Found Deceased CA - Paul Miller, 51, Canadian missing in Joshua Tree Natl Park, San Bernardino Co., 13 Jul 2018 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that missing is missing and that something was hurting if he chose to leave, but I cannot imagine the pain of loved ones. I still dont know what I think happened.
I simply cannot get on board with his leaving voluntarily. His wife was supposed to hike with him that morning and only changed her mind at the last minute. He would have no time to plan a runaway or even a suicide. It would have had to be very spontaneous. jmo

Just saying...

suicide can be ultra spontaneous.

people don't always PLAN on doing it.

THEY JUST DO IT.

Or just waiting for the right window of opportunity, for that or to walk away. Maybe he knew his wife wouldn’t want to go given the packing and checking out. That would be me, I need time to get everything together and not feel rushed, and wouldn’t want to wait til the last minute, IYKWIM. I know it’s just me, but could it be typical of the average female as well ? Just thinking...

Probably had a late check out.

She expected him back at checkout which was 11am According to MSM:

"Paul Miller, an avid outdoorsman and experienced hiker, was to be back at their hotel in Twentynine Palms by checkout time at 11 a.m. When he didn’t return, Stephanie Miller grew concerned, but decided to give him another hour."

Wife of missing hiker from Canada describes 'hell' each day brings since Paul Miller disappeared at Joshua Tree

However, I am not sure if that was a direct quote from the wife or not. I have noticed that several article state she reported him missing at noon when he was overdue. It is possible she expected him back at 11am, but wasn't checking out of the hotel at that time.

Have we ever discovered when his flight out of Vegas was due to depart?

Where are you Paul?

Mostly from all the missing hiker threads I have read here, I think he got lost in the park and they will find him there eventually. JMO.

I've been to JTNP about a half a dozen times over the last 2 years. I've camped there three times. Directly outside of the park there is an observatory called "Sky's the Limit". It is on the north side of JTNP not that far from the 49 Oasis Trailhead, 10 miles driving, perhaps 8 miles as the crow flies. We have been to this observatory quite a few times. As you drive toward the exit of the park you can see a bit of a glow from the city lights, as you reach the exit you can actually see the lights of the city. From the Observatory the city lights are clearly visable. The Observatory is set back further from the city than the Oasis trail. Also, there appears to be at least two different vantage points along the trail that actually allow you views of the city and what I would expect would be a nice bright view of the city lights (even though the city uses light dampening technology to combat light pollution).

I'm spit-balling here, but I really think if he got off trail, got lost, stopped to rest in the heat, he could at night see the glow of the city lights if not the lights themselves from the Oasis area, and as an experienced outdoorsman he could probably make it to the Stater Brothers shopping complex, which is also a decent size cluster of homes bounded on each end by a hotel, just due north and east of the trail.

If he fell/was injured/heat related issues that morning, I would expect he wouldn't be far off the trail. Temperature that day peaked at around 96 degrees (according to Accuweather). How far could he make it off the trail realistically if he was experiencing a medical issue?

I want to believe he's out there, and I'm leaning toward that direction, but he's a lot closer to civilization than Orbeso and Nguyen who were found dead in JTNP after disappearing around the same time of year in 2017.

This case haunts me. JTNP is a magical place.

There are possibilities other than injury/heat exhaustion/getting lost, or suicide here but nothing has been reported that might provide leads in a different direction. I don't have a solid theory at this point, but I think is important to keep an open mind and let the facts (ALL FACTS about this area, not just the alleged details of Paul's plan for that day) as we know them tell as much of the story as possible.

There are possibilities other than injury/heat exhaustion/getting lost, or suicide here but nothing has been reported that might provide leads in a different direction. I don't have a solid theory at this point, but I think is important to keep an open mind and let the facts (ALL FACTS about this area, not just the alleged details of Paul's plan for that day) as we know them tell as much of the story as possible.

Exactly, and that is what is so frustrating about this case.

Where are you Paul????

I've been to JTNP about a half a dozen times over the last 2 years. I've camped there three times. Directly outside of the park there is an observatory called "Sky's the Limit". It is on the north side of JTNP not that far from the 49 Oasis Trailhead, 10 miles driving, perhaps 8 miles as the crow flies. We have been to this observatory quite a few times. As you drive toward the exit of the park you can see a bit of a glow from the city lights, as you reach the exit you can actually see the lights of the city. From the Observatory the city lights are clearly visable. The Observatory is set back further from the city than the Oasis trail. Also, there appears to be at least two different vantage points along the trail that actually allow you views of the city and what I would expect would be a nice bright view of the city lights (even though the city uses light dampening technology to combat light pollution).

I'm spit-balling here, but I really think if he got off trail, got lost, stopped to rest in the heat, he could at night see the glow of the city lights if not the lights themselves from the Oasis area, and as an experienced outdoorsman he could probably make it to the Stater Brothers shopping complex, which is also a decent size cluster of homes bounded on each end by a hotel, just due north and east of the trail.

If he fell/was injured/heat related issues that morning, I would expect he wouldn't be far off the trail. Temperature that day peaked at around 96 degrees (according to Accuweather). How far could he make it off the trail realistically if he was experiencing a medical issue?

I want to believe he's out there, and I'm leaning toward that direction, but he's a lot closer to civilization than Orbeso and Nguyen who were found dead in JTNP after disappearing around the same time of year in 2017.

This case haunts me. JTNP is a magical place.
I don’t believe he would have survived until nightfall or conscious for more than a couple of hours after his due time. He wasn’t dressed for sun exposure. It was a sunny day and 120 degrees. He had on shorts and a T-shirt, exposing his legs and arms to extreme sunburn even in the scant time when he was out there. And no, sunscreen wouldn’t have helped. Furthermore, cotton T shirts are penetrated by UV rays: zero protection; you can get terrible sunburn through a T-shirt.
We’re talking serious burns over most of his body, potentially in an hour after he set out.

On top of that, his clothes were black. In 120 degree heat.

Plus, he had very limited quantities of water (max 3 liters, and maybe just 2] maybe enough for an hour’s walk in those conditions.

I don’t believe he would have survived until nightfall or conscious for more than a couple of hours after his due time. He wasn’t dressed for sun exposure. It was a sunny day and 120 degrees. He had on shorts and a T-shirt, exposing his legs and arms to extreme sunburn even in the scant time when he was out there. And no, sunscreen wouldn’t have helped. Furthermore, cotton T shirts are penetrated by UV rays: zero protection; you can get terrible sunburn through a T-shirt.
We’re talking serious burns over most of his body, potentially in an hour after he set out.

On top of that, his clothes were black. In 120 degree heat.

Plus, he had very limited quantities of water (max 3 liters, and maybe just 2] maybe enough for an hour’s walk in those conditions.

This is why I can't believe he hasn't been found yet. How far from the trail could he have gotten in those conditions?? A cadaver dog would have found him by now.

Very odd.

To Paul's family & friends, IF you happen to be reading here...

Paul has still NOT been entered into the database @NamUs: Dashboard

Regardless, of where he is now BUT especially IF Paul is not in the park, it would prove most helpful to have his information added under the Missing Person section.

Justin Case.
(everyone knows Justin...)

This is why I can't believe he hasn't been found yet. How far from the trail could he have gotten in those conditions?? A cadaver dog would have found him by now.

Very odd.
IMO, not necessarily. Take a look at the posts upthread of the video's of JTNP; it's vast.
I always encourage people to participate in a search that has a call for volunteers. It helps us understand how very difficult it is to find someone outdoors, even with a grid search.

Finally, we already have examples of hikers in JTNP not being found immediately. Perhaps there is something unique to the terrain that makes it especially hard for the dogs to pick up scent, and remains to be seen.

I maintain my hypothesis that he is in between rocks, or in a ravine yet to be found. In November, the average temperature drops to 69F during the day which will provide better search conditions. This month, the average is still 82F.

Amateur opinion and speculation

IMO, not necessarily. Take a look at the posts upthread of the video's of JTNP; it's vast.
I always encourage people to participate in a search that has a call for volunteers. It helps us understand how very difficult it is to find someone outdoors, even with a grid search.

Finally, we already have examples of hikers in JTNP not being found immediately. Perhaps there is something unique to the terrain that makes it especially hard for the dogs to pick up scent, and remains to be seen.

I maintain my hypothesis that he is in between rocks, or in a ravine yet to be found. In November, the average temperature drops to 69F during the day which will provide better search conditions. This month, the average is still 82F.

Amateur opinion and speculation

I agree with you that the park is vast. I'm a frequent visitor to JTNP and actually am on my way there this afternoon to camp near the middle of the park.

However see my post above. If he managed to survive the day off trail (being an experience outdoorsman) he was very, very close to civilization, glow from the city and the lights themselves should have guided him to safety. If, as suggested above, he was in serious trouble early on, I can't imagine he would have made it far off the trail in he 100+ degree heat given the clothing he was wearing.

I'll probably be proven wrong, but there is a part of me that thinks he's not there anymore.

MOO

Apologizing in advance, I have lost track of what has been posted in the past, search tells me the link is not in this thread (#2) ...regardless this is a 'new read' for me - can't hurt to post again, while we wait.

Tragically Lost in Joshua Tree’s Wild Interior

(ETA: Snipped...
...Eight years after he disappeared, Bill Ewasko is still missing. While the official search lasted less than two weeks, unofficially it never ended. A loose group of sleuths with no personal connection to the Ewasko family — backcountry hikers, outdoors enthusiasts, online obsessives — has joined the hunt, refusing to give up on a man they never knew. As it happens, we live in something of a golden age for amateur investigations. Armchair detectives have at their disposal an array of internet resources, like WebSleuths, a forum with more than 140,000 registered users dedicated to examining unsolved crimes, including missing-persons reports.

Where are you Paul???

Last edited:
Apologizing in advance, I have lost track of what has been posted in the past, search tells me the link is not in this thread (#2) ...regardless this is a 'new read' for me - can't hurt to post again, while we wait.

Tragically Lost in Joshua Tree’s Wild Interior

(ETA: Snipped...
...Eight years after he disappeared, Bill Ewasko is still missing. While the official search lasted less than two weeks, unofficially it never ended. A loose group of sleuths with no personal connection to the Ewasko family — backcountry hikers, outdoors enthusiasts, online obsessives — has joined the hunt, refusing to give up on a man they never knew. As it happens, we live in something of a golden age for amateur investigations. Armchair detectives have at their disposal an array of internet resources, like WebSleuths, a forum with more than 140,000 registered users dedicated to examining unsolved crimes, including missing-persons reports.

Where are you Paul???
Excellent article. Thank you for posting.
Best said, “If you haven’t found them, then they’re someplace you haven’t looked yet.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme