CA - Multiple Deaths In Mass Shootings At Two Dance Studios in Monterey Park By Gunman Huu Can Tran, Jan 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Last edited:
Dear God....I was out in the area. Police everywhere on Hawthorne and Sepulveda.
Hawthorne southbound blocked off. I had to take a detour.
I had no idea until I saw the news when I got home.

When does this carnage stop???
Those poor people....just enjoying the Lunar New Year.
Horrifying.

Thank you. I don’t have a clear line of sight at the moment. It seems like there were no windows on one side of both vans.

DBM.

Apologies, when I tried clicking on the Sky News report, I received a "page not found" error.

JMVHO.

Last edited:
Was there a program or party going on there?

It doesn’t sound like bar where alcohol is served. It sounds like the kind of a place you take children
From what I understood it is a Dance Studio where Ballroom dancing was taking place. The reports that my Husband is watching now said "5 men and 5 women" which to me would suggest adult victims as of now. We use to visit a movie theater and Curry shop very near the location.

From what I understood it is a Dance Studio where Ballroom dancing was taking place. The reports that my Husband is watching now said "5 men and 5 women" which to me would suggest adult victims as of now. We use to visit a movie theater and Curry shop very near the location.

We've been to that location with Chinese friends. Shocked the heck out me when this news first broke.

JMVHO.

...prominent member of the community with the Chinese Chamber of Commerce believes the suspect's possible motive may be related to a domestic dispute.

Community leader Chester Chong told ABC7 that the owner of the dance studio on West Garvey Avenue was holding an event there on Saturday. Through talking with friends that were in attendance and other local leaders, he said a woman was invited to the event but not her husband, which made him upset. Chong said he believes that woman's husband is the suspect in this case and jealousy may be a possible motive for the shooting.

''Authorities have breached a white van in Torrance that they believe is connected to the gunman who opened fire at a ballroom dance studio in Monterey Park on Saturday night, killing 10 people and injuring 10 others.

Just before 1 p.m. Sunday, a SWAT team swarmed the vehicle and smashed its windows in the parking lot of Tokyo Central, a Japanese grocery store near the southwest corner of Hawthorne and Sepulveda boulevards.

At least two bullet holes had been visible in the driver’s-side window in the moments prior to their approach, and the driver appeared to be slumped over the steering wheel. Multiple law enforcement sources told The Times that the driver had died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.''

“Could it be our suspect? Possibly,” Luna said. “But at this point, if we’re doing our jobs correctly, we’re not only looking at that situation or scenario, but we’re making sure that we’re looking at any and every possibility.”

Los Angeles County Sheriff Robert Luna said the shooting at the Star Ballroom Dance Studio in Monterey Park left five women and five men dead and wounded another 10 people. Then 20 to 30 minutes later, a man with a gun entered the Lai Lai Ballroom in nearby Alhambra.

Authorities believe the two events are connected. They offered no details about a possible motive.

The suspect in both cases was described as an Asian male. He entered the Alhambra club with a gun, and people wrested the weapon away from him before he fled, Luna said.

By midday, police in tactical vehicles and bomb-squad trucks surrounded a white van in a parking lot 22 miles (35.4 kilometers) from Alhambra in Torrance, another majority Asian community.

. Hours earlier, Luna said authorities were looking for a white van after witnesses reported seeing the suspect flee from Alhambra in such a vehicle.

“We believe there is a person inside of that vehicle. We don’t know their condition, but we’re going to handle that in safest manner that we possibly can and try and identify that person. Could it be our suspect? Possibly," Luna said.

...prominent member of the community with the Chinese Chamber of Commerce believes the suspect's possible motive may be related to a domestic dispute.

Community leader Chester Chong told ABC7 that the owner of the dance studio on West Garvey Avenue was holding an event there on Saturday. Through talking with friends that were in attendance and other local leaders, he said a woman was invited to the event but not her husband, which made him upset. Chong said he believes that woman's husband is the suspect in this case and jealousy may be a possible motive for the shooting.

How awful.

From the beginning I had the feeling it was an angry husband who maybe had a wife that went dancing without him, because my mind immediately flashed back to the Happy Land nightclub fire in NYC. That was in 1990, a jealous boyfriend torched the club where his girlfriend went dancing and killed I think 87 people.

<modsnip>

God help the families at what should have been a celebratory day.

Last edited by a moderator:
How awful.

From the beginning I had the feeling it was an angry husband who maybe had a wife that went dancing without him, because my mind immediately flashed back to the Happy Land nightclub fire in NYC. That was in 1990, a jealous boyfriend torched the club where his girlfriend went dancing and killed I think 87 people.

<modsnip>

Yes, it should have been a celebratory day!!!

So, so sad.

JMVHO.

How awful...

Dance instructor David DuVal taught at the studio, most recently samba and tango on Thursday morning.

He said the studio has Saturday night parties and that a lot of people who attend are older. “60s would be young.”

“There’s definitely going to be people in their 70s, 80s, people in their 90s,” he said. “A lot of people I teach are older people. I have a feeling it could be one of them or people I know.”

How awful.

<modsnip>

bbm
Holy heck, I've never heard of that crime !
Unbelievable the lengths people will go to who feel they've been 'wronged'.
We've discussed "injustice collectors" here before.
And in both the 1990 case and todays' horrific crimes, I think the term fits.
Selfish behavior at the core of these decisions.
Imo.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PKBB