Found Deceased CA - Naya Rivera, "Glee Actress", missing from boat with son, 4, (fnd alive), Lake Piru, 9 July 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Yes that is another possibility.

There seems to be no definite answer yet on whether the boat had its anchor down.

My main boating experience is with much smaller john boats. One thing that may be adding to the confusion about the anchor is something that happened to me often on a windy lake.

When I would put out the anchor and if I did not leave enough slack rope out then what sometimes happened is the wind blew the boat to the deeper side and the anchor would pull up off the bottom and be free floating. I was trying to fish and only noticed it as I started to see the boat was moving away from where I was trying to fish. I had to pull up the anchor, and restart the boat and go back and then the next time I made sure to put out plenty of slack line and that usually prevented it from happening again.

Another thing that could have happened.
If the anchor weight is too small/light weight and the wind is strong enough, the boat can get dragged along by the wind even with the anchor on bottom.

So something like this could have happened and this could explain the confusion over whether the anchor was down or not.
Right-- I thought I read the anchor was down, but went I went to verify today, all the articles that I saw said it was NOT anchored.
so I sort of went with the latter.
It would be a lot easier for the searchers/divers if the the boat had been anchored as they would have approx. vicinity (a better one) than they do now if it was NOT anchored as it more than likely drifted. UGH

Ive been on boats before but never a Pontoon boat and I have a question if anyone knows.

The movie "Open Water 2 Adrift" was loosely based on a true story where people left their boat and forgot to leave the ladder down to where they could climb back on board. Movie trailer link below.

My question is if someone on a pontoon boat forgot to leave the ladder hooked up before going in the water, would they be able to grab onto something to climb back on board the boat?

I know the motor area would be one place someone could try to climb on board the motor area, but what if the boat had an inboard motor? Not sure if they make those for Pontoon boats or not.

Wondering if it is even possible not to have a way to get back on board the boat. Those large tubular metal ballasts on a pontoon would be slippery and are pretty large width so I am not sure if someone could climb up those from the water level.

Some boat ladders can be accessed from the water, even if they're up. Some ladders are folding, some are straight. It depends on what's been installed on the boat. IMO.

This is so sad to read :( also is it possible to 'quietly slip away' while drowning? I always thought someone would be splashing around and screaming.

That is not true. It’s a silent death.
Ive been on boats before but never a Pontoon boat and I have a question if anyone knows.

The movie "Open Water 2 Adrift" was loosely based on a true story where people left their boat and forgot to leave the ladder down to where they could climb back on board. Movie trailer link below.

My question is if someone on a pontoon boat forgot to leave the ladder hooked up before going in the water, would they be able to grab onto something to climb back on board the boat?

I know the motor area would be one place someone could try to climb on board the motor area, but what if the boat had an inboard motor? Not sure if they make those for Pontoon boats or not.

Wondering if it is even possible not to have a way to get back on board the boat. Those large tubular metal ballasts on a pontoon would be slippery and are pretty large width so I am not sure if someone could climb up those from the water level.

IMO you’d never be able to get back on without a ladder. I’ve been on many pontoons.

Yes, it is possible to get back on the pontoon as my kids and grandkiddos have done it.
I can no longer do it as I don't have the upper body strength anymore to pull myself up, (or my bottom end is heavier than it was LOL )but I used to be able to do this...We would grab hold of the side, swing their legs onto the pontoon, and swing up.. like, straddling a horse, I guess is the best visual I can come up with.
Once they are straddled on the pontoon, they can scoot up to the boat area and be on the boat.

JMO
The straddling a horse and pulling yourself around on top of it is a good analogy. I think you are correct that it depends on strength to be able to pull yourself up and over where you are sitting on the pontoon tube. I can see kids and young adults being able to do it.

I just hope investigators can determine what happened and of course find her first which is the main thing. It sounds like the lake is pretty deep in spots.

That is not true. It’s a silent death.
Especially if they got tangled up in trees, seaweed, etc and were stuck underwater.

IMO you’d never be able to get back on without a ladder. I’ve been on many pontoons.
I have gotten up without ladder before and my grandkiddos do it all the time.

I only made it halfway through the thread before this thought occurred to me, so if someone else suggested it I apologize. IMOO, maybe nature called and she decided instead of getting into the water to just sort of hang her bottom over the edge of the boat. For some reason she lost her balance (wave, wake, just not paying attention) and went in backwards. The shock of hitting the water made her gasp, sucking in water and that was it. Was the water rough that day?
I live near the San Jacinto river in SE TX. People frequently drown because it’s a river bottom, the walk along and suddenly there is no bottom, gasp as they go under, even people that can swim.

I only made it halfway through the thread before this thought occurred to me, so if someone else suggested it I apologize. IMOO, maybe nature called and she decided instead of getting into the water to just sort of hang her bottom over the edge of the boat. For some reason she lost her balance (wave, wake, just not paying attention) and went in backwards. The shock of hitting the water made her gasp, sucking in water and that was it. Was the water rough that day?
I live near the San Jacinto river in SE TX. People frequently drown because it’s a river bottom, the walk along and suddenly there is no bottom, gasp as they go under, even people that can swim.
At this point, anything is possible.
I feel so bad for her son.
I am just saddened by this whole ordeal.

This is such a sad story. I really hope they find her soon. One article said that if she’s stuck on something under the water, she may never be found. I really hope this doesn’t happen because I feel the area would be somewhere that looky-loos or non-professional type rescuers would try to find her, leading to more tragedies on that lake.

This is such a sad story. I really hope they find her soon. One article said that if she’s stuck on something under the water, she may never be found. I really hope this doesn’t happen because I feel the area would be somewhere that looky-loos or non-professional type rescuers would try to find her, leading to more tragedies on that lake.
Oh yeah, it would be so creepy to know that she’s there. It would be creepy to know anyone was there, but knowing who she is and that she’s there... oh my God. I also hope that she’s found for the sake of her family, I can’t imagine the pain they are going through right now, plus having to deal with it in such a public way. That poor baby.

This is a good theory.

Last edited:
I do hope this poor gal's remains are recovered quickly. As sad as this is for her family and loved ones, I shudder at the thought of some civilian coming upon remains that have been in the water for awhile. Very traumatic.
Prayers for all concerned.

Amateur opinion and speculation

Along my same theory she could have gone head first in, maybe something blew out of the boat and she was reaching over the boats edge to grab it. I fell head first into the pool the other day, completely dressed, with my shoes on, phone in my pocket, concealed carry on my back. I was trying to untangle the pool sweep by reaching over and I just fell in. Years of swimming and diving, growing up in the lakes country of MN, I have taught myself to exhale as soon as I hit the water. Keeps water from going up my nose so it’s sort of second nature for me thankfully. I went in, exhaled, twisted myself and got my feet under me and push up off the bottom so I wasn't down long. If a hat or bag or bottle or something fell out and she was leaning over to grab it, it wouldn’t take much wave or wake to possibly lose her balance and again the gasp and drown. Seems a bit more likely than hanging her bottom over the edge but I’m not too proud to say I have done it years ago while fishing.

It seems like there hasn't been much effort in this case to try to determine if any crime was committed. I have never been to this lake, but there are videos online that show camp grounds that surround the lake. Camp grounds usually have transient people staying in them or people traveling from other places. They also might have carried a small boat with them and gotten out to where Naya was quite easily. It seems like she was pretty isolated out there with her son. They also could have had binaculars. But this wasn't some regular person. It was a famous actress, with a huge following. So it seems they should investigate this angle a bit more of possible foul play. She likely drowned, but if she had been out driving her car somewhere and went missing of course they would suspect foul play. So just because she was on a boat doesn't mean she was somehow protected from trouble. It is not like she could have just locked the car doors. She had little protection out there.

If you look at Wikipedia for Piru Lake they've added a section on drownings at the lake. Most if not all of them are similar to Naya Rivera. I don't think there was any foul play. She grew up in that area, probably frequented the lake, and thought a day of swimming and boating would be fun. From the security footage, they were loaded down with stuff for a full day. I feel sad when people say she wasn't watching her son. She was always looking back and as a single mom myself, I often had to get my little kiddos to help out hauling stuff, you just don't have any other arms, and doing two trips is a lot for a little person, so you schlep. She's keeping the pace by walking in front of him but keeps looking back, who knows if she said anything and takes his hand when they get on the ramp toward the boats until she feels comfortable that he's safe or let's go of his hand, which would be because they are both weighted down and she feels comfortable he's safe. Perhaps her idea of fun didn't pan out and when she exerted the energy to get him back on the boat, she didn't have enough for herself and silently drowned. We are heading out to a lake nearby this weekend these are very popular places for Los Angelenos to play and they have all recently opened up with very strict regulations in place. That might also have been why she parked her car so weird. They are only allowing a few boats and people at a time. She tried to park correctly then was like forget it, no one will be here (or this is what I speculate) I know that the lakes are operating at low capacity with strict restriction (only two boats can launch at a time in the rental area) and the lake had only just opened on July 1st. This, in my opinion, was a horrifically tragic accident and we lost a beautiful and talented actress and a little boy lost his precious mommy.

Lake Piru - Wikipedia

It seems like there hasn't been much effort in this case to try to determine if any crime was committed. I have never been to this lake, but there are videos online that show camp grounds that surround the lake. Camp grounds usually have transient people staying in them or people traveling from other places. They also might have carried a small boat with them and gotten out to where Naya was quite easily. It seems like she was pretty isolated out there with her son. They also could have had binaculars. But this wasn't some regular person. It was a famous actress, with a huge following. So it seems they should investigate this angle a bit more of possible foul play. She likely drowned, but if she had been out driving her car somewhere and went missing of course they would suspect foul play. So just because she was on a boat doesn't mean she was somehow protected from trouble. It is not like she could have just locked the car doors. She had little protection out there.

I understand where you are coming from but Josey is almost 5 years old (he turns 5 in September) he is at an age where kids talk. I truly feel if it was foul play that Josey would be missing too. I hate even typing this but yeah he is at the age where kids talk which is why investigators are taking what Josey said and going with drowning because the way he described it is how a child would if they were telling the truth. JMO

I'm following. Whatever happened out there on the lake is heartbreaking. I also believe this was a terrible accident. I have swum in lakes, but don't like it. You don't know what's underneath, and one tends to feel "heavier" in fresh water than in salt water. I did read somewhere that Naya had been there before, that it was her "happy place" so I expect she has swum in that lake on previous occasions. Still, water is always unpredictable. Her poor little son....
I agree with lakes feeling heavier. Even looking at the pictures of this lake on line looks very "lake placid" and over all gives me a very uneasy feeling.

CNN article I read said that wind was a problem on the lake. This could have pushed the boat away from her, leaving her stranded and unable to catch up. While difficult to interview, the 4 y/o son said that " Mommy did not get back on the boat when he did", or words to that effect.
I was hoping the survalince cameras would catch just a little more. It shows her headed towards the right side of the lake (south) but ended up around the north end (the narrows) so the cameras should've picked that up. I'm hoping anyway.

Hi - your first post, and an excellent one. Welcome, glad you are here and contributing.

Agree completely. Yes, it is most likely this is an unfortunate accident, *but we don't know that*, and I agree foul play should be considered. The child is old enough to be able to report (to some degree) what happened, but children are often told "not to tell" when there is misdoings.

So we must wait for the remains to be found, and an autopsy, which should pretty quickly determine the cause of death. (Unless the remains aren't found for a while; then it will be more difficult).

Great post. Agree the with a pretty actress you need to consider stalking, jealousy, revenge, and all that goes with that.

Amateur opinion and speculation

This is a terrible situation. Regardless of what happened... a small child lost his mom. That is going to affect him for the rest of his life, regardless of how many other loving family members he may have to raise him.

I have never been a fan of swimming in lakes. I would do it as a child, but once I was an adult, the thought of swimming in water where I have no idea what is underneath me is just way too creepy for me. I abhor touching plants or anything with my feet... shudder. The ocean is different because I know there is sand there (and I can usually see it) and it just feels cleaner than a lake.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Neilyboy13
Back