Found Deceased CA - Naya Rivera, "Glee Actress", missing from boat with son, 4, (fnd alive), Lake Piru, 9 July 2020

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Agree, but...desperate people do desperate things? If a person is at the place where taking their own life seems like the best option, I think their judgment in other areas might be impacted as well. (Generally speaking here; not meaning to imply I know anything about NR's mental state.)

Suicide is not a position I want to defend or even argue; it's just where my head & heart are at today. I'm sure as more information is found, I'll get back to a more level-headed opinion.
I'm not discounting your opinion at all. I'm probably also reacting as a mom and mostly as a grandmom (of a 3 year old boy) where his safety is more important than anything to me.

However, why drive all the way there, pack all the items needed to have a fun day on the lake, and even take her son in the first place, if she were that desperate? I don't understand it..and DH is a psychologist, so I'm not unfamiliar with the thought processes of depressed people. There are other ways to commit suicide that would not put a small child at risk. JMO

WOW this is good to know because I thought the way she parked was very odd and thought “I’d never park like that”
I have parked like this...lol..though unaware. It has become more difficult for some reason to judge where the lines are. In my defense, I notice it when I get out and do get back in to correct it, but that's because it would affect another's parking area. However, she was parked in a pretty much empty lot and there were no other vehicles anywhere near her. She might not even had paid it any attention, as she seemed focused on getting her son and their supplies out of 3 different doors. JMO

This seems the most logical explanation to me. On the news tonight, sorry no link at the moment, the 4 year old said he and his mom were swimming, he came back, she did not. But why haven't they found her body? I'm having a hard time believing her body floated that far away. I am a very adventurous mama and take my three boys everywhere by myself, yet this seems a little bit of a risky choice to me. I don't believe it was suicide. You can tell from her pictures how much she adores her son and I'd think she'd want better for him than to leave him stranded on a lake like that.

you sink. then you float up several day to a week later depending on the temperature of the water.

Geez, i park further away from places to get more exercise. Its not like she parked 1/2 a mile away. Social distancing in parking? She's lugging a tote with food and other stuff, possibly a picnic?, and a purse etc. NO ONE is in the parking lot, is almost empty, and her kid is within 6 to 8' of her and she turns around and checks on him multiple times and he is right beside her as soon as they get to the dock. NOT a big deal. They said she had been there before and rented a boat. There are other vids that show in a real time and you can see it all. If it wasn't an accident then she met up with someone on the lake, but i doubt that very much..

The Car parking is just that 'entitled' parking i see all over the place. Not caring where the lines are. She parked facing the water instead of angled. Might have been running late for a reservation. Or on phone as she parked and just didn't pay attention. She pulled up straight in the lines , then backed up crooked. Maybe she was on the phone? Hopefully son will give more info.

WOW this is good to know because I thought the way she parked was very odd and thought “I’d never park like that”

I am literally the worst parker ever. I can be over the lines and then correct it and somehow be even more over the lines.

ETA: For this reason I usually park well away from other vehicles, just like she did.

I'm not discounting your opinion at all. I'm probably also reacting as a mom and mostly as a grandmom (of a 3 year old boy) where his safety is more important than anything to me.

However, why drive all the way there, pack all the items needed to have a fun day on the lake, and even take her son in the first place, if she were that desperate? I don't understand it..and DH is a psychologist, so I'm not unfamiliar with the thought processes of depressed people. There are other ways to commit suicide that would not put a small child at risk. JMO

Because its somewhere she is familiar with and probably feels an emotional connection to. Alot of people who commit suicide choose places that they enjoy visiting no matter how far away it is. And when you have depression or mental health problems you aren't always thinking straight especially if the depression is very deep, you don't think about things like what happens to my son? Etc as you are to depressed to see past the hurt you feel, not by choice but because that's they way the brain works when depressed.

I'm never the person who finds hidden meaning in things, and typically have no problem accepting horrific, inexplicable happenings as accidents (case in point: Harley Dilly). But...I guess I'm going there? The more that I see & read, the more I wonder if this was suicide. The scenario in my head (which admittedly started with the rumor/insight that her last tweet was lyrics from the Eminem song):

(Again - speculation ONLY!) She's leaning toward (July 2 tweet) and then definite about (July 7 tweet) taking her own life. She chooses a method and a location familiar and soothing to her; she chooses a day & time it's likely to be uncrowded, but not deserted. She rents the boat in her own name, for a short period of time, and brings provisions for her son on board, knowing he may be alone for a time. She makes sure he's wearing his life vest. She makes sweet memories swimming with/for her baby. When it's getting close to time for her rental to expire (meaning employees will begin looking for them), she helps him back into the boat, telling him to rest while she keeps swimming - maybe even watches until he lays down, before quietly slipping away. He's awakened by strangers, and tells them exactly what happened - we went swimming, I got back in the boat, she didn't. She's left on her own terms, but there will always be plausible deniability; her son can grow up thinking it was an accident.

Watching the security video reinforces this feeling for me. I get ignoring parking lines, but she seemed IN the lines until she unnecessarily (IMO) backed up. That and the way (as others observed) she seems focused on getting to the pier, leaving her son to walk behind. Not neglectful, but distracted. MOO.

If it's ever learned that her son says more than what's been released so far (i.e. "she splashed, she cried, she called for help"), then I'd absolutely erase these thoughts from my mind. I'm not even sure why I'm feeling so strongly about it as it is.

This is so sad to read :( also is it possible to 'quietly slip away' while drowning? I always thought someone would be splashing around and screaming.

Because its somewhere she is familiar with and probably feels an emotional connection to. Alot of people who commit suicide choose places that they enjoy visiting no matter how far away it is. And when you have depression or mental health problems you aren't always thinking straight especially if the depression is very deep, you don't think about things like what happens to my son? Etc as you are to depressed to see past the hurt you feel, not by choice but because that's they way the brain works when depressed.
As of now, I am assuming this was accidental. But, speculating as a suicide, sometimes mothers feel it is best for their child to go with them and not be left without them in this cruel world. They aren’t thinking straight and actually see this as protecting the child. I can imagine thinking you would both drown together, but then not being able to actually go through with it and leave him on the boat.

Personally I could never suspect suicide. What would guarantee her that her little boy would be safe on a boat with no supervision if she jumped in to drown herself on purpose? She's still a mom and I'd like to believe his wellbeing was foremost in her mind, enough so that she would not leave him to fend for himself on a unanchored boat in the middle of a reservoir. JMO

i don't think it's suicide either (bc i can't wrap my head around it), but maybe she had planned to take him with her, and something changed her mind at the last minute. :(

The thought that we would hear screaming and see thrashing if someone is drowning is very mistaken.

What does drowning sound and look like?

Do you imagine drowning to be splashy and loud, with arms flailing and screams for help, as perhaps seen in a movie? If you thought you could hear if a loved one was drowning, you would be sorely mistaken. The reality is that someone could be drowning a few feet away from you and you wouldn’t know it – because drowning is often silent.

I haven't commented here yet, but I need to say a few things.

First, this is so sad. I loved Glee and she was one of my favorites on the show. The tragedy surrounding the Glee cast has been truly heartbreaking.

Second, the Sheriff has said there is ZERO indication that this was a suicide so why are we still talking about that as a possibility? This is hard enough for her family and friends without throwing that into the mix. I am sure this was nothing more than a tragic accident. She overestimated her own ability and the safety of water for one who can swim.

Finally, I think we are overthinking the parking. Let's not forget, she was an actress who probably had some level of recognition and lack of privacy in public places. I believe she parked as she did to avoid being recognized and hassled in the parking lot going to and from her car. Nothing more.

I think we get so caught up on this site with the crimes that we look for them when there isn't one. There is nothing nefarious here IMO.

This is so sad to read :( also is it possible to 'quietly slip away' while drowning? I always thought someone would be splashing around and screaming.

That was my first thought, as well - that her child would've seen if there was thrashing, waving, etc. But fighting & screaming(*) would be a call for help, and someone intent on suicide wouldn't call for help. People have been known to simply walk into a body of water and expel the air from the lungs, I think?

(* if the person was even able to do that)

I keep wondering if her social media use that we as the public don't know about, such as if she had Snapchat, will offer any insight into what may have happened...I've seen reports saying her purse and id was recovered from the boat, but I haven't seen anything about her phone (although just because it wasn't listed doesn't mean it wasn't in her purse or on the boat)...just random thinking out loud...

SBM for focus only

Second, the Sheriff has said there is ZERO indication that this was a suicide so why are we still talking about that as a possibility?

For me, it's because it weighs on my heart, and sometimes sharing thoughts helps bring clarity one way or another. It's not sleuthing, just considering. IMO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TruthAndACoffee
Back