Found Deceased CA - Paul Miller, 51, Canadian missing in Joshua Tree Natl Park, San Bernardino Co., 13 Jul 2018 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's something to think about perhaps?
We know that Paul wanted to photograph the Big Horn Sheep. After reading up on them I can understand why - amazing creatures.

There are three herds of Big Horn Sheep in JTNP, totally approx. 300 sheep.
These sheep can be found in 3 locations in the park:
"Wonderland of Rocks" - 2 hr. hike from the trailhead where Paul started
"Eagle Mountain" - 18 hr. hike from trailhead
"Little San Bernardino Mountains" - 9 hr. hike from trailhead

Apparently most sheep are spotted at "Wonderland of Rocks" - *AND THAT IS EXACTLY WHERE I BELIEVE PAUL WAS HEADED.*

Yes, a two hour to and from would have put Paul way past his flight time. Perhaps he figured some of the flock might be seen along his trail to the destination?

I truly believe this is how he will be found.

How long a hike from the trailhead of Fortynine Palms Oasis Trail to Wonderland of Rocks?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-12-28 at 6.35.38 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-28 at 6.35.38 AM.png
    867.5 KB · Views: 24
Here's something to think about perhaps?
We know that Paul wanted to photograph the Big Horn Sheep. After reading up on them I can understand why - amazing creatures.

There are three herds of Big Horn Sheep in JTNP, totally approx. 300 sheep.
These sheep can be found in 3 locations in the park:
"Wonderland of Rocks" - 2 hr. hike from the trailhead where Paul started
"Eagle Mountain" - 18 hr. hike from trailhead
"Little San Bernardino Mountains" - 9 hr. hike from trailhead

Apparently most sheep are spotted at "Wonderland of Rocks" - *AND THAT IS EXACTLY WHERE I BELIEVE PAUL WAS HEADED.*

Yes, a two hour to and from would have put Paul way past his flight time. Perhaps he figured some of the flock might be seen along his trail to the destination?

I truly believe this is how he will be found.

How long a hike from the trailhead of Fortynine Palms Oasis Trail to Wonderland of Rocks?
I've read that the sheep are often found in the 49 Palms oasis area where he said he was headed as well. But maybe not as good an option as the other? Possibly he headed in that direction instead of the oasis? Or after the first hike?

Does the trail to WOR starts in the same parking area as the 49 Palms oasis he was believed to be headed to? His car was found in that parking area. And there is that flight he had to catch, telling his wife he would be back in a couple hours. Impulsive decision on his part maybe, to only go a short distance...maybe even after completing the Oasis trail. The time factor just bugs me though. He didn't have any extra time. jmo

Good thoughts for sure- I wonder if that direction was ever searched? Even by his family who did their own searching a couple months ago.

Last edited:
From what I can tell from the maps and from Google directions, it appears the Twentynine Palms trailhead would be the closest (?) starting point to get to the Wonderland of Rocks. Since I am not familiar with the park, I can stand corrected tho.

From what I can tell from the maps and from Google directions, it appears the Twentynine Palms trailhead would be the closest (?) starting point to get to the Wonderland of Rocks. Since I am not familiar with the park, I can stand corrected tho.
I have a friend who is there now. I sent her a text to see if she is hiking near those trails, and if there are posters still up. Will let you know if I find out anything newsworthy.

ETA I also suggested she keep her eyes peeled. Ya never know.

I have a friend who is there now. I sent her a text to see if she is hiking near those trails, and if there are posters still up. Will let you know if I find out anything newsworthy.

ETA I also suggested she keep her eyes peeled. Ya never know.
That's great. At the risk of sounding like a pesky repeating sound byte, please have her look/probe with a stick between large boulders....up high. Places where Paul would have climbed to get a better shot of a perched Big Horn.
More about the sheep:
Desert Bighorn Sheep - Joshua Tree National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

Here is some additional perspective. I've marked "Wonderland of Rocks" with a yellow star. As noted in the article from JTNP above, this is where most Big Horn are seen by visitors:

Google Maps

In other words, follow the sheep... and you will find Paul.

Attachments

• Wonderland of rocks.png
    Wonderland of rocks.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 41
That's great. At the risk of sounding like a pesky repeating sound byte, please have her look/probe with a stick between large boulders....up high. Places where Paul would have climbed to get a better shot of a perched Big Horn.
More about the sheep:
Desert Bighorn Sheep - Joshua Tree National Park (U.S. National Park Service)
She answered me and has only done a Jeep tour so far. She may hike if she can find a hiking buddy. She just read how many people go missing in National Parks and in Joshua. Lol. Scared her.

According to Google maps the only route from 49 Palms Oasis to WOR is along the roadway, Indian Cove Road, is that right or is there another route it’s not showing?
Regardless of the route he took if he had decided to do that it would have to have been with the full knowledge he was not going to make it back in time to leave for his flight..... :sigh: more questions without answers.

According to Google maps the only route from 49 Palms Oasis to WOR is along the roadway, Indian Cove Road, is that right or is there another route it’s not showing?
Regardless of the route he took if he had decided to do that it would have to have been with the full knowledge he was not going to make it back in time to leave for his flight..... :sigh: more questions without answers.
You're right that Google maps only shows the Indian Cove route. Sadly, Paul could have driven that in 17 minutes, then hiked a bit more in to where Wonderworld of Rocks is. However, there may be a beeline trail from the 49 Palms trailhead to the WOR; I don't know. I need some locals to help me out on this one.
Google Maps

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-12-28 at 11.23.43 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-28 at 11.23.43 AM.png
    325.4 KB · Views: 5
However, there may be a beeline trail from the 49 Palms trailhead to the WOR;
Google Maps

Even without an established or local trail to the Wonderland of Rocks area, if Paul was searching for sheep, he may not have descended into 49 Palms Canyon to the Oasis and instead headed off-trail south along the canyon rim hoping to catch sight of sheep from on high, or possibly hiked up along a ridge heading west toward the WOR area, thinking it would be easy to find his way back east to the canyon and his trail when he had to head back due to time constraints.

https://www.nps.gov/jotr/planyourvisit/upload/49siteMap.pdf

49 Palms Oasis Trail info. In and out trail. Rated moderately strenuous.

The trail user trip reports on a review site seem to range from easy enough to be used for trail running (rather than just hiking) to strenuous, and round-trip times from an hour to more than two hours. Seems like from his wife's description of Paul that he would have been a stronger hiker and may have thought he had some extra time to explore around the canyon before heading back, if he made it to the Oasis and didn't branch off the trail earlier.

The trail user trip reports on a review site seem to range from easy enough to be used for trail running (rather than just hiking) to strenuous, and round-trip times from an hour to more than two hours. Seems like from his wife's description of Paul that he would have been a stronger hiker and may have thought he had some extra time to explore around the canyon before heading back, if he made it to the Oasis and didn't branch off the trail earlier.
I'm betting he probably did do some exploring and became lost..and overheated. Remember it's reported he was dressed in dark clothing and did not have skin covered to protect from sunburn. I just don't see any way for him to get from 49 Palms Oasis to Wonderland of Rocks without backtracking and going all the way around as shown on @rosesfromangels map. When you switch the map to satellite view, there doesn't seem to be any connection between the 2 areas. Lots and lots of ruggedness...hot weather and a time limit. The mystery continues.

I can't speak to Paul's mindset, but it would be highly unusual to start at 49 palms and try to hike to wonderland of rocks, an area that is fairly easily accessible from the main park road and much farther from this trailhead than anyone would hike in the summer (and uphill, the main park road is at a higher elevation than the twon of 29 palms).

Oases in general are a great spot to find big horn sheep (especially in the early morning hours) so it makes sense that he would be hoping to see them at 49 palms. I absolutely agree that after reaching the oasis, he may have attempted to get on a ridge that seemed closer/easier than it was in hopes of better views to spot a big horn and that is where things went wrong. I hope more searchers are able to explore the area around that oasis further this spring. It is unfortunately very difficult terrain to thoroughly search.

I can't speak to Paul's mindset, but it would be highly unusual to start at 49 palms and try to hike to wonderland of rocks, an area that is fairly easily accessible from the main park road and much farther from this trailhead than anyone would hike in the summer (and uphill, the main park road is at a higher elevation than the twon of 29 palms).

Oases in general are a great spot to find big horn sheep (especially in the early morning hours) so it makes sense that he would be hoping to see them at 49 palms. I absolutely agree that after reaching the oasis, he may have attempted to get on a ridge that seemed closer/easier than it was in hopes of better views to spot a big horn and that is where things went wrong. I hope more searchers are able to explore the area around that oasis further this spring. It is unfortunately very difficult terrain to thoroughly search.
Thank you for this perspective. Since I don't know the park at all, I appreciate you calibrating this for me.

Why wait until spring for more searches? It's only in the low 60's in December - perfect for lengthy searching. ?

Here is some additional perspective. I've marked "Wonderland of Rocks" with a yellow star. As noted in the article from JTNP above, this is where most Big Horn are seen by visitors:

Google Maps

In other words, follow the sheep... and you will find Paul.
He would have died getting there. He wasn’t dressed for the sun exposure. Same with the oasis hike; he could easily have become so burned, he crawled under a rock, desperate for shade.
See upthread about what he was wearing and how inappropriate it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member