CA CA - Michael Vanzandt, 36, Hermosa Beach, 5 March 2016

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
As another holiday is celebrated, the family and friends of Mike are still hopeful and praying for answers.

23473075_2069966829893077_3001077276994859750_n.jpg

****UPDATE***
attachment.php

I am excited to share that my brother Mike Vanzandt’s story will be featured as a part of the docu-series, 'Disappeared', on Investigation Discovery on May 20th at 8pm est. (subject to change).
We started talking about the prospects of working together in January. A lot of the interest on their part was driven by the immense amount attention Michael's story received. So thank you all for your hand in that. Over the course of these last few months, a number of us attempted to tell the story of those days around Mikes disappearance, through our own vantage points, and utilizing many interviews, emails, pictures, timelines, documents, film, ect. The production staff came in town from NYC for a week or so to film in Hermosa Beach and to do on camera interviews.
The process of remembering the details of that night, and the days and weeks following, was inevitably very difficult for all parties involved. In a sense, it was also therapeutic and a good reminder of the work so many put in to help find Mike. Thanks to the fantastic staff from NBC's Peacock Productions and special thanks to those interviewed including Mikes children, Krishain, Jamie, Monique, as well as local media and law enforcement and my mother, Robyn Gretz for their help.
We have no idea what the finished product will be and how it may be depicted as this uncharted territory for us. However, our hope is that the end result is something that, at minimum, will reach more people who may come forward with some new information on his disappearance. When more details come out about the episode in mid-May, we hope you alll will be willing to share it out to your network. So stay tuned and thank you.

Attachments

• mike1.jpg
    mike1.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 291
Transcript from video-
HERMOSA BEACH (CBSLA) — Out for a night at the Hermosa Beach Pier. He walked into the dark and vanished.
Tonight there is a major new effort to help find the Iraq War veteran and father of three.
ADVERTISING

CBSLA has obtained video never seen before of his final moments at that pier. Grainy clips from a security camera at the last moments Michael VanZandt was seen alive.
The 36-year-old can be seen leaving a bar near the Hermosa Pier and going next door to an ATM.
Later he’s seen walking toward the beach and then vanishes. He hasn’t been since March 2016.
“There’s no closure,” said Michael’s brother Tyler VanZandt. “I think that’s the toughest part”
Michael’s disappearance is always on Tyler’s mind.
“Every day is an evolution. I think being the glue that held everything together early on sort of allowed me to be distracted from it. Grieve in my own way,” said Tyler.
The 36-year-old father of three and Air Force veteran was in Hermosa Beach for a night out on the town with friends. Michael was with his pals initially at the American Junkie Bar — then left to stop at the ATM next door. While he was gone, his friends left for another venue. They texted him but Michael’s phone died and police say based on the security footage of him walking around he never got their message.
For the first time since Michael vanished his mother visited Hermosa Beach from Michigan where the family is originally from. She wanted to see for herself where this mystery unfolded.
“I saw the club. The American Junkie. As soon as I saw that sign it was hard not to cry,” said Robyn Gretz. “It was tough.”
Hermosa Beach police never found Michael’s phone, clothing or any other major clues. There’s no evidence of foul play or any indication that he intentionally hurt himself.
“In our instance there’s really no conclusion so it’s really hard to know where to settle,” said Tyler.
Michael’s children live in the LA area with their mother — ages 16, 13 and 11 now.
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
Reddit

Comments

Mysterious California disappearance: Tracing the last steps of Mike VanZandt

Mike VanZandt, 36, was having a good time with friends on Hermosa Beach’s Pier Plaza when he vanished into the damp evening on March 5, 2016. Two years later, his family is still searching for answers. No one knows what happened to the father of three and Air Force veteran.
ae7317fbd145a22a8fd64c51512ab3cf.jpg

Mike VanZandt, 36, vanished March 5, 2016. Two years later, his family is still searching for answers. No one knows what happened to the father of three and Air Force veteran. (Courtesy Photo)

[...]

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/05/07/missing-in-hermosa-beach-what-happened-to-mike-vanzandt/

Just watched. I suspect his brother is right about what happened - that he went swimming while impaired and drowned. So sad.

We want to believe that also, but his clothes, cell phone, keys etc have never been found and he would not go swimming with them. I guess that is what keeps me from thinking that is what happened. I know his mom said that if that is indeed what happened, she could be at peace with that knowing it was something he Loved to do and it was an accident.
Thank you for watching.

We want to believe that also, but his clothes, cell phone, keys etc have never been found and he would not go swimming with them. I guess that is what keeps me from thinking that is what happened. I know his mom said that if that is indeed what happened, she could be at peace with that knowing it was something he Loved to do and it was an accident.
Thank you for watching.

So sorry what you're going through with the disappearance of your brother :(. Watching that video of them all "just" missing each other was so frustrating!!

I would think he went swimming as well....is it possible in his inebriated state he either just didn't take his clothes/wallet/phone off and went in fully clothed OR that he placed his belongings too close and they were washed out when the tide came in? Especially if he went in at a location that was down further on the beach than where was searched originally?

Thank you for watching.

I am so sorry for you and your family. He sounds like a wonderful human being. [emoji22]

Regarding his missing items, I suspect they may have been stolen. You would think if they were stolen that someone would step forward to help the family, but it may be that the thief is unaware of the story. Or doesn't care. What an unfortunate set of circumstances, missing his friends by seconds. I can understand him having a few drinks, being sad that his friends left him (how it must have appeared to him), and going for a swim because he loved to. Then things go tragically wrong. So sad for him and his family if this is the case.

I watched his episode of Disappeared last night and it was so sad and frustrating to watch the video of how close he was to reuniting with his friends that night. I can only imagine how his friends must feel watching that video seeing how close, in some instances, they all were to each other.

My opinion, for what it is worth, is that he went swimming that night (leaving his personal items up on the beach) and, when he didn't come back, the items were taken out to sea. I remember looking at the tide schedule for that day and it would have been low tide around the time shortly after he was seen in the video heading towards the water. By the next morning, high tide would have rolled in taking his personal items with it. By the time anyone searched the beach for him his items would have been long gone by the tide. I am heartbroken for his family and loved ones. I pray for answers, and healing, for them all.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LowStuff5019
Back