CA CA - Maya Millete, 39, missed daughter's birthday, Chula Vista, 7 Jan 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This excerpt from your article did indeed get my attention...
"...About a third of the time, the couple had argued right before the homicide took place, and about 12 percent of the deaths were associated with jealousy. The majority of the victims were under the age of 40....."

I should also like to point out that "romantic partner" doesn't necessarily mean a spouse.

Amateur opinion and speculation

correct, that 55% "intimate partner related" means anyone you're currently or have been in a relationship with or dated AND their families/friends - not just spouses. It's a very broad range. In fact it almost makes the "it's always the husband" trope look quite false.

(and yep, that 'recent argument' thing definitely was interesting.)

Huh? Coming back in to the US they always ask for a passport. Going in to Mexico they don’t.

Depending on what gov project she was working on, she might not have even been allowed to go in to Mexico, or she would have to ask for permission.

amateur opinion and speculation

pre corona i drove every few months into mexico. we just had ID and birth certificates and no problem coming back.

pre corona i drove every few months into mexico. we just had ID and birth certificates and no problem coming back.
I'm surprised you had no problem driving back into the US without a Passport. I haven't gone across in a long time, but I thought I had to have Passport to get back into the US. It must be your friendly, innocent face. :p

What Do I Need to Cross the Border From Tijuana to San Diego? (usatoday.com)
What to Bring
Have your passport or a valid photo ID ready when entering the border crossing. U.S. citizens must have a valid, unexpired passport or an Enhanced Driver's License to come back into the U.S. Resident aliens must have a valid green card. Children under the age of 16 can show an original or certified copy of a birth certificate when arriving into the U.S. via land. However, a passport is always the best option when traveling in and out of the U.S. Be sure your passport is valid for at least one month past your travel date and have a blank page for any stamps.

I'm surprised you had no problem driving back into the US without a Passport. I haven't gone across in a long time, but I thought I had to have Passport to get back into the US. It must be your friendly, innocent face. :p

What Do I Need to Cross the Border From Tijuana to San Diego? (usatoday.com)
What to Bring
Have your passport or a valid photo ID ready when entering the border crossing. U.S. citizens must have a valid, unexpired passport or an Enhanced Driver's License to come back into the U.S. Resident aliens must have a valid green card. Children under the age of 16 can show an original or certified copy of a birth certificate when arriving into the U.S. via land. However, a passport is always the best option when traveling in and out of the U.S. Be sure your passport is valid for at least one month past your travel date and have a blank page for any stamps.
That's the wishlist. all a US citizen is required to do is declare their us citizenship. USA can't deny entry to us citizens, but can impose conditions and civil penalties after entry. I wouldn't recommend the declaration method, because what happens is that it takes about 10-14 hours to confirm that you are a citizen, then you get fined. Source: I've done it. Did not have to pay a fine but was threatened with up to $5,000.

Last edited:
ok - that makes sense. Official docs. I just always used a passport.
They absolutely do "eyeball" you coming back in. I resist the impulse to be a smart alec that could result in hours of detention. : )

“Stats” are meaningless for individual cases. Who would even bother reading about missing women if “stats don’t lie”? Sure, if you want to put $1 on intimate-partner-did-it for every missing woman (at even odds), you’ll make some money. But dismissing the very real possibility of other perps and/or events because most of the time it’s a husband or boyfriend is myopic. IMO.

I never said it doesn't happen it just doesn't happen enough to ignore statistics.

This excerpt from your article did indeed get my attention...
"...About a third of the time, the couple had argued right before the homicide took place, and about 12 percent of the deaths were associated with jealousy. The majority of the victims were under the age of 40....."

I should also like to point out that "romantic partner" doesn't necessarily mean a spouse.

There is a good reason spouses are always looked at first.

I was just sitting here mulling over all the possibilities of where May might be. We've certainly discussed lots of different ideas: foul play by the hand of either her husband or unknown lover, off hiking and injured, ran off to Mexico, self-harm, and the possibilities go on.

As I sit here and push off the improbabilities, it does seem to distill down to either foul play by the hand of her husband, or injured while hiking.
While he seemingly has motive (*if* she told him she wants a divorce), I still don't rank this guy high on the list as a probable Perp. Of course, I could be wrong, I have been before.

I think the searches in the parks and trails near May's residence should be researched, thoroughly. I speculate she will be found not far away at all.

I was just sitting here mulling over all the possibilities of where May might be. We've certainly discussed lots of different ideas: foul play by the hand of either her husband or unknown lover, off hiking and injured, ran off to Mexico, self-harm, and the possibilities go on.

As I sit here and push off the improbabilities, it does seem to distill down to either foul play by the hand of her husband, or injured while hiking.
While he seemingly has motive (*if* she told him she wants a divorce), I still don't rank this guy high on the list as a probable Perp. Of course, I could be wrong, I have been before.

I think the searches in the parks and trails near May's residence should be researched, thoroughly. I speculate she will be found not far away at all.

I haven't developed a firm opinion either. This is a result of the scant information the public has at this point.

Your comment that "you don't rank this guy high on the list," is probably because the only insight into his personality is a voice in a phone call. We haven't had the opportunity to observe body language, gauge language vs body language, etc. LM's absence in the public has protected him from scrutiny, IMO...MOO.

(RSBM, RBBM)

I read that her phone was left at home. Was that since thrown into question? If her phone was indeed left behind, I find it improbable she went for a hike, especially since her sister stated that May liked to track her movements with phone apps etc. Plus a responsible parent like May wouldn't want to be without her phone for extended periods in case her children needed her. This is why I think May going for a hike is really unlikely.

I read that her phone was left at home.

Hi and Welcome. No, her phone was not found at the home. All attempts to contact her, I've heard went straight to voice mail. Her sister said in that Access video that Maya wouldn't just turn off her phone. In any case, her phone was not found at the home.

Husband fears for missing Chula Vista wife, mom of three (10news.com)
"It appears she took her phone but has not responded to any phone calls."
"I text her, I don't know if she's getting it, I say, 'hey babe, at least let us know ... or call someone,'" Millete said."
"Her Jeep, which she would take to meetups with other Jeep owners, is still at home."

Chula Vista family hires investigator to help in search for missing mom (10news.com)
"Millete's car is still at her Chula Vista home. There has been no activity on her bank statements and her phone goes straight to voicemail."

Find May/Maya Millete - Posts | Facebook

Maya Millete | Facebook

Where Is Maya Millete? Search For Missing California Mom Of 3 Continues | Access (accessonline.com)

Hi and Welcome. No, her phone was not found at the home. All attempts to contact her, I've heard went straight to voice mail. Her sister said in that Access video that Maya wouldn't just turn off her phone. In any case, her phone was not found at the home

Hi! Thanks for all your insightful posts in this thread!

Of course, you are right! I totally confused leaving her phone at home with her phone being off. That's what I get for being on Websleuths at 3am when I should be sleeping...

So if a cell phone breaks, will it still go to voicemail? Tried googling around and it seems like it may not. Just trying to think if she had an accident on a hike and she fell from a distance and broke her phone... the phone wouldn't go to voicemail. Yet it did. So seems the phone is in working order somewhere, safe to say?? Perhaps hidden.

Edited to add: I do think it's a red flag that May's phone was turned off, especially considering her sister's comments that May tended to leave her phone on all the time. She could have dropped/lost her phone on a hike, I suppose. In any case, I don't think the hike gone awry is the most likely scenario here...

Last edited:
So the children between thursday and saturday morning had absolutely no need to see their mother? (Hence a possibe home school by Maya.)

I cannot believe that. Although I think the 9 and 11 year olds would understand the situation very well and would be more tactful in their attention between mother and father given the situation.
4 year olds just run through the house IMO, if that door was locked. Wouldn't the 4 year old go to the father and asked where ''mommy'' is...

I understand from that very first interview he had gone somewhere with his son and left the girls to be homeschooled! I imagine the daughters knocking on the door, constantly checking the house. Let's say he comes back in the afternoon. Wouldn't the daugthers by now ask where Maya is. You have to key to her room, but you dont have any need to see if she is actually there.

So on saturday morning the family comes to visit, and basically does a welfare check. And now all of a sudden you are inclined to open the door.

I still dont get how in those days before you just accept that the mother of your children is gone, without her car. If she went hiking, where are her clothes? If she undertook a social activity with whom?

If the family did not do that welfare check that door would still have been closed...

So seems the phone is in working order somewhere, safe to say?? Perhaps hidden.
You're asking some great questions. You got me wondering where Maya's phone is now. There's people here on this thread that probably can answer our questions. I know LE can do tower tracking and in some cases trace the phone's last location. I don't think LE can find the phone if someone destroyed the Sim card, but they can get the last activity from her provider.

People have said Maya might have had a VPN line (virtual private network) for her defense contracting job. Would that make it easier or harder to trace phone & tower activity, and for LE to access her phone records?

(RSBM, RBBM)

I read that her phone was left at home. Was that since thrown into question? If her phone was indeed left behind, I find it improbable she went for a hike, especially since her sister stated that May liked to track her movements with phone apps etc. Plus a responsible parent like May wouldn't want to be without her phone for extended periods in case her children needed her. This is why I think May going for a hike is really unlikely.
What is your source for the phone being left behind? I’ve heard various stories on whether she took it or not. TIA.

You're asking some great questions. You got me wondering where Maya's phone is now. There's people here on this thread that probably can answer our questions. I know LE can do tower tracking and in some cases trace the phone's last location.

People have said Maya might have had a VPN line (virtual private network) for her defense contracting job. Would that make it easier or harder to trace phone & tower activity, and for LE to access her phone records?

She has to have a "work phone" and a personal phone.

I understand from that very first interview he had gone somewhere with his son and left the girls to be homeschooled! I imagine the daughters knocking on the door, constantly checking the house. Let's say he comes back in the afternoon. Wouldn't the daughters by now ask where Maya is. You have the key to her room, but you dont have any need to see if she is actually there.

Yes, and when LM came back home, surely the daughters would express some concern that their mother never emerged from her room. The first thing most spouses (or even ex-spouses) would do would be open the door for a welfare check! We know LM was able to locate the key because he found it later when May's dad showed up. So he must have had a strong reason to refuse to unlock the door.

IMO, the daughters would have certainly begged their father to open the door UNLESS
  1. their mom shutting them out and ignoring them for long stretches of time was a regular occurrence so it didn't seem unusual to them, or
  2. they were too afraid to ask their father anything about their mom due to known strife and tension between LM & Maya.
I feel #2 is much more likely than #1. The kids HAD to have known their parents did not get along and I can't see how there wasn't a lot of tension in the house on an everyday basis. Feeling constant tension and perhaps witnessing arguments or worse between their parents would be quite upsetting and frightening for the children, and they may have learned the best way to deal with it was to avoid asking questions or talking about it with their dad. Maybe they quietly & secretly communicated their concerns to trusted members of Maya's side of the family, and that's why May's brother and later father showed up so quickly to check on her.

I suspect something of interest to the investigation was locked in Maya's room until some point on Friday/early Sat morning. Whether any remnants or clues remained by the time investigators came with the search warrant is the big question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gamzie