CA CA - Michael Vanzandt, 36, Hermosa Beach, 5 March 2016

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Hi, Everybody! My name is Cuevs and I'm new here. Long time lurker, and I finally decided that it would be best to get in on the action.

I heard about this case featured on the charley project. To me, the drowning theory is the most likely, unless he was jumped. I think it's best to work with the cases we already have in the immediate area, focusing on the adult males found dead in the water. Then we can move on to the decedents found on land. Let's get started.

Now, a lot of these bodies aren't as tall as our man (VanZandt), but the ocean and decomposition can do strange things to bodies. If we could determine what clothes Vanzandt was wearing that would be a big help. Also a DNA sample could help either rule these out possibly eventually identify one of them.

2016-03620 John doe 110: found April 15th, 2016. He was a few inches shorter than mike, about 10 years older, and didn't have the identifying tattoos ( this may be due to marine decomposition which can be very rapid).But saltwater can shrink bodies as well as stretch them out. I think he should be looked at as he was found about a month after our man vanished, and was located only about 6 miles away from hermosa beach, floating in the surf. His eyes were a different color, but this can change after death, and his hair was a matching blond. I say with the intense physical labor Vanzandt performed in the military, his body could be mistaken for being older. The discrepancy in weight can be explained by decomposition.

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/15519: Solano county. Found in a river near the ocean; If there had been any backflow, He could have theoretically floated the hundreds of miles, been swept by the san francisco bay intake and ended up in the river. Clothes may be a major identifying factor. also on april 15th. Height is closer, and weight is not established. Making this case more hopeful.

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/16203: San Mateo. After months in the water, Vanzandt's body could have been skeletonized. He could have floated down river to the riverbed. Height and weight can't be properly determined.

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/16410: San mateo: 200 miles to the south. Badly decomposed. Within the age range. Could be him. Height is off, but is only an estimate. Weight severly affected by decomposition. Found February 2017.

If someone who knows what ocean currents affect the california coast, that would allow us to rule out bodies based on where they showed up. Getting that DNA sample from the family will be important too, but we will let them give it on their own good time.

Hi, Everybody! My name is Cuevs and I'm new here. Long time lurker, and I finally decided that it would be best to get in on the action.

I heard about this case featured on the charley project. To me, the drowning theory is the most likely, unless he was jumped. I think it's best to work with the cases we already have in the immediate area, focusing on the adult males found dead in the water. Then we can move on to the decedents found on land. Let's get started.

Now, a lot of these bodies aren't as tall as our man (VanZandt), but the ocean and decomposition can do strange things to bodies. If we could determine what clothes Vanzandt was wearing that would be a big help. Also a DNA sample could help either rule these out possibly eventually identify one of them.

2016-03620 John doe 110: found April 15th, 2016. He was a few inches shorter than mike, about 10 years older, and didn't have the identifying tattoos ( this may be due to marine decomposition which can be very rapid).But saltwater can shrink bodies as well as stretch them out. I think he should be looked at as he was found about a month after our man vanished, and was located only about 6 miles away from hermosa beach, floating in the surf. His eyes were a different color, but this can change after death, and his hair was a matching blond. I say with the intense physical labor Vanzandt performed in the military, his body could be mistaken for being older. The discrepancy in weight can be explained by decomposition.

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/15519: Solano county. Found in a river near the ocean; If there had been any backflow, He could have theoretically floated the hundreds of miles, been swept by the san francisco bay intake and ended up in the river. Clothes may be a major identifying factor. also on april 15th. Height is closer, and weight is not established. Making this case more hopeful.

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/16203: San Mateo. After months in the water, Vanzandt's body could have been skeletonized. He could have floated down river to the riverbed. Height and weight can't be properly determined.

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/16410: San mateo: 200 miles to the south. Badly decomposed. Within the age range. Could be him. Height is off, but is only an estimate. Weight severly affected by decomposition. Found February 2017.

If someone who knows what ocean currents affect the california coast, that would allow us to rule out bodies based on where they showed up. Getting that DNA sample from the family will be important too, but we will let them give it on their own good time.
Welcome Cuevs! Thank you for taking an interest in Mike's case.
I will definitely look into everything you posted and am actually going to be talking to his mom tomorrow! !
Please keep bringing thoughts and ideas this way !!

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

Also meant to say that I will talk to her again about getting the DNA ..they were to have it done when Mike's kids were here last year and was told it could take awhile due to back up in lab so I will follow up with her on that.

Welcome!

The final 3 UID are hundreds if miles to the north from Hermosa Beach. Although stranger things have happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Everyone,

Spartygirl is now a verified insider in Michael's case.

Please continue to treat Spartygirl with respect.

Remember Sparytgirl does not need to provide links to her posts and it's up to you whether to believe what Spartygirl posts or not.

Thank you

Welcome!

The final 3 UID are hundreds if miles to the north from Hermosa Beach. Although stranger things have happened.

Agree!! We have called on many UID near and far from there just because ..well, you never know ...At first we were only looking at ones found in that area but have ventured out with hopes of Finding him

If he went swimming, then what the heck would he have done with his phone? Wallet? Car keys? Clothes?

I'm trying to make sense of him taking a dip in the ocean before meeting up with his friends for drinks. It makes zero sense to me.

Are there any locals that have come forth mentioning anything they might have seen?
Did he have a cell phone that lost communication at any certain point?
Michael, based on social media, wasn't trying to "escape" from anything.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

If he went swimming, then what the heck would he have done with his phone? Wallet? Car keys? Clothes?

I'm trying to make sense of him taking a dip in the ocean before meeting up with his friends for drinks. It makes zero sense to me.

That's been a huge question all along...where are his items he had one him? Even if he did go swimming he wouldn't have gone in water with wallet, phone, keys yet none of these items have been found. Phone battery right after they left bar.

Unfortunately, his clothes, etc. could have easily been stolen by a transient in the area completely unaware of the situation or, the more likely scenario, the tide came in and carried them out to sea. It is amazing how strong the tide can be. Sometimes things wash back up on shore and sometimes they don't. Praying for answers for Mike's family and loved ones.

Unfortunately, his clothes, etc. could have easily been stolen by a transient in the area completely unaware of the situation or, the more likely scenario, the tide came in and carried them out to sea. It is amazing how strong the tide can be. Sometimes things wash back up on shore and sometimes they don't. Praying for answers for Mike's family and loved ones.

It still makes NO SENSE that he'd just strip down and leave his clothes and phone and keys unattended while he went for a swim in the super cold water at night.... When he was supposed to be meeting up with friends. No sense at all. None of it. :(

The group goes to American Junkie roughly 10:15pm and there is a line to get in. Mike decides goes to go to Roberts Liquor store, doesn't purchasing anything and walks out. (maybe looking for a bathroom). Meanwhile his friends go to another bar, try texting him and his phone is dead.

Why would they LEAVE without him, or at least without knowing they could get a text through so he knew where they were? Shame on them. One person could have stayed behind and waited.

Why would they LEAVE without him, or at least without knowing they could get a text through so he knew where they were? Shame on them. One person could have stayed behind and waited.

Maybe they thought it was okay enough to just text where they were going next. It might have been a night of bar-hopping and they all just moved on to the next stop. I doubt anyone of the group was thinking anything negative could've happened to Mike. Imo, they thought they were being courteous by letting him know where to meet them when he was finished looking for a bathroom. He was gone for a longer time, so maybe they thought he'd gone to bed, possibly could've met a cute girl, etc..
I'm just trying to put myself in their shoes. Not saying it's right or wrong, but I can't imagine if I was in the group that was "moving on" to the next location, that anyone would think to stay behind and wait for a response.

Sent from my HTC Desire Eye using Tapatalk

Maybe they thought it was okay enough to just text where they were going next. It might have been a night of bar-hopping and they all just moved on to the next stop. I doubt anyone of the group was thinking anything negative could've happened to Mike. Imo, they thought they were being courteous by letting him know where to meet them when he was finished looking for a bathroom. He was gone for a longer time, so maybe they thought he'd gone to bed, possibly could've met a cute girl, etc..
I'm just trying to put myself in their shoes. Not saying it's right or wrong, but I can't imagine if I was in the group that was "moving on" to the next location, that anyone would think to stay behind and wait for a response.

Sent from my HTC Desire Eye using Tapatalk

In my world, it's common courtesy to make sure everyone is together, or to make sure a "straggler" has responded to a "Hey we're moving on" text and knows what we're up to. But maybe that's just me and my friends.

Does anyone know approx. how much cash he may have had on him?

This missing person case has always been so puzzling to me.

Was Mike known to go swimming late at night in the ocean?
I really don't think that's what happened tho. I'm thinking he may have been jumped, had his things stolen, and his body dumped. (sorry...that's sounds horrible).

Is there an alley way nearby?

This missing person case has always been so puzzling to me.

Was Mike known to go swimming late at night in the ocean?
I really don't think that's what happened tho. I'm thinking he may have been jumped, had his things stolen, and his body dumped. (sorry...that's sounds horrible).

Is there an alley way nearby?
Hi QT ...yes, I believe there's an alley that goes out into a parking lot area and camera picked him up walking that way and thats last he was seen :(

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Solange
Back