Still Missing CA - Maya Millete, 39, missed daughter's birthday, Chula Vista, 7 Jan 2021 *husband arrested* #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Year old article, essentially republished.

I ache that this story exists but I'm glad for the coverage because it shows the love and dedication Maya's family has... and that's an powerful message that one day 5 young people will need access to.

JMO

I caught half of this 48 hrs. program last night. I'd seen it before. While watching it I got a strong feeling that Larry will be found guilty of murdering Maya when this goes to trial.

It won't be easy because no body or remains have been found, but the circumstantial evidence they have is overwhelming. How his requests to the Spellcasters changed to include physical harm to maim her and keep her there. How she had just made an appt. with a divorce attorney that very day, and then she disappeared before her daughter's important birthday weekend. I believe he will be found guilty.

How I wish they could find Maya. It would help get a conviction, but more than that her children may need that to happen, to make it clear how and why their mother really disappeared. She didn't leave voluntarily. Prayers that Maya is found, please, let that happen soon.

All MOO

Monday, July 24th:
*Felony Readiness Conference Hearing (@ 8:30am PT) & Further Proceedings Hearing (@ 1:30pm PT) - CA - *May “Maya” Millete (39) (last seen @ home on Jan. 7, 2021, near San Miguel Ranch area, Chula Vista & reported missing Jan. 9, 2021 by her sister; not found). *Larry Ibarreta Millete (40/now 41) charged (10/18/21), arrested (10/19/21) & arraigned (10/21/21) & re-arraigned (1/25/23) with felony murder & felony possession of an assault weapon (a search warrant was served at the residence on 1/23/21. Detectives located a .223/5.56 rifle. The firearm is non-California complaint configuration & is an unlawful assault rifle in violation of 30605 PC, which is a felony). Plead not guilty. Held without bond. Denied bail (11/4/21). Found mentally competent to stand trial (9/26/22).
The case has been reassigned to the South Bay courthouse from Judge Dwayne Moring, the jurisdiction where the crime is alleged to have occurred & Judge Enrique Camarena will preside over the trial in Chula Vista.
Murder trial set to begin on 10/9/23.

Case & court info from 1/7/21 thru 6/2/23 reference post #678 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...-7-jan-2021-husband-arrested-5.600342/page-34

7/6/23 Update: Next felony readiness conference hearing on 7/13/23 & felony readiness conference & further proceedings hearing on 7/24/23.
7/13/23 Update: Next felony readiness conference hearing on 7/24/23 @ 8:30am & a further proceedings hearing @ 1:30pm.
*Guardianship Case: Family Court Case The judge said a final decision on custody of the children likely will not be made until after Larry's murder trial is concluded.
Conservatorship Case: Hearing on
8/10/23.

Larry is out of money....wants to be able to access house funds from the conservatorship.

From the Article above:
Camarena eventually ruled to allow the delay but that on the next hearing date — scheduled for Oct. 10 — he wanted a decision about whether Martinez would be staying on as Larry's defense attorney or he would need to appoint a public defender for him. Should a public defender be appointed, court watchers can expect a significant delay while Larry's prospective attorney gets caught up on the case.

Larry is out of money....wants to be able to access house funds from the conservatorship.

From the Article above:
Camarena eventually ruled to allow the delay but that on the next hearing date — scheduled for Oct. 10 — he wanted a decision about whether Martinez would be staying on as Larry's defense attorney or he would need to appoint a public defender for him. Should a public defender be appointed, court watchers can expect a significant delay while Larry's prospective attorney gets caught up on the case.

To be honest, replacing the defense attorney is welcome news, delay or not. Viewing Martinez during the prelim hearing was painful. MOO

ETA: From quoted link, Larry's trial is now scheduled for Jan. 16, almost three years to the date, Jan. 7, that Maya disappeared.

@Niner

To be honest, replacing the defense attorney is welcome news, delay or not. Viewing Martinez during the prelim hearing was painful. MOO

ETA: From quoted link, Larry's trial is now scheduled for Jan. 16, almost three years to the date, Jan. 7, that Maya disappeared.

@Niner
Good news, bad news.
Good is replacing Martinez. She's an embarrassment in the courtroom. Bad is waiting until Jan 16 for trial. moo

Good news, bad news.
Good is replacing Martinez. She's an embarrassment in the courtroom. Bad is waiting until Jan 16 for trial. moo
Hoping the investigation team uses the delay to launch a wider search area for Maya's remains. We know about the weekly Maricris-led searches but I don't think there's been enough reporting on when/where the police have searched. JMO

Prayers that the delay will result in providing more time for Maya's remains to be found making the trial even more of a slam dunk.

The replacement attorney will probably be better than his defense Martinez, and that could be a disadvantage. (MOO, he's got to end up with a sharper attorney than her.)

We all know somebody else in his family knows how Larry carried out his evil and the hiding of the body... if only those person(s) would talk, but there's been no pressure for them to tell. All MOO

7/25/23

At a court hearing in Chula Vista Monday, Millete’s defense team asked that the trial be delayed until January, with part of that reason being a lack of money for Millete’s defense.

Millete’s attorney also told the court that he was concerned about the defendant’s mental health.

In the end, the judge agreed to move the trial from Oct. 10 to Jan. 16, 2024.

From my email Alert:

THE FOLLOWING EVENT(S) HAVE BEEN REMOVED FROM CASE CS319857:

The event "Felony Jury Trial" scheduled for Oct 9 2023 9:00AM at the San Diego Superior Court, South County Division, South County Regional Center in department 10 has been Vacated.

THE FOLLOWING EVENT(S) HAVE BEEN ADDED FOR CASE CS319857:

Felony Readiness Conference scheduled for Oct 10 2023 1:30PM at the San Diego Superior Court, South County Division, South County Regional Center in Department 10.

Felony Jury Trial scheduled for Jan 16 2024 9:00AM at the San Diego Superior Court, South County Division, South County Regional Center in Department 10.

From my email Alert:

THE FOLLOWING EVENT(S) HAVE BEEN REMOVED FROM CASE CS319857:

The event "Felony Jury Trial" scheduled for Oct 9 2023 9:00AM at the San Diego Superior Court, South County Division, South County Regional Center in department 10 has been Vacated.

THE FOLLOWING EVENT(S) HAVE BEEN ADDED FOR CASE CS319857:

Felony Readiness Conference scheduled for Oct 10 2023 1:30PM at the San Diego Superior Court, South County Division, South County Regional Center in Department 10.

Felony Jury Trial scheduled for Jan 16 2024 9:00AM at the San Diego Superior Court, South County Division, South County Regional Center in Department 10.

@Niner -- My understanding is the Judge will decide in October whether or not LM can tap into the conservatorship monies from the sale of the house to pay for his defense which is pretty much a guaranteed denial. Judge also requested Attorney Martinez to decide if she's going to continue representing him or if Larry will be appointed an attorney on the next rotation from the public defender's office. ( I don't know if Martinez has the option to submit for serving as a contractor for the public defender's office or not). Generally, if the State has lawyers available, this isn't an option.

IMO, if he gets a new lawyer, I doubt his new lawyer will be ready for trial on January 16. That's very little time to prepare.

@Niner -- My understanding is the Judge will decide in October whether or not LM can tap into the conservatorship monies from the sale of the house to pay for his defense which is pretty much a guaranteed denial. Judge also requested Attorney Martinez to decide if she's going to continue representing him or if Larry will be appointed an attorney on the next rotation from the public defender's office. ( I don't know if Martinez has the option to submit for serving as a contractor for the public defender's office or not). Generally, if the State has lawyers available, this isn't an option.

IMO, if he gets a new lawyer, I doubt his new lawyer will be ready for trial on January 16. That's very little time to prepare.

I have the Conservatorship hearing on 8/10/23. And thanks for the additional info.

I have the Conservatorship hearing on 8/10/23. And thanks for the additional info.
The Conservatorship meeting you have for 8/10/23 was previously set pursuant to Maricris filing court papers to have a conservator take control of Maya's estate in her absence.

I was attempting to give you a heads-up on the October hearing, based on the most recent developments revealed in this week's hearing.

This was sooooo hard to watch.
Her sister & BIL are beyond heart broken.
I pray that monster made a mistake. And a cold case detective puts it all together & brings her home. Soon.

MOO
Only once before have I seen such palpable pain and anguish as exhibited by Maricris, and this was by Frank Rzucek, father of Shanann Watts, seated in the gallery at Chris Watts's first appearance. I'll never forget it. :(

1690434181662.png

Last edited:

7/25/23

At a court hearing in Chula Vista Monday, Millete’s defense team asked that the trial be delayed until January, with part of that reason being a lack of money for Millete’s defense.

Millete’s attorney also told the court that he was concerned about the defendant’s mental health.

In the end, the judge agreed to move the trial from Oct. 10 to Jan. 16, 2024.
Perhaps LM’s mental health could get a real boost by providing some “guesses” as to where MM can be found.

Amateur opinion and speculation

From the Article above:
Question for verified attorneys on the thread. Does it make sense for MM’s family to immediately start a civil case against LM for wrongful death (or equivalent) to relieve LM of any of the couple’s assets? MM’s estate should go in to a trust for the children with a fiduciary?

Question for verified attorneys on the thread. Does it make sense for MM’s family to immediately start a civil case against LM for wrongful death (or equivalent) to relieve LM of any of the couple’s assets? MM’s estate should go in to a trust for the children with a fiduciary?

I'm not answering OP's question directly, but offering a rule of thumb generally applicable to the majority if not all states about who can file a civil case for wrongful death.

Only a select group of people have standing to claim damages following a wrongful death and states generally follow intestate-- order of priority succession.

In other words, knowing that the decedent has a surviving spouse and children, it's a very safe bet that the Class 2 tier including parents and siblings of the deceased will be excluded, as a matter of law, because they don't have standing.

However, since wrongful death claims are time sensitive the exception for a parent or sibling to have standing would be if the surviving spouse and the children of the decedent are not present and can't be located.

Again, I'm not saying Maya's family (parents or siblings) can't file a civil case against LM for wrongful death, just that I doubt they are eligible. MOO

The Conservatorship meeting you have for 8/10/23 was previously set pursuant to Maricris filing court papers to have a conservator take control of Maya's estate in her absence.

I was attempting to give you a heads-up on the October hearing, based on the most recent developments revealed in this week's hearing.

Are you saying the hearing is NOT on 8/10/23? I do have the murder charge on 10/10.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx
Back