Found Deceased CA - Paul Miller, 51, Canadian missing in Joshua Tree National Park, San Bernardino Co., 13 Jul 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Links for info on my prior assertion Paul left his ID and phone back at the hotel:

Thank you to the poster Jash on post 807:

Paul left his cellphone behind (he never carried it with him) as well as all his ID.

Guelph Man Missing In California

Also:

He also left his cell phone at the hotel – not unusual, Otten said.

Missing Without a Trace: Family, friends of Canadian hiker Paul Miller hold tight to hope he's alive in Joshua Tree

From the above link his wife expected him back at 11:00. No wonder he was in a hurry he had only left the motel at around 9:00:

It was around 9 a.m. that he said goodbye to his wife, Stephanie Miller, and drove off to Joshua Tree National Park. When he hadn’t returned by 11 a.m., his wife was concerned, but decided to give him another hour.

The 49 Palms Oasis trail is about 3 miles round-trip with a 300-foot elevation gain and takes two to three hours for hikers to complete, according to the National Park Service.

Very interesting comments, Neil too:

Joshua Tree National Park

I was the last person to see Paul alive.

I was interviewed by park personnel on Saturday 14, the day after he went missing. I’d seen one of the posters describing his disappearance and called in from near the park.

I’m posting this because there’s a lot of junk been written here. He died out there. And his friends and family might be reading this.

I did the hike that morning to 49 palms. I started out from the trailhead about 7.30 am and was at the palms at 8.30. I started back at 8.40. The hike both ways is up to a ridge at half way and then down the other side. Going back, I went about 2/3 of the way up to the ridge and then stopped for 2 or 3 minutes in the shade from a large boulder next to the trail. I was there not earlier than 9am and not later than 9.15am.

Paul came round the bend from the ridge and down the trail towards me. I had him in sight for maybe 10 or 20 seconds. As he went past me I said Hi, he said Hi, and he carried straight on.

He looked in OK shape - hot but nothing out of the ordinary. Hat plus backpack. Doing a good pace. I was surprised he didn’t stop maybe for a few seconds to chat - this was the only shade on the trail and a good place for a breather. I described him to the rangers as a “man on a mission” - he looked like he was on a serious hike and going for it. I read later that he was keen to get to the Palms to get pictures of the sheep. Maybe that was it.

The news stories that say “he was last seen at 9am by his wife” are incorrect. Other reporting that says “he was last seen at 9am” is more accurate - that’s about when I saw him. To get where he was on the trail he probably left the trailhead 30 to 40 minutes before then - say 8.30. The drive in from 29 Palms might have been anything from 10 minutes to half an hour depending on where he was staying.

The hike is relatively short - an hour out and an hour back. There’s a climb of about 300 ft to a ridge then a descent of about the same amount to the palms. But the heat makes it a serious hike. When I started at 7.30 it was low 80’s. When I got back at around 9.30, maybe a bit later, it was high 90’s.

There’s no shade on the trail other than the boulder I mentioned, and that’s only early, before the sun gets higher. The terrain is open rock, scrub and a few cacti. The heat bounces back at you. I drank 2 1/2 litres of water on the hike. The park info says take at least a litre for each hour you’re out and that’s about right. The trail is on the northern edge of the park and at a lower altitude than the other hikes in the park. It’s a lot hotter than those trails.

Searching would not have been easy in that heat either, both for people and the dogs. They did what they could and must have pushed themselves very hard. Brave people. Giving their time and all their energy for a stranger they’d never met - a foreigner even. We could do with more of that.

My heart goes out to his friends and family. The event shook me up but that’s nothing compared to what they are going through.

My condolences.

Okay, here's the famous Neil-post. I believe he made one other that the mods deleted. I didn't see that one.

Okay, here's the famous Neil-post. I believe he made one other that the mods deleted. I didn't see that one.

Written in a very credible fashion. However, unless verified, it means nothing to me especially since there are articles with SAR questioning whether Paul was on the trail at all. I remain on the fence! Trying not to be insensitive, but things aren't adding up.

Still missing: Search for missing Canadian last seen hiking in Joshua Tree to resume this weekend

Quote from this article

During the initial search, the search dogs never detected Miller’s scent and crews failed to find any tracks, hiking equipment or hikers who may have crossed paths with him.

Okay, I'm not defending Neil, although I do think it's very likely that Miller is dead of misadventure, a little ways off the trail.

However, I do notice that the newspaper article and Neil's account are more compatible than I first thought--since the article says that they didn't find any hikers who'd seen Miller--during the initial search.

Neil, on the other hand, says he communicated with park personnel after he saw a poster--which sounds like it was after "the initial search."

Paul disappeared on the 13th, what poster did Neil see? The park was in full force looking for Paul, when or how were the posters made and put up by the 14th in time for Neil to see them? I think this is the guy they should be looking at.

Here’s the article where JTNP confirms there was a witness:

“We have a witness who saw (Miller) at the trailhead that morning, but that’s all,” Park Superintendent David Smith said Saturday. “It is really disconcerting. But we are not going to give up.”

Wife of missing hiker from Canada describes 'hell' each day brings since Paul Miller disappeared at Joshua Tree

Pardon my hiking ignorance, does "trailhead" mean the starting place for the hike? Meaning, he wasn't seen on the trail, but at the point where the trail starts?

Sounds like two different witnesses, one saw him at the trailhead and Neil saw him on the ridge??? Did Neil see a different hiker, Neil said he had a backpack on and a hat, when all I have read said he had a waterpak on and no mention of a hat.

How hard is this to put out a correct story?

Feels like information is held back, which makes me believe something nefarious has happened and LE is working behind the scenes.

I am sitting on a swinging gate.

Paul disappeared on the 13th, what poster did Neil see? The park was in full force looking for Paul, when or how were the posters made and put up by the 14th in time for Neil to see them? I think this is the guy they should be looking at.

Whoa...never even considered that. Are we sure we have all these events in correct sequence? "Neil" sounded pretty legit. I find that in the cases where these witnesses turn out to be wrong, it wasn't malicious; they really thought they saw the missing person. Happens all the time. ALL the time.

Pardon my hiking ignorance, does "trailhead" mean the starting place for the hike? Meaning, he wasn't seen on the trail, but at the point where the trail starts?
Yes that trailhead comment is weird but then again for over 4 weeks the narrative was that no one saw him and then they say this without any explanation of when they knew about this witness. Not sure about these JTNP rangers. Maybe all the heat has gone to their heads o_O j/k (maybe)

It could be that either Neil and/or trailhead witness saw someone else who they thought was Paul. Eye witnesses are not always 100% accurate (for instance, I followed the Mollie Tibbetts case on here closely and one of the neighbors who said he saw her jogging likely was remembering a different night based on what he said she was wearing and the time he gave LE. So he DID really see her but wrong night). The witness(es) may be truthfully 100% thinking they saw Paul but really saw someone else. We probably won't know for sure.

IF Neil is correct and we can place him on the trail--I wonder if Paul was not intending to go all the way to the oasis? I mean, for most hikers, it probably is the main point of the hike, but knowing that he didn't leave until around almost 9, wife expected him back by 11, AND NPS says this hike typically takes 2-3 hours (and I'm assuming he would have done a bit of research on it?), maybe he just went to see if he could see bighorn sheep. Maybe his goal was hike as far as time allows (like if I have one hour total, I'll hike 30 min out and then another 30 back) and see if I find any sheep by then. IDK. Otherwise, I don't know how the timeline makes sense unless he was just unaware and uneducated on the probable time of this hike. Even if he is a super fast hiker, I doubt he'd do it in less than 90 min given the NPS suggested time lower limit is 2 hours (and nothing we have heard suggests Paul is a trail runner, especially in this heat).

I do still wonder about other areas around the parking lot (I posted a screenshot of it earlier). Have those been checked thoroughly? Maybe he was spotted on the trail and made it back to the car safely but went wandering to try and get his sheep picture (or just a cool view) and had misfortune elsewhere nearby within walking distance.

Re: if it's odd to not carry a phone while hiking. His wife says it wasn't odd for him, so I guess that's what I'll go off of for now. I carry mine even when I don't have service but that's also bc I use my phone as my camera. If he had a DSLR he carried and if he knew he wouldn't have service--I guess I could see leaving it in the vehicle. No one sets out on a short hike thinking they will be in peril.

Whoa...never even considered that. Are we sure we have all these events in correct sequence? "Neil" sounded pretty legit. I find that in the cases where these witnesses turn out to be wrong, it wasn't malicious; they really thought they saw the missing person. Happens all the time. ALL the time.
How about if he heard it on the news. If he was a local who was hiking there for example. He may have come forward without needing a poster hanging in the park. Jmo

Has anyone met this Neil face to face?

His information sounds like he knows what he is talking about. It is a shame that in today’s world we must verify everyone.

Not trying to be Negative Nellie, just feeling all factors need to be checked out as this case does not feel right.

Has anyone met this Neil face to face?

His information sounds like he knows what he is talking about. It is a shame that in today’s world we must verify everyone.

Not trying to be Negative Nellie, just feeling all factors need to be checked out as this case does not feel right.
You summed it up perfectly. "Neil" sounds legit to me as well, but the case is just...so..."off".
Maybe I'm jaded. Regardless, I hope Paul is found one place or another....and soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
birdistheword14