed hands a few years ago and that's when the security came in.

Interesting. Is a security guard still around? If they gate was left open for MW to drive up there, somebody could have been up there by car, maybe working at the tower? @joeconejo How did the family get the security footage from the tower?

Unrelated but...another questions for @joeconejo Any information on where MW met his female friend that night? From the text messages it sounds like it wasn't at her house.

We did not hear the 911 call - only what LE has told us.
Female friend admitted to drug use that night.
She had no information to give regarding Matthews plans or intent.
P.I. services are being contracted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members