CA - Natalie Wood, 43, drowned off California coast, 29 Nov 1981

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
What would be the purpose of misleading the public and showing discourse between the LE and DA on this story?

As far as the press goes, TMZ said this. IMO from following all sorts of stories / cases, TMZ is very accurate and very on top of things.

Because usually prosecutors don't do things that could jeopardize their cases. Most discourse between LE and the prosecution shouldn't be public at this point. IMO. I didn't mean TMZ wasn't accurate. But the spin can change from day to day. LE never tells all they know.

Eve

Because usually prosecutors don't do things that could jeopardize their cases. Most discourse between LE and the prosecution shouldn't be public at this point. IMO. I didn't mean TMZ wasn't accurate. But the spin can change from day to day. LE never tells all they know.

Eve

I understand that LE never tells all they know. We often don't hear from the DA's office at all until LE hands what they have to them. That's my point. Why would they say ANYTHING at this point?
The fact that they are saying they are confused as to why LE has reopened the case speaks volumes to me.

I find it interesting that DD is being repped by a Publicist rather than a lawyer.

Here is the link to TMZ's article:

http://www.tmz.com/2011/11/22/no-prosecution-natalie-wood-death-investigation/#.TsxtPyp5mc0

Sources in the L.A. County District Attorney's Office are scratching their heads over the Natalie Wood death investigation, because they say there's no way the D.A. is going to prosecute Robert Wagner or anyone else.

Under California law, even if Wagner accidentally pushed Natalie into the dark water ... the most he could be charged with is involuntary manslaughter. But here's the problem -- there's a statute of limitations of 3 years for that crime, so prosecutors would have had to file charges 27 years ago. Ditto voluntary manslaughter, which has a statute of limitations of 3 years.

As for why the Sheriff is investigating the death ... one D.A. source said, "It's an exercise in futility. I just don't get it."

*as I said above, TMZ is a very reliable source. I'm sure they are not making this up.

I find it interesting that DD is being repped by a Publicist rather than a lawyer.

Publicist = publicity.

I think this man is out for his 15 minutes and money.

JMO

What would be the purpose of misleading the public and showing discourse between the LE and DA on this story?

As far as the press goes, TMZ said this. IMO from following all sorts of stories / cases, TMZ is very accurate and very on top of things.
TMZ is a legitimate MSM source? This is news to me (pun unintended, but LOL).

I've always considered them to be an online tabloid. They go for the sensational and are very cruel about those (usually celebrities) that they photograph. Just my experience when I've looked there.

I say the same about their television show. :angel:

I don't see any hard-hitting journalism let alone any investigative journalism at TMZ (online or TV). If anything, TMZ is a parody of news reporting...a satire on it...but that would be giving them too much credit. JMO. :angel:

TMZ is a legitimate MSM source? This is news to me (pun unintended, but LOL).

I've always considered them to be an online tabloid. They go for the sensational and are very cruel about those (usually celebrities) that they photograph. Just my experience when I've looked there.

I say the same about their television show. :angel:

I don't see any hard-hitting journalism let alone any investigative journalism at TMZ (online or TV). If anything, TMZ is a parody of news reporting...a satire on it...but that would be giving them too much credit. JMO. :angel:

Actually, they are very accurate. If they report something, you can bet it's accurate.

TMZ was created by an attorney who knows all about slander and what could happen if their information is not accurate.

While their show is a bit of a "funny" show, their information is always spot on.

They often scoop other media outlets because they have a lot of inside sources. But, they ARE NOT a tabloid.

As an entertainment news service, TMZ has done an impressive job in covering pop culture stories, even breaking some really big ones, including Tiger's love affairs, Mel Gibson's rants, Michael Jackson's Death and many of the starlets in trouble with the law. Other news services rely heavily on TMZ's reporting because of the accuracy they have achieved from so many stories they have done in the past and in the present. TMZ has this unusual reputation as respected, controversial, topical and racy.

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/817996-the-tmz-effect-on-mls

LEADING EDGE: The radical idea behind TMZ.com was to monetize its chief asset. Instead of being an adjunct to another news organization, the Web site itself makes money by breaking news, says Levin, whose staff fact-checks each story on the Zone before it goes up online. "Accuracy is a big deal for us. If we're wrong, there's legal exposure. We're so careful, we haven't been sued. We don't have time periods. When you start breaking stories, they can't ignore you. Everyone picks up our stuff. A good story is a good story. And there are plenty of stories out there. "

http://weblogs.variety.com/thompsononhollywood/2007/06/harvey-levin-th.html

Actually, they are very accurate. If they report something, you can bet it's accurate.

TMZ was created by an attorney who knows all about slander and what could happen if their information is not accurate.

While their show is a bit of a "funny" show, their information is always spot on.

They often scoop other media outlets because they have a lot of inside sources. But, they ARE NOT a tabloid.
Well, we can agree to disagree. :)

And yes, I'm familiar with HL, who also gave "legal opinions" on a court TV show, outside on the sidewalk after the court proceedings. Not impressed with him at all!

His TV show basically consists of he and his "reporters" (papparazzi) making fun of everyone they stalk, errr, photograph.

His TMZ show, IMO, is entertainment (for some)...not a legitimate news show, JMO. A tabloid, JMO.

One more thing and I'll let the TMZ subject go since it's not really the topic of the thread....

They are "hard hitting" journalists of celebrity news. Who broke the Michael Jackson death story? TMZ

Thats just one example. There are hundreds more.

If it's celebrity news, as is the Natalie Wood investigation, TMZ is almost always the first to break the story. And their reporting is always accurate.

If they say sources at the DA's office said those things, you can pretty much bet your bottom dollar they did.

Well, we can agree to disagree. :)

And yes, I'm familiar with HL, who also gave "legal opinions" on a court TV show, outside on the sidewalk after the court proceedings. Not impressed with him at all!

His TV show basically consists of he and his "reporters" (papparazzi) making fun of everyone they stalk, errr, photograph.

His TMZ show, IMO, is entertainment (for some)...not a legitimate news show, JMO. A tabloid, JMO.

Ok. But the links I provided regarding this case are from TMZ's website.

If you look into the matter of TMZ's accuracy, you will find they are highly respected for their celebrity news coverage. Many MSM outlets use them as their source due to the fact that their stories are very well vetted.

Maybe he thinks he doesn't need a lawyer.

Or maybe he doesn't trust lawyers since RW brought him to see one in order to sign a short statement right after NW died.

IMO

One more thing and I'll let the TMZ subject go since it's not really the topic of the thread....

They are "hard hitting" journalists of celebrity news. Who broke the Michael Jackson death story? TMZ

Thats just one example. There are hundreds more.

If it's celebrity news, as is the Natalie Wood investigation, TMZ is almost always the first to break the story. And their reporting is always accurate.

If they say sources at the DA's office said those things, you can pretty much bet your bottom dollar they did.

I don't see them breaking the Michael Jackson story as some big feat.

They are from LA and have paparazzi like vultures spying on celebrities' homes.

IMO

I don't see them breaking the Michael Jackson story as some big feat.

They are from LA and have paparazzi like vultures spying on celebrities' homes.

IMO
Just have to say again, so I can drop it ;) ...they are paparazzi to the max. And mean-spirited ones, at that...every single story on their television show (that I watched a few times) made fun of and/or put down the subject(s)...camera subjects, i.e., people. The people that make HL the mega-$$$. The show uses annoying graphics and sound effects over the stories, and HL and paparazzi sit in a room cracking rude jokes (about the people they stalk) in between the stories. The people that make them the $$$. Just my experience and assessment...

I'm not sure if TMZ is considered MSM (for linking) at WS, or not...altho that is a good question.

Ok, I've provided several links.

You are confusing the show (entertainment) with their journalism.

While you see tabloids like the enquirer being sued on a regular basis for making up stories and reporting falsities, you will be hard pressed to find 1 suit against TMZ.
They fact check every story.

Many MSM outlets use them as a source due to their reputation of accuracy.

Think what you will.

Here is the link to TMZ's article:

http://www.tmz.com/2011/11/22/no-prosecution-natalie-wood-death-investigation/#.TsxtPyp5mc0

Sources in the L.A. County District Attorney's Office are scratching their heads over the Natalie Wood death investigation, because they say there's no way the D.A. is going to prosecute Robert Wagner or anyone else.

Under California law, even if Wagner accidentally pushed Natalie into the dark water ... the most he could be charged with is involuntary manslaughter. But here's the problem -- there's a statute of limitations of 3 years for that crime, so prosecutors would have had to file charges 27 years ago. Ditto voluntary manslaughter, which has a statute of limitations of 3 years.

As for why the Sheriff is investigating the death ... one D.A. source said, "It's an exercise in futility. I just don't get it."

*as I said above, TMZ is a very reliable source. I'm sure they are not making this up.

Oh, I believe they said it. Prosecutors have personalities and perspectives like everyone else. I lived with one for 13 years and he was a nay-sayer before LE gave him the goods (if they had it). They are surely looking at the crimes that fall outside the S/L (no reason to pursue the others) so big ole BOP there. I still say -- nothing is likely to stick, but somebody has something worth looking at or I doubt it would have gone this far. I guess I am more interested in the case from a non-legal standpoint (i.e. what really happened? Even though we know we will never really know).

Eve

Oh, I believe they said it. Prosecutors have personalities and perspectives like everyone else. I lived with one for 13 years and he was a nay-sayer before LE gave him the goods (if they had it). They are surely looking at the crimes that fall outside the S/L (no reason to pursue the others) so big ole BOP there. I still say -- nothing is likely to stick, but somebody has something worth looking at or I doubt it would have gone this far. I guess I am more interested in the case from a non-legal standpoint (i.e. what really happened? Even though we know we will never really know).

Eve

That was the point I was trying to make. If TMZ says they said it, they said it. They are not going to open themselves up to a lawsuit for reporting something false. They never do. IMO

I really doubt anything will come of this. I would love to know what happened that night too. But I think too much time has passed. I don't think we will ever know.

The captain's timing is bizarre to me. He is hinky to me.

That's why I think this is a waste of time and resources.

TMZ's usually pretty good. True, they recently did provide a picture they claimed to be Jerry Sandusky - he of the alleged child rape cases at Penn State - eating doughnuts at an airport, suggesting he was footloose and fancy free, out of state and flying further (while out on $100,000 unsecured bond) and it turned out (rather obviously, really; looked only a little like Sandusky) to be some other old guy just sitting in an airport and eating doughnuts. But all media make mistakes on occasion.

We live in an imperfect world with imperfect reporting. Caveat emptor, readers. Let the reader beware.

TMZ's usually pretty good. True, they recently did provide a picture they claimed to be Jerry Sandusky - he of the alleged child rape cases at Penn State - eating doughnuts at an airport, suggesting he was footloose and fancy free, out of state and flying further (while out on $100,000 unsecured bond) and it turned out (rather obviously, really; looked only a little like Sandusky) to be some other old guy just sitting in an airport and eating doughnuts. But all media make mistakes on occasion.

We live in an imperfect world with imperfect reporting. Caveat emptor, readers. Let the reader beware.

Snapping a picture of someone and thinking it's someone else is one thing.

Printing a story, quoting someone from the DA's office is quite another.

If they quoted someone, they were told that IMO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JayneDrop
Back