CA CA - Peter McColl, 16, Berkeley, 28 Aug 1995

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thanks, MagnoliaMountain, for the bump.

Since I last posted here, I have done a significant amount of boots-on-the-ground sleuthing, including speaking to a detective at the Berkeley Police Department, as well as other people who were connected to Peter in various ways, before he disappeared.

The detective has asked me to refrain from discussing the case, until he's had a chance to review the records thoroughly, and decide together how to proceed—which is taking awhile, because the records were difficult for him to procure, and there is a lot of material for him to review.

I have agreed to respect his request, which is why I haven't posted any updates here, as of late.

However, if and when he gives me the green light to discuss the case, and there are elements of the case with which we could use your help sleuthing, I will be sure to post them here at that time.

Thank you for your interest in Peter's case. I really appreciate it.

Wondering now if there was any significance to Peter removing his bucket-list of places he wanted to go, and replacing it with a Jimi Hendrix poster?
imo.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/E-Bay-hills-scoured-for-missing-boy-3133532.php

"E. Bay hills scoured for missing boy

Erin McCormick, OF THE EXAMINER STAFF Published 4:00 am, Sunday, September 3, 1995"

rbbm.
"While he loves hanging out on Telegraph Avenue and listening to the heavy rock music of Metallica and Jimi Hendrix, friends say, McColl has a deep philosophical side as well. They said he is very religious, following his family's Christadelphian faith, and would occasionally argue with other students on such subjects as the nature of God.

A map on his wall<

Caro-Greene said McColl also showed signs of wanderlust.

"He even used to have a map on his bedroom wall with pins in all the places that he wanted to go (in the United States)," said Caro-Greene, who added that he, Sutton and McColl were planning to get a car and drive cross-country next summer. Recently, he said, McColl

"took the map down and put up a Jimi Hendrix poster."

Thanks for posting that article, dotr. I hadn't seen that article before, but it is helpful to read. I knew the two students referenced in that article, during high school, and they are on my list of people to interview, after the detective finishes reviewing the report.

Without divulging too much, I will say this: I have renewed hope of finding out what happened to Peter. With help from people who knew Peter much better than I, I have discovered a number of clues and leads, some of which have not been pursued thus far—and which I intend to pursue, if it still makes sense to do so, after the detective reviews the case.

Furthermore, I feel good about this detective. He was assigned to cold cases in the last year or so, and hadn't reviewed Peter's case until I asked him to do so. This means that he is looking at it with fresh eyes. Though he is busy, he seems very interested in the case, and in working with me and Peter's family to continue the investigation. In fact, when I proposed that I interview someone who was close to Peter, who hadn't previously been interviewed, the detective was very encouraging, and helped me plan the interview.

Obviously, I can't be too optimistic about a case as cold as this, but I will say this: there are stones that remain unturned, and I intend to turn them.

I see that you just updated your last reply, dotr. I agree that the replacing of the map with the poster is potentially significant. I think it's hard to know, however, whether it supports or refutes the idea that Peter went wandering. On the one hand, he could have taken the map down from his wall, so that he could carry it with him, on a road trip. On the other hand, he could have taken it down, because he lost interest in wandering, at least relative to Jimi Hendrix. Nonetheless, it is a clue that I will keep in mind, in case I find further evidence that relates thereto.

John_Doe, Off hand, do you recall if Peter had/wore any Metallica t-shirts?

I don't recall. I could potentially ask Peter's family or friends. How might that be significant?

What are "uids"?

Sorry, and well sorry- uid unidentified human remains.
When looking through uid cases, one watches for items that may help identify person, ( aside from physical appearance) such as a t shirt, sometimes helpful to know shoe size and jewellery usually worn ect.
imo

Sorry, and well sorry- uid unidentified human remains.
When looking through uid cases, one watches for items that may help identify person, ( aside from physical appearance) such as a t shirt, sometimes helpful to know shoe size and jewellery usually worn ect.
imo

Ah. Makes sense. Thanks for clarifying.

Are you thinking of a Metallica-t-shirt-wearing UID in particular, when you ask whether Peter had any such t-shirts?

Ah. Makes sense. Thanks for clarifying.

Are you thinking of a Metallica-t-shirt-wearing UID in particular, when you ask whether Peter had any such t-shirts?

Yes, trying to locate although it is not likely- but every detail counts when looking to match, imo.

Yes, trying to locate although it is not likely- but every detail counts when looking to match, imo.

Ok. Thanks for the heads up. I'll ask the family.

Can you provide any more details about this particular UID?

Wow! Reading all this does make me smile, thank you, John_Doe! Keeping my fingers crossed! Maybe 2016 will be the year Peter's loved ones will get the answers they'd been waiting for soooo long.

Ok. Thanks for the heads up. I'll ask the family.

Can you provide any more details about this particular UID?

Sorry for the distraction, the M. t-shirt was not what i thought, and the search continues..
Wondering if the poster replacement referenced in up- thread post, suggested an end to the plans made with his future traveling buddies, rather than an end to the desire to travel.
Maybe Peter was angry at something?

From the Charley Project link, a last seen worn, clothing reminder.

"Clothing Description: A light gray t-shirt with "Berkeley Crew" imprinted on the front, a light gray sweatshirt with "US Rowing" imprinted on the front, black jeans and Dr. Marten boots."

mo.speculation.

I have checked in on Peter's case from time to time. Grateful Doe's identification reminded me to come by here and check in again.

I have lots of thoughts and questions and would love to pursue anything that could help find Peter.

One thing to point out in researching possible UID's is that Peter, IMO, appeared older than his barely 16 years. He appears to have had broad shoulders and as an athlete rower, he would have been more muscular than some of his peers. If he was already wearing facial hair as well, he may have been mistaken for being older.

Thanks JohnDoe for your insight and sleuthing on Peters behalf!

I thought it was interesting to hear your thoughts having known him. I think it shows how a teenager can possibly keep hidden a different side than shown to family, and 16 would be the age of experimenting with life. From a Christian perspective I think that side can be hidden because of guilt from having gone (outside the circle) MOO

JohnDoe only if you can answer- do your current investigations include the Nichole aspect?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxnum
Back