CA - Sergio Aguiar, 2, beaten to death, Turlock, 14 June 2008

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
No way someone in their 50's would be considered elderly, by any standard.
To me that's 65 or older.

I honestly don't think 'elderly' until 80s. seriously!

it's possibly because i was raised by grandparents born in 1900 & 1903 respectively. :confused::confused::confused:

I think of elderly when people can no longer help theirselves or need help to do many things. 50 is definitely not elderly. As for the people who did nothing I dont know why and I know I couldnt take down a man but I sure would have got my husband if he was with me to do something and maybe if we both did then the child would be safe. Its such a sad situation.

I've been profoundly affected by this. I know it has something to do with my job - still...

I've thought long and hard about this event. I've questioned the reaction of those there on the scene and questioned my reaction to just "reading" about it. I must say that any thoughts of my own safety would have been farthest from my mind. Chances are the child was dead before his dad ever stopped on the highway but I wouldn't have even thought about that. My gut reaction (which is the one I usually act on) would have been to stop the guy - to take him down, to do whatever necessary to stop him.

There comes a time in our lives when we are in a situation where instinct takes over. If I would have stood by - suredly horrified and frightened - and NOT done something, I would never be able to lift my head up. For the rest of my life, I would have had the deep, hidden knowledge that I should have - might have been able to do something.

I am not putting anyone down nor am I criticizing the behavior of the bystanders. I'm just me - and this is who I am. Peace.

I've been profoundly affected by this. I know it has something to do with my job - still...

I've thought long and hard about this event. I've questioned the reaction of those there on the scene and questioned my reaction to just "reading" about it. I must say that any thoughts of my own safety would have been farthest from my mind. Chances are the child was dead before his dad ever stopped on the highway but I wouldn't have even thought about that. My gut reaction (which is the one I usually act on) would have been to stop the guy - to take him down, to do whatever necessary to stop him.

There comes a time in our lives when we are in a situation where instinct takes over. If I would have stood by - suredly horrified and frightened - and NOT done something, I would never be able to lift my head up. For the rest of my life, I would have had the deep, hidden knowledge that I should have - might have been able to do something.

I am not putting anyone down nor am I criticizing the behavior of the bystanders. I'm just me - and this is who I am. Peace.

After reading some comments about blood being all over the inside of the truck, I too think he may have been dead long before but you never know.

Can we charge these wusses with a crime? Failure to stop a man so out of his mind he's beating his child to death? Are they as guilty as the father?

Sometimes heroics get you murdered. I know as my grandpop was blown away by a shotgun. Buried without a head. Without a face. He stepped up to the plate. Jumped in front of a woman punks were accosting. Several of his friends were present. They were never the same again. The woman he helped died a few years later at an early age. The poor lady never could live right again while my grandmom raised her children alone. The woman's husband who was present at the time lost his mind as my grandpop was his friend. Bought the plot. Totally lost his mind.

Six minutes. Just six minutes from the time a 911 call came in about the man beating the baby to the father being shot. Six minutes. I could never judge those people. They had no idea if that guy had a gun. A knife. A crazed lunatic. Are they partly responsible for that little boy's death?

It sounds like generally we're on the same wavelength. BUT...what keeps running through my mind is the fact that 9 times out of 10, when I'm out in my car, I have my 3.5 year old daughter with me. While I KNOW that my instinct and wish would be to help, I would also have to consider *her* safety in the situation, kwim? I have no idea (I haven't read the article....just can't) if any of the people who stopped had children with them.......I just know that it probably would alter *my* ability to act.

This happened literally a few streets down from me. I live in the country between Turlock and Crows Landing(Modesto just a few miles away). I'm surprised I didn't hear the sirens since I usually hear them when accidents happen.

Stanislaus County is a high crime area. Lots of drug and gang activity here.

This happened literally a few streets down from me. I live in the country between Turlock and Crows Landing(Modesto just a few miles away). I'm surprised I didn't hear the sirens since I usually hear them when accidents happen.

Stanislaus County is a high crime area. Lots of drug and gang activity here.

Welcome Buckethead. Sorry under such awful circumstances though.

You didn't hear the helicopter then, either? Do you guys have alot of helicopter activity out there? It must be difficult being so close to a place where such a horrific crime happened. Thanks for your input, BH.

I’m in the car, kids, and I’m not getting out! I am feeling some collective disappointment because these bystanders opted not to act with violence. I don’t have it in me to hurt someone. I have no kung fu skills. I wouldn’t even begin to respond in a physical fashion, and I will not question anyone’s judgment under these circumstances. If someone is so sick as to stop a vehicle in the middle of a road way, remove a child from a carseat and stomp him to death, how exactly should one physically prevent him from this barbaric act in the span of three to four minutes? This is my version: “Excuse me sir, sir, um, could you, um, like move your car over? I’m late for everything. Tough day?”

If I somehow magically grew balls, from a litigious standpoint I would also be fearful of paying for years of this dude’s feeding tube should my mighty arm somehow inflict a hearty head injury. With the uninsured population (myself included at times), I don’t want to tangle with anyone for any reason. I don’t leave the country. I don’t drive on holidays. I’m monogamous. I don’t go to clubs. I’m home by midnight. No strangers. Safety first.

It seems as though reasonable efforts were made by people to report, distract, and intervene. Multiple calls to authorities were made to provide information, and everyone stayed on the scene to offer help. I feel for them. And, I feel badly about the commentary on their behavior. This wasn’t their thing, and they were just doing day-to-day life. In a few weeks, we won't remember these few minutes.

I’m in the car, kids, and I’m not getting out! I am feeling some collective disappointment because these bystanders opted not to act with violence. I don’t have it in me to hurt someone. I have no kung fu skills. I wouldn’t even begin to respond in a physical fashion, and I will not question anyone’s judgment under these circumstances. If someone is so sick as to stop a vehicle in the middle of a road way, remove a child from a carseat and stomp him to death, how exactly should one physically prevent him from this barbaric act in the span of three to four minutes? This is my version: “Excuse me sir, sir, um, could you, um, like move your car over? I’m late for everything. Tough day?”

If I somehow magically grew balls, from a litigious standpoint I would also be fearful of paying for years of this dude’s feeding tube should my mighty arm somehow inflict a hearty head injury. With the uninsured population (myself included at times), I don’t want to tangle with anyone for any reason. I don’t leave the country. I don’t drive on holidays. I’m monogamous. I don’t go to clubs. I’m home by midnight. No strangers. Safety first.

It seems as though reasonable efforts were made by people to report, distract, and intervene. Multiple calls to authorities were made to provide information, and everyone stayed on the scene to offer help. I feel for them. And, I feel badly about the commentary on their behavior. This wasn’t their thing, and they were just doing day-to-day life. In a few weeks, we won't remember these few minutes.

Bertajo, thank you for your post. I've read comments that are similar on the online news forums' discussion areas. I respect your honesty.
I was wondering today: how "smart" is it for a mother of young children to step forward, ill-prepared for a fight with a mad man, and risk leaving her children motherless?

To me the question is, if it were my child and my husband doing the stomping and beating, would I want someone to intervene?

Of course, two did intervene the best way they could. I think it may have taken more than two to bring him down. In fact, it took a bullet and perfect aim.

I'm jumping in here late, but from what I have read in the media, there were several people who tried to stop this guy and were literally pushed off by him I cannot blame any bystander for trying to do the *very* best that they could. People tried their damnest. I mean, an LE officier ended up shooting this .

That little boy had many a person try to save him. They tried. Blessings to them all and I hope they do not carry any guilt for this child's death. They didn't cause it...

I think several of us would have been that way, philamena. : )

Some people just wouldn't do anything other than call 911 and they may have their reasons. They have the rest of their lives to think about whether or not that was all they could do.

In this case, it was probably too late from the moment they saw this guy.

R.I.P. Little Sergio

I agree! Didn't anyone have a tire iron, wrench, or something else in their car that they could swing at this guy? Even if they only slightly injured him, it might have distracted him enough to get the child. I guess people these days are more concerned with covering their own *ss than doing the right thing. How could 4-6 people stand around and watch this happen to a CHILD!!??? This is so, so sad, and my heart aches for the mom.

thank you for your post....i appreciated it a lot because i've thought about this case all day. what would i do? your post hit a cord with me because i am very cautious and like you, i also do not drive on holidays and consider safety first.

i'd like to think that i'd jump right in and save that little boy. i wonder if my fear would have stopped me, or if my maternal instinct would have kicked in? i would hope that something would "kick in" and i'd have some serious adrenaline and do SOMETHING. i know if it were my child(ren) i'd want someone to do something and i know if it were my child, there isn't a thing i wouldn't do....but i can't say for sure that i wouldn't let my fear get the best of me. i just can't give myself enough credit without having been there because i am quite the scaredy cat when it comes to things such as this. however, i honestly can't imagine NOT doing something when just reading this story has broken my heart in two. had i been there, would i have jumped in and grabbed him? i hope so you guys....i really do.

i am proud to be a member here because i know so many of you would, without a doubt, jump in and do something. :blowkiss: i'd like to think i would too. i always mean well and give to others above myself so i am not a selfish person....but i would be scared. i hope that that fear wouldn't paralyze me and keep me from acting....but how could i be sure? i don't judge anyone for their actions here. i think the police officer deserves a medal and i feel for the witnesses. but what it all boils down to is, we are all just human. the only person to blame is the father.

i wish the little guy could have been saved. my heart breaks for him, for his mom. he won't ever be far from my thoughts. :(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FindIreneFlemingWAState
Back