CA - Rebecca Nalepa - suicide or murder? #8

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently he had a spinal injury. Which is what I believed from the start, because his symptoms didn't appear to fit with just the head trauma. The spinal injury prevented him from breathing. Nothing to suggest he was there for "some time" without any help.

Well, she WAS trained as an assistant to an eye examiner; she ought to have been able to tend to a critical spinal cord injury no problem.

OK, now I'm just getting snarky.......:banghead:

I am not so sure the parents didn't blame her. As a matter of fact I think JS and probably DS DID blame her, which is why she was so distraught.

He should not have been allowed to run and jump around at the top of that dangerous staircase. End of story. And accident or not, that is what he was doing. He should not have been allowed to play up there all alone, totally unsupervised, if he did not have the self control necessary to avoid such a tragic outcome. This was a dangerous, un-child proofed home. I would not have left a 6 yr old alone at the top of those stairs.

Who do you think is supposed to child proof a home?

She was apparently the responsible adult in charge of the 6 yr old in the home. That makes her the babysitter or caregiver for the day. Was it true that he ran off the staircase, over the top and landed on the chandelier? ? That should not have happened. He should have been more closely supervised than that.

bbm

Is a caregiver not allowed to go to the bathroom? Should Rebecca have insisted that Max go into the bathroom with her?

As far as the ridiculous scenario offered by LE about Max "running" and "falling" over the railing - ?????????????

the venom and judgemental nature of some of the posters here reminds me once again that there are people in this world who will sue your azz off at the drop of a hat , so watch out ! :floorlaugh:

Rebecca was a grown woman, trained in a medical field.

I think it is absurd to blame Jonah.

Trained in the medical field?

I do not think I am trashing her. I am simply saying that I can see why she might have felt guilty after his death. I think there might have been some negligence if she was not supervising him well enough to prevent him from going over the upper staircase balcony. This is not your regular family home, where you could leave a 6 yr old alone while you went to the bathroom. This home had dangerous staircases and 27 rooms. It requires more supervision than the average home, imo.

I seemed to hear LE state that this was an accident and that by the nature of Max and his behaviors, they could not justify a belief that he was jumping off the balcony to try and hang on to the chandelier, but instead used it to try and break his fall. The repeated again that Maxie was not the kind of child that would show a behavior of doing something like sliding down the bannister or jumping off the staircase. (paraphrased, not a quote). They stated he could have been running, kicking a ball or been pushed by Ocean. Not that he wad attempting a stunt.

If that is true, and LE or family didn't find Rebecca negligent, why are you? I do find this to be trashing language.

Well, she WAS trained as an assistant to an eye examiner; she ought to have been able to tend to a critical spinal cord injury no problem.

The usatoday article says his upper cervical spinal was injured. I am not sure if that means his neck was broken or not? It might be that no CPR would do any good.

I am not so sure the parents didn't blame her. As a matter of fact I think JS and probably DS DID blame her, which is why she was so distraught.

He should not have been allowed to run and jump around at the top of that dangerous staircase. End of story. And accident or not, that is what he was doing. He should not have been allowed to play up there all alone, totally unsupervised, if he did not have the self control necessary to avoid such a tragic outcome. This was a dangerous, un-child proofed home. I would not have left a 6 yr old alone at the top of those stairs.

Wasn't it even surmised that Shacknai had replaced the plush carpeting (seen in all the staircase pictures) with marble floors?!!. If so, that's not too smart when you have wild kids.

Yeah, this theory of the tying doesn't make as much sense to me as what I've read from several other posters. They suggested that she could have tied her hands and then stepped through them, to move her hands from tied in front of her to tied in back of her. If she left enough slack, it would pretty straightforward to tie her hands, then tie her feet, then step through her hands. I'm assuming she'd have to have placed the noose on her neck before starting to tie her hands, though maybe there's another way to do that too.

I know from reading Ocean's post that people who commit suicide by hanging do tie their feet. I don't understand why, and I feel like a lot of other "non rational" suicide behaviors can be understood, if only in the mindset of someone who's in a lot of pain. For example, committing suicide in the nude could be a way to link death with birth, sort of like leaving the world as you came into it.

Perhaps, in the end, it doesn't matter why she made the choices that she made, only that they were the expression of a tremendous amount of pain.

The more fantastical, fictional conspiracy theory side of me has thought that BigPharma + the deaths of the child and girlfriend of JS could have something to do with some revenge against JS. But I'm pretty sure that's just a tv/book explanation, and not what happened here.

I do not think many people bind their feet during a suicide. Especially if you rule out accidental suicides/autoerotic asphyxiation.

Who do you think is supposed to child proof a home?

The parents are. But IF I AM THEIR CARETAKER FOR THE DAY, then it is up to me. If a parent does not put a fence around a pool, do I ignore that, or do I make sure the kid never gets near the water?

They should have had a higher railing to prevent an accident like this. but they didn't, and RN was in charge that day. And for whatever reason,Max was left all alone at the top of those dangerous stairs.

:floorlaugh::crazy: Thank you for giving me a laugh!! I needed that!

bbm

Is a caregiver not allowed to go to the bathroom? Should Rebecca have insisted that Max go into the bathroom with her?

As far as the ridiculous scenario offered by LE about Max "running" and "falling" over the railing - ?????????????

Sure a caregiver is allowed to use the bathroom. They are supposed to ensure the safety of the child before doing so.

I do not think many people bind their feet during a suicide. Especially if you rule out accidental suicides/autoerotic asphyxiation.

This clearly was a very unique suicide.

bbm

What, this wasn't dispositive enough evidence for you?:

http://www.sdsheriff.net/coronado/images/ms01.jpg

No wonder it took 6 weeks to flesh this one out. That's some darn fine animation!

I simply responded to your assumptions that Rebecca was running around the house naked. There is no evidence whatsoever to suggest she was doing this in the presence of the brother but even if she did, it doesn't matter to me. She hanged herself naked outside so apparently she didn't care who saw her nude body.

The last comment is not cool.

can it be possible for LE to play it safe and decided it was suicide since the available evidence can suit the suicide theory ? The big question is whether the evidence was convincing enough ? or did the available evidence give rise instead to more questions and suspicions ?

Is it possible for any big and powerful stockholders of the pharma company to exert pressure directly or indrectly on a government agency ? Are there any big stockholders who are San Diego-based who can exert pressure ?

Trained in the medical field?

I seemed to hear LE state that this was an accident and that by the nature of Max and his behaviors, they could not justify a belief that he was jumping off the balcony to try and hang on to the chandelier, but instead used it to try and break his fall. The repeated again that Maxie was not the kind of child that would show a behavior of doing something like sliding down the bannister or jumping off the staircase. (paraphrased, not a quote). They stated he could have been running, kicking a ball or been pushed by Ocean. Not that he wad attempting a stunt.

If that is true, and LE or family didn't find Rebecca negligent, why are you? I do find this to be trashing language.

Show me anywhere that I have 'trashed' her. I feel very sorry for her and for the tragic circumstances surrounding her death. But that doesn't change the fact that Max was not being supervised as closely as necessary considering the fact that he ended up at the bottom of the staircase with a broken neck. When I look at those stairs I see a very dangerous situation and I would not want him to be playing alone at the top of the staircase. That is not trashing her, it is just explaining her actions after the fact. I think she felt guilty because of what happened. And also angry that JS put the entire blame on her, imo/

Thing is, the ME could NOT find another case like this, where the person bound themselves and hung the,selves nude, outdoors. Fro, the start Rebecca's family has stated she was modest and no one has discounted that.

I didn't get to watch the press conference, so I'm wondering if the ME was speaking only about cases in San Diego County? I could easily believe that the manner of suicide would be unusual in any given county, but I wonder what the nation-wide, or world-wide statistics would be about this kind of suicide.

I have no reason to doubt that Rebecca was modest. But I also think that when you enter the mental state where you are going through with a suicide, a lot of a person's usual behaviors like modesty, or concern for the feelings of others, just get drowned out by the horrible storm of negative emotions that you're is feeling.

It doesn't surprise me that Rebecca would kill herself after Max's death. The manner in which she tied her feet gives me pause, but stranger things have happened, obviously.

I didn't get to watch the press conference, so I'm wondering if the ME was speaking only about cases in San Diego County? I could easily believe that the manner of suicide would be unusual in any given county, but I wonder what the nation-wide, or world-wide statistics would be about this kind of suicide.

I have no reason to doubt that Rebecca was modest. But I also think that when you enter the mental state where you are going through with a suicide, a lot of a person's usual behaviors like modesty, or concern for the feelings of others, just get drowned out by the horrible storm of negative emotions that you're is feeling.

It doesn't surprise me that Rebecca would kill herself after Max's death. The manner in which she tied her feet gives me pause, but stranger things have happened, obviously.

I don't believe there are any suicides quite like this one in the whole country. The only one I feel is similar I is the census guy's suicide, but he was allegedly trying to stage it like murder on purpose (so his family could get the insurance money).

Was it ever clarified if MS had ADD or some form of slight autism or whatever? Under that circumstance perhaps JS ought to have had more professional child care help than his 32 year old fashion plate trophy girlfriend and (as The lead investigator termed it) health nut?

And, a 6 year old kid engaging in........"horseplay"? who ever heard of such a thing! Must have been Becky's fault I guess.

I think LE was asked that questioned and they said Maxfield was a bright, happy, normal 6 year old.

IMO

Show me anywhere that I have 'trashed' her. I feel very sorry for her and for the tragic circumstances surrounding her death. But that doesn't change the fact that Max was not being supervised as closely as necessary considering the fact that he ended up at the bottom of the staircase with a broken neck. When I look at those stairs I see a very dangerous situation and I would not want him to be playing alone at the top of the staircase. That is not trashing her, it is just explaining her actions after the fact. I think she felt guilty because of what happened. And also angry that JS put the entire blame on her, imo/

She might well have felt guilty regarding even the mere possibility that her dog had caused the fall. And not knowing for sure but having that gnawing doubt might have even been more tortuous to her mental and emotional state.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clm79