Found Deceased CA - Paul Miller, 51, Canadian missing in Joshua Tree Natl Park, San Bernardino Co., 13 Jul 2018 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
JTNP's border straddles the counties of San Bernardino & Riverside...

There are 135 people listed as missing in SB county & 59 people listed as missing in Riverside county.

NamUs

Can anyone find one person listed here as missing from JTNP???
Bill Ewasco who went missing years ago in JTNP is not in NamUs either. Strange.

According to the official Joshua Tree NPS Twitter account, there was a major storm recently that resulted in a lot of damage and road closures. Joshua Tree NPS (@JoshuaTreeNPS) | Twitter

Depending on where Paul is, this could make it even more difficult to find him. If the storm was bad enough to move a massive boulder into the road and completely cover roads with sand, it could also have covered up remains.

I was camping in JTNP this weekend and caught in a flash flood in our campground (Jumbo Rocks). Entire campsites, tents, coolers, chairs etc were washed down the way.

It was an amazing, frightening and exhilarating storm all at one time. We went into the town of Joshua Tree on Saturday to wash/dry clothing and they were moving mud out of the 62 highway with piles over 6 feet tall.

Thought a lot about Paul this weekend, planned a trip to 49 Oasis trailhead on Saturday to just see the area myself first hand, but didn't make it due to the flooding.

I understand the draw of JTNP it's magical. Even after the storm, my group of 12 stuck it out in tents for Saturday night and the payoff was amazing. If you can ever go there you must. Stunning scenery and stars.

Also, I did not see ONE missing poster in town about Paul. But I did see several other missing posters.

I hope Paul is found soon.

there are other possibilities than (1) Paul went off trail or had a medical or heat related injury and will be found, or (2) that he intentionally disappeared himself. (I must have missed whatever transpired here but I am not making any suggestions that Paul was involved with another partner. There are STILL more possible scenarios.)

I hope he is found soon. I imagine that those who know and love him are dealing with tremendous pain at Paul's being missing, and I am not sure that pain will lessen if they do find him, but I know that closure is important for some people and I hope those folks get it soon. Three months is a long time in this situation.

I was camping in JTNP this weekend and caught in a flash flood in our campground (Jumbo Rocks). Entire campsites, tents, coolers, chairs etc were washed down the way.

It was an amazing, frightening and exhilarating storm all at one time. We went into the town of Joshua Tree on Saturday to wash/dry clothing and they were moving mud out of the 62 highway with piles over 6 feet tall.

Thought a lot about Paul this weekend, planned a trip to 49 Oasis trailhead on Saturday to just see the area myself first hand, but didn't make it due to the flooding.

I understand the draw of JTNP it's magical. Even after the storm, my group of 12 stuck it out in tents for Saturday night and the payoff was amazing. If you can ever go there you must. Stunning scenery and stars.

Also, I did not see ONE missing poster in town about Paul. But I did see several other missing posters.

I hope Paul is found soon.
Wow! Sounds like a scary experience. Glad you and your group are all ok. Too bad you didn't get a chance to explore the trail where Paul supposedly went hiking.

I agree with you about that part of the country too. I've been all around JTNP but never in it. One of these days I'll get back there and actually go into the park, maybe do some hiking as well. The stars in those higher altitude places are magical for sure. Thanks for your post.

And I hope he is found soon too. His wife's Facebook posts are so sad.

Last edited:
This is a morbid question, but do searchers ever bring in vultures/birds of prey to help search?
No, it’s a myth that vultures or buzzards constantly circle dead and dying things. If you see vultures circling way up high in the sky, nine times out of ten they haven’t found anything yet - they are “just looking”. It means they have found a nice strong thermal of warm air rising from the Earth, using that thermal to cover a larger area with less physical effort. Thermal riding requires precise body positioning to stay in the sweet spots that let vultures and all other raptors soar without flapping—a debilitating energy drain. There may be some circling movements based on the air movement but it's not a deliberate circle because something dying or dead is below.

Once a potential meal is spotted, they don’t waste time circling, they go down immediately to investigate lest a ground-based scavenger gets their meal first.

No, it’s a myth that vultures or buzzards constantly circle dead and dying things. If you see vultures circling way up high in the sky, nine times out of ten they haven’t found anything yet - they are “just looking”. It means they have found a nice strong thermal of warm air rising from the Earth, using that thermal to cover a larger area with less physical effort. Thermal riding requires precise body positioning to stay in the sweet spots that let vultures and all other raptors soar without flapping—a debilitating energy drain. There may be some circling movements based on the air movement but it's not a deliberate circle because something dying or dead is below.

Once a potential meal is spotted, they don’t waste time circling, they go down immediately to investigate lest a ground-based scavenger gets their meal first.

Where I live in FL, the turkey vultures (yes, I know they are ugly birds) are more commonly seen on roadsides holding their breakfast/lunch/supper meetings. I have seen them sit on poles, surveying the area or food, never circling in the air as a group though.

I will say this much about these turkey vultures: they are very well fed birds. Sometimes I wonder how they can even get off the ground, LOL

Out of curiosity, been trying to find a list of people missing in JTNP FWIW

****IF anyone finds A LIST of missing at JTNP please share it

Missing Persons in the National Parks (U.S. National Park Service)

Article Search (U.S. National Park Service)

This doesn't really help but when Paul's wife did the radio interview a couple months ago, she said historically there were three people who had gone missing in the park that had never been found. I don't know the source of her information, and she didn't name them but I expect one was Bill E.

From Quora, informative post by E.P, scroll down to second answer, also includes several photos.
Why do so many people go missing in Joshua Tree ?
https://www.quora.com/Why-do-so-many-people-go-missing-in-Joshua-Tree

From the link:

"It is very large, 1,200 the National park is square miles, larger than the state of Rhodes Island, but the surrounding desert is much bigger than that."

Rhode Island is the smallest state so that certainly puts things into perspective.

bumping. So many eyes on the JC case right now - maybe they will wander this way and offer some fresh insight and ideas. Not allowed to mention other threads on that thread though so this bump will have to suffice.

bumping. So many eyes on the JC case right now - maybe they will wander this way and offer some fresh insight and ideas. Not allowed to mention other threads on that thread though so this bump will have to suffice.
It's true. We do get wrapped up in the current mystery on Websleuths, but I haven't forgotten this case. I still check every day on this one and a few other missing hikers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme