Found Deceased CA - Paul Miller, 51, Canadian missing in Joshua Tree Natl Park, San Bernardino Co., 13 Jul 2018 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder what the trackers used for Paul's scent. Did his wife provide something, or did they rely on the rental car's steering wheel (which I assume his wife would have also driven on the trip, along with a number of previous renters)?

The below references a search done in May for another missing hiker (AS), who was luckily found in good condition after spending a night in the park. He was located by a helicopter crew about a mile off trail (he was waving at them). It would be interesting to know whether the dogs in that case picked up the hiker's scent and/or if searchers spotted his shoe prints at all.

www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-joshua-tree-rescues-20180526-story.html

The volunteers who assembled to locate [AS]...set out in teams of two, following a series of meandering washes that extend out from the main trail...Over the radio, one volunteer alerted searchers to look for the tracks of a Merrell-brand hiking boot, probably 13½ inches long.
[SB], 73, woke up at 3 a.m. and drove about 90 miles from her home in Canyon Lake, with Chaos and DiDi, the Belgian Malinois dogs she has trained to track scents.

She used gauze to capture [AS]'s scent from his steering wheel and grabbed a hat from his passenger seat before setting out on the main trail with Chaos.

Here's a good article about JTNP and searches (it's from May 2018, so no mention of Paul). http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...20180526-story.html+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca

...this deceptively inviting landscape, where even experienced hikers can wander off trails or underestimate how quickly the weather goes from cool to intolerably hot.

...when someone goes missing or gets in trouble, officials often call on the volunteers of Joshua Tree National Park Search and Rescue, or JOSAR. They are trained to track shoe prints, climb rocks and counsel the families of the missing — a handful have trained their dogs as trackers. Most of these volunteers are retirees; the oldest are in their 80s.
[SB] has volunteered with the rescue group for 20 years, but still finds the nearly 800,000-acre park unwieldy. "If I got off trail a quarter of a mile, I'd be sunk," she said. "Everything looks the same."
When [TR] saw a vulture circling over a valley, he followed it, calling out [DS]'s name until he heard a faint call for help. He found [DS] curled against a rock, his mouth and eyes covered in dirt... Back home later that week, [DS] reflected on how, despite decades of experience hiking in the park, he came so close to death. "I just got lost … my physical strength fell away and I just got lost. It's kind of simple in a way. This is what happens out in the desert," he said.

Most searchers are retirees , some in their 80’s ? Goodness. I wonder why they don’t get members of the national guard to help in these searches? Being younger and more able bodied surely couldn’t hurt anything.

Thank you.
I spent a bit of time last night on the Twitter #JTNP and found a thank you from PM’s sister to Neil. so she believes he’s real

It’s the very first thread mentioning the missing hiker. Mid July

It’s not twitter. FB. So sorry. I’m not sure I’m even supposed to mention those.

HUGE THANKS for clarifying it was FB --- I found the post you spoke of...and I'm paraphrasing for Paul's sake:

Paul's sister thanks Neil verifying he was the last person who saw Paul, pointing out it was on his own accord that Neil came forward, expresses appreciation, acknowledges what he has been thru over it. She then confirms Paul is a not a novice but rather a very experienced hiker, who respects & loves the outdoors/wilderness. Had 2 hours to play with, due to fly home but went for quick hike for some photos while his wife packed up. Paul took plenty of snacks & water, it was a comfortable temp and he was had already aware of the conditions having been already hiking for a few days in JT. Only planned to be gone 1.5 hrs. --- so not to miss his flight. Paul's sister says he is talkative & friendly so likely didn't stop to chat due to his time restraints. They have tried hard to think of what could have happened in the small window of opportunity, he couldn't have went far...……………..

HUGE THANKS for clarifying it was FB --- I found the post you spoke of...and I'm paraphrasing for Paul's sake:
This all makes sense. I always believed Neil was a true witness and came forward on his own. Who would have known to speak to him or anyone if he hadn’t volunteered info. I also agree that Paul could not have gone far, maybe wandering off trail due to the hurried nature of his hike and the heat factor. Jmo. Edited due to WS crashing continually on me...The desert can be deceiving for sure, as mentioned in the articles upthread. Not really any markers to lead you back to the trail if you wander off.

Last edited:
Thank you for that post Tarabull. Any negativity towards Neil should be corrected with a humble apology, IMO. Thank you to Neil for being a good citizen and stepping up to report what he knew/saw.

The above post further reinforces my "stuck in between a boulder" theory.
I pray that another vigorous search is done soon. Paul needs to be brought home.

Most searchers are retirees , some in their 80’s ? Goodness. I wonder why they don’t get members of the national guard to help in these searches? Being younger and more able bodied surely couldn’t hurt anything.

Paul’s family may have a point in asking that additional resources be requested. I saw on twitter some communication with a volunteer searcher, but I’m not sure whether that effort is still ongoing.

Just a random thought. . . The water feature located at the "Oasis" appears quite small in total area, but I haven't found any reference to its depth. Does anyone know if it is deep, like a well, or if it is fed by an underground spring?

Searchers in their 80's? God Bless them, and thank you! Let's hope they are setting a great example for other folks to step up and help. I think asking some rock climbing types might be helpful. I wonder if there is a rock climbing club for JTNP?

Searchers in their 80's? God Bless them, and thank you! Let's hope they are setting a great example for other folks to step up and help. I think asking some rock climbing types might be helpful. I wonder if there is a rock climbing club for JTNP?

The press releases from the park search mentioned climbing groups who assisted in the search. I think they're about halfway through the first thread. Some of the pictures were quite startling. I had no idea from the maps how steep and rugged some of those dropoffs are.

Just a random thought. . . The water feature located at the "Oasis" appears quite small in total area, but I haven't found any reference to its depth. Does anyone know if it is deep, like a well, or if it is fed by an underground spring?

There was already heavy rain the first day Paul arrived in the area....

City of 29 Palms on Twitter
City of Twentynine Palms

So maybe deeper than usual...FWIW

Paul’s family may have a point in asking that additional resources be requested. I saw on twitter some communication with a volunteer searcher, but I’m not sure whether that effort is still ongoing.

If it's who I think you are speaking of (the volunteer searcher, a local) he said he would continue to search....he said he couldn't live with himself sitting on the couch knowing Paul is still out there.

Thank you for that post Tarabull. Any negativity towards Neil should be corrected with a humble apology, IMO. Thank you to Neil for being a good citizen and stepping up to report what he knew/saw.

The above post further reinforces my "stuck in between a boulder" theory.
I pray that another vigorous search is done soon. Paul needs to be brought home.

We must thank GULLIVER for finding & mentioning it...

:cool:

Paul must have been incapacitated because the search on & above the trail, his supposed route, started quickly and hould have been screaming my head, blowing my whistle, sounding my air horn or lighting the flare, knowing my wife was going to be furious having missed the flight...

I SAY that but then again I have only been lost once....ok twice....but never over night lol

Where is Paul???

Oh my, apologies if my post came across as anything negative concerning the volunteers, I think it’s absolutely amazing that they’re doing this and find it very admirable. I only meant to point out that maybe they could use some help. Kudos and many thanks to them for their hard work and dedication.

oh... my... god.... not saying that 80 yr olds cant contribute, but in that heat? I figured searchers were 20s, 30s 40s 50s ish I am stunned

I wonder what the trackers used for Paul's scent. Did his wife provide something, or did they rely on the rental car's steering wheel (which I assume his wife would have also driven on the trip, along with a number of previous renters)?

The below references a search done in May for another missing hiker (AS), who was luckily found in good condition after spending a night in the park. He was located by a helicopter crew about a mile off trail (he was waving at them). It would be interesting to know whether the dogs in that case picked up the hiker's scent and/or if searchers spotted his shoe prints at all.

www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-joshua-tree-rescues-20180526-story.html

The volunteers who assembled to locate [AS]...set out in teams of two, following a series of meandering washes that extend out from the main trail...Over the radio, one volunteer alerted searchers to look for the tracks of a Merrell-brand hiking boot, probably 13½ inches long.
[SB], 73, woke up at 3 a.m. and drove about 90 miles from her home in Canyon Lake, with Chaos and DiDi, the Belgian Malinois dogs she has trained to track scents.

She used gauze to capture [AS]'s scent from his steering wheel and grabbed a hat from his passenger seat before setting out on the main trail with Chaos.

I was wondering what they used for scent as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay