CA CA - Rose Cole, 16, Oakland, 1972 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Shadow205 said:
I might have located Colleen, Claires sister(Rose's best friend). I have PM'd the contact information to HeartofTexas. Her married name is McElrath.
Did this pan out or are we still looking for Claire or Colleen?

First, Rose's SIL has posted all letters on a website. I think everyone can access it, but I'm not sure. If you click on each individual letter, it will bring it up to a larger size. Here's the url:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/yannette0469@sbcglobal.net/album?.dir=/ee68&.src=ph&.tok=ph6AHqEBUTS0_Vbe

Did Claire give them the letters? So, they know where she is, or did she give them a long time ago? Every little piece of the puzzle helps bring her home.
Gardenmom, nobody has yet located Claire. The reason the SIL knows that Rose wrote Claire is that it's mentioned in one of Rose's letters. Several people here on WS are trying to locate Claire so that the SIL can talk to her about the letters. Of course, the letters were written 33 years ago, and it's doubtful Claire still has them... but perhaps she'll remember if there was anything important in them.

HoT,

Was SIL able to contact Colleen or her husband at that phone number that I PM'd you?

HeartofTexas said:
First, Rose's SIL has posted all letters on a website. I think everyone can access it, but I'm not sure. If you click on each individual letter, it will bring it up to a larger size. Here's the url:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/yannette0469@sbcglobal.net/album?.dir=/ee68&.src=ph&.tok=ph6AHqEBUTS0_Vbe

Gardenmom, nobody has yet located Claire. The reason the SIL knows that Rose wrote Claire is that it's mentioned in one of Rose's letters. Several people here on WS are trying to locate Claire so that the SIL can talk to her about the letters. Of course, the letters were written 33 years ago, and it's doubtful Claire still has them... but perhaps she'll remember if there was anything important in them.

Shadow205 said:
Portrait01.jpg

The Jane Doe

Rose

That Jane Doe just looks so much like Rose to me. An older Rose.
What happened with this? I am trying to catch up on everything, I am new to this case, I don't mean to be a bug...just trying to sort out what is known and what is not at this point.

HeartofTexas said:

The link does work (does this mean I don't need to work on the letters you sent me?) and they are readable. Thanks.

Shadow, this is what the SIL wrote to me yesterday re your information:

"Will let you know what I found out. . .thanks"

I haven't heard anything since then. I do know she was busy working on getting copies of the letters posted yesterday, so don't know if she made any telephone calls or not. If I hear anything, I'll let you know right away.

Christine, right, you don't need to work on the letters now! The SIL posted all of them in a smaller, yet readable, format.

RE the Jane Doe. I'm not sure where we are on the Jane Doe situation. The SIL had to file some police reports and/or missing persons reports before she could have the DNA tested against the Jane Doe. I know the SIL has filed the reports but don't know what's happened since then. The reports were filed last week I believe. The SIL did write this to me yesterday:

You know the Synanon had a place in Marin County. Jane Doe was found in Marin County. I e-mailed them and left them a voice message but no one has contact me. . .

For anyone viewing Rose's letters on the Yahoo site, here are some interesting comments from the SIL re the December 15, 1972 letter:

I think this is the most upsetting ones of all the letters.

She left the Synanon after a "game", where all she was told were lies. . .

Page 5, at the bottom of the page, "I'm being kept with nice care, and they care for me, think I am 19". She was about to turn 16 when she wrote this letter.

Page 6, "If something happens to me. . .I want to be buried in Mich, please!"

Page 2, she did write to Claire. . .

I have just read through all of the letters that SIL has posted at the other site. I had questioned before(in my mind) if maybe Rose just left Synanon and started her life over somewhere. After reading all of those letters, I do not think that. She wanted to much to see her family again. It seems that she was especially close to Billy. I cannot see her going all of these years without making contact with them. As much as I hate to say it, I beleive even more now that we need to concentrate on Jane Doe's.

HeartofTexas said:
For anyone viewing Rose's letters on the Yahoo site, here are some interesting comments from the SIL re the December 15, 1972 letter:
"I'm being kept with nice care, and they care for me, think I am 19". She was about to turn 16 when she wrote this letter.
I wondered about this statement too. Could she be referring to the underground railroad that helped people leave Synanon? I am going to be making a phone call later today and hope to obtain some information on the underground railroad. Maybe they kept some sort of records of who they assisted in leaving Synanon. I will post what I find out.

Thanks, Shadow. I look forward to hearing what you find out. All of the letters seem to be filled with "please love me, anyone please love me". They are incredibly sad, to say the least. I, too, think she would have definitely contacted someone in the family... and the fact that she hasn't does not bode well for her.

HeartofTexas said:
Christine, right, you don't need to work on the letters now! The SIL posted all of them in a smaller, yet readable, format.

RE the Jane Doe. I'm not sure where we are on the Jane Doe situation. The SIL had to file some police reports and/or missing persons reports before she could have the DNA tested against the Jane Doe. I know the SIL has filed the reports but don't know what's happened since then. The reports were filed last week I believe. The SIL did write this to me yesterday:
Thanks HOT....so, this is still a very good possibility. They look very similar to me.

HeartofTexas said:

The letter I have is not posted there, will she be adding more info to the link you posted for the letters?

I just spoke with a lady whose church assisted with the "underground railroad". She said that they never knew any names of the people who they were helping to leave Synanon. She said that they just showed up around midnight and were gone early the next morning. I got the impression that it was all done very secretively. She told me that most of them were young kids. When I told her that Rose ran away from Synanon but then in another letter was back there, she said: "Oh, they caught her!" I wish that I could have talked to her more but she was in a hurry:( to get off of the phone. She did tell me someone to call(I already had the name) that might be of more help. I have a call in to him(got an answering machine) and hope that he calls me back. I hate waiting!

Shadow, that's great work! Thank you for calling and talking with the lady who assisted with the underground railroad.

I have a few updates...

One, the SIL wanted Shadow to know that Rose's last letter was not written on Synanon stationary, and she thinks there's a pretty decent possibility that Rose did actually escape from Synanon.

Two, there is a new letter posted on the Yahoo site now. I think eventually all of them will be on the Yahoo site.

Three, this is what the SIL said re the Jane Doe:

I called the detective in California regarding Jane
Doe but he is not on duty until tomorrow. Will let
you know once I talk to him.
As I get more updates, I'll let everyone know.

The SIL emailed me a compliment for everyone, so thought I would pass it on:

HoT, I must say this again, Jesse, myself and the
rest of the family are very, very greatful of all
yours and forum's support.
Thanks to all of you for the great job you're doing!

HeartofTexas said:
The SIL emailed me a compliment for everyone, so thought I would pass it on:

Thanks to all of you for the great job you're doing!
We are all trying, let's hope we can find some answers for the family, best outcome would be to locate Rose.

I have gotten one more response from an email, it pointed me to another person....besides that, nothing at the moment.

Stay strong everyone, don't give up!

I really want to know about the Jane Doe posted, I am praying it is not Rose.

Check your PM's everyone, I need some help with something..I don't want anyone 'watching' to be onto me....you'll understand when you read PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3