Found Deceased CA - Philip Kreycik, 37, Pleasanton Ridge Regional Park, 10 Jul 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
At 3 AM, they posted on Facebook a call for volunteers to meet at the Sunol post office.
"3:00a 7/14 New update - Fresh call for help: 10 experienced hikers in rugged terrain, please go stage at Sunol post office now if you are able. Dress warm and bring headlamps.
No rope experience needed but PLEASE be a confident hiker! The sooner people can arrive, the better."

KRON4 news report about someone shouting for help from the canyon.
It would be nice if they find him!
His friend is saying how strong and fit he is, which is great, so let's hope he has found a water source -- four days in sweltering heat. :(

‘Cry for help’ in Sunol canyon a dead end in Philip Kreycik disappearance | KRON4

SUNOL, Calif. (KRON) — Volunteers from the Find Philip Kreycik Facebook group gathered at the Sunol post office on Wednesday with high hopes that a ‘cry for help’ heard in a Sunol canyon would lead to the missing Berkeley father.

But before 8 a.m., the crew investigating the report by a family came up with nothing.

Over 200 people had been looking for the missing Berkeley father who vanished on Saturday at a running trail in Pleasanton Ridge Regional Park. But only experienced hikers in the group were called to Sunol to follow the now-defunct lead.

On search day five, volunteers are willing to try anything to find him alive.

Not necessarily, I have a FitBit Sense and that sucker takes like 5 days to die.

Wonder if the heat would drain it faster? I know the high heat & humidity drains my iPhone quick!
It’s been shared that officials took his phone down the scheduled route to see if it would pair with his watch. It was stated his watch is an older model. (I don’t know much about a Suunto Watch)

Pleasanton police scale back search for missing runner Philip Kreycik

Despite expanding the search area 100 meters outside of his intended route and their "exhaustive search efforts," officials from the Pleasanton Police Department said in a statement that "no significant clues were collected" as of late Tuesday afternoon. Blood was found on a rock earlier during the day but testing confirmed it was animal blood.

"This was not an easy decision to make, and our focus is to continue supporting the Kreycik family," Lt. Erik Silacci said. "We thank all of the search and rescue crews as well as the hundreds of volunteers who rallied together and remain committed to locating Philip."

UPDATE: Searchers For Missing Jogger Philip Kreycik Hear Cries For Help In Pleasanton Canyon

Volunteers and family members searching for missing jogger Philip Kreycik are focusing on a new area of Pleasanton Ridge Regional Park where a family member heard something overnight.

According to a “Finding Philip Kreycik’” Facebook page, the family member could hear cries for help on the Sunol side of the regional park around 1 a.m. The yells were apparently coming from a canyon in the area.

So far there has been no word from sheriff’s investigators on the development.

Cries heard in East Bay canyon as mystery of missing runner deepens

After four days scouring Pleasanton Ridge Regional Park for runner Philip Kreycik, the Berkeley man who vanished on Saturday, volunteers followed a new lead in the early hours of Wednesday morning after cries were heard in a canyon.

After a family reported the sound, a group member and friend of Kreycik's went to the area and also heard a call for help.

The new effort has so far been unsuccessful, as the team returned to Sunol post office this morning with no reports of finding Kreycik.

Search for missing runner Philip Kreycik shifts to Sunol

UPDATE

Bay Area law enforcement agencies and volunteers continued their search for a missing runner in a new area of Pleasanton Ridge Regional Park on Wednesday, after someone reported hearing cries for help in a Sunol canyon early that morning.

Nothing was found in the area on Wednesday but officials are continuing to search in other locations where they have not already looked or that need to be scoured again. Based on his own experiences of chasing down criminals in the area at night, Silacci said it's possible the reported cries were actually an animal.

The majority of the trails have been searched at this point, and Silacci said reports that most of the park has already been searched are "misleading."

"Off-trails, we're not able to physically search certain areas, so usually what they'll do is search areas nearby," Silacci said.

Anyone that was in the area and saw Kreycik that day is asked to contact authorities.

"We're concentrating on firming up his timeline that day from when he left his house to when he arrived in Pleasanton," Silacci said, and were able to determine that Kreycik returned a package via a parcel service on his way to the park that morning.

Wonder if the heat would drain it faster? I know the high heat & humidity drains my iPhone quick!
It’s been shared that officials took his phone down the scheduled route to see if it would pair with his watch. It was stated his watch is an older model. (I don’t know much about a Suunto Watch)

It looks like he used a Suunto Ambit 3 Sport watch on his most recent run recorded in Strava. I'm not familiar with this watch either but Suunto's web site says it has a 15 to 100 hour battery life depending on GPS accuracy settings. It also has Bluetooth connectivity so it looks like you can download routes and maps to it from a phone ahead of time.

FWIW I usually leave Bluetooth and notifications off with my Garmin watch on runs to save battery life and because I don't like the interruptions. Maybe I should re-think that.
ETA: I also run with my phone but I'm not a fast runner like Kreycik. With most watches, the runs can be uploaded to Strava later.

Last edited:
Why would he go for a run alone and go OFF the trails? His purpose was to do a long run. This is not the mountains, with long drop offs and cliffs. He should have been found. I fear that maybe it was (in no order) foul play, mountain lion, medical event, injury, but they would have found him,... or he left on his own...? Also, not the wilderness. Close to the Bay Area and homes nearby. My thoughts only.

Why would he go for a run alone and go OFF the trails? His purpose was to do a long run. This is not the mountains, with long drop offs and cliffs. He should have been found. I fear that maybe it was (in no order) foul play, mountain lion, medical event, injury, but they would have found him,... or he left on his own...? Also, not the wilderness. Close to the Bay Area and homes nearby. My thoughts only.
It is easy to get lost up there because the side trails look like the main trails and many of the main trails don't have signs that indicate they are main trails. Even experienced hikers get lost. See Trip Report: Tehan Falls December 2010

Also take a look at a comment regarding the City of Pleasanton managed Moller Ranch trails and the fact that the main trail is largely unmarked with few signs. It is easy to mistake a side unofficial trail (and there are many) with the main trail. The review stating this is on the left side of the page on the bottom. Driving directions to Moller Ranch Staging Area, 8107 Moller Ranch Dr, Pleasanton - Waze

If you take a side trail accidentally you are shortly in the wilderness whether you like it or not. Also regarding the Trip Report concerning Tehan Falls note that one of the commenters named Rob states that he went down a hill with a slope so steep that ropes were needed to get out of there.

Also the official EBRPD maps of the Pleasanton Ridge park don't even show the entrance from Moller Ranch trails which make it very confusing.

There are ravines between the ridgelines that are steeply sloped (not cliffs though) that they are impossible to get out of if you accidentally get in them unless you have climbing equipment.

Homes are only near the entrance in Moller Ranch and in the entrance off of The Preserve and the only homes at the top of Pleasanton Ridge are at the very top of Santos Ranch Road (there are 4), including the controversial 'Hayward Hotel' that was built in the 1990s.

Also the city map of the Moller Ranch trail doesn't even show the connection to Pleasanton Ridge Park managed by EBRPD http://admin.cityofpleasantonca.gov/civicax/filebank/blobdload.aspx?BlobID=31377

Even this map doesn't show the specific connection paths https://www.ebparks.org/civicax/filebank/blobdload.aspx?blobid=26896

This talks about a potential connection between the HOA land on the Moller Ranch and the Pleasanton Ridge trails but I can't find a detailed official map that shows how they are connected https://www.ebparks.org/civicax/filebank/blobdload.aspx?blobid=28135

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member