Found Deceased CA - Rachel Nguyen, 20, & Joseph Orbeso, 21, Joshua Tree Nat'l Park, 27 July 2017 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here’s a little more information from the Joshua Tree Search and Rescue group FB.

“JOSAR found two bodies in the National Park yesterday on the north side of the Maze Trail system. They were found in a rugged canyon with boulders (towards highway 62 direction) and down from the Maze. The father of the boy was with JOSAR when they were found.”

https://www.facebook.com/josarorg/posts/1591701240937732

Sorry to be graphic but I'm wondering whether these are skeletal remains or whether the dry heat has led to some kind of mummification? I'm asking because if they are skeletal it will be difficult to determine cod.

I too apologize for what I’m about to say but yes, I believe in that heat, the skin doesn’t quite decay but rather dries out appearing like loose skin. From what I’ve been told (heard dr speaking on body farm podcast) it’s said that it looks more like the people are wearing shirts, but it's just their skin.

So dad probably saw enough to recognize his son... albeit not “mummified” condition.

Thank you 2bees. I can't imagine how Joseph's poor dad must be feeling now. For two and half months he was out there looking for his son, and Rachel, and now he found him, and then to see him in that condition, it must be such a shocking, devastating moment, I would imagine. It takes a strong character to do what he did. Blessings to him.

Glad to hear they were found, it's a relief for everyone to have closure.

I wish they hadn't gone in the first place: it's not an official trail because it's such a maze, plus it was a 100 degree day. People need to realize there's a good chance they could die in that situation, and just not go out there.

Thank you 2bees. I can't imagine how Joseph's poor dad must be feeling now. For two and half months he was out there looking for his son, and Rachel, and now he found him, and then to see him in that condition, it must be such a shocking, devastating moment, I would imagine. It takes a strong character to do what he did. Blessings to him.

And to think he will forever have that image of seeing their bodies in that condition forever etched in his mind.
jmo

I have noticed many news outlets are calling Rachel Joseph's girlfriend. Our searching here didn't come to that conclusion, based on early MSN reports.

They don't call it "The Maze" for nothing. But I well remember hiking and climbing at that age and I regularly did things that in retrospect weren't wise. It's part of the growing up and learning process but sometimes it comes with risk we can't overcome. I'm so glad the family has closure. My hat off to the dedication of his father. That's a love that can never be forgotten.

They were found in an embrace. They knew ..... :tantrum: I'm heart broken.
Oh no!! While I figured this was going to be their demise, I had hopes of a different outcome ...And to be found in an embrace..With dad there....well, this just breaks my heart

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

Wishing peace for Rachel and Joseph and and healing for their families and friends. Such a sad loss - they were just youngsters really (from this old crone's perspective). :rose: :rose:

I hope autopsies give some final answers.

Very sad ending, but I'm glad the families now have closure. Here is a link to the progression of the search from the time they were lost until Gilbert Orbeso and the volunteers found them. There is a photo of a map at the very end of the areas that were searched in the earlier days. I can't tell where they were found based on the news: http://www.jttortoisetelegraph.com/...9/Couple-Missing-in-Joshua-Tree-National-Park

I have visited Joshua Tree NP the past five years, but only in the spring and fall. The summers are too hot and you can easily succumb to dehydration, exhaustion within a few hours even when it's not in the summer heat. Once in the canyons its very easy to get disoriented, to confuse north with south, identify with a peak you thought was a landmark of where you parked, or accidentally follow a wash you thought was a trail. I hope future hikers become more aware of the dangers associated with hiking in the desert and tell a friend where they're going, when they expect to be back, and to designate a time to say they're in trouble. May Joseph Orbeso and Rachel Nguyen rest in peace.

It makes me sad to think they heard and saw the search planes, and probably waited for someone to come get them. :(

I've been reading this discussion anonymously for awhile and decided to make an account to join in.

Just wanted to share this news article that describes how Joseph's dad is coping with the lost and a few more details on where they were found: http://www.ocregister.com/2017/10/1...-joshua-tree-shows-sons-kindness-father-says/

What Joseph's dad said about him and how he wants him to be remembered as was very touching.

In the article, it says that the pair were "seeking shade under the brush".

This might sound like a dumb question, but what is a brush ?

Or is it a typo for bush ?

I also want to say that I was acquainted with Rachel in 2009. We were in the same class for Vietnamese School (it's a Saturday School program). She was a pretty cool classmate and I remember talking to her and this other friend during break and in class often. It was so unexpected to think she would die so young, early, and tragically.

Unfortunately, we were not able to stay in touch. I stopped going to Viet School and we went to different public schools. We were connected through Myspace and unfortunately not Facebook because by the time we both got one, it was a long time since we got acquainted and we weren't ever too close to being with. I would see her around the city from time to time throughout the years, but didn't greet her since I doubted she would remember me.

RIP Rachel. It was nice crossing paths with you at one point. You were a very cool classmate = )

RIP Joseph. We've never met, but I'm sure you were a great person and will always be missed and remembered by the people you've met.

“I want Joseph to be remembered as a kind, caring and thoughtful person,” :heartbeat:Gilbert Orbeso wrote in an email to Southern California News Group. “The way he was found beside Rachel holding her as they were seeking shade under the brush says everything you need to know about him as a man and as a human being. I am proud to be his father and his kindness will live on in me and those who knew him best."

http://www.ocregister.com/2017/10/1...-joshua-tree-shows-sons-kindness-father-says/

I'm not trying to stir a pot or anything, but I noticed the absence of mentioning Gilbert Orbesso, who was out there every single search looking for Rachel as well as Joseph. He was diligent and never gave up.

I have to wonder if the Nguyen family blames Jospeh for taking her out there or for not getting her back safely.

Heartbreaking !

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads