Found Deceased CA - Paul Miller, 51, Canadian, Joshua Tree Natl Park, San Bernardino Co., 13 Jul 2018 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
JTHiker

I posted this to BitChute. I took this video about a month or so back but I couldn’t upload to my new YouTube account, no doubt due to my own incompetence. The sound cut out at the start but I didn’t say anything you don’t know already.
You are amazing. You are doing exactly what I was hoping someone to do. You know what? I think you are going to find him.

Please be careful. Remember to keep looking up under those formations.

Surrounding you with positive vibes. Thank you for doing this!

You are amazing. You are doing exactly what I was hoping someone to do. You know what? I think you are going to find him.

Please be careful. Remember to keep looking up under those formations.

Surrounding you with positive vibes. Thank you for doing this!
Thank you. I need good vibes. Not that I get bad vibes, it’s just that I’m walking around in the desert by myself looking for mortal remains and I need all the help I can get.

Thank you. I need good vibes. Not that I get bad vibes, it’s just that I’m walking around in the desert by myself looking for mortal remains and I need all the help I can get.
Sending you positive energy as well. I'm beyond impressed with your own energy, your spirit and your generosity of time.

I too feel there's a good chance you may find him. Continue to be safe on your ventures.

Did we ever get any corroboration for Paul's timeline BEFORE he got to the trailhead? I'm suspicious that someone else put his car there, and we don't actually know that he got there himself, or what might have transpired early that morning.

Supposedly the dogs followed his scent up to the top of the trail...

Supposedly, someone saw him halfway up the trail...

I understand. I did this searching on a farm for a young teen; looking in oil barrels and such. I was shaking like crazy; it was tough.

All I can say to send good vibes is this. If my speculation is correct, Paul transitioned the day he disappeared. What remains is just the earthly shell that some day we will all shrug off. Finding his remains is a spiritual matter that gives his family closure and peace.

While it makes us feel shaky and uneasy, it is the work of earth angels. So you are earning your wings altstnspc!

I absolutely believed him. Neil's description was detailed, fit the timeline, and rang true. He was bombarded on the thread, so bolted. : (
I believe him too. A statement from his sister Dawn about the dog finding Paul's scent (until the dog had to stop due to burned paws), only validates what Neil said. IMO

Hi, I just joined today but have read WS threads of missing hikers in the past. I am starting to receive documents through a Freedom of Information Act request. Here's what I have so far:
http://mtsanjacinto.info/large_files/1streleaseoffoiadocuments.zip
http://mtsanjacinto.info/large_files/2nd_release_of_FOIA_docs.zip
The majority of documents related to searching for Paul Miller are still waiting for review by the regional office because they require redactions, and there's been a backlog because of shutdown-related requests.

Conversion tool for UTM to lat/long:
Lat/Lon and UTM Converstion - Yellowstone Research Coordination Network
The park is in zone 11 north.

Maybe somebody wants to create an online map of the searches? It is tedious to align overlaid images, zoom in on handwriting, and convert UTM. Here's an example map of searches for Bill Ewasko:
Bill Ewasko Searches & Relevant Orbeso/Nguyen Searches
If nobody feels like doing all that, then eventually I'll put up something. I was just hoping that maybe someone on here has a lot of free time. Now that the weather is cooling, there will probably be quite a few people, myself included, out there searching this fall.

Hi, I just joined today but have read WS threads of missing hikers in the past. I am starting to receive documents through a Freedom of Information Act request. Here's what I have so far:
The majority of documents related to searching for Paul Miller are still waiting for review by the regional office because they require redactions, and there's been a backlog because of shutdown-related requests.

Maybe somebody wants to create an online map of the searches? It is tedious to align overlaid images, zoom in on handwriting, and convert UTM. Here's an example map of searches for Bill Ewasko:
If nobody feels like doing all that, then eventually I'll put up something. I was just hoping that maybe someone on here has a lot of free time. Now that the weather is cooling, there will probably be quite a few people, myself included, out there searching this fall.
Truly a tedious task. I'm not even sure how one would go about making a map including everyone who has searched and all the areas that have been searched. Paul's sister did thoroughly describe the areas she where looked. Several Web Sleuthers have searched and made notes about locations. How to even know where all the searches have been?

If the park sends me actual GPS tracks that would be great. Otherwise it has to be an overlaying of the images which can be adjusted in opacity/transparency using the menu in the upper right in CalTopo. Tracing is another option but that would be quite tedious. When I made the Ewasko map, I couldn't get perfect alignment of the helicopter searches, even using a 2-point coordinates method, but it was okay.

CalTopo has a feature where you can draw an approximate route from memory, in case you didn't record GPS during a hike. Multiple lines can be done with clicks, and for drawing continuously I think it's holding down ALT or CTRL or Shift, 1 of those. Editing can be done with the right click menu. Then it can be downloaded as KML or GPX and then uploaded here if that's allowed.

I tried uploaded some tracks, but unfortunately the WS forum doesn't allow GPX files and I'm guessing KML files too. Maybe that could be allowed?

If the park sends me actual GPS tracks that would be great. Otherwise it has to be an overlaying of the images which can be adjusted in opacity/transparency using the menu in the upper right in CalTopo. Tracing is another option but that would be quite tedious. When I made the Ewasko map, I couldn't get perfect alignment of the helicopter searches, even using a 2-point coordinates method, but it was okay.

CalTopo has a feature where you can draw an approximate route from memory, in case you didn't record GPS during a hike. Multiple lines can be done with clicks, and for drawing continuously I think it's holding down ALT or CTRL or Shift, 1 of those. Editing can be done with the right click menu. Then it can be downloaded as KML or GPX and then uploaded here if that's allowed.

I tried uploaded some tracks, but unfortunately the WS forum doesn't allow GPX files and I'm guessing KML files too. Maybe that could be allowed?
Perry: As a suggestion, hit the "report" button on your post and ask a Moderator about allowing the files you are suggesting. It may be they system doesn't have the compatibility or bandwidth to support them, or some other issue. Regardless, if you hit the report button, a Moderator should be able to advise you on that.

Roses

Wow - thank you for requesting those and sharing with the rest of us. Welcome to Websleuths!

sgreeting_welcome_team_100-100.gif

JTHiker

I posted this to BitChute. I took this video about a month or so back but I couldn’t upload to my new YouTube account, no doubt due to my own incompetence. The sound cut out at the start but I didn’t say anything you don’t know already.

Thank you for doing this. It seems he must be out there somewhere.

Thank you for doing this. It seems he must be out there somewhere.

But there is always the possibility that he isn't out there, as well. Sorry to say that, but it's true.

No matter, we just want him found. I do not have the time to undertake the map project but do hope someone can, and I applaud and offer gratitude to anyone who has helped search, or take any interest in Paul's case. We all want the same thing - to find Paul.

That's quite a welcome. :)

I started a basic map with some GPS tracks:
Some Searches for Paul Miller (Incomplete)
I'll slowly add the clues and maybe overlay images when I have time, if nobody else does. The GPS tracks can be downloaded from the link and uploaded to another online map or software. Hopefully others can upload or send their tracks or sketches, and I can add them.

It seems like there hasn't been much searching west of the trail across that plateau and various directions beyond. The dogs losing interest at the oasis and no footprints in the SW draw plus the known foot and air searches seem to suggest, in my opinion, a reasonable likelihood that he left the trail somewhere between the trail crest and the oasis and headed west. He could have gone a long ways if attempting an emergency exit route to Indian Cove Rd.

That's quite a welcome. :)

I started a basic map with some GPS tracks:
Some Searches for Paul Miller (Incomplete)
I'll slowly add the clues and maybe overlay images when I have time, if nobody else does. The GPS tracks can be downloaded from the link and uploaded to another online map or software. Hopefully others can upload or send their tracks or sketches, and I can add them.

It seems like there hasn't been much searching west of the trail across that plateau and various directions beyond. The dogs losing interest at the oasis and no footprints in the SW draw plus the known foot and air searches seem to suggest, in my opinion, a reasonable likelihood that he left the trail somewhere between the trail crest and the oasis and headed west. He could have gone a long ways if attempting an emergency exit route to Indian Cove Rd.
Great job so far! I'm impressed. I got the google map up of the trail so I could compare your map and the trail map. If you could add the actual trail to your map, in another color besides red, I think that would be helpful. The topo map you are using is also helpful, as you can see why they searched where they did. There is a lot of area out there to get lost in.

Thanks. I'll trace the trail sometime in another color. For now, if you uncheck the tracks on the left side they disappear, and you'll see the trail on one of the map layers underneath.

General map tips: turning off labels in the Config menu can speed up rendering. This is especially helpful on older computers and/or maps with lots of tracks. Browser makes a big difference too. Max number of vertices will affect detail and rendering speed. Layer selection and transparencies are in the upper right.

Here's OP6:
http://mtsanjacinto.info/large_files/OperationalPeriod6.NoRedactionsNecessary..pdf
OP4 requires redactions, and that's why it's missing from the 2nd release.

Thanks. I'll trace the trail sometime in another color. For now, if you uncheck the tracks on the left side they disappear, and you'll see the trail on one of the map layers underneath.

General map tips: turning off labels in the Config menu can speed up rendering. This is especially helpful on older computers and/or maps with lots of tracks. Browser makes a big difference too. Max number of vertices will affect detail and rendering speed. Layer selection and transparencies are in the upper right.

Here's OP6:
http://mtsanjacinto.info/large_files/OperationalPeriod6.NoRedactionsNecessary..pdf
OP4 requires redactions, and that's why it's missing from the 2nd release.
Thanks for that tip, and thanks for working on this map! Following the development of your map of tracing the previous search routes will be a learning experience for me, and hopefully, it will help find Paul!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member