Found Deceased CA - Philip Kreycik, 37, Pleasanton Ridge Regional Park, 10 Jul 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Search Teams Scour Pleasanton Ridge Regional Park for Missing Man

Police said Kreycik left his phone in his car, probably because carrying it would have weighed on him. They don’t know for certain if he carried any water with him.

He went running in an area that has deep canyons, steep trails and minimal shade.

For now, the growing group of volunteers is expanding its search on foot and online, calling for rock climbers who have experience rappelling to help join the effort.

Experienced hikers and e-bikers are needed.

Here is another report on the NBC News channel here Search Teams Scour Pleasanton Ridge Regional Park for Missing Man

I wonder with he altered his planned route when he arrived in Pleasanton and saw how hot it was on Saturday? Perhaps he tried to find a route with more shade perhaps. It was probably substantially hotter on Saturday in Pleasanton compared to Berkeley perhaps since Pleasanton is much farther from the Bay and more inland. I have read he left his cell phone where he could access his planned route in the car.

According to this city of Pleasanton information handout on the Staging Area, the trails are public but the surrounding land is private land, http://admin.cityofpleasantonca.gov/civicax/filebank/blobdload.aspx?BlobID=31377 I am not sure if there are really any maps of any detail of the private land surrounding the trails. There are maps of the public open space in Pleasanton Ridge Park, but I am unsure if there are detailed maps of the land surrounding the Staging Area where he began his run other than what is on page 2 of this link. The East Bay Regional Park maps of Pleasanton Ridge Park also have their own set of maps.

Last edited:
The Patch just issued an article seeking more volunteers to help search - Missing Pleasanton Hiker: Volunteers Sought As Search Continues

The area of Pleasanton Ridge and the surrounding ridgelands was once proposed as a National Park by Congressman Pete Stark (deceased). The Federal govt ended up not creating a park there, but the East Bay Regional Park District did instead and it is right next to Augustin Bernal Park managed by the city of Pleasnton. It is easy to get lost there because there are many trails and side trails. The area is huge and I've gotten lost there and confused about where I was even with a map with me.
Is there wildlife in the area, specifically- any mountain lion sightings? Maybe a medial crisis of some sort?

Is there wildlife in the area, specifically- any mountain lion sightings? Maybe a medial crisis of some sort?
There are mountain lions on Pleasanton Ridge and in the Sinbad Creek area. There is a reddit group called trail running and some have reported being confronted by mountain lions on Pleasanton Ridge and on the backside of the ridge along Sinbad Creek like this one--- https://www.reddit.com/r/trailrunni..._mile_trail_run_but_pleasanton_ridge_runners/

Mountain lions and rattlesnakes are up there in Pleasanton Ridge and at least for mountain lions, sometimes they come into town and enter a neighborhood or business areas. One was spotted a few years near downtown Pleasanton
but most of the time they stay in the Pleasanton Ridge Park.

Last edited:
There are mountain lions on Pleasanton Ridge and in the Sinbad Creek area. There is a reddit group called trail running and some have reported being confronted by mountain lions on Pleasanton Ridge and on the backside of the ridge along Sinbad Creek like this one--- https://www.reddit.com/r/trailrunni..._mile_trail_run_but_pleasanton_ridge_runners/

Mountain lions and rattlesnakes are up there in Pleasanton Ridge and at least for mountain lions, sometimes they come into town and enter a neighborhood or business areas.

Unlikely for a cat to be hunting/wandering in high heat, though. Unless he happened upon its den or something.

Rattlesnake bite? You'd think he'd be able to get back to his vehicle, unless he was lost or went too far.

I still can't understand how someone can go running at 11 AM in high heat. I won't run after 9 AM on a summer day.

KGO Hundreds join Bay Area search for missing man who went for a run in Pleasanton and never returned is reporting that the scent was lost on a trail off of Moller Ranch Drive near a water tower.

A comment from a person named Rob in this blog discusses the water tower. Trip Report: Tehan Falls December 2010 He says it has easier access to the area than the staging area/trailhead parking area.

It sounds as though it may be the same water tower discussed on KGO....

Rob says in the blog comment "In my opinion, Moller Ranch Rd (not the trailhead parking but at the top of the road near the water tower (about 500 yards up the road)) is easier access point. There is a bench early on in the hike that has a view of the whole valley. Another poster left detailed photographs. Take the shorter route to the top."

I wonder if this is the same location where they lost the scent from the dogs.....

This Google Map satellite view seems to show the water tower (the circular shaped object looks like a water tank) and the bench. Google Maps

Last edited:
Lots of organized searching going on, it seems, so that's good.

Also, "Yes, police are collecting camera footage. If you have footage, give it a look and see if you have anything. If in the search area and the police haven’t contacted you, give them a call."

A list of questions and information from the family: Philip Kreycik Search - VOLUNTEER NEEDS & FAQ

UPDATE: Authorities Say Search For Missing Jogger in Pleasanton Hills Entering a Critical Stage

UPDATE
A massive search and rescue mission continued in the East Bay Tuesday as over 200 volunteers helped authorities look for a man who never returned home from a weekend run at Pleasanton Ridge Regional Park.

There are 13 local agencies now involved in the search for 37-year-old Berkeley resident Phillip Kreycik.

Investigators told KPIX concern over Kreycik is growing. They called Tuesday’s search critical as the area covered widens with a more organized and systematic approach.

“We specifically are going to focus on going about 100 meters off of each linear trail down deeper into the tree lines,” said Sgt. Ray Kelly with the Alameda Sheriff’s Special Operations Group.

Some of the agencies involved are using K-9’s as they comb through 50 square miles of brush and tough terrain in the Pleasanton hills.

Hundreds of volunteers comb park for missing East Bay runner

In an update on Tuesday morning Alameda County Sheriff's Sgt. Ray Kelly said that they plan on searching 100 meters off each trail today, and that the volunteers are helping, not hindering the effort. Kelly also said the thermal imaging being used is able to pick up small animals, so it’s "concerning" they haven’t yet located Kreycik. Searchers are still hopeful, though, Kelly said.

Kreycik's runner profile on Strava, the social app that tracks and connects runners and cyclists, shows his recent runs, including two eight-mile routes in Berkeley's Claremont Canyon and a six-mile run on July 9 through Redwood Regional Park, the day before he ran Pleasanton Ridge.

"His family is optimistic, and we are too, that we are going to find Mr. Kreycik," Pleasanton Police Lt. Erik Silacci told the press. "But this is dangerous country."

Authorities say two scenarios possible for missing man in Pleasanton | KRON4

Nearly 300 people have been searching for Kreycik since he went missing.

By Tuesday night, crews will have about 85% of the region searched via foot, drones, and in the air.

Authorities believe they know the intended route Kreycik was going to run – about 8 miles – and that it is possible to slip off a ridge in the area, but that would not have been likely on his intended route.

A press release with more information is expected later this evening.

UPDATE: Search For Missing Jogger Phillip Kreycik in Pleasanton Hills Entering Critical Stage

UPDATE:
Authorities on Tuesday afternoon estimated the search has encompassed about 16 square miles and called the effort unprecedented in scope.

Investigators told KPIX 5 concern over Kreycik is growing. They called Tuesday’s search critical as the area covered widens with a more organized and systematic approach.

“We specifically are going to focus on going about 100 meters off of each linear trail down deeper into the tree lines,” said Sgt. Ray Kelly with the Alameda Sheriff’s Special Operations Group.

At a Tuesday afternoon press conference, Kelly said after four days there are two probabilities: either Kreycik is incapacitated somewhere and searchers can’t find him because of that, or he is somewhere else completely.

Tuesday’s search will once again stretch into nighttime if crews turn up no sign of Kreycik.

Investigators said they have found a watch and a spot of blood, neither of which belonged to Kreycik.

Right now, police are assuming Kreycik could have been injured while running during Saturday’s heat wave.

Authorities said at this time there are two scenarios – Kreycik is either “incapacitated,” or parked his car and left the area.

I wish more of these areas had cameras in the p-lots. It sounds like the searches have been thorough, so I'll refrain from putting out alternative theories until the remaining 15% is searched. Holding good thoughts for Philip and his family.

Find Philip Kreycik Find Philip Kreycik

Post by Chris Thoburn- Search Coordinator

I'm the one who has been coordinating the volunteers on the ground.

I'd like to leave a few details here for folks that have questions and to hopefully help reduce some of the unnecessary speculation.

between our own coordinated search and the SAR search at this point we've covered a massive amount of terrain multiple times, focusing intently in tree covered areas, ditches and drainages. 90% of this is on maps you have not seen. When we get our strava heatmap caught up (yes, that's why you are tagging!) I'll post it so folks can see where *volunteers* covered (it's MASSIVE, THANK YOU), but I'd like you to know that the SAR map is even more massive. We've covered an incredible amount of terrain in depth, we're doing everything to check everywhere.

Lastly, about that speculation:
while I have a lot more details around the day before (I ran with him the previous evening and was privy to his plans for the day he disappeared) and the day-of than I'm willing to share at this time
, those details all point to Philip having gone on this run at this time with a specific route in mind in a totally normal fashion and something on that run having gone wrong. Speculation otherwise is borderline trollish behavior, and currently we are still in a narrow window of a safe recovery that we are praying for. Please limit your imaginations for the time being, there will be all too much time later to ponder what-ifs if we don't find him.

There is some activity on the Facebook page that happened and a post with "Announcement 7" that has since been deleted that the volunteers have heard a tip that there is someone shouting from a canyon in the Sunol area. Not sure if this in the Sunol area or Sunol Ridge or somewhere else.

An excerpt is:
"About 90 minutes ago a family called in from Sunol saying that they heard a cry for help from a canyon.
Chris headed there and confirmed it but it is too late for SAR."

This is south of Pleasanton along 680. Several volunteers with specialized equipment are converging near the Sunol post office. I hope this tip pans out since according to this, the SAR is scaling back. Officials fear missing runner could be 'incapacitated' or not in Pleasanton search area at all

There was a post that the first group converged and departed from the Sunol post office at 1:35 AM. Then this announcement was deleted I think as far as I can tell.

The staging area Philip entered the area is not shown on the East Bay Regional Park District map because either it is a Pleasanton city managed staging area or maybe because it just has not been updated. Either was, it makes it confusing. Sunol is in the Southern portion of Pleasanton Ridge Park as you can see from the map on page 2. https://www.ebparks.org/civicax/filebank/blobdload.aspx?BlobID=24388 Castleridge and Foothill staging area are the only two shown on the map.

Last edited:
What is special about this park that he would drive what looks like about 33 miles (did a Google) away for a 1-hour run? And why such a late start (arrived at 11am) when we’re experiencing triple digit temperatures?
I used to live in Berkeley, like he does. You don't want to go on a long run there because all the traffic in the crowded Bay Area creates a lot of smoggy air.

Driving out to Pleasanton is more rural and better air quality and very scenic and quiet.

I wish more of these areas had cameras in the p-lots. It sounds like the searches have been thorough, so I'll refrain from putting out alternative theories until the remaining 15% is searched. Holding good thoughts for Philip and his family.
Yes, also it is unclear to me what staging area he used. Some early reports said Laurel Creek then it said Moller Ranch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
safetycircle