Found Deceased CA - Philip Kreycik, 37, Pleasanton Ridge Regional Park, 10 Jul 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
UPDATE: Frustration Grows As Pleasanton Search For Missing Jogger Philip Kreycik Comes Up Empty

On the fifth day of searching a Pleasanton regional park for missing Berkeley runner Phillip Kreycik, frustration is mounting among authorities.

“We are definitely at a point where we are a little perplexed as to why we haven’t found Phillip yet. We’ll keep working. Where there’s hope, we’ll keep working,” said Alameda County Sheriff’s Sgt. Ray Kelly.

Although Wednesday’s search operations were scaling down, the investigation is picking up. Every detective in the Pleasanton Police Department is involved. They are currently going through Kreycik’s timeline on Saturday from the time he left his house to when he arrived to Pleasanton.

“We have yet to identify an eyewitness who saw him on that trail. And that’s why we’re asking for the public’s help,” explained Silacci.

EXCLUSIVE: Wife, father of missing jogger plead for help saying, 'he's waiting for us'

Jen Yao sobbed and trembled as she said, "It takes every molecule in my body to stay in the moment. And every fiber of my being is taking care of our kids during this time."

She is the wife of missing jogger Philip Kreycik, who went for a run Saturday in Pleasanton and never returned.

In an exclusive interview with ABC7 News, they recalled the disbelief, the panic and now the agony of walking the hills searching for 37-year-old Philip.

Thanks, @mlhenn for this link, which maybe answers my earlier post question of why drive to where he did for a run. A quote from the article says:

“He left Berkeley Saturday morning for what was supposed to be a brief run in the Pleasanton hills, and he never showed up to pick up his family in Stockton a few hours later.”

I think Pleasanton may be on the way to Stockton where he was supposed to drive to pick up family, so maybe that’s the reason he chose that park.

Thanks, @mlhenn for this link, which maybe answers my earlier post question of why drive to where he did for a run. A quote from the article says:

“He left Berkeley Saturday morning for what was supposed to be a brief run in the Pleasanton hills, and he never showed up to pick up his family in Stockton a few hours later.”

I think Pleasanton may be on the way to Stockton where he was supposed to drive to pick up family, so maybe that’s the reason he chose that park.
it is, its right near 680 / 580 interchange and 580 is the route to stockton

After 5 days, full-time search for missing runner in Pleasanton is called off

This stood out to me. Why does LE want to figure out more about the package he mailed?

Police told ABC7 on Wednesday that Kreycik dropped off a package at a parcel store in Oakland before he vanished.

They are now looking to figure out what was in the package and any witnesses that may have seen Kreycik.

This stood out to me. Why does LE want to figure out more about the package he mailed?

Police told ABC7 on Wednesday that Kreycik dropped off a package at a parcel store in Oakland before he vanished.

They are now looking to figure out what was in the package and any witnesses that may have seen Kreycik.
Maybe they are not sure Kreycik actually mailed the package himself and suspect someone else could have done it.

Also, I've not heard if there are any eyewitnesses that ever saw him in person in Pleasanton at the staging area or the trails. Did any Ring doorbell videos show him there in the neighborhood or did anyone actually spot him in person on Saturday?

Or was only the vehicle spotted near the staging area?

Maybe they are not sure Kreycik actually mailed the package himself and suspect someone else could have done it.

Also, I've not heard if there are any eyewitnesses that ever saw him in person in Pleasanton at the staging area or the trails. Did any Ring doorbell videos show him there in the neighborhood or did anyone actually spot him in person on Saturday?

Or was only the vehicle spotted near the staging area?

Volunteers make final widespread effort to find Philip Kreycik | KRON4

Police saw him in surveillance video dropping off a package in Oakland around an hour before his run.

Has there been any evidence that Phillip wanted to leave? Could the package have been sent to family or someone he knew to offer an explanation for his disappearance?

From the same source, "Officials say he is either 'incapacitated or unresponsive,' or he just isn't up in the Pleasanton hills."

Not sure why he chose that particular staging area. Down the road is the Castleridge staging area that links right up to the trails on Pleasanton Ridge park. It is a mystery why he would park at staging areas that might have no direct connection to Pleasanton Ridge park if in fact he wanted to run the trails along Pleasanton Ridge.

He studied Urban Planning at MIT and based on that, I think he would have expert knowledge of maps in general and topographical maps to get a complete picture of what the terrain would be like. Even still, I'm not sure why a cell phone was left in the car if he had not run that way before in Pleasanton and would have to navigate somehow connecting the city-owned trails along the Preserve and Moller Ranch with the EBRPD-owned trails along Pleasanton Ridge Regional Park.

Not sure why he chose that particular staging area. Down the road is the Castleridge staging area that links right up to the trails on Pleasanton Ridge park. It is a mystery why he would park at staging areas that might have no direct connection to Pleasanton Ridge park if in fact he wanted to run the trails along Pleasanton Ridge.

He studied Urban Planning at MIT and based on that, I think he would have expert knowledge of maps in general and topographical maps to get a complete picture of what the terrain would be like. Even still, I'm not sure why a cell phone was left in the car if he had not run that way before in Pleasanton and would have to navigate somehow connecting the city-owned trails along the Preserve and Moller Ranch with the EBRPD-owned trails along Pleasanton Ridge Regional Park.

Ok might be totally out there, but learning that he studied at MIT makes me more curious about what he did for work. <modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok might be totally out there, but learning that he studied at MIT makes me more curious about what he did for work. Many well-known intelligence agencies recruit from the Ivy League and top tier schools, like MIT. Some of these recruits "vanish." His unexplained disappearance after he chose to go running during peak-heat time, in an unfamiliar place, along with the mysterious package, and leaving everything behind, including his cell-phone (which again, doesn't make sense since he doesn't know the route)... Wonder if there's more going on.

JMO

California dad who vanished while jogging may be ‘incapacitated’ or not in area; police scale back search

Kreycik is an energy efficiency analyst for Pacific Gas and Electric, the utility confirmed to The Associated Press. He graduated from Harvard and MIT, and runs ultramarathons, police told KGO-TV.

EXCLUSIVE: Wife, father of missing jogger plead for help saying, 'he's waiting for us'

They say he is a brilliant guy working with PG&E on infrastructure for transportation electrification.

Ok might be totally out there, but learning that he studied at MIT makes me more curious about what he did for work. Many well-known intelligence agencies recruit from the Ivy League and top tier schools, like MIT. Some of these recruits "vanish." His unexplained disappearance after he chose to go running during peak-heat time, in an unfamiliar place, along with the mysterious package, and leaving everything behind, including his cell-phone (which again, doesn't make sense since he doesn't know the route)... Wonder if there's more going on.

JMO

Philip was a competitive long distance runner. Many athletes and fitness buffs don’t carry a phone because of weight and difficulty in securing it. Running/walking route is uploaded on a sport watch which he was wearing. Once the run is completed mileage, time, grade … will upload to the phone when the devices are in close proximity.
*I never carry a phone on my jaunts

Sometimes the choice for parking for hikes and runs is guided less by convenience and more by the avoidance of having your car ticketed or towed or, as is the case in my area, having your car broken into at a trailhead. Strava does show short trail segments starting from Moller Park although other portions of his planned route didn't match any segments. It's not clear if his Suunto watch had more than a rudimentary map capability. But leaving his phone in the car if he thought the watch would suffice doesn't seem unusual. Fast runners don't like the extra weight.

I’m dumb :oops:, so what is meant by staging area? Is that another way of saying where he decided to park the car? I really don’t know the term. Sorry :(, and thanks :).

There seems to be quite a few of these high-up CEO executive types going missing just lately......Alan White (executive at KPMG) in Dallas TX, and also Jake Cefolia (executive at United Airlines) near Chicago, IL.

There are also a lot of similarities between the 2 cases too:
Both went missing after they'd been doing fitness activities, and both had their houses sold while they were still missing.
Although Alan's body has been found and Jake's hasn't, both the respective police departments are clueless as to what, why and how - and if they were even homicides or suicides.
Also, both of their families have been radio silent and there have been no statements, media contact, or pushing LE for answers from either family.

But let's just hope this case is different and Philip just had an accident and hasn't been found yet.

Last edited:
There seems to be quite a few of these high-up CEO executive types going missing just lately......Alan White (executive at KPMG) in Dallas TX, and also Jake Cefolia (executive at United Airlines) near Chicago, IL.

There are also a lot of similarities between the 2 cases too:
Both went missing after they'd been doing fitness activities, and both had their houses sold while they were still missing.
Although Alan's body has been found and Jake's hasn't, both the respective police departments are clueless as to what, why and how - and if they were even homicides or suicides.
Also, both of their families have been radio silent and there have been no statements, media contact, or pushing LE for answers from either family.

But let's just hope this case is different and Philip just had an accident and hasn't been found yet.

It also reminds me, sadly, of Lucas Horan. Both were incredibly smart, very athletic, successful young men living in the East Bay area. Both cases involved large, organized searches, and both men had very strong networks of family and friends. Hopefully, Philip's case will have a happier ending.

Found Deceased - CA - Lucas Horan, 39, Emeryville Marina, 24 Dec 2020

I’m dumb :oops:, so what is meant by staging area? Is that another way of saying where he decided to park the car? I really don’t know the term. Sorry :(, and thanks :).
I think it is a California term because I never heard of it on the east coast. It means a parking lot. Sometimes a restroom is there.

There are a myriad of various staging areas.....there are staging areas in Moller Ranch and in the nearby neighborhood of the The Preserve. http://admin.cityofpleasantonca.gov/civicax/filebank/blobdload.aspx?BlobID=31377 These trails are neighborhood trails managed by the city of Pleasanton. From what I have read, they K-9s lost track of Philip's scent on a trail near the top of Moller Ranch Drive near a water tower. If you look at this blog post and comments, this references what I think is the same tower and general area at the top of Moller Ranch Drive
Trip Report: Tehan Falls December 2010
The comments from someone named Rob beginning with "In my opinion, Moller Ranch Rd (not the trailhead parking but at the top of the road near the water tower (about 500 yards up the road)) is easier access point." seem to be referencing the vicinity of where authorities lost the scent with K-9s. The main post though is referencing The Preserve which is very close to Moller Ranch.

There are two staging areas owned by EBRPD that access Pleasanton Ridge Park - Castleridge and Foothill. One is also planned at the corner of West Las Positas Blvd and Foothill Rd and is supposed to be called the Garms Staging Area but is not built yet. Another staging area is in the city owned Augustin Bernal Park in the Golden Eagle neighborhood where the trails lead to Pleasanton Ridge.

From what I understand, the Garms Staging Area should eventually access the Tehan Falls. Here is a document on what is happening---Castleridge is open, Garms is not....http://www.cityofpleasantonca.gov/civicax/filebank/blobdload.aspx?BlobID=24618 Once Garms is open, there should be a Tehan Falls Trail as you see in the document, but for some reason, this Garms Staging Area which was supposed to be open a few years ago is not even built yet.

There is a private gated road called Santos Ranch Road that goes up Pleasanton Ridge. There is also a private road called Tehan Canyon Road that is gated off of Serendipity Terrace with Private Property signs on it and this is adjacent to the Moller Ranch Trails property. From the Find Philip Kreycik Facebook page, one poster reports that one of the property owners along Tehan Canyon Road would not allow law enforcement/official SAR to search their property.

Right now people are distributing missing persons fliers around town. The quote was: "Post one on the gate that enters Tehan Canyon Road. Not sure of which exact property but there was one that would not let authorities search on their property!"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member