CA CA - Michael Vanzandt, 36, Hermosa Beach, 5 March 2016

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
wow, it would have came a long way. can something float that far in? I know they can come in and out of the mouth of the bay.

Highly unlikely, but I thought I'd post this nevertheless..

Torso found floating by Bay Bridge
http://www.ktvu.com/news/144988290-story
From article: The Alameda County Coroner has determined that the body is that of a young male.

Investigators say determining the identity of the body may boil down to DNA testing and that the torso is believed to have been in the water for about a month

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Hi Spartygirl! I actually should have said "The liquor store he went to is right on the corner by the "main street" so maybe someone or some people he pissed off drug him in their van...." I didn't mean "the" van....insinuating there was a van there. My apologies. I was just at the pier on Tuesday and me and boyfriend were talking about this situation. So crazy that he hasn't been found yet. Prayers for his family!

where is this guy? he had to have gone into the ocean, I think :(

where is this guy? he had to have gone into the ocean, I think :(

But shouldn't he have washed ashore by now if that's the case? This is one of those cases that is haunting, IMO. Poof! Gone!!

I really hope one day his family figure out what happened and can find peace.

Bumping for Michael. This case just bothers me so much. This wasn't something that happened in a secluded or remote area. There were a lot of people around. What could have happened?

I feel like cvaldez1975, that had he gone into the water wouldn't he have been washed ashore by now? Hate to have to write that [emoji22].

My heart breaks for his family and loved ones.

MOO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was at Huntington Beach yesterday, staring at the waves and wondering.

Bumping for Michael. This case just bothers me so much. This wasn't something that happened in a secluded or remote area. There were a lot of people around. What could have happened?

I feel like cvaldez1975, that had he gone into the water wouldn't he have been washed ashore by now? Hate to have to write that [emoji22].

My heart breaks for his family and loved ones.

MOO

I feel the same way [emoji22]

Bumping for Mike and family.....still praying for an answer !! I know his mom and siblings just want to find out what has happened to him and get some closure

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

From article: The Alameda County Coroner has determined that the body is that of a young male.

Investigators say determining the identity of the body may boil down to DNA testing and that the torso is believed to have been in the water for about a month

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk
Thanks for posting ...I'm not sure if family followed up on this lead ...I know I have called on several other ones but will follow up tomorrow with this

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

Mike's brother just posted a story on the Find MZ FB page of the last time he saw his brother and the circumstances surrounding their trip to San Diego and why he immediately thought Mike went swimming that night in the ocean when he heard he was missing. In a nut shell, his brother left Mike in a hotel bar at night. He was awoken to Mike, wearing only his underwear, knocking on the door. He had decided (in crazy bad weather) to go swimming at night in the ocean and couldn't find his things. He took a warm shower, they tracked his belongings by finding the location of his phone, his brother spoke to him sternly about doing something so dangerous, and he sent Mike out to retrieve his things. After being gone longer than expected, Mike finally showed back up with his clothes, but was dripping wet AGAIN because he had decided to go back in the ocean swimming AGAIN. Interesting. I absolutely believe, after reading his brother's story, that Mike went swimming that night and something happened. MOO

Wow that's nuts :(

Mike's brother just posted a story on the Find MZ FB page of the last time he saw his brother and the circumstances surrounding their trip to San Diego and why he immediately thought Mike went swimming that night in the ocean when he heard he was missing. In a nut shell, his brother left Mike in a hotel bar at night. He was awoken to Mike, wearing only his underwear, knocking on the door. He had decided (in crazy bad weather) to go swimming at night in the ocean and couldn't find his things. He took a warm shower, they tracked his belongings by finding the location of his phone, his brother spoke to him sternly about doing something so dangerous, and he sent Mike out to retrieve his things. After being gone longer than expected, Mike finally showed back up with his clothes, but was dripping wet AGAIN because he had decided to go back in the ocean swimming AGAIN. Interesting. I absolutely believe, after reading his brother's story, that Mike went swimming that night and something happened. MOO

So Mike went swimming three times? After showing up the second time at his brother's door dripping wet with his clothes he went out again, went swimming again? That does sound very crazy. Wouldn't he be tired by then? Although I can understand his brother immediately thinking of him going swimming again, it is also possible that after finding his clothes and reporting back to the brother, Mike went somewhere else (not back to the beach/ocean) and something happened somewhere else.

No ^^. The San Diego trip is separate from the HB disappearance. These beaches are about 2 hours apart, depending on traffic. His brother's post seems very telling...

Thank you for posting that update from Mike's brother, Voice4theSilent. That was heartbreaking to read. As you said, that sure gives the likelihood of Mike going for a swim that evening a stronger possibility. Before I thought: the way he was dressed for the night, how would he have gone swimming? But his brother's story of him showing up only in his underwear show he might have indeed just taken his clothing off and just gone for it.

I've since read some articles about rip currents drawing people in to deep water away from the shore. I wonder if that could be what happened? Because he is said to be a strong swimmer, I didn't think so prior to this update. And what of his belongings (clothing, phone, wallet) if he left them on the sand--where did they go, not to mention his body? It had to have been a "perfect storm" situation for the ocean to claim his body and belongings and not give them back...

It happens, apparently. The article is referring to Santa Monica, but the quote is referring to rip currents.
"Once people are pulled under roiling waters, such as those around the Pier, it is sometimes impossible to find them again."
“There are strong (crossing) currents,” he said. “Where someone goes down doesn’t mean that’s where they’ll be found. Sometimes, they aren’t found, no matter how heavy the search efforts are.”
http://www.surfsantamonica.com/ssm_...t_Near_Santa_Monica_Pier_May_Not_Survive.html

And here's an article of a young man who succumbed to a rip current at the same beach Mike was, Hermosa, in 2013:
http://tbrnews.com/news/hermosa_bea...cle_26921a4e-cd37-11e2-80ac-0019bb2963f4.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back