CA - Off Duty Police Officer shoots man and parents after altercation in Costco, Corona, June 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
How many other people could shoot three people at Costco and go home with their family? Must be nice to have access to top notch legal team, courtesy of the union, and get the "facts" straight, before giving a statement.

Like your tagline states, the "odds were in his favor." From the moment the incident began.

The police won't release the autopsy report for the same reason they won't release the video. It most likely does not support their position.

There is a difference between facing away, and having your back to someone, and fleeing, where you're actively running away. My guess is fleeing is the last thing they wanted to do. Nor did they want to confront the guy by approaching him. I'm guessing it happened exactly as one would think it happened. They had their backs to the shooter, and were trying to move their son away from the situation.

Again, I think it's clear that the shooters position would carry a great deal more weight if it was shown he was still being attacked by an approaching soon to be victim. My guess is the autopsy report & video put that in extreme doubt.

He's a cop, therefore he's above the law. When you're special, there are a lot of things you can get away with. That's the way things work nowadays. And when they want to keep the public opinion out of it, they just cover up whatever evidence might contradict their position.
I still would like to see if the autopsy report matches with the description given by the family attorney.

I will not base my own personal opinion on information provided from only one obviously biased source.

I need more facts not lawyerly opinion to get me off the fence on this case. JMO

Won’t this boil down to - proximate cause ?

Law on proximate cause is broad. So broad that if an action taken by a defendant plays any role in leading to a person’s death, he can be held liable for murder — no matter how many intervening circumstances exacerbated the injury. It doesn’t matter if the decedent could have been treated and avoided death with proper medical care. It doesn’t matter if the victim hastened his own death through his own screw-up —

JMO

There are a million things that I don't understand about the shooter's actions, but beyond all that, I can't escape the fact that he's essentially allowed to shoot and critically wound Both parents, when they were in No Way threatening him or "endangering his life." It sickens me that we even have to debate that aspect of this incident, because it seems pretty cut and dried to me. Why that doesn't warrant some attempted murder charges smells suspiciously like preferential treatment. And he was not even on duty.

At the very least he should be charged with attempted murder, and if they want to continue debating a further charge of manslaughter, then hold off on that. Instead they're in cover up mode, the killer is on the payroll, and the only ones really suffering are the parents of the victim.

I have a hard time believing that authorities didn't get a statement form officer Sanchez soon after the shooting.

.snip

‘It Could Happen to Anyone’: Family of Man Fatally Shot by Off-Duty LAPD Officer at Corona Costco Speaks Out

In the case of Kelly Thomas, the mentally ill homeless person who was beaten to death by Fullerton police officers, the officers were not only allowed to see the video, but were encouraged to tailor their statement(s) to what the video showed. And it wasn't until they viewed the videos that they gave statements.

I have a hard time imagining any justification for shooting the two parents in the back, as there is no indication that either of them posed any threat whatsoever.

In the case of Kelly Thomas, the mentally ill homeless person who was beaten to death by Fullerton police officers, the officers were not only allowed to see the video, but were encouraged to tailor their statement(s) to what the video showed. And it wasn't until they viewed the videos that they gave statements.

I have a hard time imagining any justification for shooting the two parents in the back, as there is no indication that either of them posed any threat whatsoever.
I'm not familiar with the Kelly Thomas case. Are the same people that did those things in that case involved in this case?

I hope you are not saying that all LE are bad actors who alter evidence.

I'm not familiar with the Kelly Thomas case. Are the same people that did those things in that case involved in this case?

Enough people believe that, so criminals go free every day. The OJ trial is an excellent example, the jury believed that OJ was set up by the police with evidence to convict him of Nicole Brown's murder, and her friend, Ron Goldman.

There have been so many instances where police officers are given a pass on criminal activity, that I believe the public is tired of it, and rebels during trials.

Enough people believe that, so criminals go free every day. The OJ trial is an excellent example, the jury believed that OJ was set up by the police with evidence to convict him of Nicole Brown's murder, and her friend, Ron Goldman.

There have been so many instances where police officers are given a pass on criminal activity, that I believe the public is tired of it, and rebels during trials.
I think that we should punish cops who break the law. That doesn't mean that all cops are bad.

The defense in the OJ case didn't prove that LE set him up. They played the race card to get an acquittal. JMO.

French continuing to act aggressively is something I still feel is a possibility.

I guess it's also possible that French shoved Sanchez to the ground and then immediately switched to a passive demeanor.

I just don't know with the information we have at this point. JMO

It is possible that French continued to act aggressively after attacking the shooter.
If so, the shooter's lawyer seems extremely negligent in not mentioning this in his statements.

I think that we should punish cops who break the law. That doesn't mean that all cops are bad.

The defense in the OJ case didn't prove that LE set him up. They played the race card to get an acquittal. JMO.

True. But the jury did believe that a detective set OJ up. Your question that I answered was "Do I believe that officers are unethical..."...something like that....and my answer is that many people do believe that police officers are unethical.

Sadly. Because there are many police officers who are extremely honest and ethical. And even nice. Contrary to what is in the news.

I don't think anyone here would say ALL law enforcement are bad actors, but we've seen enough to know that there are plenty, and what is worse, there are plenty more who will help cover for them and protect them. That's the disturbing part. When they play around and delay information being released, it's almost a guarantee that they're trying to cover something up and/or hoping the public will forget about it.

There are a million things that I don't understand about the shooter's actions, but beyond all that, I can't escape the fact that he's essentially allowed to shoot and critically wound Both parents, when they were in No Way threatening him or "endangering his life." It sickens me that we even have to debate that aspect of this incident, because it seems pretty cut and dried to me. Why that doesn't warrant some attempted murder charges smells suspiciously like preferential treatment. And he was not even on duty.

At the very least he should be charged with attempted murder, and if they want to continue debating a further charge of manslaughter, then hold off on that. Instead they're in cover up mode, the killer is on the payroll, and the only ones really suffering are the parents of the victim.
Exactly. No one, including cop's defense lawyer, suggest parents threatened him in any way. Yet he shot them, they are both seriously injured, require multiple surgeries, father lost a kidney, had infection in multiple organs, mother was in a coma. Obviously they are lives are severely affected by this.
In what way could that be possibly justified? How is that cop not charged yet with two counts of attempted murder?

I can understand why they would like to view the video of the shooting. At the same time they are probably the best witness's to the entire event.

Their son can't testify to what happened and officer Sanchez was apparently unconscious during part of this incident.

Why can't they give us the details of what happened since the video is being withheld from public view? JMO.

I read details. They said he identified himself as a police officer and pulled his gun. They then pleaded at him not to shoot and he shot anyhow.

I don't know if they were facing him or their son at the time of the shooting. No one says.

Either they were trying to protect him from being shot and turned to cover him, which is a parental instinct, or they were trying to stop him from advancing on the cop. We shall see. Maybe.

Apparently it is more than one video and they show parts of what happened.

I also note that while the LAPD withheld the video it was the prosecution- the ones in charge of deciding whether to file charges- that petitioned the court to seal the video for an entire year.

That seems like an excessively long time to decide whether to charge someone. Does LE have a copy? Does everyone but the victims as the public has a copy? If so, I'm troubled by that.

I'm also troubled by the fact that a large grown man who was so ill with schizophrenia that he was non-verbal, was being taken to very busy public places. Maybe that is due to my ignorance about the condition. But it seems if he's that ill, he's either not on medication or it's not working.

And I know not everyone who is mentally ill is violent but it seems risky to bring a large man you can't easily control into a busy public place where there are children, disabled people and elderly, a lot of stimulation and noise and no way for your adult child to communicate his or her discomfort or internal stimuli (hallucinations) or whatever. Seems like a problem waiting to happen.

Last edited:
The son was also shot in the back, so I really doubt he was advancing on Sanchez. Perhaps they were trying all to run away?
"Kenneth French also had his back to the officer when he was struck multiple times, family attorney Dale Galipo said."
‘It Could Happen to Anyone’: Family of Man Fatally Shot by Off-Duty LAPD Officer at Corona Costco Speaks Out

That does make it seem unlikely he was aggressive after the cop got up off the ground.

My sense at this point is that the son suddenly pushed the cop to the ground. The cop got up, while pulling out his gun and yelling that he's police and as the family begged and turned to get away he palmed off several shots.

The cop claims through his attorney that he shot while on the ground. But a witness says otherwise:

“He stood up by himself. He pulled out his handgun and starts triggering five to seven shots,” Ms. Bawit said, adding that she was within 10 feet of the men and then took cover. “I was hiding in between the meat aisle, behind the freezer section. I thought I was going to be dead, too.”

Also, witnesses apparently stated his wife was holding the baby. Not him.

Someone is lying.

Costco Shooting Leaves Family of Man Killed by Off-Duty Officer Demanding Answers

They did and were in the Kelly Thomas case. They threatened witnesses and confiscated and destroyed their cell phone videos of the beating. I spoke to several witnesses.

It happens with the police. Not all but it should never happen and I don't blame people for being concerned here under the circumstances. I am concerned. Still waiting for more info before I can judge completely but I'm torubled by what we are hearing and the sealing of the video.

This is a case of public interest. LE is powerful and have guns in public places. Whether or not they abuse that power is a serious concern of the public. Or should be. So we should have access to the video.

True. Unfortunately LE helped by employing racists who used the N word and wore black face and then testified as witnesses.

Nail in the coffin.

I don't think anyone here would say ALL law enforcement are bad actors, but we've seen enough to know that there are plenty, and what is worse, there are plenty more who will help cover for them and protect them. That's the disturbing part. When they play around and delay information being released, it's almost a guarantee that they're trying to cover something up and/or hoping the public will forget about it.

I support LE until they do something to break my trust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crimecat8