CA - Rebecca Zahau Wrongful Death Revisited 2019

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
After Rebecca's cell phone was collected and booked into evidence, well it was seized by SDSD. Weeks later someone charged her phone and there were 2 calls made. This was all done after her murder. The 2 calls were made to her voicemail, there is no documentation in any report that I have read where it was noted this was done. Also while Rebecca's phone was in the custody of SDSD there was over 21,000KB of data remotely deleted or extracted. Later after a forensic exam was conducted all the data was incorrect. The phone numbers for her parents and Mary were not the correct numbers. We know this from Rebecca's cell phone records. SDSD does not have these records and never issued a search warrant on her phone. Rebecca's phone had been tampered with.
Oh my...I’m without words on that, Burma.

I absolutely admire the analysis by several of you of the 911 call-- and your comments are right on the money--there is so much wrong with that 911 call--
I also believe that there will be no justice for Rebecca---and I hate to say that--
I’m still wondering about the other voice on the 911 call that was located in the last documentary. I can’t let it go. I know they still do not know who that was.

@Burma And the possibility of Jonah asking Adam to murder Rebecca has been ruled out? JS ‘s reaction to her death always seemed odd to me, like they planned the response that her suicide was the honorable thing to do culturally. That’s your reaction when your girlfriend kills herself? It has never settled well with me.

Jonah has donated to a lot of candidates from both parties, for many years. He socializes in those circles and has for many years.

Donor Lookup

That is true. But I don’t see Kamala Harris on the link you provided. Is there another link?

Really?
It's all public record. Harris, Gore, and many more.
BBM

I don’t see Harris at that link. He contributed to Al Gore, not Bill Gore, according to that link.

Another situation where money talks! Rich brother, Jonah Shacknai contributed how much money to Gore’s reelection campaign? Of course, we will never know! The one thing we can be sure of is as long as Gore is in office his department will want for nothing! IMO.

Perhaps an outside accounting firm needs to do an audit of Gores’s office and department. Also, Gore’s personal accounts. That is only a dream, it will never happen! :mad:
BBM

Don’t worry about audits. I don’t think Jonah publicly supported Bill Gore’s re-election campaign. According to the link, it was Al Gore. I’m not defending Jonah, but we are better off if we state facts IMO. Of course, money could have passed to Bill Gore through PACs but we don’t know that. All we know is that Bill Gore’s investigation benefitted Jonah. We don’t know why. It could even have been coincidental incompetence! Or the hope for favors from Shaknai.

That is true. But I don’t see Kamala Harris on the link you provided. Is there another link?

BBM

I don’t see Harris at that link. He contributed to Al Gore, not Bill Gore, according to that link.

BBM

Don’t worry about audits. I don’t think Jonah publicly supported Bill Gore’s re-election campaign. According to the link, it was Al Gore. I’m not defending Jonah, but we are better off if we state facts IMO. Of course, money could have passed to Bill Gore through PACs but we don’t know that. All we know is that Bill Gore’s investigation benefitted Jonah. We don’t know why. It could even have been coincidental incompetence! Or the hope for favors from Shaknai.

I am not usually a conspiracy theorist type of person, but honestly, in this case, there is so much wrong here that you just have to wonder why the police and ME were so quick to call this a suicide. it just doesn't make sense.

I am not usually a conspiracy theorist type of person, but honestly, in this case, there is so much wrong here that you just have to wonder why the police and ME were so quick to call this a suicide. it just doesn't make sense.

Oh, I absolutely wonder why they were so quick to call it suicide. And I agree something is very wrong. I’m just not sure it’s campaign contributions. Of course the same department got the McStay Family case all wrong too.

Heads up on this article - it's satire. It's from the "Almost Factual News" page from the San Diego Reader. It's a recurring feature, like a column. I'm sure that'll be clear if you read the thing, but for those who skimmed it, you can relax. Our coroner really isn't named Bozo.

P.S. Great job, Burma! This means you have the city's attention!

BBM

BBM

Yes, those records represent donations made to federal candidates. At the time, Harris was a state official, so donor records wouldn't appear there. Same for Gore. The point is that JS was a well known donor in California political circles. He spent quite a bit of time circulating in the local political circles in San Diego. It's in the Oxygen special about RZ. It's fair to speculate that its possible KH considered JS's status in the community when making her decision. She would have known who he was.

JMO

Yes, the murder was handled in a very unusual way from the start. It aroused everyone's suspicion, including the news media. The nudity, bindings, message crudely painted on the door, RZ's body left outdoors and uncovered for so many hours. Not good.

ETA: If it helps, here's the link to the 2011 thread here discussing the 911 call.

911 call - 1043 Ocean Blvd.

Here's Cynic's transcript of the call, including background noises

911 call - 1043 Ocean Blvd.

Cynic's enhanced versions of the 911 call are still on YouTube

Last edited:
Yes, those records represent donations made to federal candidates. At the time, Harris was a state official, so donor records wouldn't appear there. Same for Gore. The point is that JS was a well known donor in California political circles. He spent quite a bit of time circulating in the local political circles in San Diego. It's in the Oxygen special about RZ. It's fair to speculate that its possible KH considered JS's status in the community when making her decision. She would have known who he was.

JMO

Thanks, I missed that it was about only federal candidates.

Heads up on this article - it's satire. It's from the "Almost Factual News" page from the San Diego Reader. It's a recurring feature, like a column. I'm sure that'll be clear if you read the thing, but for those who skimmed it, you can relax. Our coroner really isn't named Bozo.

P.S. Great job, Burma! This means you have the city's attention!

Brilliant. It had me going for a second. The scary part is that it isn’t totally out of the realm of possibility!

Thanks, I missed that it was about only federal candidates.

No problem! I should have been more clear. I wanted to be careful about offering the information. It's not known why Harris made her decision. Research JS's background and you'll also find that he worked as an important Congressional staffer in his younger days. He handled health & environmental legislation in those days and was Chief of Staff for Rep. Jim Scheuer. Supposedly he gained a lot from that experience that helped him when he established his company, Medicis. That experience probably helped him get the necessary FDA approval for his acne treatments and the anti-wrinkle treatment Restalayne. He actually wrote a novel about his experiences on the Hill.

Two Mysterious Deaths in a Millionaire's Mansion

A Investigation Into the Deaths of Max Shacknai and Rebecca Zahau in Coronado, California

A couple of more observation re 911

lifted from a blog

Foolsfeedonfolly said...

Adam repeats to the 911 dispatcher that:
"I got a girl, hung herself in the guest house." (Note:location)
"A lady just hung herself." (Note: location missing)
"She hung herself- I just woke up." (Note: location missing)
- Operator: "Is it a house?
-Adam: "It's a house, yeah." (Note: While the 911 dispatcher is likely trying to determine if this is a house as opposed to an apartment building, the location is no longer "the guest house"). The Shacknai estate has both a physical main house and a guest house, so which one is Adam calling from?

The location matters because "Shacknai, a tugboat pilot from Memphis, Tennessee, was staying in the mansion's guest house after arriving in California following his nephew's injury."

According to Dina Shacknai (Jonah Shacknai's ex-wife)"Adam agreed to sleep in the guesthouse."

Then, according to his [Adam Shacknai's] deposition, he [Adam] wished her[Rebecca Zahua] good night, called his girlfriend, took an Ambien, and went to sleep around 8 p.m.". Early the next morning he decided to get some coffee in the main house. But when he walked toward the mansion he saw Rebecca’s naked body hanging by a red rope from a second-story balcony.
------------------------------
Remember, Adam told the 911 Dispatcher: "I got a girl, hung herself in the guest house."

But Rebecca was found outside the main house.

I think whatever happened, happened (or began) in the guest house in Adam's verbalized perception of reality...and Adam places himself in the guest house, with only he and Rebecca Zahua on the mansion grounds.
August 24, 2019 at 9:03 PM

Something else...

The first thing Adam tells the 911 Dispatcher after "Yeah. I got a girl..." is "she hung herself." When he's transferred to the Fire and Medical Operator, the first thing he says is "A lady just hung herself." When the Fire and Medical Operator asks, "Ok, what's wrong?", Adam responds with, "She hung herself-I just woke up."

Priority: establishing that a girl/a lady/she hung herself
-Injured person has no name.

-He does not ask for help for either her or himself.

-He does not verbalize any urgency, yet he came upon a girl/a lady/ she hanging.-Verbally, the injured still hanging.

-He stalls with the address, saying "Uh, I'm not sure. Let me call you back".- Delaying help. He's on a cell phone that can be triangulated and he wants the Operator to believe that he doesn't even know the street name. He's a tug boat captain, someone who's profession is very dependent on directions, location, destination.

-He repeatedly stalls with the address.

-He tells the 911 Dispatcher he's "Doing CPR right now."-Dropped pronoun and he hasn't told to the Dispatcher that she's injured, much less in need of CPR.- Need to be seen as being helpful.

-Still stalling over the address, when the Dispatcher asks, "Can you tell me what the address is?", he responds, "I'm looking..." (Who stops CPR on a person who's hung themselves to look for an address?)

*** At this point, the 911 Dispatcher's insistence on the address seems to be almost designed to see if it provokes any urgency from the caller for the injured person.

-He seemingly expresses anger/annoyance that he's being transferred to Fire and Medical, but no verbalized urgency for the injured person.

-When the Fire and Medical Operator asks, "Ok. Is she beyond help?", he responds, "[inaudible] I'm doing. I'm compressing her chest right now."- This is a yes or no question, even an opinion question ("I don't think she's breathing/She doesn't seem to be breathing/I think she's dead/etc.). Remember, he's already said he's "doing CPR" and "compressing her chest". He should be able to tell if her chest is moving or she is breathing. As a tug boat captain, it's highly likely he's CPR/First Aid certified (OSHA regulations).

-He does not offer/relay any details of her physical condition, injuries, or even her location outside of where she "hung herself", "Doing CPR.", and "I'm compressing her chest right now."

-The Fire and Medical Operator is forced to actually ask if he cut her down. It's impossible to do CPR or chest compressions on someone who's hanging from a balcony. He never verbalized cutting her down.

-He never verbalizes/evidences the strong emotional response to the trauma of finding someone hanging, any concern for potentially injuring the person in the cutting down process or concern for the injured at all.- He has no need to be concerned. Adrenaline in an actual emergency demands urgency.

**Bonus information: He responds that he cut her down, was "doing CPR", and compressing her [nude] chest, but he verbally didn't untie her hands first? Also, the autopsy did not find his fingerprints on her body. How did he manage that?

lifted from a blog

Foolsfeedonfolly said...

-Adam: "It's a house, yeah." (Note: While the 911 dispatcher is likely trying to determine if this is a house as opposed to an apartment building, the location is no longer "the guest house"). The Shacknai estate has both a physical main house and a guest house, so which one is Adam calling from?

The location matters because "Shacknai, a tugboat pilot from Memphis, Tennessee, was staying in the mansion's guest house after arriving in California following his nephew's injury."

According to Dina Shacknai (Jonah Shacknai's ex-wife)"Adam agreed to sleep in the guesthouse."

Then, according to his [Adam Shacknai's] deposition, he [Adam] wished her[Rebecca Zahua] good night, called his girlfriend, took an Ambien, and went to sleep around 8 p.m.". Early the next morning he decided to get some coffee in the main house. But when he walked toward the mansion he saw Rebecca’s naked body hanging by a red rope from a second-story balcony.
Remember, Adam told the 911 Dispatcher: "I got a girl, hung herself in the guest house."

I think whatever happened, happened (or began) in the guest house in Adam's verbalized perception of reality...and Adam places himself in the guest house, with only he and Rebecca Zahua on the mansion grounds.

Something else...

The first thing Adam tells the 911 Dispatcher after "Yeah. I got a girl..." is "she hung herself." When he's transferred to the Fire and Medical Operator, the first thing he says is "A lady just hung herself." When the Fire and Medical Operator asks, "Ok, what's wrong?", Adam responds with, "She hung herself-I just woke up."

-He does not verbalize any urgency, yet he came upon a girl/a lady/ she hanging.-Verbally, the injured still hanging.

-He stalls with the address, saying "Uh, I'm not sure. Let me call you back".- Delaying help. He's on a cell phone that can be triangulated and he wants the Operator to believe that he doesn't even know the street name. He's a tug boat captain, someone who's profession is very dependent on directions, location, destination.

-He tells the 911 Dispatcher he's "Doing CPR right now."-Dropped pronoun and he hasn't told to the Dispatcher that she's injured, much less in need of CPR.- Need to be seen as being helpful.

-Still stalling over the address, when the Dispatcher asks, "Can you tell me what the address is?", he responds, "I'm looking..." (Who stops CPR on a person who's hung themselves to look for an address?)

*** At this point, the 911 Dispatcher's insistence on the address seems to be almost designed to see if it provokes any urgency from the caller for the injured person.

-He seemingly expresses anger/annoyance that he's being transferred to Fire and Medical, but no verbalized urgency for the injured person.

-When the Fire and Medical Operator asks, "Ok. Is she beyond help?", he responds, "[inaudible] I'm doing. I'm compressing her chest right now."- This is a yes or no question, even an opinion question ("I don't think she's breathing/She doesn't seem to be breathing/I think she's dead/etc.). Remember, he's already said he's "doing CPR" and "compressing her chest". He should be able to tell if her chest is moving or she is breathing. As a tug boat captain, it's highly likely he's CPR/First Aid certified (OSHA regulations).

-He does not offer/relay any details of her physical condition, injuries, or even her location outside of where she "hung herself", "Doing CPR.", and "I'm compressing her chest right now."

-The Fire and Medical Operator is forced to actually ask if he cut her down. It's impossible to do CPR or chest compressions on someone who's hanging from a balcony. He never verbalized cutting her down.

-He never verbalizes/evidences the strong emotional response to the trauma of finding someone hanging, any concern for potentially injuring the person in the cutting down process or concern for the injured at all.- He has no need to be concerned. Adrenaline in an actual emergency demands urgency.

**Bonus information: He responds that he cut her down, was "doing CPR", and compressing her [nude] chest, but he verbally didn't untie her hands first? Also, the autopsy did not find his fingerprints on her body. How did he manage that?

lifted from a blog

Foolsfeedonfolly said...

Something else...

As I am reading the details of the 911 call, I just feel sad and frankly
Angry--angry at a police department and ME that clearly and obviously
Did not do their jobs--- the entire 911 call has so much in it that needed to be
Addressed by Adam Shacknai during an interrogation--just one item, when he
Said she hung herself in the guest house and that was not true--or when he says he
Just woke up, or when he appeared to stall in giving the address--it is just maddening that someone got away with murder, and that person is most likely
AS.

Thank you, Burma

That is a huge (Guest house) point of challenge, wow!

Yes, and the fact that Rebecca's phone and phone records may have been tampered with, changed or accessed by someone unknown is a very big red flag.

If it helps to understand the 911 call a little better, here's an overhead photo of the Spreckels Mansion complex

citylights2_lead2_t670.jpg

Yes, and the fact that Rebecca's phone and phone records may have been tampered with, changed or accessed by someone unknown is a very big red flag.

If it helps to understand the 911 call a little better, here's an overhead photo of the Spreckels Mansion complex

The part of the 911 call that I’m hung up on is that there was another voice uncovered in the background on the recording (this was in the Oxygen documentary) I’m sure the police could do the same kind of analysis. Why wasn’t that investigated? Seems like it would be a very relevant piece of info to have. Something isn’t adding up. Well I guess that’s across the board on this case.

Rebecca's phone was tampered with after her murder while it was in SDSD evidence. There was data removed from her phone and the data that was forensically examined was wrong. All the current numbers were deleted and were not there. When the SDSD typed up her phone log on their report it is different that the AT&T phone records that we have. There was over 20,000KB of data that was taken from her phone.

The part of the 911 call that I’m hung up on is that there was another voice uncovered in the background on the recording (this was in the Oxygen documentary) I’m sure the police could do the same kind of analysis. Why wasn’t that investigated? Seems like it would be a very relevant piece of info to have. Something isn’t adding up. Well I guess that’s across the board on this case.
No they did not, we asked if they would analyze the 911 call, it never happened. It would not fit in with the suicide theory they were pushing so hard for. They could not even get the knot right on the false reenactment.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glitterbag
Back