Found Deceased CA - Paul Miller, 51, Canadian missing in Joshua Tree National Park, San Bernardino Co., 13 Jul 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not me...probably sadly, my phone and I are attached at the hip. Smaller iPhone (8) in any case. I do think it gives me a certain comfort level, especially if I am by myself.
I used to hike alone without my phone as well, that has changed over the past year or two due to the cases I read about here. Still, I find it odd he wouldn’t have taken it with him given it seems he and his wife may have needed to communicated at some point.

I was the last person to see Paul alive.

I was interviewed by park personnel on Saturday 14, the day after he went missing. I’d seen one of the posters describing his disappearance and called in from near the park.

I’m posting this because there’s a lot of junk been written here. He died out there. And his friends and family might be reading this.

I did the hike that morning to 49 palms. I started out from the trailhead about 7.30 am and was at the palms at 8.30. I started back at 8.40. The hike both ways is up to a ridge at half way and then down the other side. Going back, I went about 2/3 of the way up to the ridge and then stopped for 2 or 3 minutes in the shade from a large boulder next to the trail. I was there not earlier than 9am and not later than 9.15am.

Paul came round the bend from the ridge and down the trail towards me. I had him in sight for maybe 10 or 20 seconds. As he went past me I said Hi, he said Hi, and he carried straight on.

He looked in OK shape - hot but nothing out of the ordinary. Hat plus backpack. Doing a good pace. I was surprised he didn’t stop maybe for a few seconds to chat - this was the only shade on the trail and a good place for a breather. I described him to the rangers as a “man on a mission” - he looked like he was on a serious hike and going for it. I read later that he was keen to get to the Palms to get pictures of the sheep. Maybe that was it.

The news stories that say “he was last seen at 9am by his wife” are incorrect. Other reporting that says “he was last seen at 9am” is more accurate - that’s about when I saw him. To get where he was on the trail he probably left the trailhead 30 to 40 minutes before then - say 8.30. The drive in from 29 Palms might have been anything from 10 minutes to half an hour depending on where he was staying.

The hike is relatively short - an hour out and an hour back. There’s a climb of about 300 ft to a ridge then a descent of about the same amount to the palms. But the heat makes it a serious hike. When I started at 7.30 it was low 80’s. When I got back at around 9.30, maybe a bit later, it was high 90’s.

There’s no shade on the trail other than the boulder I mentioned, and that’s only early, before the sun gets higher. The terrain is open rock, scrub and a few cacti. The heat bounces back at you. I drank 2 1/2 litres of water on the hike. The park info says take at least a litre for each hour you’re out and that’s about right. The trail is on the northern edge of the park and at a lower altitude than the other hikes in the park. It’s a lot hotter than those trails.

Searching would not have been easy in that heat either, both for people and the dogs. They did what they could and must have pushed themselves very hard. Brave people. Giving their time and all their energy for a stranger they’d never met - a foreigner even. We could do with more of that.

My heart goes out to his friends and family. The event shook me up but that’s nothing compared to what they are going through.

My condolences.

How does he know “he died out there”? This is creeeping me out.

I used to hike alone without my phone as well, that has changed over the past year or two due to the cases I read about here. Still, I find it odd he wouldn’t have taken it with him given it seems he and his wife may have needed to communicated at some point.
Is there even coverage there, and perhaps (if not), that is why he chose to leave phone behind?
“Neil’s” version of events are detailed and ring true. Given the terrain and heat, he is surmising Paul expired, perhaps going off trail to relieve himself.
After a lot of back and forth, I am finally jumping off the fence. I now believe Paul is indeed offtrail, expired.
What formed up this conclusion for me is Neil stating Paul didn’t stop to chat and was a “man on a mission”.
This is 100% consistent with a man rushing to get a last hike in before having to catch a flight.
It sounds like he pushed himself too hard in the heat, or is wedged between rocks, etc.

Finally off the fence.
Now let’s bring Paul home.

How does he know “he died out there”? This is creeeping me out.
Possibly he’s referring to the “junk” people are saying. And that the family is reading that he died out there. Just one way to interpret it. He does seem to have been interviewed after the search on Saturday the 14th. Possible posters were up by then? Jmo

Possibly he’s referring to the “junk” people are saying. And that the family is reading that he died out there. Just one way to interpret it. He does seem to have been interviewed after the search on Saturday the 14th. Possible posters were up by then? Jmo
Maybe he meant it as "I was the last one to see him" and "He was alive" sort of thing?

Good point. Like a checkpoint call to see how close he is to finishing the trail or on the drive back to the motel as she gets the room ready to go and maybe had to checkout and be waiting in lobby. I know when my wife and I separate on a trip we both have cell phones and we make plans to call each other whenever we need to for update notices. There are some hills there and you never know when a signal may go through. I always like to keep mine with me for that reason. Climb a hill and you may get lucky with a signal.

One thing I havent seen mentioned. What about his billfold?

Most men carry a billfold of some sort. We saw something about his ID being found at the car but not many people take out their drivers license from their billfold. So was the billfold missing and presumed to be still on his person?

If so I think it opens up a possibility that he may have been mugged at the end of his hike and if he didnt have much money but had an ATM card then the robbers may have taken him to an ATM so he could withdraw some cash and then they may have killed him and dumped the body.

Just adding another possiblity to this already bizarre mystery.

Last edited:
Sitting on the fence, as well. I agree, prior days' communications need to be checked.

I had forgotten about this case, so I'm headed back to the beginning posts, because: When was Paul last seen by someone other than his wife? Was Paul seen that morning? Any surveillance video of who parked the car?
I wondered the same thing. Who else saw him last?

There was a very long post on this thread by a witness named (screen name?) Neil who claimed to have seen him walking toward the oasis as Neil was returning. It was fairly detailed and if accurate, this would likely be the last person to see him. Also there was debate about the accuracy of this, the truthfulness of the witness and also that the post may have been deleted. All jmo, but I did read it and I tended to take it as the truth. I'll check back to see if I can find that post again.
I see your point, but something about the post seemed off to me.

Good point. I would hope that family / wife / LE would have pulled his ATM / credit card usage early on.

I’ve thought that one item of value that he’d be openly carrying was his camera. It still seems like a camera mugging would be s longshot, though, especially if it involved abducting or killing him.
<RSBM>
One thing I havent seen mentioned. What about his billfold?
Most men carry a billfold of some sort. We saw something about his ID being found at the car but not many people take out their drivers license from their billfold. So was the billfold missing and presumed to be still on his person?

If so I think it opens up a possibility that he may have been mugged at the end of his hike and if he didnt have much money but had an ATM card then the robbers may have taken him to an ATM so he could withdraw some cash and then they may have killed him and dumped the body.

Just adding another possiblity to this already bizarre mystery.

Same here, how could he know he was the last one to see him alive? How can he know he “died up there”? Unless he saw him dead, but he doesn’t say he did. If so I would think calling 911 as soon as possible would have been in order. It’s all a bit strange.
I just don't know. Unless he is the kind of person who would commit a crime, (and I am in no way suggesting or implying this, and I know there are those who commit crimes and then like to gloat or hold themselves as superiorly intelligent), why would he even make this report? If no one knew Paul was out there hiking then no one would have known "Neil" was out there either. Why call attention himself, because I'm sure he has gotten some negative feedback from this...even now it seems. jmo!

KISS. That’s most likely how he came to the conclusion that he’s dead. He took everything at face value. The man went for a hike in high heat. He didn’t come back. He saw him walking with a purpose. He assumes that since the man is missing that he obviously died out there. I don’t think that is an outrageous assumption. Keep it simple stoopid

I just don't know. Unless he is the kind of person who would commit a crime, (and I am in no way suggesting or implying this, and I know there are those who commit crimes and then like to gloat or hold themselves as superiorly intelligent), why would he even make this report? If no one knew Paul was out there hiking then no one would have known "Neil" was out there either. Why call attention himself, because I'm sure he has gotten some negative feedback from this...even now it seems. jmo!
Yeah. I had to reread his post a few times before it really resonated. And it does. I believe him, and believe at this point the red faced guy hiking like a “man on a mission” was indeed Paul.

Keep looking.

Pardon my hiking ignorance, does "trailhead" mean the starting place for the hike? Meaning, he wasn't seen on the trail, but at the point where the trail starts?
Trailhead is where you park your car and get walking. There's often a bulletin board of some kind there on a popular trail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli