Found Deceased CA - Rachel Nguyen, 20, & Joseph Orbeso, 21, Joshua Tree Nat'l Park, 27 July 2017 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Most, if not all, of the water sources dry up in the summer. There have been several years straight (drought and desert) when there has been NO water in the usual areas. This past year we received more rain than usual. Some of those areas started to fill back up. I don't know if they would still hold any water and I do not know if any of them would be in the area this couple was hiking. There is almost no running water in the park. The restrooms are pit toilets with no running water.

Ugh. Not good.

[h=1]Friends holding out hope for missing couple at Joshua Tree: ‘It’s not impossible’[/h]
missing_couple-1.jpg

http://www.ocregister.com/2017/08/01/friends-hold-hope-missing-couple-is-found-alive-at-joshua-tree/

Quoting the article again:

"The way the tracks were picked up indicate these people could be walking in circles, which is not uncommon when people are lost,” Land said.

I wonder how old these tracks are. If they've been walking in circles, anytime since the start of the search, I wonder how thermal didn't pick them up. I know JT has a lot of large rock areas, particularly this trail, but they can't be wandering and hidden amongst them at the same time. I trust the professionals have been looking for such movement at night too.

Compared to many national parks, even with the boulders, it's still desert and very open. It makes it hard to hold out hope this far in, but I pray I'm wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quoting the article again:

"The way the tracks were picked up indicate these people could be walking in circles, which is not uncommon when people are lost,” Land said.

I wonder how old these tracks are. If they've been walking in circles, anytime since the start of the search, I wonder how thermal didn't pick them up. I know JT has a lot of large rock areas, particularly this trail, but they can't be wandering and hidden amongst them at the same time. I trust the professionals have been looking for such movement at night too.

Compared to many national parks, even with the boulders, it's still desert and very open. It makes it hard to hold out hope this far in, but I pray I'm wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would surmise this portion--> "could be walking in circles" to mean the tracts they did find were not in a straight line thereby the congecture "could be".

Previously in this thread, someone mentioned they possibly kept the car running while they went on a short hike and when they came back it was overheated. How far would they have to walk to get out of the park or to get assistance? What's the possibility they aren't there at all, but sought help from the wrong person? Could that be why his phone pinged? After that maybe it was destroyed or he was forced to turn it off? Which is very scary if they are focusing all their efforts in the park.

Previously in this thread, someone mentioned they possibly kept the car running while they went on a short hike and when they came back it was overheated. How far would they have to walk to get out of the park or to get assistance? What's the possibility they aren't there at all, but sought help from the wrong person? Could that be why his phone pinged? After that maybe it was destroyed or he was forced to turn it off? Which is very scary if they are focusing all their efforts in the park.

According to several articles they were only 1.5 miles into the park and the trailhead is on the main road through the park. If I am understanding everything correctly, they would not have to walk far at all and if they stayed on the main road they would definitely come across a ranger or fellow visitor fairly soon...assuming this happened during the day and not over night.

According to several articles they were only 1.5 miles into the park and the trailhead is on the main road through the park. If I am understanding everything correctly, they would not have to walk far at all and if they stayed on the main road they would definitely come across a ranger or fellow visitor fairly soon...assuming this happened during the day and not over night.

I did read the 1.5 miles thing, but I think I misunderstood what I read. Thanks!

the airbnb didn't know something was amiss till 11am.. so unless it was an early morning hike, they spent the prior night out there with no one the wiser..

Today I did a foolish thing, but I am fine now. I went on a bicycle ride (not alone), and it was 102*-105* out. I had water, had been drinking water all day, and a hat and sunglasses on. At first I was fine, pushed myself pretty hard on the ride, but after quite a few miles and about 40 minutes, I realized my mistake. And, I still had to get back. There was no shade, the sun was bearing down, I was in the boonies, and I knew I had made a completely poor choice. The whole time after I started getting dizzy, I was thinking about this couple and the things I've read here. For such a short stint in evil conditions, I could see that a person would quickly diminish in thoughts and abilities in a relatively short time. I was only out there for about 1 1/2 hours overall, but since I had worked myself so rigorously, it really kicked my butt. After stopping a ton along the way back, and going super slow because it's all I had left in me, I got to my driveway, stripped off everything that wasn't covering my naughty bits, and got myself inside the house. Someone else went out and get my things and put my bike away. I could barely walk, and I just didn't care. I really was not too far away from a heat stroke, but that didn't happen so no worries now. All the riders had some level of heat issues and regrets on our ride today. It was foolish. I can't image doing it all day, day in and day out, with little to no water.

I guess my main point to this posting is to say, if they are out in that desert, I do not think they are still alive. I don't see how they could be.

Today I did a foolish thing, but I am fine now. I went on a bicycle ride (not alone), and it was 102*-105* out. I had water, had been drinking water all day, and a hat and sunglasses on. At first I was fine, pushed myself pretty hard on the ride, but after quite a few miles and about 40 minutes, I realized my mistake. And, I still had to get back. There was no shade, the sun was bearing down, I was in the boonies, and I knew I had made a completely poor choice. The whole time after I started getting dizzy, I was thinking about this couple and the things I've read here. For such a short stint in evil conditions, I could see that a person would quickly diminish in thoughts and abilities in a relatively short time. I was only out there for about 1 1/2 hours overall, but since I had worked myself so rigorously, it really kicked my butt. After stopping a ton along the way back, and going super slow because it's all I had left in me, I got to my driveway, stripped off everything that wasn't covering my naughty bits, and got myself inside the house. Someone else went out and get my things and put my bike away. I could barely walk, and I just didn't care. I really was not too far away from a heat stroke, but that didn't happen so no worries now. All the riders had some level of heat issues and regrets on our ride today. It was foolish. I can't image doing it all day, day in and day out, with little to no water.

I guess my main point to this posting is to say, if they are out in that desert, I do not think they are still alive. I don't see how they could be.
As an experienced cyclist all I can say is that you "bonked". And it happens quite often when your body runs out of fuel, the high temps didn't help at all. Glad you're ok.

Why is foul play not suspected? A couple of weird things. The airbnb owner said it looked like the couple didn't spend the nigh on Thursday. A hiker said they didn't not see their car Thurs night when they finished their hike but another hiker said it was there Friday morning at 6am and saw no sign of them.

If they spent the night at the bnb they likely would have charged their phones for the morning.

His phone pinged in the park Thurs at 4pm so they were already there doing some hiking and leaving footprints etc. What if they left and then returned to the park at night to do some of the infamous stargazing at Joshua Park? A car could have driven by, saw their lone car there and taken the opportunity for foul play.

Has their been an explanation for the popped hood yet?

I hope they haven't ruled anything out.

Why is foul play not suspected? A couple of weird things. The airbnb owner said it looked like the couple didn't spend the nigh on Thursday. A hiker said they didn't not see their car Thurs night when they finished their hike but another hiker said it was there Friday morning at 6am and saw no sign of them.

If they spent the night at the bnb they likely would have charged their phones for the morning.

His phone pinged in the park Thurs at 4pm so they were already there doing some hiking and leaving footprints etc. What if they left and then returned to the park at night to do some of the infamous stargazing at Joshua Park? A car could have driven by, saw their lone car there and taken the opportunity for foul play.

or nefarious activity occurred at the bnb or elsewhere and the car was placed at the trail head to divert attention

As an experienced cyclist all I can say is that you "bonked". And it happens quite often when your body runs out of fuel, the high temps didn't help at all. Glad you're ok.
I just looked that up and read around. Sounds like that's exactly what happened. Weird. Thanks, it was interesting and good information. :)

Good potential theory. It makes sense to me. When we visit JT we go out after dusk to setup blankets and watch the stars into the night.

Hiking during the day in July is not very reasonable.

Great first post and :welcome: to WS....sorry it is such a sad subject...

What if they left and then returned to the park at night to do some of the infamous stargazing at Joshua Park? A car could have driven by, saw their lone car there and taken the opportunity for foul play.
Good potential theory. It makes sense to me. When we visit JT we go out after dusk to setup blankets and watch the stars into the night.

How often do you go to Joshua Tree?

Does the park have any resident squatters? Though a very experienced hiker said on another thread (Grand Canyon, missing girl, determined to have fallen of a cliff) that the Grand Canyon and other National Parks he goes to are well patrolled and do not have any squatter colonies, I am aware that these colonies do exist on BLM land and State / National Forests in the southern California deserts.

A certain number of these squatters mix political ideologies (either right or left) with drugs and alcohol, then add a little criminality to the mix. As a result, they can be pretty unpredictable. Have you seen any in and around Joshua Tree?
Previously in this thread, someone mentioned they possibly kept the car running while they went on a short hike and when they came back it was overheated. How far would they have to walk to get out of the park or to get assistance?
The difficulty with Joshua Tree is that with bad luck, one can walk out of the established park, then need to cross through the middle of no where before one gets to a road.

I know the possibility of abduction can be a possibility of many, but I think the fresh tracks leading away from the car are a good indicator that they went on a little hike ... that turned out badly.

http://www.presstelegram.com/genera...-man-westminster-woman-missing-at-joshua-tree

Some pieces of the article are listed below:
Authorities were alerted when the inn’s operator determined that Nguyen and Orbeso hadn’t checked out mid-morning Friday and found clothing, an iPad, and food in a refrigerator in their room.

Their car was near the Maze Loop, in the northwest area of the park, and fresh footprints were discovered leading away from the vehicle.

The disappearance has sparked the largest search at Joshua Tree National Park since September 2010 when Edward Rosenthal, 64, of Culver City was found alive after going missing for six days.

Authorities believe that Nguyen and Orbeso weren’t experienced hiking in Joshua Tree, which stretches across 790,000 acres, a region slightly larger than Rhode Island.

Orbeso, who attended Lakewood High School, took Nguyen to Joshua Tree National Park to celebrate her birthday, said Young, adding the pair had dated but most recently were friends.

Orbeso, a security guard at a Long Beach golf course, loves the outdoors. “He’s in very good shape, always carries knives when hiking and is a survivalist,” Young said. “He is also the most respectful, honest, and straight-forward person you will ever meet.”

The search for Nguyen and Orbeso will continue the rest of the week, even though the heat and the unforgiving terrain makes long-term survival in Joshua Tree National Park difficult, Land said.

If they used the sun as their guide, due west (or even south) is Parks Blvd., a paved road. Due north is highway 62. East is a little harder because there are paved trails, but they are pretty far away.

I hope LE is having someone patrol those roads in case these two did happen to find a road and are following it.

If they used the sun as their guide, due west (or even south) is Parks Blvd., a paved road. Due north is highway 62. East is a little harder because there are paved trails, but they are pretty far away.

I hope LE is having someone patrol those roads in case these two did happen to find a road and are following it.

I guess they could have made it to those roads and met foul play, that would be sad. At what point would one consider NAMUS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member