Found Deceased CA - Paul Miller, 51, Canadian missing in Joshua Tree National Park, San Bernardino Co., 13 Jul 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I still find it strange he would go for the hike the morning they were supposed to leave. Wouldn't he want to come back and shower before boarding a plane? From the check-out times previously listed, it doesn't seem like he would have a chance to hike and shower. IDK - Maybe he's just not a sweater.

Has LE checked airline flights to see if he went on an earlier flight than scheduled, under an assumed name?

This story has not struck me as being correct since the first time I read it. Something is amiss IMO.

<modsnip: removed reference to fundraising>

My opinions only.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still find it strange he would go for the hike the morning they were supposed to leave. Wouldn't he want to come back and shower before boarding a plane? From the check-out times previously listed, it doesn't seem like he would have a chance to hike and shower. IDK - Maybe he's just not a sweater.
In regards to this, 2 things. 1)It’s possible for them to have requested late checkout so that would have given him an extra couple hours. The flight was from Vegas so I’d be concerned more with driving there, returning rental car, checking in and making it through security on time for the flight. 2) In arid locations like JTNP, the humidity is so low, sweat evaporates quickly. I enjoy hiking in Arizona and Colorado for this reason. Seems like you’re not sweating at all and rarely have to pee. Jmo. I’d still want to take a shower though, as you noted.

Last edited:
This is what I’ve wondered about as well... knowing you have to check out and drive to the airport, I really don’t see taking a last minute two hour hike, or at least would have started much earlier than 9:00.
If it was a road trip and didn’t involve dealing with the airport I could see it as the schedule would possibly be a bit more flexible as far as time constraints. I agree with others here that something seems hinky, imho.
Do we know if LE has checked his cell phone and email records ?

This is what I’ve wondered about as well... knowing you have to check out and drive to the airport, I really don’t see taking a last minute two hour hike, or at least would have started much earlier than 9:00.
If it was a road trip and didn’t involve dealing with the airport I could see it as the schedule would possibly be a bit more flexible as far as time constraints. I agree with others here that something seems hinky, imho.
Do we know if LE has checked his cell phone and email records ?
He supposedly didn’t even carry his cell phone on this hike. So unless he ran off, bought another phone and kept the same number etc, then I don’t think there’s much to check. Jmo

Is it normal that he did not take his cell phone on a short 3 mile round trip hike? (sorry I had the distance wrong earlier) Bc a cellphone would have GPS.

Do we know how old it was or what kind of phone he had?

Would he have thought there was spotty coverage? Evens with spotty coverage, does the GPS still work? And do we even know if the coverage /signal is bad there?

Is it normal that he did not take his cell phone on a short 3 mile round trip hike? (sorry I had the distance wrong earlier) Bc a cellphone would have GPS.

Do we know how old it was or what kind of phone he had?

Would he have thought there was spotty coverage? Evens with spotty coverage, does the GPS still work? And do we even know if the coverage /signal is bad there?
We took a couple week tour around National Parks of the West (Rocky Mountain, Arches, Great Sand Dunes, Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest) this summer. Many times we were up over 10k feet driving or hiking. We always had our phones on us. While they frequently said no service, there were many times we would briefly have it. I think in today's world it is foolish to not have it on you just in case.

I never take my phone walking, running, at the beach or hiking but I get that many people do take it everywhere. Mine is the iPhone Plus which is just too bulky to carry around. We used to live without cell phones. I often miss those days.

I never take my phone walking, running, at the beach or hiking but I get that many people do take it everywhere. Mine is the iPhone Plus which is just too bulky to carry around. We used to live without cell phones. I often miss those days.
Yes, we all have pluses....mine still fits in my pocket. Maybe I am just really large with large pockets??? ;) Actually, I am not, but it did take some getting used to!

He supposedly didn’t even carry his cell phone on this hike. So unless he ran off, bought another phone and kept the same number etc, then I don’t think there’s much to check. Jmo

I was referring to his prior phone and / or email contacts, in a situation such as and if he chose to walk away from his life, could they hold any clues. Well, I suppose its not impossible that he had a burner phone no one knew about. Just to be clear though I am really on the fence as to what I think about this case.

I was referring to his prior phone and / or email contacts, in a situation such as and if he chose to walk away from his life, could they hold any clues. Well, I suppose its not impossible that he had a burner phone no one knew about. Just to be clear though I am really on the fence as to what I think about this case.

Sitting on the fence, as well. I agree, prior days' communications need to be checked.

I had forgotten about this case, so I'm headed back to the beginning posts, because: When was Paul last seen by someone other than his wife? Was Paul seen that morning? Any surveillance video of who parked the car?

I think deception or foul play is a distinct possibility and should be pursued. The investigation should start by asking the wife to voluntarily take a poly. It will save alot of time and rule out that possibility. All amateur opinion and speculation.

I wonder if LE went over the hotel room...

And where would he shower, anyway, if they'd planned to check out before he returned from his hike (which seems likely given the time he went on the hike).

Yes, we all have pluses....mine still fits in my pocket. Maybe I am just really large with large pockets??? ;) Actually, I am not, but it did take some getting used to!
None of my yoga pants have pockets and that’s all I wear when I do those things. Well except the beach ;)

Gotcha. And yes I understand. Me too, on many fences.

Not me...probably sadly, my phone and I are attached at the hip. Smaller iPhone (8) in any case. I do think it gives me a certain comfort level, especially if I am by myself.

Sitting on the fence, as well. I agree, prior days' communications need to be checked.

I had forgotten about this case, so I'm headed back to the beginning posts, because: When was Paul last seen by someone other than his wife? Was Paul seen that morning? Any surveillance video of who parked the car?
There was a very long post on this thread by a witness named (screen name?) Neil who claimed to have seen him walking toward the oasis as Neil was returning. It was fairly detailed and if accurate, this would likely be the last person to see him. Also there was debate about the accuracy of this, the truthfulness of the witness and also that the post may have been deleted. All jmo, but I did read it and I tended to take it as the truth. I'll check back to see if I can find that post again.

I found the post but don't know how to bring it forward without cut and paste...if I'm allowed to do that. If you use search in this forum and type Neil, that post and all the related posts show up. fwiw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli