Found Deceased CA - Philip Kreycik, 37, Pleasanton Ridge Regional Park, 10 Jul 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm hoping Philip's wife will come forward and say what she knows and how the situation was both the night before he went running, and the day he supposedly did.
Would her version vary to Philip's running mate Chris?

Also, if he posted a package at a post office/drop off centre, would he not receive some sort of a receipt or counterfoil as proof it was mailed? And wouldn't that be in his car?

He left Berkeley Saturday morning for what was supposed to be a brief run in the Pleasanton hills, and he never showed up to pick up his family in Stockton a few hours later. It was 106 degrees outside.
EXCLUSIVE: Wife, father of missing jogger plead for help saying, 'he's waiting for us'

Yes, wife and kids spent the night in Stockton.

The high for the day was 106°, but when he started his run at ~11am it was ~97°. It is still way hot, but a well trained runner (and it is said he was) can handle a short run at 97°. That would not be the case for me, even walking. I do think it VERY possible he underestimated the heat. If he went to take shelter to try to recover, he could be in thick brush, or attacked by lion there and taken to den or cave?

The same clothes really bug me to. It makes no sense.
It's perfectly normal if you run 2 days in a row. MOO. Clean clothes don't impress other runners. I usually go 2-3 days for running shorts. I'd rather exercise than do laundry. But I'd at least bring along a clean shirt if I was planning to do something afterwards. Not clear if that's what PK did.

The AMA is even odder than I expected. The extraneous and flowery details and writing style, given the circumstances...
Exactly what I was thinking!

Very odd, highly detailed….it just seems strange especially coming from a guy. Must men I know aren’t so “chatty.”

Also, the part about the “mountain lions” was super strange. The way he talked about what might have happened to Philip just seemed morose considering the situation.

The author may genuinely be trying to help find his friend--and I think he is, don't get me wrong--but I think he likes the attention he's getting not only because it promises to help bring PK home but because he might be a bit of a show-off himself. See the flowery language, as someone noted above, and the part in the AMA where CT wrote that "I brought three different beers, Philip chose first and drank Fort Point's "Villager". The fitingness of that selection for the weeks that have followed has stuck with me." Just seems a little...contrived? And also, what is the relevance of "Villager" to "the weeks that have followed" PK drinking it?

Last edited:
Mod Note:

TOS requires members provide links to what they state as fact. Approved links include LE statements and MSM sources. Reddit and Facebook conversations ARE NOT approved sources. Rumors are not permitted.

Warning points will be issued and if it continues, Time Outs will be issued.

If you have a concern with a post that violates TOS please use the report link on the post and a member of the team will take a look at it.

As a reminder, the rules can be viewed here: The Rules

Thanks,
Tiff

Please review The Rules: Social Media - Facebook, Twitter, etc.

Allowed:

MSM and LE are always allowed.
The actual victim's / missing person's social media account is allowed to be linked and discussed.
IF family members are part of the Admin team of a Missing Person group support page, then discussion of posts by an Admin of that page are allowed. (Note: Comments by general commenters on the page are not allowed.)

Not Allowed:

As above, general comments on a WS approved social media account are not allowed; only comments by the Admins of that page, nobody else)

Social media belonging to other individuals, and which Philip may have posted on, are not allowed to be linked or discussed on the public thread. (They may be discussed in private).

Reddit is not allowed as a source UNLESS it is Philip's social media account (as we did in the Syd West thread). All other Reddit is off limits at Websleuths. *ETA* ... only the victim's posts are allowed; posts/responses by friends and others are not allowed.)

<modsnip: Removed due to information later being clarified with Admin>

Note: Mod or Admin decisions can be case specific for various reasons, so please don't assume if it was allowed in one case that it is automatically allowed in another. Always check with us first by private messaging a Mod or Admin to ask for clarification and let us review the matter. These matters derail the thread and are off topic in the discussion.

As always, members can private message with one another to discuss links and issues that are not allowed on the public threads. Up to 20 members can be added to a private conversation and the PMs are not viewable by WS staff or the public.

If further clarification is required, please private message a Mod or Admin.

See *ETA* above.

Last edited:
I used to live in Berkeley, like he does. You don't want to go on a long run there because all the traffic in the crowded Bay Area creates a lot of smoggy air.

Driving out to Pleasanton is more rural and better air quality and very scenic and quiet.

i drive around that same mileage to run in the mountains every weekend. Sometimes I run longer and sometimes just a little 4 mile run. It’s worth it to drive a longer distance to be in area you love.

Nearly 2 Weeks Pass And Still No Sign of Missing East Bay Runner

July 23
Recently, a tip came in from a woman who said she spotted a distressed looking man running under a bridge on a trail on the night that Kreycik went missing.

Volunteers spent the day Friday following up on that tip, combing the trail, knocking on doors, checking to see if anyone has home security cameras that may have captured any sign of Krecyik.

Security consultant Michael Leininger, who is not taking part in the case, said he thinks it’s time for investigators to shift their focus away from the park and focus on Kreycik’s digital footprint.

"They need to investigate his work computer, his home computer, his cell phone," he said. "All those items need to be forensically examined. Coworkers need to be spoken to."

A friend of Kreycik who went out for a run with him on the day before he went missing is shedding some light on their conversations and where Kreycik was at mentally.

He said they discussed relocating, moving away and Kreycik’s kids, specifically his 8-month-old daughter. The friend said Kreycik was happy, content with work and proud of a big project that was almost wrapping up.

ADMIN NOTE:

My apologies, but I did not know that Philip's friend Chris T was also an Admin of the FB group support page.

As an Admin of that page he is allowed to be quoted here and his google doc linked and discussed.

To avoid any further confusion, I have modsnipped my own Admin Note upthread as it relates to the google doc link that Chris T. has posted on the FB page.

And questions were deleted, as expected.
Can you remember any? I was working and dipping in and out and missed that. The final version seems a bit different than the work in progress. I was surprised that the texts between P and his wife were pasted in, not sure if that is allowed under CA law? In my state consent of both parties would be required and it just felt a bit intrusive to me, but moo only. To me, he could have referenced the timestamps without the actual texts.

This info re: the detective stood out to me.

"Did the police investigate X scenario in which Philip wanted to disappear. I can't speak to what all they investigated; however, even though I'm fully aware that turning over your phone to the police is never in your interest, so many folks sent me so many texts and voicemails pertaining to the search + the photos I took + the conversations I'd had with Philip I ended up giving them mine. I wanted them to have every confidence in Philip, and also in his friends. I do think they looked at this from those angles and I did have conversations with PPD about how the lead detective had changed to ensure that they were objective (vs. close with the family) to ensure that those angles were properly accounted for.
  • Internet search history etc. (I have no ability to answer these questions; however, I will say Philip led a very open and transparent life and his family has access to all his accounts, so I very much doubt there's anything there of note or that any un-expected activity has occurred since he went missing. That's just my opinion though, no evidence for you.)"

Last edited:
Thanks, to me CT seemed verbose, yet sincere. MOO is the most important information he shared was that in CT's opinion, PK was not acclimated to the heat. Going from 60 deg to 95+ deg running isn't easy even if you're a sub 6 min pace trail runner. That unfortunately stacks the odds toward him becoming disoriented during his run and never leaving the park.

“I suspect Philip just bit off more than he could chew.” - Source, Chris’s Facebook answers.

IMO, this seems to contradict earlier statements regarding his vast experience and physical condition. Why go into so much detail regarding beers the night before and dismiss it as “phoning it in,” during an easy run, then claim that he was overcome by weakness the morning after?

His running partner, at any rate, does not suspect foul play. His theory is that Philip was unprepared and suffered the consequences.

It’s also worth noting that his running partner did not seem to know Philip all that well, as he texted Philip “if you don’t drink I’ll happily bring another cold beverage of your choice…” on 7/9, per the text exchange he posted. If people are close, they tend to know each other’s positions re: drinking.

An admin on FB claimed that the beer remained cold because they had stopped at a bar; this appears to be false based on the text exchange offering to bring beer in the first instance.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member