Found Deceased CA - Rachel Nguyen, 20, & Joseph Orbeso, 21, Joshua Tree Nat'l Park, 27 July 2017 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Frankly I'm glad they were found as the family can have closure. I do wonder about the drugs that were found. This is not a place to mess around with. I've done hallucinogens many years ago and if anything should be done in a controlled and familiar environment. I can't imagine someone doing it out there, if that was the case. It's a whole other world.

For reasons why it took so long, just read through the thread. The landscape can change drastically and it's easy to lose your bearings and where you are, especially for a novice hiker.

Where has drugs been mentioned in this discovery of the bodies? Has this been reported? Can you please provide a link?

Where has drugs been mentioned in this discovery of the bodies? Has this been reported? Can you please provide a link?

It was found at the BnB they rented.

http://www.kesq.com/news/investigat...ers-father-continues-search-for-son/624709907

But, that doesn't stop this father from driving in from the Los Angeles area every Saturday to search for clues in the park. He tells Devine he's just recently learned that authorities had been looking into some leads concerning his son and Nguyen, including alleged sightings at another Airbnb in the area and the discovery of 4 types of hallucinogenic drugs at the house they had rented.

It was just reported in major media that two bodies have been found in the park, 2 miles off trail on the north side of the Maze Loop. The area has 30 foot cliffs and big boulders. The young man's father was part of the search group that found them. No positive identification as yet. Clothing was found prior to the bodies so likely heat related, as shedding clothing when under extreme heat duress is common.

They were found in an embrace. They knew ..... :tantrum: I'm heart broken.

They were found 11:30 p.m. Sunday a few miles from Maze Loop, where Orbeso's father found pieces of clothing, water bottles and food wrappers. He said he followed that trail to two bodies - embracing one another. The Maze Loop area is where searchers had earlier found a car belonging to the two hikers.

http://abc7.com/bodies-believed-to-be-socal-hikers-found-embracing-at-joshua-tree/2538618/

:rose: RIP Rachel and Joseph :rose:

The bodies were found among boulders down from the “maze,” toward Twentynine Palms Highway.

http://www.hidesertstar.com/news/article_149daca0-b288-11e7-a4e3-afce89d458d4.html

Now the question is what were they doing 2 miles north of the maze trail? Were they trying to get to the house or just lost?

They were found 11:30 p.m. Sunday a few miles from Maze Loop, where Orbeso's father found pieces of clothing, water bottles and food wrappers. He said he followed that trail to two bodies - embracing one another. The Maze Loop area is where searchers had earlier found a car belonging to the two hikers.

http://abc7.com/bodies-believed-to-be-socal-hikers-found-embracing-at-joshua-tree/2538618/

:rose: RIP Rachel and Joseph :rose:

The bodies were found among boulders down from the “maze,” toward Twentynine Palms Highway.

http://www.hidesertstar.com/news/article_149daca0-b288-11e7-a4e3-afce89d458d4.html

So heartbreaking. At least they were together in their last moments. :tears:

Now the question is what were they doing 2 miles north of the maze trail? Were they trying to get to the house or just lost?

It’s fairly easy to get turned around and be off trail two miles. I’m assuming lost and once realized that they were doing more harm than good by walking sat and waited.:(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't even know what to say. I guess after so many months, we pretty much figured this would be the outcome but still......

At least they have been found and there can be closure for their families. They can be memorialized and buried. It's just so sad. Both young and in the beginning of going on to do great things, all cut short.

A GPS, a sat phone, a solar charger, these are things that should be part of a hiking kit.

I know it would ruin the natural landscape of the park but even if they would allow some cell towers to be put in. Especially in areas like Maze Loop where it's so easy to get lost and get off the trail.

I dunno. I'm bummed. They were so young. :tantrum:

I don't even know what to say. I guess after so many months, we pretty much figured this would be the outcome but still......

At least they have been found and there can be closure for their families. They can be memorialized and buried. It's just so sad. Both young and in the beginning of going on to do great things, all cut short.

A GPS, a sat phone, a solar charger, these are things that should be part of a hiking kit.

I know it would ruin the natural landscape of the park but even if they would allow some cell towers to be put in. Especially in areas like Maze Loop where it's so easy to get lost and get off the trail.

I dunno. I'm bummed. They were so young. :tantrum:

Agreed re: what should be part of a hiking kit. I backpacked for a week on the Appalachian trail a few years ago and while I never got lost, i can see how all it takes is a few missteps to get lost. I can't imagine how scary it would be to lose the trail.

Didn't MSM report at one point that the searchers thought they may have been going in circles or something? I'd hate to think they passed right over the trail while they were trying to find it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Embracing ... oh man :(

Somewhere I read (maybe here or elsewhere) that dying from heat and dehydration is not a nice way to go.

I'm so sorry Rachel and Joseph. The last hours couldn't have been easy.

Rest in wonderful peace now.

As a young woman around the same age as the woman found, I usually want to get a good Instagram pic of a good view to post to show off to friends. Either at the start of the hike or after. Especially if there would be a beautiful sunset. So I definitely could see how they would go off the trail real quick. I want to know what they died from and why this area wasn’t searched even though it was just 2 miles away from the actual trail. Or was it searched and they searched it again.

Very, very sad.

RIP, Rachel and Joseph.

attachment.php

Attachments

• ourDeepestCondolence_Smaller.jpg
    ourDeepestCondolence_Smaller.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 358
So heartbreaking. Is it unusual that they were embracing in that kind of heat? It gives me hope that their demise was fast (a good thing, considering the alternative), since one wouldn't want to cling to a deceased person for long (perhaps I'm wrong on that point, having never been in such dire straits). Perhaps they were under the influence of something that made these last moments slightly less painful. Either way, wow. Shocking. And for the father to have to find and identify his own son--tragic, even though it will help him find some peace, I'm sure.

Oh no. My deepest condolences. I know we all prayed for a miracle. God bless these families and my fellow sleuthers.

Not clear if RN was also into mushrooms. She had a twitter post in early July that references pot and was following a lot of "stoner" topics. https://twitter.com/rach0de/media?lang=en.
adding on to this, here's a suggestive post from her tumblr from a few years ago (direct link
http://rach0de.tumblr.com/post/55039096813/me-in-5th-grade-i-will-never-smoke-or-drink-or-do)
Me in 5th grade: I will never smoke or drink or do any drugs ever
Me now: I probably wouldn't do meth

and joseph's public social media images are nearly all have a trippy filter/effect. They didn't seem to share social circles very much from what I could tell, at least outwardly though. Still, most likely they were simply under the influence and wandered off, but at least it doesn't appear to have been something more sinister.

Nonetheless a very sad ending to this story, the poor father...

Sorry to be graphic but I'm wondering whether these are skeletal remains or whether the dry heat has led to some kind of mummification? I'm asking because if they are skeletal it will be difficult to determine cod.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maylon