Found Deceased CA - Paul Miller, 51, Canadian, Joshua Tree Natl Park, San Bernardino Co., 13 Jul 2018 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I also wonder about him stumbling upon something happening in the parking lot. Or something about to happen. I think we would have heard if Paul's own car had been tampered with or broken into, but that doesn't mean he didn't return to the trailhead to find someone (or more than one someones) lurking around cars, looking into them, or obviously trying to break into one. All MOO of course, and breaking into cars in tourist areas or at trailheads isn't really all that uncommon, but just something to think about.

After reading the warnings posted in the google reviews about crime (specifically B&E to vehicles) in the free parking lot at the trailhead (where Paul parked), I do have to wonder if he didn't stumble upon criminal activity upon returning from the trail...

Wow - thank you for that link to those reviews of that trailhead at JTNP.

Many years ago (late 1980's) I worked with a lady who went hiking at a local reservoir area with her fiance. Locked her handbag in her car. When the couple returned, they discovered her car was broken into, her handbag gone, driver's license, credit cards, you name it, it was all missing. It was just a nightmare to hear about.

Whenever my husband and I go hiking we always take stuff like that with us, plus cellphones, in a hip pack and/or backpack.

After reading the warnings posted in the google reviews about crime (specifically B&E to vehicles) in the free parking lot at the trailhead (where Paul parked), I do have to wonder if he didn't stumble upon criminal activity upon returning from the trail...
Wow...... it's a shame there are thieves everywhere you go, but this is apparently located so close to large populations of people and way too easily accessible to criminal types who are looking for something for nothing.
I have always loved hiking and nature.. the Rocky Mountains, Ouachita trail, Ozarks... I have tried and can't understand how a desert like this is a place anyone would want to hike. Especially after viewing all the pics I see in Google reviews and elsewhere, it's so dry and desolate. I guess I find green more appealing than brown, not to mention trees and water. To each his own of course. :)

It's so sad that Paul still hasn't been found, unfortunately it seems that local LE hasn't given this case any consideration that it could be a possible crime.
However, I have gotten the impression throughout this case that they might believe he doesn't want to be found, which is certainly not impossible. Whatever it is this might be one of those we will never know either way. jmo

When I think of Paul I always think back to the German tourists who got lost in Death Valley National Park. When their minivan was found the rangers and SAR searched for days but only found a bottle about a mile away under a bush. They never expected that the Germans would be able to walk so far out in the heat but when they were found years later it seems they had walked for miles. I wonder if Paul also walked in the wrong direction for miles to finally succumb in an area SAR hasn’t searched.

This is a very long but super fascinating account of the Death Valley Germans and how they were eventually found by Tom Mahood and others.

The Hunt for the Death Valley Germans

Wow...... it's a shame there are thieves everywhere you go, but this is apparently located so close to large populations of people and way too easily accessible to criminal types who are looking for something for nothing.
I have always loved hiking and nature.. the Rocky Mountains, Ouachita trail, Ozarks... I have tried and can't understand how a desert like this is a place anyone would want to hike. Especially after viewing all the pics I see in Google reviews and elsewhere, it's so dry and desolate. I guess I find green more appealing than brown, not to mention trees and water. To each his own of course. :)

It's so sad that Paul still hasn't been found, unfortunately it seems that local LE hasn't given this case any consideration that it could be a possible crime.
However, I have gotten the impression throughout this case that they might believe he doesn't want to be found, which is certainly not impossible. Whatever it is this might be one of those we will never know either way. jmo

To be honest I am surprised JTNP does not have trail availability limits during the hot summer months like Tucson, AZ does in the Catalina Mountains. And in AZ, that can sometimes extend into early September.

I was hoping Paul has been found by now but the longer it takes, the prospects he is still alive, don't look well.

Paul, where are you?

Paul’s sister Dawne stated during one of her searches that local Sheriff and LE aren’t able to get involved because Paul went missing in National Park territory. Something to the effect that unless park rangers or evidence indicate Paul may have gone out of the park or that foul play was involved , LE won’t investigate. It’s stated in one of her posts from FB Missing Paul Miller and an interview she gave.

Paul’s sister Dawne stated during one of her searches that local Sheriff and LE aren’t able to get involved because Paul went missing in National Park territory. Something to the effect that unless park rangers or evidence indicate Paul may have gone out of the park or that foul play was involved , LE won’t investigate. It’s stated in one of her posts from FB Missing Paul Miller and an interview she gave.
That’s a technicality. She needs to hire a respected retired LE professional as a consultant to help her navigate this.

Amateur opinion and speculation

That’s a technicality. She needs to hire a respected retired LE professional as a consultant to help her navigate this.

Amateur opinion and speculation
Well she stated this way back last fall, guess after her first visit to search. So maybe things have changed. BBM

"I’d like to say that going to the park brought us some closure but the reality is that we are more confused than ever. What could have gone wrong? Paul was missing for 3 hours by the time the search began and I felt we searched further afield from where he could have wandered in that time frame. We have not ruled out foul play despite the lack of evidence. We visited the sheriff’s office only to find that they really have nothing in their file. They too think that Paul is in the park somewhere and that it is not their jurisdiction as a result."

Find Paul Miller

What about the FBI? Has Dawne approached them about her missing brother Paul?

Also - if Paul did meet up with foul play - what are the chances the suspects murdered him, then disposed of him somewhere else in the park? For example, being tossed out a vehicle roadside or behind some rocks? Has the entire perimeter of JTNP been searched?

What about the FBI? Has Dawne approached them about her missing brother Paul?
This is all I've found about that.

"Still, being nearly 2,500 miles away in Canada, the waiting brings some frustrations and questions if all that can be done is. For example, they wonder why the FBI or the nearby Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center in Twentynine Palms haven’t been called in to help.

“There are different jurisdictional issues in California than in Canada,” Otten said. “And that has added layers into the learning curve for all of us in trying to understand why some actions may or may not have been taken ... compared to what we may see as reasonable here.”

NOT FORGOTTEN
Park Superintendent Smith said he understands the family’s concerns.

As of Saturday afternoon, he said, there were no new clues as to what happened to Paul Miller.

“I assure them, the park service will not forget about Mr. Miller. We are doing all that we can,” Smith said."

The FBI, he said, is called in “only if there is a murder or homicide and at this point, there is no indication that is the case ... nothing to indicate this was a planned disappearance.”

Wife of missing hiker from Canada describes 'hell' each day brings since Paul Miller disappeared at Joshua Tree

When I think of Paul I always think back to the German tourists who got lost in Death Valley National Park. When their minivan was found the rangers and SAR searched for days but only found a bottle about a mile away under a bush. They never expected that the Germans would be able to walk so far out in the heat but when they were found years later it seems they had walked for miles. I wonder if Paul also walked in the wrong direction for miles to finally succumb in an area SAR hasn’t searched.

This is a very long but super fascinating account of the Death Valley Germans and how they were eventually found by Tom Mahood and others.

This was a fascinating... Though sad...
Reading!
Thank you!

Thank you for that link - that was a fascinating read.

One thing that struck me as curious was the beer cans and wine bottles that supposedly came from their van. Unfortunately alcohol and the sun - extreme heat like Death Valley - can be a lethal combination. I have to wonder if this family died from heat stroke, where their remains were discovered. The article mentions that empty water and juice bottles were found in the van, I am guessing they did not carry enough water with them. Unbelievably tragic story.

Thank you for that link - that was a fascinating read.

One thing that struck me as curious was the beer cans and wine bottles that supposedly came from their van. Unfortunately alcohol and the sun - extreme heat like Death Valley - can be a lethal combination. I have to wonder if this family died from heat stroke, where their remains were discovered. The article mentions that empty water and juice bottles were found in the van, I am guessing they did not carry enough water with them. Unbelievably tragic story.

The link Suglo provided was interesting (thanks!). There also were two "german canteens" found at away from the van at one point (which may or may not have been theirs) although it seems pretty clear that the group didn't have enough water, nor almost anything else they needed. I think the woman was in street shoes, IIRC.
Yes, tragic. Two small children...

Also - if Paul did meet up with foul play - what are the chances the suspects murdered him, then disposed of him somewhere else in the park? For example, being tossed out a vehicle roadside or behind some rocks? Has the entire perimeter of JTNP been searched?

I don't think a search of that size has ever been conducted by any agency, state, federal or local. At this point, I believe it would be considered a recovery mission, as well. Not sure where all the volunteers would come from.

And since only a tiny fraction of the perimeter of the park is available by a reasonable hike, searchers are limited there too. They'd have to be reprovisioned and all that (just as the original perps would have had to have been).

He can only have wandered so far and if he was abducted, I doubt he was literally carried off - there was a car involved. But I seriously doubt that they've even searched with a 5 mile radius of all roads...it would be an enormous search. 100's of square miles. Weeks and months of volunteer coordination.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicejean1980