CA CA - Phuong Le, 24, Fairfield, 25 April 2010 - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Her car wouldn't just appear in the parking lot by itself. If she didn't drive it, somebody else had to, and clearly LE didn't say anything about anyone driving her car. So I am pretty sure she was at the store, or at least in the parking lot.
They just don't have it on video.
It could be stranger abduction. She could have come out of the store and somebody grabbed her. Wouldn't be the first time a woman got abducted from a parking lot.

We know so little about this crime.
Phuong drove to the parking lot of the shopping center
Phuong went into B&N and sat down - eye witness sees her at 8:30pm. (hope that is not a mistake (eye witnes identification of Phuong in B&M)
Phuong leaves B&N - we know that because she wasn't found in store in am.

That's honestly all we know about her movement once at the mall that night. Her body has been found but no crime scene. I have no idea how this will be solved.

My heart goes out to her beautiful family and loved ones who are grieving her loss - and with no idea of when this case will move forward, can't imagine the frustration. What a nightmare for everyone.

I put my purse in the trunk if I am going running or to the gym because I don't want to take it inside, especially if I have to pay for a locker or the locker is small and I don't want to leave it in plain view. Sometimes I would take just the wallet into a store with me if I went there after the gym or if I needed it at the gym for ID. But I'd leave the giant purse in the trunk.

I would be interested to know if everything was in the purse they found. Was her wallet inside it?

It's possible she was abducted at the gym and someone later dumped her car. It's also possible she came from the gym and took just her wallet into B&N.
Maybe she didn't plan to buy anything at B&N. Supposedly she was upset at her family because she had to give out advertisements for her sisters' business and went to B&N to cool off. If she just went there to cool off, she might have not planned to buy anything and thus did not need her wallet/left it in the car/just took a few dollars with her to buy coffee, etc.

Posted: Sunday, 16 May 2010 2:38PM
Fairfield Chevy's Holds Fundraiser for Slain Nursing Graduate

The family of a nursing graduate who was found slain near Lake Berryessa nearly a week after her disappearance is holding two fundraisers today to cover the costs of her funeral and establish a scholarship in her name.

snip

"We kind of need money for the funeral and memorial services," he said.

snip

Police are putting together a timeline of Phuong Le's locations and activities before her death. So far no suspects have been identified in the case.

http://www.kcbs.com/bayareanews/Fairfield-Chevy-s-Holds-Fundraiser-for-Slain-Nursi/7058950

Maybe she didn't plan to buy anything at B&N. Supposedly she was upset at her family because she had to give out advertisements for her sisters' business and went to B&N to cool off. If she just went there to cool off, she might have not planned to buy anything and thus did not need her wallet/left it in the car/just took a few dollars with her to buy coffee, etc.

I have to leave my purse locked in the trunk of my car when I go to work so it's not so strange for me to hear a woman would do this if she's going somewhere like a gym, but I would expect her to do that when she got to the gym, I would not feel as secure driving my car knowing my purse was in the trunk and not close to me (an odd security thing). The first thing I do when I get out of work is open the trunk and put my purse on the front seat so I have it near me.

If she was at B&N I can't really see why she would leave it in the trunk.

If she went to the gym, where did she keep her bag with clothing etc she'd want for the gym?

If there's only 1 person from B&N stating they saw her, I have to question that. People often times can be wrong in reporting what they think they saw. There could have been another young woman who resembled her there.

VB

Since the news article says "she was last seen at Barnes & Noble coffee shop",
can we assume LE has an eye witness who can swear to seeing her there?
I wonder.

We had discussed the fact that just because her car was in that parking lot
didn't mean she had ever entered the store.

Right, there was a witness at the coffee shop that placed Phuong Le at 8:30pm, I believe. However, my first gut reaction was that the backpack was staged. Has the FBI gone over fingerprints on this backpack and belongings that were in the trunk??

Her car wouldn't just appear in the parking lot by itself. If she didn't drive it, somebody else had to, and clearly LE didn't say anything about anyone driving her car. So I am pretty sure she was at the store, or at least in the parking lot.
They just don't have it on video.
It could be stranger abduction. She could have come out of the store and somebody grabbed her. Wouldn't be the first time a woman got abducted from a parking lot.

True, but another poster on this thread mentioned that area~ B and N, Mall, et al, being very crowded that night. Busy...so if Phuong Le was abducted, he/she did it quickly. My thoughts are around the fact that she was left in Napa/Berryessa area. Going on the hunch that possibly leave their victims in an area they are comfortable with, I am guessing this could be from Vallejo (in between Fairfield and Napa). I'd like to see a list of known sex offenders in the areas of Vallejo and Lake Berryessa. I'd bet its a long one and worth looking at.

Right, there was a witness at the coffee shop that placed Phuong Le at 8:30pm, I believe. However, my first gut reaction was that the backpack was staged. Has the FBI gone over fingerprints on this backpack and belongings that were in the trunk??

I'd also be interested to hear what fingerprints they could have gotten off of the trunk. If the car had been washed not long before she went missing there may not be very many on there.

VB

I have to leave my purse locked in the trunk of my car when I go to work so it's not so strange for me to hear a woman would do this if she's going somewhere like a gym, but I would expect her to do that when she got to the gym, I would not feel as secure driving my car knowing my purse was in the trunk and not close to me (an odd security thing). The first thing I do when I get out of work is open the trunk and put my purse on the front seat so I have it near me.

If she was at B&N I can't really see why she would leave it in the trunk.

If she went to the gym, where did she keep her bag with clothing etc she'd want for the gym?

If there's only 1 person from B&N stating they saw her, I have to question that. People often times can be wrong in reporting what they think they saw. There could have been another young woman who resembled her there.

VB

But different people have different habits-she might be doing things differently from you. We don't know if she regularly left her purse in her trunk. Even if most people like to have their purse next to them at all times, we don't know what she specifically would do to her purse, so I don't see how it can be ruled out that she was the one to put her purse in the trunk because that might have been her habit.

The eyewitness testimony might be especially questionable if the eyewitness was not Asian. Studies have shown that eyewitness identification is more problematic when each person is of a different ethnicity. The person could mean well but just be mistaken.

I agree that the person is comfortable with Lake Berryessa. I've never liked it. Seems like a pit. They need to be questioning bikers and small store operators up that way.

The eyewitness testimony might be especially questionable if the eyewitness was not Asian. Studies have shown that eyewitness identification is more problematic when each person is of a different ethnicity. The person could mean well but just be mistaken.

I agree that the person is comfortable with Lake Berryessa. I've never liked it. Seems like a pit. They need to be questioning bikers and small store operators up that way.

Very true.

I wonder, though, what percentage of the population in Fairfield is Asian. Where I live, Asians are very rare, so we stand out not only because of our ethnicity, but your common individual traits (height, weight, style of dress, mannerism, etc.).

In a place like Houston, TX, densely populated with a high percentage of minorities, Asians don't stand out near as much as they do where I live. A person less acquainted with Asians (or less observant) might have a more difficult time.

???

True, but another poster on this thread mentioned that area~ B and N, Mall, et al, being very crowded that night. Busy...so if Phuong Le was abducted, he/she did it quickly. My thoughts are around the fact that she was left in Napa/Berryessa area. Going on the hunch that possibly leave their victims in an area they are comfortable with, I am guessing this could be from Vallejo (in between Fairfield and Napa). I'd like to see a list of known sex offenders in the areas of Vallejo and Lake Berryessa. I'd bet its a long one and worth looking at.
I'd still like to know how many people Phuong knew who lived in that area, such as classmates; or it could be someone who knew her from the gym (but not necessarily who she knew), or even from inside the B&N. MOO

I'd still like to know how many people Phuong knew who lived in that area, such as classmates, or someone who could've known her from the gym, or even from inside the B&N. MOO

Really great point. A person can be a "shy homebody," but still have many acquaintances and have developed many very casual relationships with people she came into contact with on a regular basis (for example, the clerk at the gas station, the baristas in B&N, trainers at the gym, etc.).

Really great point. A person can be a "shy homebody," but still have many acquaintances and have developed many very casual relationships with people she came into contact with on a regular basis (for example, the clerk at the gas station, the baristas in B&N, trainers at the gym, etc.).
Exactly. From what we know, she had spent quite a lot of time at B&N studying, and someone who works there or also goes there often could've been watching her, maybe chatted with her from time to time, and maybe wanted to get to know her better, but was turned away. I don't think it's likely considering her patterns that an unknown SO who lives near the dump site just happened to be down there at the store or the parking lot that night and abducted her. I think it was someone who knew her or was "stalking" her (knowing who she was, like an acquaintance). MOO

Exactly. From what we know, she had spent quite a lot of time at B&N studying, and someone who works there or also goes there often could've been watching her, maybe chatted with her from time to time, and maybe wanted to get to know her better, but was turned away. I don't think it's likely considering her patterns that an unknown SO who lives near the dump site just happened to be down there at the store or the parking lot that night and abducted her. I think it was someone who knew her or was "stalking" her (knowing who she was, like an acquaintance). MOO

People keep talking about her patterns, but supposedly on that day she was upset at her family for having to give out advertisements for her sister, so how would her going to B&N would be a part of a pattern if she went there to cool off on that specific day?

Seems a minor detail, but I like to collect all facts in a case, no matter how small. I missed this one :)

In this video, it says that LE believe she had coffee at the Starbucks inside the Barnes & Noble.

http://www.ktvu.com/news/23289495/detail.html

That means she most likely had her wallet on her person while she was in the store. And it ended up in her bag, in the trunk.

People keep talking about her patterns, but supposedly on that day she was upset at her family for having to give out advertisements for her sister, so how would her going to B&N would be a part of a pattern if she went there to cool off on that specific day?

Her brother said her pattern was to go, every night, to b&n until it closed, then to the gym, and to be home by midnight. Going to b&n that evening would have been part of that pattern.

Now part of the problem with that is that her brother, was unaware, as was the rest of her family, that she was engaged in a relationship with TN. She may simply have been telling her family that's where she was, when she was actually elsewhere with TN.

Her pattern may therefore have been different, depending on when and how often she was meeting with TN. She may have met with him, e.g., Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and done the B&N/gym routine the other nights of the week.

Or, she may have met sporadically with TN, which would have resulted in a less regular B&N/gym pattern.

She may have had some money in her pocket; lots of younger women don't like to carry a purse all the time, so it could still have been locked in trunk with her other belongings if she knew she would not need ID.

Also, if the perp is someone who only knew her casually, i.e. from a store or gas station...that makes it so much harder, unless DNA is found and person can somehow be matched to it. Look at all the people all of us know casually like that in our everyday lives and no one else even knows about them. Most people do not know another person's specific habits well enough to reconstruct an average day; we may think we do, but we probably don't.

Seems a minor detail, but I like to collect all facts in a case, no matter how small. I missed this one :)

In this video, it says that LE believe she had coffee at the Starbucks inside the Barnes & Noble.

http://www.ktvu.com/news/23289495/detail.html

In the article Nguyen says that when he spoke to Phoung Le at 6PM
"She was upset over a lot of things".

Doesn't that sound like she may have been stressed over more than just the
argument with her sister? If so, I wonder what.

On the subject of the argument with her sister, could someone explain to me
why Phoung was sooo irate about being asked to post some flyers for her.
I guess I missed something. Couldn't she just say no, I'm sorry, if she really
didn't want to do it? It sounds like she stormed out of the house and needed
to go somewhere to cool off. Why was she so angry?

Did those flyers need to be posted during her usual time for a rendezvous with Nguyen? That's the only reason I can think of.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unnamedTV
Back