Found Deceased CA - Naya Rivera, "Glee Actress", missing from boat with son, 4, (fnd alive), Lake Piru, 9 July 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I based my comments on the Sheriff's comment that implied their investigation is ongoing. "There's no evidence of foul play at this point," sheriff's Capt. Eric Buschow told reporters at the scene. "This may well be a case of drowning." The medical examiner will determine the cause and manner of death once she's found.
THat's exactly right. If she has head damage that is telling, and so would an object tied around her waist. We have no reason to point to either of those at this time. As Alethea points out, nothing is off the table and we know nothing absolute at this time.

Prayers for the family. This is so tragic.

Amateur opinion and speculation

THat's exactly right. If she has head damage that is telling, and so would an object tied around her waist. We have no reason to point to either of those at this time. As Alethea points out, nothing is off the table and we know nothing absolute at this time.

Prayers for the family. This is so tragic.

Amateur opinion and speculation

Also I am sure LE is interviewing anyone who was on the lake that day, anyone else who rented boats. My first concern was not suicide but that she met up with someone on the lake who may have harmed her. We discussed earlier in the thread the practical struggles of taking a young child on a boat like this.

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never heard of a lake having whirlpools?? So this is a deep lake? if it's deep that would lead me to believe that she didn't just dive in and hit her head. I am surprised she would dive in alone and leave her son on the boat even if she thought it was for a moment. especially if no one else was onboard. and I am not an overly anxious person but as a mom of three I just wouldn't have done that. even to cool off.

Just thinking out loud here...

I don't recall seeing if her cell phone was found on board.

If it was on board with her, they can at least check her history based on cell phone activity and narrow down the window of time between when it was last used and when the boat was located.

Even if she didn't use it to surf, hopefully she was taking pictures of her son on the boat that day. If you are cruising very slowly (or stopped), it is very easy to take pics.

It could help focus on a specific area to search in.

Even better if her location was turned 'on' and they can track backwards the path that she took once she left the dock.

I really hope this search doesn't go on for weeks. This must be agonizing for her family.

JMO

she did take a pic w her son that day and posted it on twitter.

I've never heard of a lake having whirlpools?? So this is a deep lake? if it's deep that would lead me to believe that she didn't just dive in and hit her head. I am surprised she would dive in alone and leave her son on the boat even if she thought it was for a moment. especially if no one else was onboard. and I am not an overly anxious person but as a mom of three I just wouldn't have done that. even to cool off.
Max depth 130 ft.
"Due to harsh conditions such as debris, low visibility, whirlpools, strong winds and cold water temperatures, a number of fatalities related to drownings have occurred at Lake Piru."
Many drownings as listed here.
Lake Piru - Wikipedia

Here's an archived link which describes how the lake/reservoir was formed, where swimming is allowed and some characteristics of the lake and surrounding area, as well as recreational activities allowed there. (No crowds these days, I would assume.)

Majestic Lake Piru Is a Big Splash : It's the only lake in the county that allows swimming. Expect crowds on the weekends.

That doesn’t mean you can take a dip anywhere you want in the lake. The main swimming area is a sandy beach on the west side of the lake where lifeguards are on duty weekends from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. (Swimming is allowed there during the week, but at your own risk.)

I would have held my child’s hand too, if for no other reason than kids tend to take off running when they get excited about something.
Yes, the parking didn't bother me so much, but the fact that she was walking so far ahead of a 4-yr-old in the middle of a parking lot (albeit abandoned) and then down the dock where the dock didn't even appear to have guardrails ... That was alarming to me. Maybe I'm considered "over-protective" to my 3.5-yr-old daughter, but I'd be holding her hand tightly that whole walk through the parking lot and especially the dock! Perhaps this goes to show Naya's state of mind was somehow impaired.

But more likely, those are choices she made for whatever reason and they had nothing to do with her drowning, and her death was due to an accident. I still can't imagine jumping into a lake with or without a 4-yr-old child. If you're jumping to swim by yourself, you're leaving a small child alone on a pontoon which can't be safe, and if you're jumping in with your child, that can't be safe either. Ultimately, no disrespect intended, but it sounds like she made a series of risky decisions that led to her tragic death. I feel terrible for her son.

<modsnip: quoted post was removed>

How would they possibly know it wasn't a suicide though? Just because she bought stuff with her? She drowned either way whether it be a suicide or an accident, so I don't see how they will be able to tell, even when they find her body?

Last edited by a moderator:
With all due respect, there is nothing at all "fishy" about this situation. There is absolutely no evidence that any crime was committed and there is no evidence that Naya was depressed or suicidal. In fact, everything I have seen is to the contrary, that she was happy in her life and was a loving mother who doted on her son.

Furthermore, there are many other threads on this site where folks trust the judgement of LEO and will defend that vigorously. I don't understand the difference here. Why the distrust of LEO to have all the facts? Why distrust their professional opinion that there is no indication of suicide or anything other than a tragic accident?

I don't find her behavior odd at all. I don't find it dangerous or reckless. I find it the actions of a single mother who was comfortable in a location, and overestimated her safety. We have all done that at one time or another.

Some of her Instagram posts are a little weird

Sorry if this was asked but was the boat anchored? The articles I read made it seem like it was not. I’m no boating expert but I assume you would not leave an unanchored boat. Perhaps the boat jerked and she fell over and possibly hit her head. JMO

Putting all my good energy towards her family and especially her little boy. Losing a parent as a child is devastating, especially with such tragic circumstances.

That was my first thought, as well - that her child would've seen if there was thrashing, waving, etc. But fighting & screaming(*) would be a call for help, and someone intent on suicide wouldn't call for help. People have been known to simply walk into a body of water and expel the air from the lungs, I think?

(* if the person was even able to do that)

That's not what drowning is like in real life. It is quiet. People have said they didn't even know their loved one went under.

Some comments online say maybe she was hit by a jet ski. There was a jet ski in the cctv video of her and they are looking for the person who was riding it.
Whilst a 4 year old may be a little vague with their description of what they saw, I’m fairly sure a jet ski would have featured in the conversation, if involved. I know people are linking it because of the CCTV- but apart from being a possible witness, I doubt they are any more involved.

Deaths around water are so very frustrating, it's very natural to want to speculate.

Nearly every time a young man goes missing at night, he ends up being found in the water. And there are never cameras to show us exactly what happened for sure - carelessness, suicide/neglect of self, accident, foul play. And the body often doesn't give any answers either. How many of us have been on those threads and wondered?

I really feel for the families in such cases - never knowing for sure what happened must be so hard

The area where the boat was found is about 30 feet (9 meters) deep. Murky waters heavy with plants made it difficult for divers to see more than about a foot ahead of them, sheriff’s Sgt. Kevin Donoghue said Thursday.

“If the body is entangled on something beneath the water, it may never come back up,” Donoghue said.

Two videos. In the bottom one I noticed the water is quite choppy in areas.
Authorities to continue search Friday for ‘Glee’ star believed to have drowned | KTLA

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NanaKate321
Back