CA CA - Maya Millete, 39, missed daughter's birthday, Chula Vista, 7 Jan 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
maybe I've watched too many movies but isn't that what any/every good lawyer does? Client should never speak to the LE unless they're being detained? Like I'm not seeing a situation where the lawyer would tell his client to continue talking to LE.

Retaining a lawyer is never a bad idea, and it's generally recommended on here by people who are involved in the criminal justice field.

"Not cooperating" is another kettle of fish IMO. If your wife was simply missing, there's nothing lost by cooperating. If you haven't done anything to her then allowing access to her life and your life together within the bounds of the law (what the lawyer is there to ensure) isn't going to hurt you.

IMO this is very unlikely to be related given the description plus it not having even been a month yet, but just since it's also breaking news right now...

San Diego Sheriff’s Office says human remains were reported off a trail in Santee. Homicide investigators just got here. I just spoke with the two people who found the remains - they say it was a pile of bones and a skull far off trail
@fox5sandiego

https://twitter.com/KelseyReports/status/1357188414903185408

MOO, not saying the husband is guilty or jumping to conclusions, but this news does make me feel more worried and sad.

In general, most guilty people should shut up way before they get an attorney. Then, once they do get an attorney it's a lot harder for LE to press for answers. So, this is bad, just in case LM was involved and knows where Maya is.

LE must have something that has LM scared. He gave such vague answers, he might have thought he could keep them busy checking out all wine tasting wineries until they gave up. Of course, he may innocently feel LE is pressing on him too much and possibly his parents urged him to get an attorney.

The fact is his wife of 21 yrs. is still missing and there "should" be no reason for him to stop working with LE to find her. It just doesn't look good now that LM retained an attorney, and is not going to be cooperating with LE except through an attorney. Where's Maya? She needs to be found.

For the children's sake I hope this doesn't drag on.

All my own thoughts and opinion.

That's good to know. Thanks, Nancy19XX!
Agree, and I would bet she simply forwarded her work phone to her personal cell - that’s what most working on base have done. Also, someone mentioned if using the work VPN could make her phone harder to trace. As someone who uses that same VPN, there are very strict policies against connecting personal devices (for security reasons). There is basically no chance her personal cell phone was ever connected to the work VPN.

More on the find of the remains, again, just in case:

Just after 4 p.m., authorities were tipped off by two hikers who spotted what appeared to be scattered bones and a skull while they were off trail looking for snakes. The remains were located with the help of the department’s ASTREA helicopter by deputies in the area of Summit Crest Drive.

Too early to tell if male or female or how long they've been there.

Human remains found near East County hiking trail | FOX 5 San Diego

Agree, and I would bet she simply forwarded her work phone to her personal cell - that’s what most working on base have done. Also, someone mentioned if using the work VPN could make her phone harder to trace. As someone who uses that same VPN, there are very strict policies against connecting personal devices (for security reasons). There is basically no chance her personal cell phone was ever connected to the work VPN.
I'm the one who started asking those questions. I was wondering if it'd make it easier or harder to locate Maya thru phone info.

So, you're saying if Maya was given a VPN line, she had to keep her work line and personal line separate. Do you mean on separate devices? Or could she use the same phone for both? I'm not tech savvy enough to grasp this. Here's what you said that confused me: "There is basically no chance her personal cell phone was ever connected to the work VPN." I think she did some of her work on her phone. Do you mean she had to carry two phones?

I thought about the work phone, because the husband called her boss and he confirmed she did not log in. So he already knew she wasn't coming in. From the information there is, it did not like look her boss asked where she was. So either she had contact through her work phone, or through the different profiles. Or someone else did...

If she does not show up for work, at least her boss would call the husband, right? Why was it the other way around?

IME, if an employee doesn't show up for work, I would try to get a hold of them by all means available to me. (Unless she was scheduled off or had a flexible working schedule like many places offer) If I was expecting them and still unable to reach them, I would have to engage our Human Resources team to reach out to their emergency contact and potentially start the process of dealing with a 'no-call-no-show'. Just thinking from my experience and the changes working from home has brought. MOO

I'm the one who started asking those questions. I was wondering if it'd make it easier or harder to locate Maya thru phone info.

So, you're saying if Maya was given a VPN line, she had to keep her work line and personal line separate. Do you mean on separate devices? Or could she use the same phone for both? I'm not tech savvy enough to grasp this. Here's what you said that confused me: "There is basically no chance her personal cell phone was ever connected to the work VPN." I think she did some of her work on her phone. Do you mean she had to carry two phones?

just my opinion, but I highly doubt she had 2 phones. I think she used her personal phone for work. Most people working on base have forwarded their desk phones to their cell phones when teleworking as very few are given cell phones for work.

IME, if an employee doesn't show up for work, I would try to get a hold of them by all means available to me. (Unless she was scheduled off or had a flexible working schedule like many places offer) If I was expecting them and still unable to reach them, I would have to engage our Human Resources team to reach out to their emergency contact and potentially start the process of dealing with a 'no-call-no-show'. Just thinking from my experience and the changes working from home has brought. MOO
Completely agree. Also thought it strange she didn’t take Monday off considering they had the Big Bear trip scheduled Sunday. That’s about a 3 hour drive each way - just feels like it would’ve turned into an overnight trip but who knows.

just my opinion, but I highly doubt she had 2 phones. I think she used her personal phone for work. Most people working on base have forwarded their desk phones to their cell phones when teleworking as very few are given cell phones for work.
Thanks. I appreciate your patience with my phone tech limitations. Due to Covid and people working from home, it does make sense to forward desk phone to cell phone, but isn't that the no-no? Isn't that what you meant was against the rules? Do you need to also load the VPN apps if you do forward your work desk phone to your personal cell? Thanks again.

Thanks. I appreciate your patience with my phone tech limitations. Due to Covid and people working from home, it does make sense to forward desk phone to cell phone, but isn't that the no-no? Isn't that what you meant was against the rules? Do you need to also load the VPN apps if you do forward your work desk phone to your personal cell? Thanks again.
You are correct, there are two scenarios. 1. Calls forwarded to cell 2. Work profile on cell that work calls go through to when the profile is activated.
ET correct spelling

I meant she couldn’t connect her personal cell to any DoD VPN for like WiFi/internet. Forwarding calls is ok. Basically, using her cell for work would likely mean all service (calls, internet, location data) came from her home WiFi provider and/or cellular carrier.

All the far flung scenarios, are usually, just that. Far flung theories.
Creating red herrings.
Defence attorneys LOVE far flung theories.
Usually the obvious, with data backup from the history of many murders investigated before...lead to the truth.
In regards to this subject, if you've never watched the true crime series "I survived" it is now available on Amazon Prime, if you are a member, for free.
This is a documentary series about people who survived crime, from all over the USA.
Very eye opening. Not for the faint of heart.
I personally learned a lot from these victims and their stories.
I highly recommend watching this.
MOO

Posting some news articles to help us realize the timing of the investigation.
Search warrant is served at home of missing Chula Vista mother | cbs8.com
Updated: 8:48 PM PST January 24, 2021

The search warrant was served on the home on Jan. 24th which is about 10 days ago. LE doesn't always find blood, and even if they did, no body has been found. I want to know if the dogs hit on anything, but still no body has been found and LE has to be careful to not jump to conclusions. It's possible they found nothing conclusive, but then again LE has to have a solid case if they were to make an arrest.
Search warrant is served at home of missing Chula Vista mother | cbs8.com
Updated: 8:48 PM PST January 24, 2021

Then, on Jan. 30th, the Police Chief did make a statement on video here about their thorough but cautious investigation.
Chula Vista mom still missing after three weeks | cbs8.com
Published: 5:10 PM PST January 30, 2021
See Video
At the 00:25 minute mark the Chula Vista Police Chief Roxana Kennedy assures the public that LE is investigating Maya's case fully and she makes a statement that "if someone is responsible for her disappearance we want to hold them responsible".

Kelsey Christensen on Twitter: "Scattered pile of bones I should say... Still waiting for an update from police." / Twitter

I'm thinking that given the timeline, it's unlikely to be Maya's remains. However, they belong to someone - hopefully a family is able to gain closure from this find.

Oh, wow, you never know, though. I remember in Hannah Graham’s case (missing UVA student), she was missing for I think about a month when skeletal remains were found. Turned out to be her, sadly.

Oh, wow, you never know, though. I remember in Hannah Graham’s case (missing UVA student), she was missing for I think about a month when skeletal remains were found. Turned out to be her, sadly.
I followed the Hannah Graham case, too. Remember the video of her walking around town? You're right, her remains were found 5 wks. after, but it may have been wetter conditions in Virginia. You never know though, like you said.

OT-- I do hope Elijah Bear Diaz is finally found. @TravelingBug posted a google map on his thread of where the bones were found and it's sure close to Elijah's last location. Here's some articles about that case.

$10K reward announced in missing person case | FOX 5 San Diego

Years Later, San Diego Man’s 2015 Disappearance Still a Mystery – NBC 7 San Diego (nbcsandiego.com)

Glamis:

images

images

Algodones Dunes
From Wikipedia:
Algodones Dunes - Wikipedia

The dunes from space

Location Sonoran Desert, Imperial County, California, United States
Coordinates
17px-WMA_button2b.png
32°55′N 115°3′WCoordinates:
17px-WMA_button2b.png
32°55′N 115°3′W
Length 45 miles (72 km)
Width 6 miles (9.7 km)
Geology Erg
The Algodones Dunes is a large erg (sand dune field) located in the southeastern portion of the U.S. state of California, near the border with Arizona and the Mexican state of Baja California. The field is approximately 45 miles (72 km) long by 6 miles (9.7 km) wide and extends along a northwest-southeast line that correlates to the prevailing northerly and westerly wind directions. The name "Algodones Dunes" refers to the entire geographic feature, while the administrative designation for that portion managed by the Bureau of Land Management is the Imperial Sand Dunes Recreation Area (sometimes called the Glamis Dunes). In 1966, Imperial Sand Hills was designated as a National Natural Landmark by the National Park Service.[1] The Algodones Dunes are split into many different sections. These sections include Glamis, Gordon's Well, Buttercup, Midway, and Patton's Valley. Although the Arabic-derived Spanish word algodones translates to "cotton plants", the origin of the toponym is unknown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RMN0406