Found Deceased CA - Paul Miller, 51, Canadian missing in Joshua Tree Natl Park, San Bernardino Co., 13 Jul 2018 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It was three months ago that Paul vanished.

Seems the family has gone radio silent. Hope we get some sort of update, even just to say they are still looking for him.
The official Find Paul Miller FB page just posted they miss him (and his laughter) and will be heading down soon to look for him.

Find Paul Miller

This family is local to me but I don't know them personally. I do have mutual friends. He works for a local company and it doesn't appear that travel to Mexico or anywhere else would be part of his job description. Spanish is not widely spoken in Guelph, outside of people of Spanish decent. I think it was unlikely he had anyone waiting for him in Mexico. Further to that, they live in a nice home in a nice area, still have their original mortgage (public record) on the property and based on the way our local real estate market has increased owner the last few years will have quite a bit of equity. If they/he were in any financial trouble they would have had an easy way out. Also if he were the type of person to abandon his wife and family on their anniversary trip imo he would have likely cashed in on some of that equity before doing so. If he wanted to leave his wife he had no reason to go to such elaborate lengths to do so. His kids are both over 18 so he'd have no child support obligations. IMO I think think this was just likely some sort of unfortunate accident and he will (hopefully) be eventually found in the park.

He wouldn't have even been reported missing (YET) in that time and he could have (ALREADY) been gonzo....what an EYE-OPENER.

Didn't he go missing from 49 Palms Oasis? Not that it matters, but that is in a totally different part of the park and would take a bit longer.

Thanks for pointing that out dulcinea, right you are! My bad...I am a tarabull multi-tasker.

3hrs 25mins driving to Mexicali, thru the park
Google Maps

3 hrs 4mins driving around the park *there is a road closed currently tho, going the shorter route -- not sure if there was a detour back in July, it looks like it might be construction...fwiw
Google Maps

ETA: I don't think Paul is in Mexico, just to be clear. That is just my 1cent.
ETA2: The reason I don't think he is in MX is because his wife says she was planning to go with him to JT but changed her mind that morning. I guess this makes it my 2cents.

Last edited:
<modsnip: quoted post was removed>

When (imo) a person is missing for as long as Paul has been and there has been absolutely no trace of him anywhere near where he hiked (so far) and given the amount of time spent searching and the quickness, speculation on all sorts of scenarios sort of takes over throughout the thread. It becomes more and more mysterious, in a sense. I am hopeful, as I'm sure that others on WS are as well, that he will be found and his family will finally have some answers. I believe that he is in the park and that whatever happened took him off trail and out or sight/reach. I don't know him, but I find it tough to believe he would run away from his wife and life on an anniversary trip in a foreign country (to go to another foreign country) to start a new life for whatever reason. Your post seems to back up the point that he had no reason and that he could have done so in a less extreme way if that's what he wanted. No offense to those who feel differently than I do, but mysteries and theories do have a tendency to get away from us all. jmo

Last edited by a moderator:
This family is local to me but I don't know them personally. I do have mutual friends. He works for a local company and it doesn't appear that travel to Mexico or anywhere else would be part of his job description. Spanish is not widely spoken in Guelph, outside of people of Spanish decent. I think it was unlikely he had anyone waiting for him in Mexico. Further to that, they live in a nice home in a nice area, still have their original mortgage (public record) on the property and based on the way our local real estate market has increased owner the last few years will have quite a bit of equity. If they/he were in any financial trouble they would have had an easy way out. Also if he were the type of person to abandon his wife and family on their anniversary trip imo he would have likely cashed in on some of that equity before doing so. If he wanted to leave his wife he had no reason to go to such elaborate lengths to do so. His kids are both over 18 so he'd have no child support obligations. IMO I think think this was just likely some sort of unfortunate accident and he will (hopefully) be eventually found in the park.
He had been hiking in Mexico at some point before he vanished. Only time will tell. If he is one day found died are alive. It's all a mystery till then.

<modsnip: quoted post was removed>

Locally the family has received a lot of support from what I can tell. Guelph is a pretty close knit community and even though I think we are just over 100k population. I wasn't born here but I've lived here for 20 years now and sometimes it seems like everyone knows everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
This post lands at random.

There is nothing at all to indicate that the missing person was having an affair. Such speculation is not victim friendly and not based on any kown fact. Posts discussing such speculation have been removed.

According to the official Joshua Tree NPS Twitter account, there was a major storm recently that resulted in a lot of damage and road closures. Joshua Tree NPS (@JoshuaTreeNPS) | Twitter

Depending on where Paul is, this could make it even more difficult to find him. If the storm was bad enough to move a massive boulder into the road and completely cover roads with sand, it could also have covered up remains.

Thanks for pointing that out dulcinea, right you are! My bad...I am a tarabull multi-tasker.

3hrs 25mins driving to Mexicali, thru the park
Google Maps

3 hrs 4mins driving around the park *there is a road closed currently tho, going the shorter route -- not sure if there was a detour back in July, it looks like it might be construction...fwiw
Google Maps

ETA: I don't think Paul is in Mexico, just to be clear. That is just my 1cent.
ETA2: The reason I don't think he is in MX is because his wife says she was planning to go with him to JT but changed her mind that morning. I guess this makes it my 2cents.

No worries! I just noticed immediately because I am very familiar with the park. :) I also do not think he is in Mexico. I firmly believe he passed away in the park, sadly. I would love to be wrong.

JTNP's border straddles the counties of San Bernardino & Riverside...

There are 135 people listed as missing in SB county & 59 people listed as missing in Riverside county.

NamUs

Can anyone find one person listed here as missing from JTNP???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro