CA CA - Otay, WhtFemale, 14-18, UP16712, homicide, burned, deformed right ear, extensive dental work, Feb'78

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Otay Jane Doe was a white teenager aged between 14 -18 years, stood aproximately 5’0 – 5’1 inches (1,52 - 1,55 m), weighed between 85 – 90 pounds ( 38,5 – 40,8 kgs). She had brown shoulder lenght hair and wore it in a ponytail tied with a rubber band, she possibly had brown eyes too, but it was never confirmed. Her right ear was malformed and smaller than the left one, both ears were pierced. In the time of her death, she was wearing a black or blue denim overalls and a white halter top with a blue flower pattern, no shoes or socks were found on the scene. She had an extensive dental work.

CASE

On february 14, 1978 her body was found in Otay, California next to a pavement of Proctor Valley Road, a rural area near San Miguel Ranch, Chula Vista. Based on the condition of the remains, was establed that Jane Doe died 2 days prior to being found, her cause of death diverge in some sources, various sites lists her death as a homicide by poisoning but the kind of poison or drugs used was not revealed to the public. Doe Network lists her death as undetermined, but said that the autopsy showed drugs in her system. She was tortured for a period of time and set on fire after her death, but fortunately her face, arms and legs recieved minimal or no damage. One of her front theets were broken in a half. Her dental records are available for comparison but her DNA and fingerprints are not.

INVESTIGATION
In 42 years of this case, there is little information available about the leads investigated, there is more theories about what happened to her and who she was. In 2014 investigators released more informations about the case ( I listed all I found above) and a new reconstruction of her. Although the detectives efforts, no one came foward with tips.

THEORIES

She could have some special need and was abused and killed by her caregivers
She could be killed by a farmer or a family member that lived in the ranch and they never reported her as missing
She could have done something that is consider wrong for her community and they killed her, the body could have been set on fire to hide evidences
Maybe she grow up in a orphanage
Maybe she was a farmer worker

Any theories about her case?

Just pondering. She was not wearing any shoes or socks. She was killed inside somewhere and then dumped at the place she was found and set on fire. Just wondering....how far from home in terms of distance and/or driving time would you realistically dump a body?

Just wondering....how far from home in terms of distance and/or driving time would you realistically dump a body?
Considering the cases we've seen throughout the years, you could just dispose of someone in a neighbouring county because the lack of communication between the respective LE, I'm afraid. Throw in other factors like refusing to take a mp report, take it, but not take it seriously enough to investigate or follow up, or purge the report as time passes by.. you all know the scenarios here. She can well be a local girl, fallen between the cracks, and her next of kin lives on, believing she's an active case. Ugh, it's frustrating!

Guys, few things. What is strangely interesting is the fact that after she was almost beaten to death she was given pain killer by someone to relieve her from that pain of beating. Showing care. She was given perhaps extra doze for her extra pain. Would that "caring" be done by person who have beaten her in the first place or other person in the household or nearby

What makes you think she was drugged after she was beaten?

Just pondering. She was not wearing any shoes or socks. She was killed inside somewhere and then dumped at the place she was found and set on fire. Just wondering....how far from home in terms of distance and/or driving time would you realistically dump a body?

I have seen some old timers on this board swearing by magic number of 22 miles. Apparently lots of bodies are found and matched within that distance. When I research I usually go by 50 mile radius.

Of course, there are often exception to the rules - truckers, hitchikers or others who cross numerous states to dispose of someone.

What makes you think she was drugged after she was beaten?

Both beating and taking pain killer was in short timeframe just before her death. It is just my own assumption and deduction that she took or was given painkiller due to pain she endured. One would not take painkiller (non addictive) if one is not in pain yet, hence my logical reasoning - getting lots of painkillers after severe beating.

Of course it just my own logical deduction and it is not a fact, and yes, I could be wrong.

Both beating and taking pain killer was in short timeframe just before her death. It is just my own assumption and deduction that she took or was given painkiller due to pain she endured. One would not take painkiller (non addictive) if one is not in pain yet, hence my logical reasoning - getting lots of painkillers after severe beating.

Of course it just my own logical deduction and it is not a fact, and yes, I could be wrong.
My assumption has always been that she was given drugs to sedate her and make her more pliable to abuse, before and maybe during the attack, until she finally overdosed and died.

I have seen some old timers on this board swearing by magic number of 22 miles. Apparently lots of bodies are found and matched within that distance. When I research I usually go by 50 mile radius.

Of course, there are often exception to the rules - truckers, hitchikers or others who cross numerous states to dispose of someone.

Interesting, thanks...I always look at the distance between lost and found, but I never -consciously- overlooked the millage as an overall pattern for some reason. In the future I will pay attention to that.

My assumption has always been that she was given drugs to sedate her and make her more pliable to abuse, before and maybe during the attack, until she finally overdosed and died.
Demerol can stay in the system for up to 3 days

Demerol can stay in the system for up to 3 days
Interesting. But in general, in any overdose case, would not overdose death happen fairly quickly after administration of drugs? Within minutes, maximum an hour after?

Due to that, was my original reasoning that she might have taken or been administered drugs only after the beating. Again, that just my thought, not a fact.

By the way, I came across something today by accident while looking at another case which seems quite relevant to this case. Will post shortly about that.

Interesting. But in general, in any overdose case, would not overdose death happen fairly quickly after administration of drugs? Within minutes, maximum an hour after?

Due to that, was my original reasoning that she might have taken or been administered drugs only after the beating. Again, that just my thought, not a fact.

By the way, I came across something today by accident while looking at another case which seems quite relevant to this case. Will post shortly about that.
It depends on the route of administration. I agree that she was given the drugs close to her death. I disagree that it was given to her to relieve pain occurring from torture, as there is no evidence for that.

Last edited:
I was looking at the disappearance of Ann Gotlib in 1983, so no, not this Jane Doe. What stopped me and left me with goosbumps are certain details of her possible perp.

Check his Modus Operandi, ages of all of his victims and timeframes of his crimes. He was a veterinarian.
===
In December 2008, authorities announced they believed Gregory Lewis Oakley Jr. was responsible for Ann's 1983 abduction and murder.

He had once abducted his stepdaughter and injected her with a painkiller drug to sedate her. He was charged with attempted murder in that case, but eventually pleaded guilty to assault. In September 1983, Oakley attacked a police officer's thirteen-year-old daughter in her home, stabbed her and attempted to rape her. She survived.

Oakley was arrested for the crime in January 1984 and was then questioned about Ann's case. He denied involvement, but he failed a polygraph test.
---
In June 1984, Oakley was convicted of burglary and attempted rape and sentenced to 30 years in prison.
---
In September 2008, an inmate who had served time in prison with Oakley told authorities Oakley had killed Ann with an injection of the painkiller Talwin. He was a veterinarian and would have had easy access to the drug.

The informant passed a polygraph about his information, and Oakley's former girlfriend corroborated the story.

Link - Ann Gotlib – The Charley Project
====

Timeframe of Gregory Lewis Oakley Jr. other crimes - certain parts bolded by me for relevance
  • July 1979. While living in Alabama, Oakley was identified as a suspect in the attempted assault of a 13 year old female using a hypodermic needle. The victim fought off the attack and fled.
  • July 1979 - Alabama. Oakley assaulted a 13 year old female by injecting her with Katemine and then fled on foot. Oakley was charged and convicted for this offense.
  • November 1981 - Alabama. Oakley assaulted his 13 year old step-daughter with Demerol. Oakley was charged and plead guilty to this offense.
  • Fall 1982. Oakley moved to Louisville, Kentucky and became a USDA Meat Inspector for the Louisville office.
  • June 1, 1983 - 3:50 pm. Evidence shows Oakley made a bank transaction at the Liberty Bank branch at the Bashford Manor Mall.
  • June 1, 1983 - 5:30 pm Ann Gotlib disappears from the Bashford Manor Mall parking lot while riding her bike on her way home from a friend's house.
  • September 1983 - Oakley attempted to abduct two young females walking to school along Goldsmith Lane, several blocks away from Bashford Manor Mall.
  • September 1983 - Oakley assaulted a 13 year old female at her residence on Masemure Court, several blocks away from Bashford Manor Mall. Oakley was charged in 1984 and sentenced to prison.
  • June 2002 - Oakley was medically released from prison and returned to Alabama.
  • October 2002 - Oakley died
  • June 2008 - 25th Anniversary of Ann Gotlib's disappearance prompted new information from witnesses
  • September 2008 - former cell mate of Oakley's advised investigators of Oakley's confession to killing Ann Gotlib by overdosing her with an injection of Talwin.
Link - Police: Convicted felon responsible for Ann Gotlib's disappearance and death
===
Added by me - Reading all this reminds me so much of circumstances of this Jane Doe. Everything lines up for perp of this Jane Doe case to be possibly him, only important part which does not - is location of his crimes even though it does not state where he was year prior to 79 (when this Jane Doe was found in Feb 78) and it does not seem like he travelled much. He was veterinarian though and Jane Doe was found near the farms.

His modus operandi - of sedating/druging his victims to be abused is very much the same as Azure theory mentioned here previously for this Jane Doe.

Last edited:
I was looking at the disappearance of Ann Gotlib in 1983, so no, not this Jane Doe. What stopped me and left me with goosbumps are certain details of her possible perp.

Check his Modus Operandi, ages of all of his victims and timeframes of his crimes. He was a veterinarian.
===
In December 2008, authorities announced they believed Gregory Lewis Oakley Jr. was responsible for Ann's 1983 abduction and murder.

He had once abducted his stepdaughter and injected her with a painkiller drug to sedate her. He was charged with attempted murder in that case, but eventually pleaded guilty to assault. In September 1983, Oakley attacked a police officer's thirteen-year-old daughter in her home, stabbed her and attempted to rape her. She survived.

Oakley was arrested for the crime in January 1984 and was then questioned about Ann's case. He denied involvement, but he failed a polygraph test.
---
In June 1984, Oakley was convicted of burglary and attempted rape and sentenced to 30 years in prison.
---
In September 2008, an inmate who had served time in prison with Oakley told authorities Oakley had killed Ann with an injection of the painkiller Talwin. He was a veterinarian and would have had easy access to the drug.

The informant passed a polygraph about his information, and Oakley's former girlfriend corroborated the story.

Link - Ann Gotlib – The Charley Project
====

Timeframe of Gregory Lewis Oakley Jr. other crimes - certain parts bolded by me for relevance
  • July 1979. While living in Alabama, Oakley was identified as a suspect in the attempted assault of a 13 year old female using a hypodermic needle. The victim fought off the attack and fled.
  • July 1979 - Alabama. Oakley assaulted a 13 year old female by injecting her with Katemine and then fled on foot. Oakley was charged and convicted for this offense.
  • November 1981 - Alabama. Oakley assaulted his 13 year old step-daughter with Demerol. Oakley was charged and plead guilty to this offense.
  • Fall 1982. Oakley moved to Louisville, Kentucky and became a USDA Meat Inspector for the Louisville office.
  • June 1, 1983 - 3:50 pm. Evidence shows Oakley made a bank transaction at the Liberty Bank branch at the Bashford Manor Mall.
  • June 1, 1983 - 5:30 pm Ann Gotlib disappears from the Bashford Manor Mall parking lot while riding her bike on her way home from a friend's house.
  • September 1983 - Oakley attempted to abduct two young females walking to school along Goldsmith Lane, several blocks away from Bashford Manor Mall.
  • September 1983 - Oakley assaulted a 13 year old female at her residence on Masemure Court, several blocks away from Bashford Manor Mall. Oakley was charged in 1984 and sentenced to prison.
  • June 2002 - Oakley was medically released from prison and returned to Alabama.
  • October 2002 - Oakley died
  • June 2008 - 25th Anniversary of Ann Gotlib's disappearance prompted new information from witnesses
  • September 2008 - former cell mate of Oakley's advised investigators of Oakley's confession to killing Ann Gotlib by overdosing her with an injection of Talwin.
Link - Police: Convicted felon responsible for Ann Gotlib's disappearance and death
===
Added by me - Reading all this reminds me so much of circumstances of this Jane Doe. Everything lines up for perp of this Jane Doe case to be possibly him, only important part which does not - is location of his crimes even though it does not state where he was year prior to 79 (when this Jane Doe was found in Feb 78) and it does not seem like he travelled much. He was veterinarian though and Jane Doe was found near the farms.

His modus operandi - of sedating/druging his victims to be abused is very much the same as Azure theory mentioned here previously for this Jane Doe.

Oh wow. Would really be interesting to know where he was prior to 1979.

Her malformed ear could be microtia, and could have been a result of her mother taking certain drugs during pregnancy, such as accutane. Facts about Anotia/Microtia | CDC

Amateur opinion and speculation

Accutane wasn't on the market at the time of her death in 1978, let alone at the time of her birth. It wasn't approved until 1982.

857UFCA - Unidentified Female
857UFCA.jpg
857UFCA2.jpg
857UFCA1.jpg

Reconstructions of the victim.

Date of Discovery: February 14, 1978
Location of Discovery: Otay, San Diego County, California
Estimated Date of Death: Two days prior
State of Remains: Recognizable face
Cause of Death: Undetermined

Physical Description
Estimated Age: 14-18 years old (most likely under 16)
Race: White
Sex: Female
Height: 5'0" to 5'1"
Weight: 85 to 90 lbs.
Hair: Brown, shoulder-length and worn in a ponytail tied with a rubber band.
Eye Color: Possibly brown.
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Her right ear was malformed and slightly smaller than her left ear. Pierced ears.

Identifiers
Dentals: Available. She had extensive dental work completed, including a root canal on the lower front right incisor, which was also cracked in half.
Fingerprints: Not available.
DNA: Not available.

Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: Black or blue denim overalls and a white halter top with a blue flower pattern. She was not wearing socks or shoes.
Jewelry: Unknown.
Additional Personal Items: Unknown.

Circumstances of Discovery
The victim's charred remains were found next to the pavement of Proctor Valley Road in the rural area of Otay near the San Miguel Ranch area of Chula Vista.

She had drugs in her system, which were ruled the likely cause of her death, which officially remains undetermined.

She had been set on fire after her death, most of the damage was located between groin area and right side of her chest. Her face, arms and legs received minimal or no damage.

Investigating Agency(s)
Agency Name: San Diego County Sheriff's Office - Homicide Detail
Agency Contact Person: Detective Will Altenhof
Agency Phone Number: 858-974-2321 or 858-974-2394
Agency E-Mail: william.altenhof(at)sdsheriff.org or sdso.homicide(at)sdsheriff.org
Agency Case Number: 543957

Agency Name: San Diego County Medical Examiner's Office
Agency Contact Person: N/A
Agency Phone Number: 858-694-2905
Agency E-Mail: N/A
Agency Case Number: 78-338

NCIC Case Number: U719652692
NamUs Case Number: 16712
NCMEC Case Number: 1184501
Former Hot Case Number: 863

Information Source(s)
NamUs
NCMEC
NBC 7 San Diego News
San Diego Union-Tribune News Archive
857UFCA

Unknown "Jane Doe"​

Homicide​

• Date: 02/14/1978 (all day)
    Otay, California
  • Introduction: Synopsis: San Diego County Crime Stoppers and the San Diego County Sheriff’s Department’s Homicide Detail continue to look for leads to help identify and locate the person(s) responsible for the 1978 murder of an unidentified woman (Jane Doe).
On February 14, 1978, the body of a white female was found along Proctor Valley Road in Otay. There were signs of trauma to the body. The cause of death was due to poisoning.
The woman was described as being between 15 and 18 years old. She stood about 5’1” and weighed about 90 pounds. She had brown, shoulder length hair worn in a ponytail fastened with a rubber band, brown eyes and pierced ears. Her right ear was deformed and smaller than the left ear. Her front tooth was broken in half.
The unidentified woman was wearing blue denim bib overalls and a white long sleeve midriff blouse with blue flower pattern. She was not wearing any shoes or socks.
JaneDoe_FUll
JaneDoe_Side
Anyone with information is asked to contact us in one of the following ways:
Agenda:JaneDoe_ColdCaseHomicide

There's so many parallels with the case of Karen Lynn Zendrosky
I believe someone distorted the timeline of Karen's Lynn Zendrosky's disappearance.
People reporting false dates of missing people ISN'T uncommon especially if they had a hand in their death. We've seen this is modern cases where people wait YEARS to report them and add tattoos and misleading descriptions of them.
BOTH this unidentified female in Otay, California and Karen Lynn Zendrosky were about the same height, age, weight, hair color, BOTH WORE OVERALLS, and BOTH had a malformed RIGHT EAR.
Plus they look very very similar.
Only they're 2700 miles away from where Karen allegedly lived. Maybe she went on a road trip. Then someone covered it up.
That's for law enforcement to look into.
I submitted this for comparison this morning.
Look at the comparison of the two.
Disregard the timeline for a second. Murderers DO lie.
It's better to submit and be incorrect than to not submit and be right.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220930-154012_Gallery-01.jpeg
    Screenshot_20220930-154012_Gallery-01.jpeg
    108.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20220930-153934_Pixlr-01.jpeg
    Screenshot_20220930-153934_Pixlr-01.jpeg
    119.3 KB · Views: 5

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors