Found Deceased CA - Rachel Nguyen, 20, & Joseph Orbeso, 21, Joshua Tree Nat'l Park, 27 July 2017 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Two bodies were found this weekend near the Maze Loop. It hasn't been confirmed if these are those of Rachel and Joseph, but it probably is. http://www.kesq.com/news/top-storie...e-of-missing-hikers-source-confirms/638428207
The remains were found today on the north side of the Maze Loop trail. Joseph Orbeso's father Gilbert was with members of Joshua Tree Search and Rescue when the bodies were found.
Gilbert Orbeso has been joining JOSAR crews weekly. They comb through miles of terrain, focusing on the areas near the Maze Loop Trail.
The lead detective on the case from the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Office is now on the way to the scene. Official identification of the bodies has not yet been made, sources say. KESQ and CBS Local 2 reporter Lauren Coronado is also headed there and will have live reports at 6 pm on KESQ and 6:30 pm on CBS Local 2.

Bless his father. He never gave up searching and it sounds like he found them. Prayers go out to their families.

Bless his father. He never gave up searching and it sound like he found them. Prayers go out to their families.

Seems like they focused on the area where the glasses were located. I'm glad Joseph's father was there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RIP Joseph and Rachel.

This is so sad. Most people seem to underestimate how easy it is to get lost even when you're on a trail. It has to be even easier in the desert with such extreme heat.

Is anyone here familiar with the park? I'm curious as to why it took so long to find their bodies. I'm assuming this means they were a reasonable distance off the trail.

I hoped than had eloped or something. Darn it. :(

Rest In Peace Rachel and Joseph. Joseph’s father is truly remarkable. I hope he can find some solace in bringing him home.

Rest In Peace Rachel and Joseph. Joseph’s father is truly remarkable. I hope he can find some solace in bringing him home.
This really gives me peace in my heart for him. Remarkable is an accurate word.

Sent from my SCH-I435L using Tapatalk

I got a notification of this on my phone and just tuned in to the 6:00 pm news. They said the bodies were found close to the area of the car. How can this be? They had SAR and several searches during that time. The search was immediately conducted near the car.

I'm pretty sure as is everyone else it's Rachael and Jospeh. RIP. I'm so sorry to hear this news. Bless their families and especially Joseph's father and who never gave up. This is so sad.

I got a notification of this on my phone and just tuned in to the 6:00 pm news. They said the bodies were found close to the area of the car. How can this be? They had SAR and several searches during that time. The search was immediately conducted near the car.

I'm pretty sure as is everyone else it's Rachael and Jospeh. RIP. I'm so sorry to hear this news. Bless their families and especially Joseph's father and who never gave up. This is so sad.

print article says found north of the maze trail.. that would be towards north mountain trail which was a speculation they might have gone that way.

I hoped than had eloped or something. Darn it. :(

I would have preferred for it to turn out they were secretly drug dealers-turned-US Marshall informants in the witness protection program rather than this.... Of course this makes the most sense-- that they were in the park all along. We will probably find out they were taking shelter beneath a rock or somehow otherwise obscured by the landscape. Still. So. Dang. Heartbreaking. Two young lives gone too soon. :tears:

RIP Rachel and Joseph :rose::rose:

Glad that the families will have closure unlike so many others. Another sad reminder of how quickly things can go wrong.

RIP Joseph and Rachel.

This is so sad. Most people seem to underestimate how easy it is to get lost even when you're on a trail. It has to be even easier in the desert with such extreme heat.

Is anyone here familiar with the park? I'm curious as to why it took so long to find their bodies. I'm assuming this means they were a reasonable distance off the trail.

Frankly I'm glad they were found as the family can have closure. I do wonder about the drugs that were found. This is not a place to mess around with. I've done hallucinogens many years ago and if anything should be done in a controlled and familiar environment. I can't imagine someone doing it out there, if that was the case. It's a whole other world.

For reasons why it took so long, just read through the thread. The landscape can change drastically and it's easy to lose your bearings and where you are, especially for a novice hiker.

Saddened to read this. Closure for Family perhaps is all one can ask
For.

One of you did an amazing job with the maps and areas searched. Could you please post again with where “ north” of loop would be ( including past data of footprints, car and glasses)?

Frankly I'm glad they were found as the family can have closure. I do wonder about the drugs that were found. This is not a place to mess around with. I've done hallucinogens many years ago and if anything should be done in a controlled and familiar environment. I can't imagine someone doing it out there, if that was the case. It's a whole other world.

For reasons why it took so long, just read through the thread. The landscape can change drastically and it's easy to lose your bearings and where you are, especially for a novice hiker.

I've wondered about hallucinogens too. They definitely change your perception pretty drastically. I can't imagine hiking under the influence of them! Maybe they weren't using them on the hike though and they really did just get lost.

I know it's easy to get lost out there, I'm just surprised at how long it took to find their bodies.

I know it's easy to get lost out there, I'm just surprised at how long it took to find their bodies.

That is what is so surprising to me, that it took so long. SAR was out there every weekend for a month. They worked during weekdays, search parties were everywhere out there looking for them.

Unless like another poster said, they were sheltered under a Rock and expired there, how did they get missed in the early days when they were still alive?

That is what is so surprising to me, that it took so long. SAR was out there every weekend for a month. They worked during weekdays, search parties were everywhere out there looking for them.

Unless like another poster said, they were sheltered under a Rock and expired there, how did they get missed in the early days when they were still alive?

Sadly, they may not have been alive still in the early days of the search. The heat was intense when they went missing. If they went for a hike without enough water and other survival supplies they may not have lasted the first 24 hours. :(

Rachel and Joseph, I am so sorry to you and your loved ones. Despite the sadness, I'm relieved that your families will be able to lay both of you to rest. You each have touched my heart deeply, as has Joseph's wonderful father and the efforts of the other searchers who didn't give up. The difficulty of finding the lost in such a vast place is so easily misunderstood. Much love.

:cry:

Godspeed, Rachel
Godspeed, Joseph

I am so very sorry.
Prayers of condolences and strength for their families, loved ones and friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maylon