Found Deceased CA - Paul Miller, 51, Canadian missing in Joshua Tree National Park, San Bernardino Co., 13 Jul 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

They did the hike in April, that trail is well marked and wide open, how are you lost and cannot be found? There are small children at the Oasis so this cannot be by any means a tough trail.

Thanks for posting that video. No wonder Paul had some kind of emergency.

There are hazards shown on that trail video before it even begins! Note the big rock they're sitting on; stand on that thing to take a photo, and all kinds of things can go wrong. You could even get momentarily blinded by the sun and fall off it.
All the rubble under foot, the rocks
And then 49 Palms Oasis is a nightmare of potential tripping, falling, getting turned around.
I took one look at that video and knew there'd be a thousand reasons something could have gone wrong, exacerbated by the extreme heat (these folks went in April, and it has great weather). The trail might look innocent, but that's because you can see where it goes, from our perspective. This is not what a hiker in trouble is seeing, or a hiker experienced enough to know what kinds of things can go wrong.

Yes, I believe this is a Native American coyote design. I wonder if he got it on their trip.

Coyote Tattoos

The Coyote is an animal to be feared, admired, and respected. Across numerous western cultures, the animal is seen as the embodiment of the spirit of Mother Nature and, with the exception of the Buffalo, has become the quintessential image of the Wild West.

The word 'coyote' is a Mexican reboot of the Aztec word, 'coyotl', which means "trickster". In many Mesoamerican(like the Mayans and Aztecs) and Native American cultures, the Coyote is seen as the ultimate trickster that brings many gifts to mankind or steals much needed resources from unsuspecting deities and mortals. According to the various myths, he is the "Jack of all Trades", bringing music and creativity to some tribes, teaching others the secrets of medicine, and showing others how to create fire. The Coyote is an animal of infinite wisdom, intellect, and knowledge, and it isn't uncommon to find Native American stories in which he plays the role a wise counsellor and in others, he is the cunning deceiver. Native American shamans and storytellers may have been inspired by observing the pack on the hunt. Coyotes are known as exceptional hunters and usually display an enhanced ability to plan, communicate, and coordinate the movements of the pack, all in the aim of catching their prey.
Coyote Tattoo Meanings | iTattooDesigns.com

Coyote tattoos - what do they mean? Coyote Tattoo Designs & Symbols - Coyote tattoo meanings

Designs similar to Paul’s:
23+ Amazing Coyote Tattoo Designs

Thanks for the all the info! It looks Aztec to me.

Deeper meaning of the tattoo aside, just the fact that he got one at that stage in life (assuming he did it recently -- sounds like it's his first/only) could signify something. I won't say mid-life crisis, but maybe he was changing/exploring new sides of himself.

I think the totem pole style symbols are Native American from the Pacific Northwest. Never seen it combined with a coyote before, as that's generally a Southwest symbol (although coyotes themselves are all over both regions).
You could very well be right, but check out some of the Aztec coyote tatts as well. Very similar.

You have to admit it's a strange tattoo for a Canadan. It has to mean something. I guess all tattoos having a meaning and a story. His wife are a friend is the only one that can give us that answer since he god knows where.

Attachments

• 1532443053.8929_ugc_content.jpeg
    1532443053.8929_ugc_content.jpeg
    56.2 KB · Views: 26
“Coyote Tattoo Meanings - As a trickster and on occasion, reluctant hero, the coyote is found in the mythology of almost all the different tribes found throughout the Americas. Rude, interfering, and restless, he is a nevertheless a powerful totem, and the symbol of survival, adaptability and health.”
Did he get this recently? As a souvenir so to speak, of their Southwest US vacation.

Last edited:
“Coyote Tattoo Meanings - As a trickster and on occasion, reluctant hero, the coyote is found in the mythology of almost all the different tribes found throughout the Americas. Rude, interfering, and restless, he is a nevertheless a powerful totem, and the symbol of survival, adaptability and health.” Did he get this recently? As a souvenir so to speak, of their Southwest US vacation.
Know one seems to know about it.

I think the totem pole style symbols are Native American from the Pacific Northwest. Never seen it combined with a coyote before, as that's generally a Southwest symbol (although coyotes themselves are all over both regions).

I agree - this looks like Pacific NW First Nation / Native Art, right down to the colors and the stylized symbols. Looks like a wolf, which would be more frequently referenced than coyotes in S’Klallam and PNW artwork.

You have to admit it's a strange tattoo for a Canadan.

RSBM

Ha, strange Canadians indeed!

The Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau, has one very similar, of a raven.
Skin-deep: The awkwardness of Justin Trudeau's Haida tattoo - Macleans.ca

Coyote's are everywhere in urban/ suburban Canada, we all watched Coyote and Roadrunner as kids, Haida art style is cool, everybody is getting tattoos to celebrate things like their 50th birthday.

Sometimes a tattoo is just a tattoo.

Up to your taste. But 5'5 he looks like he a a few extra pounds on him. He's 51 not 21.
He was also described as a fairly experienced hiker. Why focus on his weight when his fitness as a hiker is what's relevant?

Also won't even ask why the word sloppy was used when what you meant (apparently) was overweight.

I have just started reading about Paul and am most of the way through this thread (about page 50). As an avid hiker myself, I just wanted to address some questions people have had:

1) Paul might have gone off trail to use the restroom as outlined by Leave No Trace, which most any avid hiker would know about and (hopefully) abide. Being real here, he may have not just had to pee, you know what I mean? It happens. And you should not do that on/right by the trail, regardless if anyone is in sight. Maybe he then tripped/fell, etc.

2) Although you are not supposed to go off trail to chase wildlife, etc., he might have had he seen the sheep he so wanted to photograph.

3) I don't find it weird at all to return to the same park three days in a row or even the same trail (though it doesn't appear he did Fortynine Palms before). Most of my vacations are hiking/NP trips and we spend multiple days in one park. When in the Smoky Mountains, I so wanted a clear pic from the top of Clingman's Dome, but it kept getting fogged in so I hiked up there three times in one trip until I got the shot. My Clingman's Dome may have been Paul's sheep. I also don't find it weird to try and fit in one last hike before departure.

4) While missing persons and fatal accidents in national parks are definitely tragic, IMO installing security cameras on protected public land on a trail when most people go to trails to get away from tech and be out in nature is not a feasible solution.

5) To look at me, I look overweight but have successfully climbed mountains and miles and miles of trails without issue. I don't think physique means everything.

Having said ALL that, I don't know what my thoughts are about Paul. Someone earlier mentioned people getting turned around after getting to the oasis and ending up behind a grocery store on a false trail? Has that trail been thoroughly searched? I also agree with thoroughly searching the road around the parking lot. Are there other trails he could have walked to easily from the lot? I have never been to Joshua Tree and am not familiar with it.

I hope that Paul is found.

According to the official NPS site for Joshua Tree, they state this hike should take 2-3 hours: Hiking - Joshua Tree National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

They also list it as a moderate hike. While obviously an absolute perfect time is impossible, I usually find most of their trail descriptions/ratings/time estimates fairly good. Now the hiker who claims to have seen him on the trail said he was moving pretty fast. So maybe he could have finished it closer to the two hour estimation (also I would guess most hikers spend some time hanging out at the oasis, but maybe if on a time crunch, he would have arrived and immediately turned around, especially if no sheep?)

Also, if you go to the Fortynine Palms Oasis Trail on Google Maps street and look at the parking lot, I'm curious what is on the other side of the lot. Is it a drop off? I can't tell. Has that area been searched? (I posted a screenshot I took of the area below).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-09-02 at 11.56.49 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-02 at 11.56.49 AM.png
    444.9 KB · Views: 37
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics