GUILTY CA - Sebhrenah Wesson, 25, & 8 children murdered, Fresno, 12 March 2004

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
From today's San Francisco Chronicle (March 18) - a fairly long article about the "aimless travels" of this family, particularly when they lived on a series of boats in Marin County. This is just an excerpt.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2004/03/18/MNGTB5MUOE1.DTL

Fresno suspect stuck out in eccentric West Marin
Locals found him odd but harmless

The seemingly aimless travels of Marcus Delon Wesson and his large family landed him for a time in the quiet, seaside town of Marshall in rural Marin County, where he and his kin fixed up an old wooden tugboat for a voyage that never came. Wesson, 57, was an odd duck even in a tiny, insular community where loners and eccentrics have been known to hide out from the cruel fates. But nobody believed the "big, dreadlocked hippie-type guy," as one local described him, would ever harm anyone. . .

. . . . . But one could not help but notice the strange, disconnected way Wesson's children behaved around strangers, rarely addressing anyone or looking them in the eye, locals said. Wesson and his wife, Elizabeth, purportedly homeschooled all the children, but to most people, it seemed like a lonely, disordered way to live.

"Most of his kids were real quiet. They wouldn't talk to you or look at you," said Zahl, who ran into Wesson and his children often because their houseboat project was right next to where he stored his oyster bags. "Something seemed strange, and it was kind of a bizarre little construction project he was working on, putting furniture posts and bedposts on the boat. But it all seemed real positive, which makes what happened so surprising."

Jeremy Fisher-Smith, the owner of Fisher-Smith Boatworks, next to the harbor where Wesson's boats are still anchored, said everybody just assumed Wesson was eccentric.

"It was universally assumed that there was something odd about his domestic situation," he said. "All along, this person's behavior was abnormal, but this is America, where we pride ourselves on our diversity. So we gave him the benefit of the doubt."

Anna Konatich, who owns Tony's Seafood with her husband, Felix, said the children would often borrow water from the faucet out front, sometimes coming in the middle of the night. She said they were always polite, but bashful.

"I would tease them, asking them who is older and who is the boss, things like that," Konatich said. "They would just smile."

Konatich said at least two of the daughters worked at the nearby Marconi Conference Center, a state-owned retreat and conference center, and would regularly pass by on their way to work. She said she would often pass Wesson on the way to the post office.

"They were always sawing and pounding, and I would say to him, 'C'mon, this boat hasn't gotten very far,' " Konatich said. "He would smile and say, 'Tell them that,' gesturing toward his kids."

Last fall, sheriff's officers ordered Wesson and his family off the boats, which were deemed to be unsafe for children. They also didn't have any bathrooms, and locals were worried about effluent polluting Tomales Bay and poisoning nearby oyster beds, a major industry in Marshall.

Two officers from the Marin County sheriff's dive team sat in an inflatable boat next to the Sudan on Wednesday. Sgt. Doug Pittman, the sheriff's spokesman, said the team was "assisting the Fresno Police Department in their investigation" but would not elaborate.

The people in Marshall said they are mostly concerned now about the surviving children. Wesson's friend Bob said he doesn't know what went wrong.

"He loved his kids," Bob said. "They were all going to sail away together. "

Toth, I think that "artfully speaking" or CopSpeak must be par for the course.

Toth said:
>I read one account that police were in the front doorway of the home yet heard no shots.
.....Yet a housewife across the street apparently did hear shots and only heard them after the police had arrived.

>It will probably take a while to sort all the facts from the fiction in this case.
From what is emerging now, it appears that right from the start reports were rather artfully worded to avoid certain facts from becoming known.
I PERSONALLY STAND BEHIND EVERY ACTION THEY TOOK OR DIDN'T, IN THIS CASE.

If ever there was a case for mandatory sterilization, this is it. Wesson probably had at least 13 children, perhaps more, by God only knows how many women, including his own natural daughters. Nine of these children are now dead at the hands of their "loving" father. The surviving adult daughter/s have been used and abused by this creep. He has lived off the hard work of the women in his life, while he continues to breed and create more innocent children, whom he apparently murdered in cold blood.

Since he failed to provide adequate food and housing for his family, he should have been sterilized years ago. I can only hope that he never again gets close enough to a female to bring another baby into this world.

http://www.fresnobee.com/local/story/8300160p-9142019c.html

Mindys, From what I read in today's Bee, I think the City of Fresno is in deep trouble! Bet the lawyers are lining up to represent the mothers of the slain children in a mega lawsuit on the City of Fresno. Seems that the mothers heard gunshots, but the police did not? The mothers begged the police to enter the building because they feared for the lives of the children, but the police were waiting for a search warrant?

This explains why the police involved were put on paid administrative leave and needed counseling.

Not good news for Fresno. :(

Police often have a concern for their own safety that seems to override everything, including common sense. Unfortunately, thats not what they are paid for and if they don't want to actually do the job they should not sign on for it.

It seems that waiting for swat team or warrants or a fresh donut makes no difference, they knew if they waited the situation would be over if for no other reason than that he ran out of ammunition and targets. If he uses the last round on himself, they can drag out the silence and delay entry until double overtime pay!

Pepper said:
This explains why the police involved were put on paid administrative leave and needed counseling.
No it doesn't, the police were exposed to a scene of EXTREME BLOODY GORE AND DEATH, 7 CHILDREN!!!! Just the stench from all that blood surely caused some among them to hurl. Many officer's never deal with this kind of situation in a life-long career! That is why they needed leave. Wait till this goes to trial and hear for yourself what they found.

This lawsuit talk is laughable, they GAVE their children to a severly disturbed individual. That's called child abandonment, child endangerement. Too little, too late for them.

The police were NOT made aware that Wesson had a gun.

Also, as far as officer safety being most important, that is how police work is done. If officer safety was not paramount, we would have no police officers, because they would all be killed when confronted with their first potentially deadly situation.

It's not negligence, its what's more commonly known as "good police work".

Officers are risking their lives every day on the streets so that many of us can live the lifestyle we are accustomed to, they and their families make sacrifices to do so. I wish more people would recognize that fact, instead of just blaming the police when a situation turns tragic, like this one. The police are not to blame here. Blame the sicko who did it, not those who protect us.

You know, I'm getting a little sick and tired of people complaining about criminals who walk free because of a tiny little mistake made by the police department, yet now everyone is complaining because in this case THEY FOLLOWED PROCEDURE. We don't know yet if the children were all dead by the time the police department got there or not. However, if the cops in the scene went against procedure and broke the door down to get inside that house, this man may very well get away with the murders (however many he pulled off before they arrived - if that's what happened), because the cops didn't wait for a warrant or whatever they needed.

Some people will never be happy no matter which way these things are handled. I would say to those of you who think they could have done better to get up off your asses and go for it.

So what some of you are saying is that in this instance, when the police walked in to a situation with histerical women and one very calm man, that the police should have violated this man's civil rights and entered his house when he had showed no signs of doing anything wrong?

Do you know that is against the law?

And even if they did hear gunshots after they arrived, they didn't know what was really going on. They are not to just enter a scene where someone is firing a weapon unless they have some idea of what is going on. It was a hostage situation. What if the police had stormed the building and the man killed some children as they did so? Then some would be saying that the police should have waited because maybe he would not have killed any. That them storming into the building caused him to kill some children.

The police cannot win in a situation like this. And it is not fair to second guess their actions.

It's not fair to second guess but it is fair to have a complete investigation in light of differing stories.

It's a horrible tragedy that all those children died. It will be more horrible if it could have been avoided by different action.

mindys said:
No it doesn't, the police were exposed to a scene of EXTREME BLOODY GORE AND DEATH, 7 CHILDREN!!!! Just the stench from all that blood surely caused some among them to hurl. Many officer's never deal with this kind of situation in a life-long career! That is why they needed leave. Wait till this goes to trial and hear for yourself what they found.

This lawsuit talk is laughable, they GAVE their children to a severly disturbed individual. That's called child abandonment, child endangerement. Too little, too late for them.
I am not disagreeing with you, but I am stating what I believe may have happened, and you just wait, the city will PAY!

Currently there is a case here where some dumb a$$ was arrested for selling crack. Rather than be caught redhanded with the evidence, the dumb $hit swalled the rock. After he was taken to jail, he began to heave. Bottom line, he died! The city is currently being sued by the family of this , because they say the police should have KNOWN that he swallowed the crack, yet they did not call the paramedics until it was too late!! City will probably settle, and pay out.

Problem is the City doesn't want trials, and settling is something the city fathers consider a better alternative than an expensive civil trial. I could give you other examples too.

I still think the enormity of this situation together with the realization that the murders were taking place while they were outside is what caused the grief counseling and paid leave.

The police officers in this case will never fully recover. Seriously. Those hours that they spent unraveling the bodies of dead children...they'll never be able to completely get over this. The smell of rotting flesh is acrid, horrid and something that still burns my nostrils when I remember the crime scenes I used to be on when I was a paramedic. These police officers really need our prayers!

You know, this is the HARDEST case of all for me to discuss, read or even ponder.

Anyone else feel this way? Incest, murder, polygamy- it's just too much for me.

I'm sure that what the officers found was a gruesome sight to be sure. But if the victims were all killed in the time the officers were outside the premise, I doubt if the bodies had time to rot.

Yes, this case is really disturbing. Other than an insanity plea, I can't imagine what he could possibly have for a defense. This man is pure evil.

Pepper said:
I'm sure that what the officers found was a gruesome sight to be sure. But if the victims were all killed in the time the officers were outside the premise, I doubt if the bodies had time to rot.
That one would be hard to explain away. Not hearing a shot (or two) could easliy happen (people yelling at the front door, etc), but it would be difficult to miss 7 or 8 shots. Once someone said they heard shots, the officers would be listening for them, and have everyone quiet down, or move them off.

Its difficult to "not hear a shot or two" when a housewife at a much greater distance and behind her walls, heard gunshots. One might expect a police officer to be somewhat attuned to the sound of gunfire.

Polygamy exists in several areas, it is rarely any sort of problem.
I have no idea how common incest may be, but it was not an immediate and life-threatening problem.

Pepper said:
Of course, they didn't have time to rot. But, you must not realize that blood has a very strong distinctive odor, and the amount that was present in this crime was immense. A person just can't ever forget that once it's encountered. Just one example, if you followed the Darlie Routier case, you might recall the officer's at that crime scene commenting that they could smell the blood as soon as they walked into the entry way of that home and that it was wretching.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back