CA CA - Michael Vanzandt, 36, Hermosa Beach, 5 March 2016

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I feel that michael did most likely go for a swim that night based on his brother's story. But I can't imagine that no one saw him. I could see someone grabbing his wallet off the beach but I doubt they'd take clothes and all. If that did happen, they may have taken whatever cash he had and tossed the rest.

If he didn't drown that night, what could have possibly happened to him? I know that he went to the atm shortly before he was last seen on camera. Perhaps someone saw him and decided in his intoxicated state he'd make an easy target for robbery. Was anyone else seen on the mermaid camera shortly after michael?

This case has haunted me from the start. First, Hermosa Beach is one of my favorite places on Planet E, the beach is beautiful, and the little beach town is so charming. I've spent a lot of time there and it always felt completely safe. So sad. I'm watching the Disappeared episode right now, via my On Demand feature. Thanks to all who posted about it, I didn't realize his case was featured.

Just watched this episode. Personally I think what ended up happening is what happened to my cousin back in 2009. Him and his wife went on a vacation to Hawaii with their church, and they went for a swim, untrained, thought they could save a couple of dollars doing it themselves. The wife came back but he never did, she said she has lost track of him. He was missing for hours, they were looking for him all over the place, they couldn't find him.

Then someone from one of the hotels saw something in the water far away, thought it was a body so he called it in and went out himself with his board to investigate and it was him, had already drowned. There was bump on his head. My other cousin, his brother flew there to investigate and apparently it's not uncommon for such a thing to occur, and that the water can take you under and push you far out like that. Hope I'm wrong and he is found, but yea, those waters are pretty treacherous, looks harmless but can kill you easily.

I just finished watching this heartbreaking case on Disappeared.

I have to agree with others who have said that he most likely decided to go for a night swim and ended up drowning and pushed out to sea. I think that scenario best fits the little evidence available. He was last seen on surveillance video walking towards the beach. And we know from his ex-wife and his brother that he liked to go swimming, especially after drinking.

The brother's story in particular struck me. After an evening of drinks, Michael returns to the hotel later that night "in his underwear, soaking wet, without any of his possessions." The brother helps to dry and dress Michael, who then leaves to retrieve his belongings from the beach where he left them. When he returns about a half-hour later, "he's soaking wet again." That to me says that he couldn't resist the thrill of just one more swim.

And if he couldn't resist that night, then why not this night? According to Disappeared, "Michael wastes no time in catching up" with his friends who had already been at the bar "for a couple of hours." To me, that suggests drinking at a faster pace than normal. Then he's last seen buying a small bottle of whiskey close to midnight. Clearly the night isn't over for him. I don't know what California ocean temperature is in March, but alcohol gives you the feeling of warmth. Maybe he just wanted to cool off and thought he could handle it.

From what was shown on Disappeared, I think that, when he couldn't find his friends, Michael decided to just enjoy the rest of the night by himself. He bought a small bottle of whiskey with the intent to drink it by the beach. There, he decided to go for a night swim and ran into trouble. His belongings were either washed away by the tide and/or stolen by passers-by. Others have commented on why a body might or might not resurface.

The most painful part of this story was seeing how close he was to running into his friends. Truly a very sad case, and I pray for answers.

Michael Vanzandt was last seen the evening of March 5, 2016 while out with friends in downtown Hermosa Beach, California. Vanzandt, 36, was standing in line with friends outside the American Junkie gastropub at about 10:15 p.m., when he began walking toward a nearby liquor store. He has not been seen or heard from since. The Air Force veteran, and father of three, was going through a divorce, but family members said there were absolutely no red flags in his personal life that would have led to his disappearance. Because he is an avid swimmer, they fear he may have gone in the water for a late-night dip. However, none of Michael’s belongings were found on the beach. Authorities say the case is still active and ongoing.

Five years of Dateline’s Missing in America: 109 still missing

My friend and one of the last pictures taken with Mike and her boys !!!
78281963_2924998330846574_2435644153623740416_n.jpg

Another year has gone by already !! Happy 40th Birthday Mike- a message from Mike's mom with pictures.
It was the most magical day of my life 40 years ago. I held my first baby in my arms. So full of a love that I never knew existed before that moment. An instant instinct to protect him came over me and it still last to this day. It's hard not to be able to know where he is, and not be able to be there for him. All I can do is forever hold him and his memories close to my heart and love his beautiful children until we meet again. Happy 40th Birthday, I forever will love YOU
82287499_3030641923615547_4458235714638708736_n.jpg

82826429_3030642306948842_206322515138576384_n.jpg
82483820_3030641996948873_4930725285915000832_n.jpg

83199903_3030641803615559_8991345963515772928_n.jpg

Another year has gone by already !! Happy 40th Birthday Mike- a message from Mike's mom with pictures.
It was the most magical day of my life 40 years ago. I held my first baby in my arms. So full of a love that I never knew existed before that moment. An instant instinct to protect him came over me and it still last to this day. It's hard not to be able to know where he is, and not be able to be there for him. All I can do is forever hold him and his memories close to my heart and love his beautiful children until we meet again. Happy 40th Birthday, I forever will love YOU

Beautiful. I’m always checking for some developments on this case. All of his loved ones are in my thoughts. Happy birthday Michael!

Thank you so much for sharing this! I keep hoping against hope there will be some answers as to what happened to Mike. My heart just breaks for his family and friends.

4 Years ago March 5, 2016-Michael VanZandt went missing!!
Here is a post from Mike's brother, Tyler on March 5, 2020
"
Tyler VanZandt is with Mike Vanzandt.
March 5 at 9:22 PM

Have you ever lost your keys or your phone and you swear that it couldn’t have gone anywhere far? You check the obvious places....the couch, your pocket, the la...st place you remember having it, use find my iPhone.Nothing. You ask around and people say they haven’t seen it, but tell you to check the obvious places you checked a million times already. You check again. So then you get creative, maybe I left it in this drawer or on top of my car. Hope. Nothing. How does it just disappear?! You get frustrated. This doesn’t make sense. Check one more time. Will I ever find it?

Now picture the feeling when someone close to you dies. What happened? The shock. The sadness. What do we do now? The, “I wish I said this or that.” What was the last thing we talked about? Who needs to know? Gods plan. Are his loved ones ok? Man, “you never really know do you.” What about their house, their possessions, their finances? Are we prepared? Only the good die young. Will I ever feel happy again? We’ll get through this.

Now combine those two feelings. That’s what its been like for four years after my brother Michael VanZandt disappeared March 5th, 2016 in Hermosa Beach. Vanished without a trace, yet to be found. Leaving a myriad of emotions and questions. Left trying to explain the unexplainable. Trying to ease a burden that doesn’t go away. The thing about a lost phone is that it’s disruptive, but its temporary. You can buy a new one, life goes on. You don’t get a new brother. You don’t replace Mike. The thing about losing a love one is you bury them. Through those shovels of dirt there is closure. Grass grows and life goes on again. There is no closure for Mike’s friends and family. No celebration of life.

He could be dead . He could have drowned or god-forbid been murdered. But he also could be alive. Lost. Confused. In Bali. Who knows? But missing people are frequently found months, years, and decades after they disappear. There is hope. Now we don’t need sympathy. In fact, we’re all doing ok I promise. But what we do need is you to share his story to new people. You don’t have to share another social media post or a picture if you really don’t want to, but when the moment presents itself, use it as an opportunity to share his story, and all of its many lessons. Use that moment to remember Mike

Share his story when you remind someone to forgive, to love, and to enjoy people while they’re still here. Tell them to prepare for what happens if they’re not, even if they’re young. Say, “don’t forget to charge your phone” then tell Mike’s story. Remind them not to leave any friend behind. Scold then and say “swimming and drinking don’t mix!” Tell them to be careful and mindful of their surroundings. Tell them you love them before they leave. Say, “you never really know, I knew a guy named Mike who...” and tell his story. Because if his story can prevent someone else’s tragedy, rekindle a relationship, or prevent life-long regret, then he’s still alive in one way or another. Miss you brother!
89171826_10108290285099122_2767673498158497792_n.jpg

89208374_10108290285084152_4214780441267273728_n.jpg

4 Years ago March 5, 2016-Michael VanZandt went missing!!
Here is a post from Mike's brother, Tyler on March 5, 2020
"
Tyler VanZandt is with Mike Vanzandt.
March 5 at 9:22 PM

Have you ever lost your keys or your phone and you swear that it couldn’t have gone anywhere far? You check the obvious places....the couch, your pocket, the la...st place you remember having it, use find my iPhone.Nothing. You ask around and people say they haven’t seen it, but tell you to check the obvious places you checked a million times already. You check again. So then you get creative, maybe I left it in this drawer or on top of my car. Hope. Nothing. How does it just disappear?! You get frustrated. This doesn’t make sense. Check one more time. Will I ever find it?

Now picture the feeling when someone close to you dies. What happened? The shock. The sadness. What do we do now? The, “I wish I said this or that.” What was the last thing we talked about? Who needs to know? Gods plan. Are his loved ones ok? Man, “you never really know do you.” What about their house, their possessions, their finances? Are we prepared? Only the good die young. Will I ever feel happy again? We’ll get through this.

Now combine those two feelings. That’s what its been like for four years after my brother Michael VanZandt disappeared March 5th, 2016 in Hermosa Beach. Vanished without a trace, yet to be found. Leaving a myriad of emotions and questions. Left trying to explain the unexplainable. Trying to ease a burden that doesn’t go away. The thing about a lost phone is that it’s disruptive, but its temporary. You can buy a new one, life goes on. You don’t get a new brother. You don’t replace Mike. The thing about losing a love one is you bury them. Through those shovels of dirt there is closure. Grass grows and life goes on again. There is no closure for Mike’s friends and family. No celebration of life.

He could be dead . He could have drowned or god-forbid been murdered. But he also could be alive. Lost. Confused. In Bali. Who knows? But missing people are frequently found months, years, and decades after they disappear. There is hope. Now we don’t need sympathy. In fact, we’re all doing ok I promise. But what we do need is you to share his story to new people. You don’t have to share another social media post or a picture if you really don’t want to, but when the moment presents itself, use it as an opportunity to share his story, and all of its many lessons. Use that moment to remember Mike

Share his story when you remind someone to forgive, to love, and to enjoy people while they’re still here. Tell them to prepare for what happens if they’re not, even if they’re young. Say, “don’t forget to charge your phone” then tell Mike’s story. Remind them not to leave any friend behind. Scold then and say “swimming and drinking don’t mix!” Tell them to be careful and mindful of their surroundings. Tell them you love them before they leave. Say, “you never really know, I knew a guy named Mike who...” and tell his story. Because if his story can prevent someone else’s tragedy, rekindle a relationship, or prevent life-long regret, then he’s still alive in one way or another. Miss you brother!
89171826_10108290285099122_2767673498158497792_n.jpg

89208374_10108290285084152_4214780441267273728_n.jpg
Thank you for sharing.

Thinking of Mike and his family, especially his beautiful kiddos.

Michael David Vanzandt
michael_david_vanzandt_1.jpg
michael_david_vanzandt_2.jpg
michael_david_vanzandt_3.jpg
michael_david_vanzandt_5.jpg
michael_david_vanzandt_7.jpg

Vanzandt, circa 2016

• Missing Since 03/05/2016
  • Missing From Hermosa Beach, California
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Male
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 01/17/1980 (40)
  • Age 36 years old
  • Height and Weight 6'0, 190 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description A dark gray long-sleeved sweatshirt or sweater over a white shirt, blue jeans and shoes or boots.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Blond hair, blue eyes. Vanzandt has the following tattoos: a small Buddha on his back, a tiger in a jungle scene on his upper left arm and shoulder and the name "KEATON" in descending letters on his left calf. His nickname is Mike.
Details of Disappearance

Vanzandt was last seen at the American Junkie gastro pub on Piper Plaza in Hermosa Beach, California on March 5, 2016. He'd gone out for the night with friends, watched the Ultimate Fighting Championship fight and rented a room at the Quality Inn in the 900 block of Aviation Boulevard.

Vanzandt and his friends were waiting to get into American Junkie at 10:15 p.m. when he walked to the liquor store next door and then walked out. This is the last time his friends saw him.

Surveillance cameras showed him walking into the parking lot, towards the beach, at 11:30 p.m. He never went back to the hotel room and his friends were unable to reach him by cellular phone that night or the next day; he has never been heard from again. He left behind his car and personal belongings.

Vanzandt is originally from Michigan and spent over a decade in the Air Force, making two tours of Iraq. He was assigned to Edwards Air Force Base at the time of his disappearance. He has three children, and he was in the process of a divorce from his wife of fourteen years when he went missing.

Vanzandt enjoys swimming and scuba diving. He's described as a reliable man with no history of leaving without warning, but he has been known to swim at night, particularly after drinking. The circumstances of his disappearance are unclear.

Investigating Agency
  • Hermosa Beach Police Department 310-318-0360
Source Information

Disappeared: Air Force Veteran Michael Vanzandt Vanishes During a Night Out with Friends in Hermosa Beach, California (March 5, 2016)
Posted on March 5, 2016
screen-shot-2018-05-24-at-7-27-44-pm.png

Michael Vanzandt, US Air Force Veteran

IF YOU HAVE ANY INFORMATION, PLEASE CONTACT THE HERMOSA BEACH POLICE DEPARTMENT: Detective Joshua Droz at (310) 318-0334 or jdroz@hermosapolice.org

Air Force veteran Michael Vanzandt, 36, was living in Lancaster, California at the time of his disappearance. Michael was originally from Pleasant Lake, Michigan where he was raised by his mom. He has two brothers and one step brother. After graduation in 1999, Michael enlisted in the Air Force. It wasn’t long after that in 2000 when he met a fellow Air Force member at Yakota Air Base in Japan. They were both from Michigan and grew up about an hour and a half from one another. They married in 2001 and by 2006, they had three children. Michael was stationed at Edwards Air Force Base in California. While stationed there, he deployed to Iraq twice in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF).

After twelve years of service, Michael left the Air Force and got a civilian job in human resources at Edwards AFB. In 2014, Michael and his wife decided to separate and divorce. His wife says they just grew apart. But despite the break-up, the two had a good relationship for the sake of the three children. They had shared custody. Michael tried dating a couple people after the divorce but the relationships didn’t last because he just wasn’t ready yet. Although he remained friends with the two women. It was clear Michael was focused on moving out of his small apartment and getting a house for his family. In early 2016, Michael was approved for a mortgage.

On March 5, 2016, Michael dropped the three children off at his ex-wife’s house because he had plans to go out with some friends that night. He drove from Lancaster to Hermosa Beach where he was meeting his friends. They were going to watch a UFC event and Michael was excited about that because he loves the UFC. Michael parked his car in a parking garage and they ubered it to the Underground. After the UFC event was over, they all decided to go to the American Junkie bar. While they were waiting in line, Michael said he was going to use the bathroom at the liquor store. This is the last time anyone saw Michael Vanzandt again.

When friends decided to abandon their plan to go to the American Junkie, they left and went bar hopping. The last time they spoke to Michael, he said he was going to the bathroom at the liquor store and would be right back. They were starting to get concerned so they texted and called him but got no response. The phone calls were going straight to voicemail. After leaving the bars in Hermosa Beach, they went back to the parking garage to see if Michael had retrieved his car and he had not. The next day, one of his friends started making phone calls with no luck. Another friend went to his apartment and learned that he was not there. His car wasn’t either.

Michael’s ex-wife grew concerned when Michael didn’t show up to drop off an insurance form for one of the kids who was having a medical procedure done. She called one of his ex-girlfriends who offered to go to his apartment and see if she couldn’t find Michael and/or the insurance form. She looked around the apartment but nothing appeared to be out of place and nothing looked suspicious. Michael’s ex-wife called his place of employment at Edwards AFB and learned that he never showed up for work which was totally out of character. They knew now that Michael was missing.

One of Michael’s friends attempted to file an official missing persons report but were quickly disheartened when they realized the police were not as concerned. Michael’s friend went to Hermosa Beach to look for him. She learned that Michael’s car was still in the parking garage. Michael’s ex-wife tells the kids at this point that Michael is officially missing. And they didn’t waste any time trying to garner attention for Michael’s disappearance on social media. The information spread like wild fire. On March 8, Michael’s friends met with a detective in Hermosa Beach who laid out a game plan for launching a missing person’s investigation.

After the investigation was launched, friends and family put up fliers in Hermosa Beach and spoke with local businesses but no one had seen Michael. Investigators talked with all the friends Michael was out with on March 5th but none of them provided any new leads. Investigators looked at cell phone records and the last time the phone was used, it pinged in Hermosa Beach. It appears the phone went dead around 9 p.m. Next investigators looked thru surveillance video around the bars the group frequented. It was at this point, news outlets also began covering Michael’s disappearance. Family and friends hoped for the lead that would be a breakthrough in the case.

After the investigators and Michael’s family and friends were unable to locate Michael in downtown Hermosa Beach, they all shifted the search efforts to the shoreline. Michael’s family hired a helicopter to search up and down the coast line. Meanwhile, the police positively identified Michael on video surveillance. They witnessed Michael come out of the door at the liquor store and then he went southbound on Hermosa Avenue. They could see how the group kept missing Michael in the crowds by a matter of seconds as they searched for each other. The police speculated that Michael was probably looking for a bathroom. Michael went back to the liquor store and bought some whiskey. It was here that police were able to confirm his cell phone was in fact dead.

The last confirmed sighting for Michael Vanzandt was at 11:27 p.m. in Hermosa Beach. Friends and family hoped he ran into someone else while out, maybe an unknown group of people. They felt helpless because there were no new leads despite their exhaustive efforts. Michael’s brother Tyler walked the coast line again and again until he couldn’t walk anymore but eventually realized that his time on the ground was not effective. The Hermosa Beach P.D. confirmed that the investigation is still open but were at a loss after taking all the proactive measures. Michael’s brother thought maybe he went swimming while drinking but deep down inside prays that he’s out there in the world in an effort to maintain hope. Michael had a good job, he was planning on getting a new home, and starting a new chapter in his life for his children.

Source: Just Out of Sight, Disappeared, Investigation Discovery

Related Links:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member